Samsung RV511 Laptop, hackintosh - No progress; Can't install

bugs181

17 posts in this topic

Title: Samsung RV511 Laptop, hackintosh - No progress; Can't install

FIRST OFF: Sorry for posting about tools from TonyMac but I felt the need to give the run down of everything I've tried - to show that I've simply tried everything I know how to. If you feel the need for me to edit this post, fine. Just please don't ban me because I'm simply frustrated at this point.

Pre-req:

I have bought and paid for Mountain Lion from the App Store already.

I was trying to avoid buying Snow Leopard too, but went ahead and ordered

the disk from Apple. Should be here next week sometime.

At this point, I don't really care which version of OSX I'm running - I'm just tired

of Windows, bloatware, etc. I have OSX running in VMWare and absolutely LOVE it.

I understand some of the hardware might not work right away but am willing to put

in the time to make it work.

---

Another post I created at hackint0sh.org over a week ago and not one person responded:

I'm not the one to usually ask for help. I like to try and figure things out on my own, but I just can't figure it out.

Let me give you a run down of what I have tried.

Most of TonyMac's products (#####, #####, #####, etc)

At this point in time I didn't know what TonyMac was all about. Ha

Tried myHack with no success.

I have tried the ModCD and other directions from:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/269841-install-snow-leopard-on-any-pc-for-anybody-includes-windows-dual-boot/

I have also tried various other tools and guides like: http://liondiskmaker.com/

Specs after using CPUID PC Wizard tool:

Laptop: Samsung RV511

CPU Chipset: Intel HM55

NorthBridge: Intel Core i3 Arrandale

SouthBridge: Intel HM55

Video Card: Intel HD Graphics - 1GB GDDR3 - PCI

CPU: Intel Core i3 380M CPU @ 2.53GHz

CPU Chipset: 3B09

Virtualization technology: Yes

RAM: 3GB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

WiFi: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250

Ethernet: Realtek Semiconductor RTL8186/8111 PCI-E Gigabit

Intel Display Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Computer: ACPI x64-based PC

Let me know if you need more specs, just post a little help in how to obtain the info.

Prerequisites: I have already purchased Mountain Lion OS from the Apple Store.

Anytime I mention torrent, I don't care what you have to say.

nay to you sayers; I PURCHASED A LEGIT COPY OF MTN LION

My first idea ALMOST had me going. I used VirtualBox with a Snow Leopard .iso by Hazard I torrented with the name:

Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard

I upgraded to 10.6.8 and forgot to run #####. This created a SleepEnabler.kext kernel panic, so I deleted the kexts using terminal (disc boot) and was back in business. I now had Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 and was attempting to create a Mountain Lion USB stick using multiple guides. This uses the disk utility and #####. I would ocassionally get kernel panics when formatting the drive and ALWAYS get kernel panics when ##### was finishing up. I attempted myHack as well but no go. The kernel panic always led back to: IOUSBMassStorageClass kext.

At this time I abandoned ship and tried multiple variations with .dmg and .iso files with dual layer DVDs and even USB boots and nothing worked.

My last solution was to get something going in VMWare in hopes that would be more stable. I came across a pre-built VMWare solution called: OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Retail VMware Image

This image is already ready to go with the exception of having to install it. I now had Mountain Lion working PERFECTLY in VMWare.

I was able to format the USB drive and use the ##### application successfuly. Created the drive, shutdown PC, then I booted into the bios, set the AHCI to manual, then enabled. Also turned UEFI to enabled (there was no setting called optimized defaults).

First attempt at booting gave me a nice pretty Apple Logo. I let it sit there for about 2 minutes before deciding to hit the power button. I wanted to boot using -v to see what she was doing. At this time, the USB drive would NO LONGER BOOT. So I popped in my ##### 3.3.0 disc and was able to try to boot from USB. I then typed -v when trying to boot and lots of kexts were loading. I seen an Apple screen then BAM, restart back to the bios. There are no errors, no kernel panics, I have tried using all of the available flags, -x -s -v GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=0

all with no avail.

I also tried burning the VirtualBox iso to disc that has a darwin bootloader. After the apple logo, it does the same as above mentioned.

From one of the guides here at insnanelymac I burned "OSX86 ModCD" to DVD and created a "restored Mountain Lion USB Install drive".

I get to the apple logo, then instant restart. The text moves so fast when using -v flag so I have no idea what's going on or what the last message on screen is.

Could it be my graphics card causing problems? Just guessing at this point.

What is my next step?

What kernel should I be trying? Vanilla, etc? DSDT?

I have no idea where to start if I were to try to do this by hand.

A point in the right direction would be helpful.

I've been constantly reading for about 2 weeks now and just get more confused every time.

Had to clear my eyes and check again, sure enough.. a response! Thanks for helping. It's funny you mention that post. I just spent about an hour preparing a USB drive. I couldn't get the USB drive to boot directly. I know this laptop is capable of USB boot as I've done it for other OS's like BackTrack and Ubuntu. I COULD get the USB to start booting if I used the OSX86 ModCD to force it to boot. Again, I used the flags "acpi=off -x -v", I see the screen scroll for about a minute or two of lots of kexts loading. Once it get's to the end of that, it's just an immediate restart. I have also tried the flag "GraphicsEnabler=No".

On step 5 of 2.C. Patching the installer for a PC:

5. Copy your folder of essential software & kexts to the root of your USB stick.

I didn't know what kexts to use so I left this step alone. Could this have made it not boot?

What are my other options? What is going wrong? Again, I appreciate the help!

Appreciate the zip file. Strange, Chameleon still won't boot. Could it be the way it's partitioned? It's currently set up with GUID.

Edit: Never mind about the not booting. Looks like I was looking over a boot entry in the BIOS. I got much further than all the other guides.

It's also possible another guide might of worked but because I just now realized the boot order... bleh.

Looks like theres still a graphics problem. Can't see the screen, looks garbled.

I'll upload a pic if I can figure out how to upload attachments.

We have some more progress. :thumbsup_anim:

Deleted the following kexts:

AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle
AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

Attempted to use the flag "npci=0x2000" but it immediately restarted. I can however get to the installation screen by using just "GraphicsEnabler=No" now. Don't even have to use safe mode ( -x ) or ?force kext cache? ( -f ).

Ran into another kink though. The Disk Utility doesn't list my hard drive. Is this another kext issue?

The HDD is a Toshiba MK1655GSX ATA Device

Interface type: Serial ATA-300

The hardware list at OSx86 is very incomplete and doesn't list what kexts I should be using for my hardware.

Where can I find another hardware list that shows which kexts to use?

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm definitely not giving up now. I'm super close to getting it to work! :hammer:

Hi,

1st. Your Graphics Card will not work :/ You will need to delete all Intel Graphics kexts to be able to see something.

2nd Your Wireless Card is incompatible too so no Wifi

If i were you, I would get iATKOS M2, it is a DMG but you don't need a mac to burn it to a USB Key. Just download it in a Windows computer, get Transmac and right click on your USB Key in that software and 'Restore from Disk Image'. I believe it should be alright.

Once iATKOS M2 is burnt on your USB Key (or DVD-DoubleLayer but I don't recommend it as it is Read-Only), try to get into the installation with

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No

If you get a blackscreen or odd graphics bugs, remove all intel graphics kext on your USB Key using Transmac in /System/Library/Extensions. After, it should be booting right, if it is still not booting, please give us a screenshot in verbose mode of where it blocks at.

PS: If the Transmac method for USB Burning isn't working, go in Windows, get VMWare Workstation and a Mountain Lion 10.8 VMWare image, use UtraIso to convert iATKOS dmg to iso and then in VMWare boot on the iso. Once you installed iAKTOS in VMWare, burn the iATKOS Dmg to your USB Key using Disk Utility and it should be fine

Hi,

1st. Your Graphics Card will not work :/ You will need to delete all Intel Graphics kexts to be able to see something.

2nd Your Wireless Card is incompatible too so no Wifi

If i were you, I would get iATKOS M2, it is a DMG but you don't need a mac to burn it to a USB Key. Just download it in a Windows computer, get Transmac and right click on your USB Key in that software and 'Restore from Disk Image'. I believe it should be alright.

Once iATKOS M2 is burnt on your USB Key (or DVD-DoubleLayer but I don't recommend it as it is Read-Only), try to get into the installation with

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No

If you get a blackscreen or odd graphics bugs, remove all intel graphics kext on your USB Key using Transmac in /System/Library/Extensions. After, it should be booting right, if it is still not booting, please give us a screenshot in verbose mode of where it blocks at.

PS: If the Transmac method for USB Burning isn't working, go in Windows, get VMWare Workstation and a Mountain Lion 10.8 VMWare image, use UtraIso to convert iATKOS dmg to iso and then in VMWare boot on the iso. Once you installed iAKTOS in VMWare, burn the iATKOS Dmg to your USB Key using Disk Utility and it should be fine

Hey jamesst20, thanks for taking the time to post. I actually have the graphics sorted for now. Probably not in the resolution I want but I'll deal with that later. I also know about the wireless thing. I plan on buying a cheap compatible wifi card from ebay. As for the iATKOS - I'd really like to stay away from the distros if I can. I may end up trying that route if I get stuck. The reason is that I want to stay as "legit" and native as I can.

Hey jamesst20, thanks for taking the time to post. I actually have the graphics sorted for now. Probably not in the resolution I want but I'll deal with that later. I also know about the wireless thing. I plan on buying a cheap compatible wifi card from ebay. As for the iATKOS - I'd really like to stay away from the distros if I can. I may end up trying that route if I get stuck. The reason is that I want to stay as "legit" and native as I can.

Yeah I know what you mean you want to stay the closest to the Retail as possible but iATKOS is nothing more then the Retail version from apple with extra kexts for compatibility ;)

For the resolution you can try booting with boot flags :

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" (Or whatever your resolution should be ;) )

Me again. Figured up update my progress. Downloaded iATKOS ML2 and install went without a breeze. Had to boot into USB using: "GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 -x -v". Install went fine, selected packages that applied to me. Was getting stuck on the message: "resetting IOCatalog". Before that was "Still waiting for root device" but I couldn't replicate that problem. I followed the post here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271918-fixed-resetting-iocatalog-issue-after-installation-of-lion-l1/

And now I can get to the "Welcome" screen.

"In just a few steps, you can register and set up your Mac."

Woah!! So close! I however can't do anything at this screen because my mouse (laptop trackpad) and keyboard no longer work. Another user on that forum post had the same issue. Is there a kext I can copy from the Installer Flash drive to get them working again?

Thanks guys! Almost there!

Sorry for the double post. Just wanted to let you know I have iATKOS running. Just a few minor problems. No sound, 1024x768 resolution, and no boot camp. Wouldn't mind knowing of a way to install Windows 7 dual boot without having to reinstall iATKOS.

• 2 months later...

Possibly if you go to disk utility click on your main hdd (not a partion) you could partion it depends on the install. format it as msdos fat the look for a duel boot tutorial and a driver pack for your laptop then simply follow the tutorial finally install your drivers (may have to use memory stick) also look on mac breaker iatkos guide for extra drivers and fixes. :thumbsup_anim::hysterical: