Acer Aspire V3-571G - Still waiting for root device...

nomad83

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I try to install Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on my laptop Acer Aspire V3-571G. Here's the specs, even if they are in my sig :

CPU : Intel i7 3610QM 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

GPU : HD4000 integrated / Nvidia GT 640M working both with Optimus Technology3

Memory : 8Gb DDR3 Ram

Network : Broadcom BCM43228

Audio : Realtek ALC269

Wifi : Broadcom BCM43228

Hard Drive : 750Gb SATA II (or III ?)

Partition Sheme :

Windows 8 EFI NTFS Primary

Windows 8 NTFS Primary

OSX FAT32 Primary Active

Data NTFS Logical

Not many options in BIOS, only switch for GPU (Switchable/Integrated) and AHCI/IDE. Actually they are set to Integrated and AHCI.

What I do

Well, I do so many things I can remember exactly what. I try to expose the problem clearly. Early install with Tony tools was successfull, only problems with chameleon at boot... Tired of the tools I decided to make it work myself, with insanelymac support off course. :P

The laptop had already boot some Mac OS X Mountain Lion before this, it can handle it.

I follow your installation guide twice. I follow this guide on Mac OS X Mountain Lion VMware Workstation.

I attach the ready USB Key to my laptop, booting up and select the key with -v flag and got Kernel Panic related to AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext. Isn't weird ? I have NullPowerManagement.kext installed.

So, no problem, I delete AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext but now facing another error I see already : PCI Configuration begin .... Still Waiting for root device...

post-767813-0-40701200-1361320042_thumb.jpg

I think about AHCIPortInjector.kext but I really don't know if it's the good solution. I put AHCI_Extended_Injector.kext System/Library/Extentions but same error...

I also have a weird error since my first install of OS X on this laptop :

"Error Encountered While Starting Up... Pausing5 Seconds..."

Here I am, i'm sick and this is my only occupation at the moment.

Hope you can see what's wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

Jeremy.

Edit 20/02/2013 :

I tried this flags : -v npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No Darkwake=0 busratio=23 PCIRootUID=1

Stil waiting for root device ...

Really frustrating.

Welcome on my boat mate. :)

Just tried Myhack on another USB key, Still waiting for root device ... Same screen again ...

With my issue, I found that if I either disabled the onboard SATA controller, or even disconnected all the SATA devices from the motherboard, it still wouldn't work, with the same "Still waiting for root device" error, so I'm beginning to think that my problem may be less to do with the storage side of things.

I understand that you're on a laptop, so that makes it even more difficult to diagnose :(

I wish there was just some way to completely bypass the error :wallbash:

Thanks for your help.

Just tried UseKernelCache=No same error again and again ... Just like the picture I posted on 1st post.

Thanks anyway.

Tried again with "Tony Tools" and it's working... SO, there's one or more kext missing imho , maybe related to USB or AHCI ? But how can I be sure.

In Extra folder created by "the one we can't tell the name" I can find some AHCI, related kexts, IOUSBFamily, etc... So maybe try to add theses kexts to the Extra folder of my clean USB drive ?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

EDIT : Ok, as I think, simply put the TT Extra folder on my clean USB drive build with Insanelymac and it's booting. So there's a kext inside this folder I need to boot. Can I show you the list of the Kexts inside this folder ?

EDIT 2 : After installation back to Stil waiting for root Device ... Just after [PCI configuration end, bridges 3 devices 12]

Booting fine with -f -v UseKernelCache=no

Ok, in Extra folder we have :

- Extensions folder

- Themes folder

- org.chameleon.Boot.plist

- smbios.plist

In Extentions folder we have :

- AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

- AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

- ApplePS2Controller.kext

- EvOreboot.kext

- FakeSMC.kext

- IONetworkingFamily.kext

- IOUSBFamily.kext

- IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

- JMicron36xATA.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

org.chameleon.Boot.plist contain :

[/size]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>
[size=4]

I'm on Mountain Lion on laptop right now. Touchpad doesn't work anyway.

Thanks for your support.

:)

Another edit :

Installed Chameleon on HDD.

If I boot with UsekernelCache=no then it's working, if not my ML install Still waiting for root device ...