voice dictation not working in Mountain Lion

snowy58

2 posts in this topic

Hi

I have an HP Probook 4530s that works perfectly with the dictation feature in Mountain Lion.

On the other hand, I have 2 desktops with ML that absolutely won't translate voice into text.

What might the problem be? In the Dictation & Speech control panel in system Preferences, I choose the microphone input source. There are several possible, and in sound preferences, I choose the right one there as well. Nothing has worked. The microphone shows a graphic that indicates signal being received.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Pandar

• 1 month later...

Not sure if that's related to your problem, but I was in similar situation, and have been researching for a few days. Then I finally realised though I am using TP-Link 4800 PCIe WiFi card for my network connection on my Gigabyte z77 board, I had to enabled the built-in ethernet which I needed to install AtherosL1Ethernet.kext and EthernetBuiltin=yes in org.chameleon.Boot.plist in order to make dictation willing to load.

I realised that's something to do with network since I saw assistantd connected to Apple's server, and then disconnect immediately without starting assistant_service which it normally does. So I thought its something to do with verifying my machine or some sort, since I have already patched my hack to make iMessage and App Store works, it must be something else. The only thing I could think of was since my smbios set my Mac as a desktop, so it might be looking for an ethernet's MAC address for verification, so I bite the bullet and made the hack recognise the ethernet. Finally it works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.