1 reply to this topic

Bucheron

Bucheron

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I got a fully Hackintosh running and its working like a charm. I ordered some new HDD to expand the capacity and while expanding I would like to review my Hackintosh setup with the following, I did some research but couldn't find any real info, I would like to make a switch on the case that lets me decide which OS will boot up.

Setup: SSD + HDD -> OSX (switch position 1) and SSD + HDD -> WIN (switch position 2). (makes a total of 4 HDD)

Is it possible to make a switch between the power and the HDD, if in position 1 only the two HDD of OSX will be able to boot and if in position 2 only the HDD of WIN will get power and they are able to boot.

Will this give any trouble for the bootloader?

Thanks in advance.

Arie

3.14r2

3.14r2

The Round One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
Why would you want this?

It is possible and in fact can be easily done (if you have soldering skills). You would need a 3 positions toggle switch (6 contacts), two Y shaped Molex to SATA adapters/spliters, a Molex to Molex adapter spliter (1 to 2) and few wires.

It would switch +5V supply (which is used to power the controller circuit of HDD, while +12v are used to power the spindle motor; the above is valid for 3.5' HDD - 2.5' HDDs use +5V for both; SSDs use the same +5V only) from PSU to either group of HDDs. I would recommend to use such a switch prior to powering up a PC. Let me know if you need a schematics on how to do this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HDD Switch, Multi OS, Boot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy