Disable NVidia GPU Dell 7720

WaldMeister

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've been working on disabling the Nvidia GPU by DSDT edit.

There is no actual guide for this, i used information from this topic to make the edits myself: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2315

Everything is in place, well, i think, but the GPU still shows up in the System Profiler.

The DSDT is a mess at the moment, sorry for that, but it works :P

Can someone have a look at it, and possibly correct the error, also provide the information on what went wrong, for future reference?

Thanks in advance.

DSDT.aml.zip

I know google as a friend, thank you.

First of all, please remove the link to tony...

The links you posted, thanks for looking them up, they are missing information. I provided the link to the topic i used to make the edits.

Somehow i screwed up, i just don't know where.

Also, i wish to skip kext injection :)

Edited post.

Yeah, I'd also rather use DSDT than kexts. There are just two more issues other than this I need fixed: Audio (Realtek ALC269, using HDAEnabler.kext, would rather use DSDT), and battery detection(currently using modified AppleACPIPlatform.kext and VoodooBattery.kext, would rather use gsly's kext).

I'm currently attempting to read the ACPI specification to learn the ASL language, but I'm having a difficult time. Do you have any pointers on that, as a side note?

• Like 1

For the audio, besides the DSDT edit, you will also need to patch the AppleHDA. For battery, i use the SmartBattery or something like that, don't know how to do this by DSDT.

I do not really have any pointers, i just look in the DSDT section(Forum), if someone needs a fix, i download the DSDT and try to fix it. Most of the time google is my friend, sometimes i have to figure it out myself, just trying random stuff i remembered from fixing other DSDT's, if i find the solution, i keep it in mind for the next one.

To better understand the DSDT, i extracted all my SSDT tables, and combined them into my DSDT, i moved everything to give it a nicer look, not without error, learned a lot from that, so that is something i can recommend to do.

Attached the DSDT which i am working on, not bootable, because the Scope_PR is not correct. I fixed this, but my wireless did not work anymore somehow, i had overwritten the changes i made, so i have to start over from the non working PR, ah well.

temp.aml.zip

Hmmmm. So if you see methods and devices in something like \_SB_PCI0_PEG0_PEGP, you just copy what is there to the scope in DSDT? But what if you get scope errors, like 'XXXX is not accessible/does not exist from Scope_YY'? Because that's what I tried to do when copying the _OFF method from the NVOptTbl SSDT to DSDT, and then I got this error.

Then the fun starts :P Most of the time it's just an extra or missing bracket. If i see something like

\_SB_PCI0_PEG0_PEGP, i copy that to

\_SB_PCI0_PEG0_PEGP in the DSDT, provided an example, non working DSDT, but it should give you an idea. Also, in the SSDT, look at the top, you will see lines like:

External (\_PR_.CPU0._PSS, IntObj)
   External (\_SB_.PCI0.GFX0, DeviceObj)
   External (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP, DeviceObj)

Copy them also to the top of the DSDT, and remove them if when you add the objects.