[Guide]Dell Inspirion 17R SE (7720) Installation Guide

WaldMeister

207 posts in this topic

- Where to start?:

A nice guide on how to create your own USB installer is provided here: http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/
I do recommend using this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302220-pandoras-box-20-candidate-3-roll-out/
It's self-explanatory.

If you only run Windows at the moment, install OS X into a virtual machine, and follow the guide from there.

- What will not work?:

- Wifi, you will have to replace the card, i switched mine with an Atheros 9285. Note: After replacing, your Bluetooth will not work anymore, so an USB Wifi device would be the better option perhaps.
- Card reader, no solution for this at the moment.
- Nvidia GT 650M, the card has been completely disabled in the DSDT. If this is not done it will make your system freeze on startup if the NVDA* and GeForce* kexts are not removed. Also, the system will overheat if it is not disabled. Since you can not use the card, it is best to disable it.

- Wake from sleep, the display does not wake up. This has been fixed in the new DSDT attached to this post.

- HDMI out. Requires patching of the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri to enable AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x03. On every update of OS X you will need to patch this file again before rebooting. Not patching or editing the DSDT before reboot will result in a black screen. ​New patch enables HDMI audio out and corrects the vram to 512mb.

- What will partially work?:
- Touchpad, recognized as trackpad, only basic input, no gestures like 2 finger scrolling.
- Audio, LineIn and the subwoofer will not work.
- FN keys, for Audio and Wifi  FN keys for brightness have been fixed.
- USB 3.0, depends if you want compatibility with USB 2.0 flash drives. Both devices work. Booting with GenericUSBXHCI, have not tested without it.

- Lan, only with specific settings. Official Realtek driver. Realtek Driver.

- So...What does work?:
- Speedstep
- Sleep, patched IntelCPUPowerManagement or an unlocked bios.
- Intel HD4000, DSDT injection, patched AGPM. (Need to explore)
- Audio, line out, speakers, HDMI and internal mic, DSDT injection and a patched AppleHDA.
- Battery status, ACPIBatteryManager and DSDT edit. Corrections have been made in the DSDT attached.
- Webcam
- Brightness control, in system preferences.

- 1. Pre-Installation.

- Download the EFI15022015.zip from this post and place it on your desktop. When you opened Pandora's Box, select bootloader > Clover UEFI, click start.

I had some issues with Pandora installing the bootloader.

- When Pandora is done download Clover configurator, select mount EFI, on the bottom right corner, Mount EFI partition, and select the USB s1 (disk2s1 in most cases).

- Open folder, it will be empty, just copy the EFI folder to that partition.

- 2. Installation.

Boot from the USB installer, it will boot in verbose mode, if any error occurs, you can take a photo of it and attach it to a post here. 

First you need to prepare the HDD to install Yosemite on. I recommend using and empty HDD, format it to GPT, with 1 partition formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Now go through the setup and select your newly created partition. Grab a cup of coffee or something.

- 3. Installing a bootloader.

After installation the system will reboot. Boot from the USB installer again. When you arrive at the Clover boot loader screen, select the partition you have just installed OS X to, and press enter. 

OS X will load, go through the system setup.

The first thing you want to do is install a bootloader to the HDD. I have attached the files needed for Clover. A guide on how to install Clover can be found at the bottom of this post, under the spoiler.

You can also use Clover Configurator, makes things a lot easier. 

- 4. Patching AppleHDA.kext

A guide on how to do this can be found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283754-patched-applehdakext-for-codecs-idt-92hd81b1x5-92hd91bxx-92hd87b13-92hd87b24-92hd87xx-etc/

Pinconfig: 

00a71c20 00a71d10 00a71ea1 00a71f00  
00b71c10 00b71d10 00b71e21 00b71f00
00d71c40 00d71d00 00d71e17 00d71f90
00e71cf0 00e71d00 00e71e00 00e71f40
00f71c50 00f71d00 00f71e00 00f71f40
01071c60 01071d00 01071e00 01071f40
01171c30 01171d00 01171ea3 01171fd0
01f71c70 01f71d00 01f71e00 01f71f40
02071c80 02071d00 02071e00 02071f40 

- 5. AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

It is no longer needed to change the device id in the DSDT. Former patch method can still be found in the old guide.

I have included a file called: aifc09022015.sh, just drag and drop it in the Terminal window, type "y" to patch the kext.

This patch will make the following changes in the AppleIntelFramebufferCapri:

Original section:

04 00 66 01 01 03 01 01 00 00 00 02 
00 00 00 01 00 00 00 40 10 07 00 00 
10 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 50 03 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 
05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 
00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 

40 In the second line is the vram, 40 stands for 1024mb. We change this to 20 so that OS X will detect 512mb.

05 03 00 etc is the display device, as you can see, only the internal LCD is defined, so we need to add the HDMI outputs. The default ones from device id 03006601 only detect the display output, no sound. I've taken the HDMI devices from device id 03006601 and added them corrected to 04006601. It looks like this: 

04 00 66 01 01 02 04 02 00 00 00 04 
00 00 00 01 00 00 00 20 10 07 00 00 
10 07 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 
05 03 00 00 02 00 00 00 30 02 00 00 
02 05 00 00 00 08 00 00 07 04 00 00
03 04 00 00 00 08 00 00 81 00 00 00 
04 06 00 00 00 08 00 00 81 00 00 00 

More information about this subject can be found here: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2945-guide-for-enabling-vga-and-hdmi-in-intel-hd4000-gpu/

- 6. AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.

Switched to a new model.

To edit this kext, copy it from /System/Library/Extensions to ~/Desktop.

Now right click on the kext, and show package contents. Open Contents and open the Info.plist with Plisteditor. Now search for the following: 

Mac-4B7AC7E43945597E

Under this, you will find something like the following code (Select the whole IGPU section): 

<key>IGPU</key>
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>BusyDownThresholdPercent</key>
<integer>70</integer>
<key>BusyUpThresholdPercent</key>
<integer>90</integer>
<key>DiagnosticModeDefault</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>EvaluateDownInterval</key>
<integer>350000</integer>
<key>EvaluateUpInterval</key>
<integer>66000</integer>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>SensorOption</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>16</integer>
<key>max-power-state</key>
<integer>15</integer>
<key>min-power-state</key>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

Replace it with the following:

<key>Vendor8086Device0166</key>
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>EnableOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>16</integer>
<integer>18</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

Save the file, and install the edited kext.

- 6. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

If you do not have an unlocked bios, or the patch option enabled in Clover, you need to patch this kext to prevent kernel panics. 

To edit this kext, open Terminal and type the following:

sudo -s
*password*

I have included a file called: aicpm.sh, just drag and drop it in the Terminal window, type "y" to patch the kext. You're done. 

Patch:

perl -pi -e 's|\xE2\x00\x00\x00\x0F\x30|\xE2\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Changes:

09-02-2015

- Partially rewritten the guide.

- Added update scripts/patches

- Added a new Clover package with updated kexts and a new DSDT.

13-02-2015

- Replaced the 09-02-2015 Clover package with EFI13022015.zip

- Touchpad is now recognized as Trackpad in System Preferences. No 2 finger scrolling, but works as intended.

- FN+F4 and FN+F5 now work to change the brightness.

15-02-2015

- Enabled XCPM

- Fixed aifc script.

Old Guide:

Based on the following topic, i think it is time to create a guide: http://www.insanelym...n-7720-run-mac/

- Where to start?:
A nice guide on how to create your own USB installer is provided here: http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/
I do recommend using this method: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302220-pandoras-box-20-candidate-3-roll-out/

It's self-explanatory.

If you only run Windows at the moment, install OS X into a virtual machine, and follow the guide from there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- What will not work?:

- Wifi, you will have to replace the card, i switched mine with an Atheros 9285. Note: After replacing, your Bluetooth will not work anymore, so an USB Wifi device would be the better option perhaps.
- Card reader, no solution for this at the moment.
- Nvidia GT 650M, the card has been completely disabled in the DSDT. If this is not done it will make your system freeze on startup if the NVDA* and GeForce* kexts are not removed. Also, the system will overheat if it is not disabled. Since you can not use the card, it is best to disable it.

- Wake from sleep, the display does not wake up.

- What will partially work?:
- Touchpad, only basic input, no gestures like 2 finger scrolling.
- Audio, LineIn and the subwoofer will not work.
- FN keys, for Audio and Wifi
- USB 3.0, depends if you want compatibility with USB 2.0 flash drives.

- Lan, only with specific settings. Official Realtek driver.

- So...What does work?:
- Speedstep
- Sleep, patched IntelCPUPowerManagement or an unlocked bios.
- Intel HD4000, DSDT injection, patched AGPM.
- Audio, line out, speakers, and internal mic, DSDT injection and a patched AppleHDA.
- Battery status, patched AppleSmartBatteryManager and AppleACPIPlatform.
- Webcam
- Brightness control, in system preferences.

- 1. Pre-Installation.

If you have followed the url at the top of this post, you should have an USB installer by now. Copy the contents of the USB.zip to the USB installer, and replace everything. 

I have added the kexts for USB 2.0 compatibility, to prevent the "Still waiting for root device" error. They are located in /System/Library/Extensions in the archive, the folder structure has been preserved, so you can just copy the Extra and System folder to the USB installer.

Now you are ready to install.

- 2. Installation.

Boot from the USB installer, it will boot in verbose mode, if any error occurs, you can take a photo of it and attach it to a post here. 

First you need to prepare the HDD to install Mountain Lion on. I recommend using and empty HDD, format it to GPT, with 1 partition formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Now go through the setup and select your newly created partition. When you have used Pandora to create the installer, you can select advanced options, i'm not going through them, because the post installation files are attached to this post. To make things easier, you can select them before starting the installation.

- 3. Installing a bootloader.

After installation the system will reboot. Boot from the USB installer again. When you arrive at the Clover boot loader screen, select the partition you have just installed OS X to, and press enter. 

OS X will load, go through the system setup.

The first thing you want to do is install a bootloader to the HDD. I have attached the files needed for Chameleon and for Clover. I recommend using Clover, a guide on how to install Clover can be found at the bottom of this post, under the spoiler.

A guide on how to install Chameleon manually can be found here: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649

You can also use an installer, i recommend Enoch, which can be found here: http://onehalfkiller.com/?p=605

The difference between the 2 options, is that if you use an installer, the bootloader will be installed to the OS X partition. So if you re-install OS X, and format that partition, the bootloader will be gone, so i prefer installing it manually to the EFI partition.

After you have installed the bootloader of your choice, replace the contents with the package attached, Clover.zip for Clover, Chameleon.zip for Chameleon.

- 4. Installing kexts.

Attached is the HDD.zip, these files should be installed to the partition OS X is on. 

The following kexts have been included: 

- FakeSMC. Mandatory to boot OS X.

- AppleHDA. Patched for IDT 92HD91BXX.

- ApplePS2Controller. To get trackpad working.

- AppleACPIPlatform and AppleSmartBatteryManager. Shows the battery status.

- IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage. This is a rollback to enable USB 2.0 storage devices to be recognized.

- AppleGraphicsPowerManagement. From 10.8.4, it has been edited to enable this kext for use with the Intel HD4000 and the MacBookPro8,3 model set. This will increase system performance significantly. I will explain later on in this guide how to edit the info.plist, if needed, you can do this yourself on an older platform.

- AppleIntelFramebufferCapri. This has been patched to enable the AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x03 instead of the 0x04, the System Profiler will show 512mb again after 10.8.1 without a rollback. Also the 10.8.4 kext, a patch is attached to this post to automate the process on older platforms. 

-AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Not included, explained below. 

To install kexts, use a utility like Kext Wizard or Kext Drop.

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement:

To edit this kext, copy it from /System/Library/Extensions to ~/Desktop.

Now right click on the kext, and show package contents. Open Contents and open the Info.plist with Plisteditor. Now search for the following: 

MacBookPro8,3

Under this, you will find something like the following code (Select the whole IGPU section): 

<key>IGPU</key>
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>BusyDownThresholdPercent</key>
<integer>70</integer>
<key>BusyUpThresholdPercent</key>
<integer>90</integer>
<key>DiagnosticModeDefault</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>EvaluateDownInterval</key>
<integer>350000</integer>
<key>EvaluateUpInterval</key>
<integer>66000</integer>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>2</integer>
<key>SensorOption</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>16</integer>
<integer>15</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

Replace it with the following:

<key>Vendor8086Device0166</key>
<dict>
<key>Heuristic</key>
<dict>
<key>EnableOverride</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>ID</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
<key>control-id</key>
<integer>16</integer>
<integer>18</integer>
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

Save the file, and install the edited kext.

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri:

sudo -s
*password*

I have included a file called: aifc.sh, just drag and drop it in the Terminal window, type "y" to patch the kext.

To enable the 512mb, open the DSDT.aml and change the following in method _DSM under Device IGPU:

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x04, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                        },

to:

"AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0x03, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
                        },

You're done.

Note that if you update your system, it is best to revert this change, because you could end up with a black screen after reboot, if the patched file is replaced. The 384mb issue is resolved in Mavericks, perhaps also in 10.8.5.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement:

If you do not have an unlocked bios, you need to patch this kext to prevent kernel panics. 

sudo -s
*password*

I have included a file called: aicpm.sh, just drag and drop it in the Terminal window, type "y" to patch the kext. You're done. 

- 5. Reboot:

Now, if you have gone through the above steps, your system should be all set up, and you should be able to boot directly from the HDD. If i have missed anything, let me know. 

Changelog:

-----------------------------------------------------------------Update 24/02/2013:-----------------------------------------------------------------
USB_BOOT package:
- Added kexts for USB 2.0 flash drive compatibility

DSDT.aml
- NVDIA GeForce GT 650m is properly disabled now.
- Scope_PR updated to reduce CPU heat.
- Device are shown as PCI devices in System Profiler.

Added IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorageClass as a separate download, if you want or need USB 2.0 flash drive compatibility, you will have to install them to /System/Library/Extensions after installation. (Thanks dit3 for pointing this issue out)
Note: This will reduce the USB 3.0 flash drive speed to work as an USB 2.0 flash drive.

Realtek driver for lan can be found here: http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

-----------------------------------------------------------------Update 01/04/2013:-----------------------------------------------------------------
- Added AppleHDA for 10.8.3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------Update 08/04/2013:-----------------------------------------------------------------
- Wake will not work with 10.8.3, the screen stays black. From the information gathered on the net, it has something to do with the changes Apple made to SMC. No sollution at the time, except to revert to 10.8.2.
- Guide updated to include Pandora's Box.
- Added Clover files. (Information on how to do this will follow)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------Update 24/06/2013:-----------------------------------------------------------------

- Re-wrote the guide, i consider this a proper guide now.

- Replaced the attachments, when downloading a file, it's self explanatory where to place/install the files.

- Added shell scripts for easy patching.

- The DSDT in the zip files has been rebuild. Method DTGP has been left out, it is not needed anymore. The scopes have been sorted. 

- Added extra information/kexts to increase performance.

How to install Clover and add it to the UEFI Boot menu:
- Be careful when replacing the current boot loader, your system may become unbootable if you skip a step, or do not pay attention! (Click show)

To UEFI boot Clover, we need to install it to a FAT32 partition, UEFI will only find partitions in this format.
I recommend to test Clover on a USB stick formatted in FAT32, and just copy the files to it, before actually replacing the current bootloader.

1.)
First we need to find the HDD that has OS X installed on a GUID partition table, and look for the EFI partition. Open terminal and type:

sudo -s
type password
diskutil list

diskutil_list.png

I have Clover already installed on disk0s1, for this guide i will install it to disk1s1, which is my spare HDD, also formatted to GPT.

2.)
We need to apply a new filesystem to the EFI partition, remember to replace the X corresponding to your disk setup.
In terminal enter:

newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/diskXsX

newfs.png

It will give an error, you can ignore it. The EFI partition has been formatted to FAT32 and can now be recognized by UEFI.

3.)
Now it is time to mount the EFI partition and copy the needed files. Type the following into terminal, remember tot replace the X's:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/diskXsX /Volumes/EFI

mount.png
Go to finder, on the left hand side, you will now have a disk called EFI.

4.)
Now download the EFI09022015.zip, if not done already. After extraction, you will have a folder called EFI, copy the folder with all the contents to the EFI partition.
move.png

To this:

moved.png

5.)
Go back to terminal and type the following, replace the X's:

umount -f /dev/diskXsX
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

Now Clover has been installed to the EFI partition, now it is time to add the boot option to the UEFI boot menu.

- Restart your system and press F2 multiple times, you should now enter the bios.
- Go to the Boot options tab, use the arrow keys. (What keys you can use, are described at the bottom of the screen.)
DSCN0802.jpg
- My setup will probably differ from yours, change them accordingly, select add boot option and press enter.
DSCN0803.jpg
- Now enter a name, i use Clover, press tab, and select either HDD (If you have Clover installed to the EFI partition) or USB (if you have installed Clover to a USB device on a FAT32 partition), you can select it with the arrow keys. Now press tab and enter: EFI\BOOT\Cloverx64.efi
Press tab again, select ok, and press Enter.
DSCN0804.jpg
- Clover has now been added to the boot menu. Move up with the arrow keys until Clover is highlighted, press +. Press F10 and Enter. (Or follow the screens)
DSCN0806.jpg
DSCN0807.jpg
DSCN0808.jpg
DSCN0809.jpg
- The system will now reboot, and Clover should load. Select the OS X partition and press Enter, OS X will boot.
DSCN0814.jpg

Now, if you get a kernel panic, press the power button for 10 sec, and start the system again. If you get another kernel panic, see if you can boot in safe mode. If safe mode fails, revert to Chameleon, that's what USB testing is for.

aicpm.sh.zip

aifc.sh.zip

Chameleon.zip

Clover.zip

HDD.zip

USB.zip

aicpm09022015.sh.zip

aifc15022015.sh.zip

EFI15022015.zip

• Like 10

Thank you for the guide... but still I am having problems with booting the install.."Still waiting for root device" .. I have read that it can be issue with USB3.. but 7720 has only USB3 ports... can you give me some tip??

I have AHCI, also USB Emulation since I have installed Arch Linux on SSD and W7 to the 1TB drive... booting using EFI, Linux and Windows directly as EFI entry and for safe mode rEFInd bootmgr and UEFI shell... also have legacy support rom enabled...

How dit you get the UEFI boot to function? I even called Dell, and they could not help, told me it was a feature still in development.

Anyway, i have no SSD, legacy boot enabled, and i'm using a branch of Chameleon bootloader, the only one that works for me at the moment (Need to update that in the guide perhaps) .

Try booting with these flags:

npci=x2000 -v UseKernelCache=No

Hi, here is very raw instructions of my setup http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19491913/20301817.aspx#20301817 and also description of some BIOS related issues http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19483232/20299291.aspx#20299291 ..

but back to Mac OS :) .. tryed options you provided, but result is the same.. also tryed 0x3000.. also tryed patch from here, I think it can be the issue.. but I dont know how to determine which version of 10.8 i have... the last link contains 3 updates, 10.8,10.8.1,10.8.2

Any ideas ?

You could also try: PCIRootUUID=0 DSDT=No

Could also be that you need to add extra kexts to the Extra/Extensions folder.

IOAHCIBlockStorage is what you would be looking at, there should be injectors available on the web :)

To find out the version, think i found a way outside of OS X.

Best to boot in Linux, insert the installation media. Probably you'll have to show hidden files, if any.

Navigate to: /System/Library/SystemProfiler/SPOSReporter.spreporter/Contents/ and open the Info.plist with a text editor.

Look for the line: <key>DTSDKBuild</key>

<string>12A251</string> = 10.8 (My installer)

<string>12B2501</string> = 10.8.2 (Installed system)

Don't know about 10.8.1, but if the string differs, do a quick search on google :)

Thank you for your support!! I appreciate it. About PCIRootUUID, is that typo or it really differs from PCIRootUID, because in verbose mode in early boot I can see PCI-Root-UID is 0 .. so it is default value.. I have also tryed tu put there 1 as I saw in some other forum.

I have checked my flash drive and based on your info I have 10.8 installer too...

DSDT=No, doest not changed anything... I have aslo tryed to do lots of combinatios of flags + also removed HDD and SDD, switched BIOS to pure legacy mode without UEFI... but still the same :( I cant beleave that our laptos differs in that way, that I cannot even boot installer :( .. Could you be so kind and copare your pure, untouched, DSDT with mine? Maybe Dell changed something..

dsdt.txt

Yeah, typo, sorry :$

Applied the basic patches to your DSDT, the .txt is what i used to see if there was a difference between the 2.

The - is from your DSDT, the + is mine.

Also attached my untouched DSDT.

But it should not give these problems. Hope the DSDT works, it's a shot in the dark.

Also, to get the kexts to load from the Extra folder, you will need to boot with -f, or UseKernelCache=No, both do the same thing.

DSDTdit3.aml.zip

dsdt.txt

acpi_dsdt.aml.zip

• Like 1

Hello from my new 10.8 :) ... well I was offline for a while, trying to find some solution... well I got pissed off enough so I did it my dirty way... I have booted Linux and started VirtualBox and in terminal created virtual disks which pointed to my HDD and USB FLASH DISK, added them as SATA devices, changed access permission to those devices. Turned off DSDT and installed vanilla in VBox but destinated to my physical hdd, reboot and booted up via USB.. the problem must be in USB.. perhaps you had USB3.0 flash disk... dunno... but finaly I am in.. need to find some EFI bootloader and install kexts.. to connect me online I use my HTC EVO 3D, connected my phone to WiFi and turned on bluetooth tethering.. paired my phone via BT and here I am.. do you recommend me to use DSDT you have prepaired for me or should I use your ? Still ...that

BTW it is better to realign HDD before running Mac OS installer, since it was installing on the mouted HDD on running system, safe solution would be to do it from Linux live distro...

• Like 1

You can use that DSDT, has the basic patches needed to run OSX. As bootloader i can recommend Clover.

And i used a 3.0 flash disk indeed. Thanks for sharing the solution, never thought of that.

Off topic: Had my first uefi boot, after long trial and error, seems with the A12 bios the boot menu does not work.

I am fighting with Clover from my last post :D .. as I read, it should be able of auto DSDT patching, auto SMBIOS and other magics.. so it seems like you have Clover runnig.. could you be so kind and share with me your EFI partition contents please ? It would be helpfull.. I have read that booting with UEFI bootloader changes lots of things for Mac OS, compared with Chameleon way... for windows and linux it doesnt make any significant difference, but you dont have to hack anything :D

I had some Clover r8xx, which was not showing Mac OS entry, so I downloaded latest r1xxx and now I have only black screen..weird...

BTW when I plug USB2 devices, mac dont see it :/ so definetly it the problem was that it was waiting on flash to mout root, but flash was ignored by darvin...

I tested it on an USB drive. I use Enoch, a branch of Chameleon myself, so i can't really help with that, did not explore the bootloader, just wanted to see if it loads. Will start playing with it this evening, hopefully we can share some experiences concerned to clover.

Will download another version, since it did not show my OSX partition also.

first version of clover had in installer in Drivers64 driver for HFS, so I guess thats what was missing.. BUT on the latest version I am missing that option

EDIT: confirmed, so I was missing HFS driver, that the reason why I have not seen my Mac.. I have it... also I had black screen on the latest build, but solved it by editing some 2 configs and also turned on loging to file(very helpful)..

Hello again, so yesterday I managed to make Clover working...

It includes all neded drivers, so just extract it directly to your EFI partition and in bios add UEFI entry to /EFI/BOOT/CLOVERX64.efi... I would appreciate if you played a bit with that config, because it is very inteligent bootloader and I dont know how to analyse impact on OSX.. for example, even when I am loading your DSDT(I hope), my NVIDIA card is still active.. when GPU injection was active I would say that my NVIDIA was somehow activeted because it was also showing PCI port in wchich it claimed to be connected... so I am bit confused, hope you will make this better :)

BTW everything included in my ZIP has latest versions...

EDIT: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/ this is very detailed guide to Clover... since I dont know really much about DSDT, I cannot decide what to conf to perform best

EFI.zip

• Like 1

OMG, I have installed update from 10.8 to 10.8.2 via AppStore and my Mac OS does not load any more :( When kernel logging screen disapears then it turns on graphical screen, it is all grey and in the moment when the apple should apear it reboots immediatelly :( did you had such problem?

Boot with -s and type in the following after it loads:

mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAGK100Hal.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartup.kext
shutdown -r now

On reboot, boot with -f -v.

Thank you, I will try that... do you beleave that in some bright future USB 2.0 will be working? Or is that something none kext or DSDT patch cannot solve...? You know, most of the WiFi usb dongles are 2.0 ...

That should work, from what i know, it's only the 2.0 flash drives that do not work. It is possible to get them to work, but then, the USB 3.0 devices will only work on USB 2.0 speed.

If that is ok, then download the IOUSBMassStorageClass and IOUSBFamily from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281476-can-the-dell-inspiron-17r-notebook-inspiron-7720-run-mac/page__st__60?do=findComment&comment=1881406

• Like 1

Thank you very much Lejenk.., I dont care about speed, more important is compatibility for me... by the way DSDT you attached works like a charm!! At least I know that Clover is loading custom DSDTs :D Have you tryed EFI partition I have shared?

• Like 1

Will update the first post this evening then :)

Yes i did, could not load it from HDD, so reverted to chameleon, got boot0 error, and had to erase my HDD to reinstall :P

Trying to get windows setup to load by uefi now, but also no succes, think i'll have to wait for a bios update :)