HP Envy 17t-3200 - Install and Run OS X/macOS

mnfesq

421 posts in this topic

I had to stop using your method to adjust screen brightness.  My messages app crashed every time I tried to open it and the crash report said that it couldn't open the display services framework.  Have you had any problem with apps crashing due to the old framework file?

Does anyone know if we have a hacked bios with UEFI support for the 3200 CTO?

I do know and the answer is no.  It is possible, however, to use UEFI and to put Clover in an EFI partition which is created by the GUID disk format.  This was discussed in this thread here:

I’m having an issue where my 17-3200 CTO will boot 1 out of 4 times or something like that. When it’s up and running, it is rock solid. I can’t seem to figure what’s causing the random boot failure. I’ve tried removing Voodoo and genericBrightness kext as I’ve read Voodoo will sometimes cause this. I removed genericBrightness thinking that be the cause but still the same issue. Anyone experiencing this behavior? Thanks

I do know and the answer is no. It is possible, however, to use UEFI and to put Clover in an EFI partition which is created by the GUID disk format. This was discussed in this thread here:

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ve got it down to exactly what I need for booting.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2018 at 12:55 AM, wiser212 said:

I’m having an issue where my 17-3200 CTO will boot 1 out of 4 times or something like that. When it’s up and running, it is rock solid. I can’t seem to figure what’s causing the random boot failure. I’ve tried removing Voodoo and genericBrightness kext as I’ve read Voodoo will sometimes cause this. I removed genericBrightness thinking that be the cause but still the same issue. Anyone experiencing this behavior? Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ve got it down to exactly what I need for booting.

Look here

Edited by cicetto

• 3 months later...
Look here

I know this has been a while. I still have the HP laptop with Sierra installed and love it. Solid as a rock except for the booting. It is still one out of a few times that it will boot. It just goes in circles. I just leave it and come back a few minutes later and it is already booted up and sitting on the Mac home screen. I did not attempt any fixes. I just tried to follow the link posted in the reply here and I’m not sure if it’s the same issue. Seems like the issue in the link is not booting at all where mine does, just not consistent. Anyone else have seen this issue and got it resolved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, wiser212 said:

I know this has been a while. I still have the HP laptop with Sierra installed and love it. Solid as a rock except for the booting. It is still one out of a few times that it will boot. It just goes in circles. I just leave it and come back a few minutes later and it is already booted up and sitting on the Mac home screen. I did not attempt any fixes. I just tried to follow the link posted in the reply here and I’m not sure if it’s the same issue. Seems like the issue in the link is not booting at all where mine does, just not consistent. Anyone else have seen this issue and got it resolved?

It sounds like this is a kext issue and, more particularly, a kernel cache issue.  Two things I would do to experiment and try to isolate the cause are these:  1.  Rebuild caches using KCPM Utility Pro before rebooting; and 2.  Boot into Single-User mode (-s) and see if it will boot.  (In Single-user mode, you can also try entering the code kextcache -i / after mounting the boot drive using /sbin/mount -uw / )

Edited by mnfesq

On 10/9/2018 at 9:37 PM, wiser212 said:

Which Clover version did you have?

I'm asking this because mine on every version higher than 4380 not always boot, and I did not understand why.

Update

Try booting without caches (-f flag) or tap the Space bar at the Clover screen, then choose the option to boot w/o caches.

Finally fixed!!!

I've removed the HP wireless audio and now always boot fine.

Edited by cicetto
fixed
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

What do I need to do? So does that mean audio won’t work anymore?

By the way. Thank you!!!! :)

18 minutes ago, cicetto said:

it's the wireless audio module only... look here

I had to see in dsdt the difference without it 

The wireless audio chip is located just to the right of HDD drive bay 1.  It's held in place by a single screw.  It can be removed and no software changes are required.

4 hours ago, cicetto said:

OOOhhhh mnfesq nice to see you here again!!!

I don't know why but it sometimes don't boot also without wifi audio module, with older clover's version this never happened. 

I've seen that if network is connected the KP are less frequent 

I suspect your booting issues are not hardware related but driver related.  If you want to post your EFI directory, I can take a look. (P.S.- I no longer own my Envy 17t-3200 CTO.  I sold it to a friend and it is still working just fine but he runs Win10 on it only.  I have a Zotac Z83 with the same chipset and Intel HD4000 GPU so I still know how to run Mojave on it just fine.  I will put Catalina on it when it is officially released.)

• 2 years later...