HP Envy 17t-3200 - Install and Run OS X/macOS

mnfesq

422 posts in this topic

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had family visiting for the holidays.

XCPM does work for me. See what code to enter in Terminal to check (in the photo.)

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

I have both kernel patches and a kext in L/E to get XCPM working. Here are the kernel patches:

<key>KernelToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>xcpm bootstrap 10.13 PB1</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				idgExDwidyI=
				</data>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.13.x</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				idgExjwidyI=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Reboot fix for xcpm 10.13.x</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				vgsAAABd6QgAAAAPH4QAAAAAAFVIieVBVw==
				</data>
				<key>MatchOS</key>
				<string>10.13.x</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				vgsAAABd6QgAAAAPH4QAAAAAAMNIieVBVw==
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
I have Kernel XCPM set to false in my config.plist. I don't know if that would work instead of my kernel patches. I've never experimented with that since it was added to Clover.

The kext that I use in L/E is the AppleX86PlatformPluginInjector.kext. I modified it to select a different power profile than the one for SMBIOS9,2. As a result, I have 7 P-States.

attachicon.gifUntitled1.png

You may want to choose a different power profile since you have a different and more powerful cpu than me. Here's my kext:

attachicon.gifAppleX86PlatformPluginInjector.kext.zip

After you add the kernel patches and kext, run the code in Terminal to check if XCPM is working. If it responds to each inquiry with the number 1, it's working.

As for your DSDT, I haven't tried it out yet. I did save it to my desktop. As for the boot glitch, the patch worked for me but I had removed Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext first. Also, I'm using the Generic Brightness.kext, not ACPIBacklight.kext. Those things might make a difference.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3 developer beta. I am getting all features to work but some imperfectly. I'm having trouble with screen brightness still and the GenericBrightness.kext I'm using works but is imperfect. It sometimes causes my laptop to hang when I am restarting or shutting down and I have to manually shut down by holding down the power button. Also, the card reader kext fails to load after the laptop wakes from sleep. Lastly, the battery indicator in the menu bar does not always load after reboot and sometimes fails to poll properly unless I toggle it off and on in System preferences. Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Thank you for the detailed response :)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  I had family visiting for the holidays.............

As for your DSDT, I haven't tried it out yet.  I did save it to my desktop.  As for the boot glitch, the patch worked for me but I had removed Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext first.  Also, I'm using the Generic Brightness.kext, not ACPIBacklight.kext.  Those things might make a difference.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3 developer beta.  I am getting all features to work but some imperfectly.  I'm having trouble with screen brightness still and the GenericBrightness.kext I'm using works but is imperfect.  It sometimes causes my laptop to hang when I am restarting or shutting down and I have to manually shut down by holding down the power button.  Also, the card reader kext fails to load after the laptop wakes from sleep.  Lastly, the battery indicator in the menu bar does not always load after reboot and sometimes fails to poll properly unless I toggle it off and on in System preferences.  Otherwise, I have no complaints.

It's incredible, I was going crazy.... all works the problem was in clover because kernel and kext patches was not loaded if config.plist had a different name.

I'm on 10.13.3 Beta.

I've edit for you mmfesq a new dsdt, try it, it's a bomb, add also this SSDT-7 because there was 2 times _off method in the last file I've uploaded, and boot with drop oem ssdt true

It's edited for GenericBrightness.kext, no issue when restarting or shutting down, the battery indicator loads a few seconds after startup.

If you have problems with sleep/wake or even shutdown/restart you can patch DSDT to re-enable the ATI card before sleeping and disable it on wake, it's on Rehabman Repository.

SpeedStep test give me an error "Can't commute 2.80 in number (-1700)"

Why I can't complete a clean installation from usb? Do I need some drivers in Clover? Installer from internal Hard drive is ok.

DSDTs new.zip

I've edit for you mnfesq a new dsdt, try it, it's a bomb, add also this SSDT-7 because there was 2 times _off method in the last file I've uploaded, and boot with drop oem ssdt true

It's edited for GenericBrightness.kext, no issue when restarting or shutting down, the battery indicator loads a few seconds after startup.

If you have problems with sleep/wake or even shutdown/restart you can patch DSDT to re-enable the ATI card before sleeping and disable it on wake, it's on Rehabman Repository.

I am trying out your DSDT.  Thanks.  So far, I had to delete the device id for wifi because the device id you had wasn't the same as mine and prevented wifi from working.  Also, upon boot up, the battery indicator did not load to the menu bar.  I'll keep it running for a few days and see if it has any issues or improvements.  

I had the same issue with battery indicator, disappeared with a fresh installation, but in the last installation I used the new kext for ACPIBatterymanager.

Can you add your changes under wifi?

I just deleted the entry for device id under _SB.PCI0/RPO1/PXSX/DSM

XCPM works now, also with freq vectors, but I have the same error with cpu-s app.

In my config.plist, I can boot without flag on drop OEM ssdt but I had to drop the ssdt table that contains gpu and boot with dart=0 (only with VT enabled or drop DMAR table) I have dropped also another ssdt table that contains many errors, I've dropped both by lenght.
I have in patched folder only SSDT.aml made using ssdtPRGen.sh, the SSDT-3, the one that contains the gpu patched and SSDT-1 patched with fix_PSS placeholders.
I don't think you need to drop ApIst, Cpu0Cst and ApCst, have you ever tried to boot without it with the DSDT I've uploaded?
I'm asking you this because under tables dropping I have no ApIst, Cpu0Cst and ApCst, they are in acpi/original folder.
If yours SSDTs contains errors they will be skipped or can cause problems.
Attach your ACPI/Original folder or only SSDTs in it.

I use alway the laptop with power adapter, today i used it without it and seems that it won't wake up from usb mouse, but it wake up from keyboard and mouse works after sleep, I don't remember if on previous os it works well.

post-1559340-0-41912400-1515779881_thumb.jpg

post-1559340-0-31474300-1515780980_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Azurewave AW-CE123H Wfi/BT combo (Broadcom BCM4352 WIFI/Broadcom 20702A3 BT)

Thanks. I ordered the same card. Are the instructions on the first page still accurate? I’m going to take the plunge and install high Sierra on my HP, exact same model as yours. Was Sierra or any of the previous versions more stable than this as far as all of the features working flawlessly?

Thanks. I ordered the same card. Are the instructions on the first page still accurate? I’m going to take the plunge and install high Sierra on my HP, exact same model as yours. Was Sierra or any of the previous versions more stable than this as far as all of the features working flawlessly?

With High Sierra, the key is to get your Clover configuration and custom DSDT right.  After that, High Sierra installs like it's on a real Mac.  I would look for a tutorial on installing High Sierra if this is your first Hackintosh.  My instructions at the beginning of this thread are old school at this point.  But if you have any problems getting things to work, post here and I'll work with you to get your laptop working right.  How close are your specs to mine?  Same CPU even?

With High Sierra, the key is to get your Clover configuration and custom DSDT right.  After that, High Sierra installs like it's on a real Mac.  I would look for a tutorial on installing High Sierra if this is your first Hackintosh.  My instructions at the beginning of this thread are old school at this point.  But if you have any problems getting things to work, post here and I'll work with you to get your laptop working right.  How close are your specs to mine?  Same CPU even?

Thanks for the offer   :)

My first Hackintosh was on Maverick, I've been through every upgrade since then and now have 2 fully working Hackintosh desktops running High Sierra.  It's been stable for a loooong time 

This will be my first laptop Hackintosh.  I've read up on compatibility issues with different laptops and came across your thread and I happen to own one of these and like how it looks.  Almost like a real Mac.

My CPU is i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz

Radeon HD 7800M Series

Intel HD Graphics 4000

16GB of RAM

I think those are the important parts right?  Also, once I get the Wifi/Bluetooth combo card, I don't need a separate Bluetooth and Wifi card like it is right now right?  I can install the new card where the existing Bluetooth is today.  I was also thinking of putting in a half size PCIe SSD card above where the existing Wifi card is.  I took everything apart and discovered there are a total of 3 mini PCIe slots.

In a rush to create the High Sierra install, I didn't copy any of the clover stuff over to the USB stick before I headed out on a business trip.  So now I have the USB install stick but it gets stuck on the "Press any key to boot from USB Device.."  I'll have to get back home and do the Clover install correctly and try again.

This is actually a pretty nice laptop.  I originally purchased a different 17" HP laptop that had overheating issues.  HP ended up sending this replacement.  My original purchase was no where near this spec.  Haven't really used it until I powered it up recently and discovered all the nice things I can do with it.

Just noticed you're in Southern Cal.  Me too :)

By the way, what BIOS version are running now?

OK, the chip near the hard drive bays is not a BT chip, it is the HP Wireless Audio chip.  That's the only thing that will work in that slot, to my knowledge.  I could never get a separate BT chip to work in that slot.  That's why I have the combo in the wifi slot.  The slot next to the wifi card is for mSATA SSD.  I have one there and it works great.  It will become your primary boot device once you plug a chip into the slot.  Are the 3 slots you mentioned the wireless audio, mSATA and wifi/BT slots?  If so, I'm aware of those but I was wondering if you found something I wasn't aware of.

You will need to disable your 7850m GPU in order to get High Sierra to load.  For that, you will need to patch your DSDT.  You can try using the DSDT that Cicetto posted above, it's working pretty good for me.  You'll need a bunch of kexts in your Clover directory and I have 2 kexts that only work in L/E -- GenericBrightness.kext and AppleX86PlatformPluginInjector.kext.  The latter kext gives me 7 P-States using XCPM.

Here's the kexts I keep in Clover/kexts/10.13:

post-270804-0-81938700-1516648314_thumb.png

Let me know if you need any help getting your Envy up and running.

Those are the only 3 PCIe slots I found. Good to know the one next to the HDD is the one you don’t want to remove :). As for disabling ATI, I don’t see an option in the bios like some of the screenshots I’ve seen. I’m running the latest bios which I think is F0? Are those kexts zipped up somewhere I can download from? Thanks

Those are the only 3 PCIe slots I found. Good to know the one next to the HDD is the one you don’t want to remove :). As for disabling ATI, I don’t see an option in the bios like some of the screenshots I’ve seen. I’m running the latest bios which I think is F0? Are those kexts zipped up somewhere I can download from? Thanks

You need a custom DSDT in order to remove your ATI GPU.  There is a RehabMan patch for disabling the GPU which is incorporated in my DSDT and the one that Cicetto posted above.  I can't upload all the kexts to this forum because it will exceed the size of attachments but, when you're ready, I can upload them to a location and you can download them from there.  I will provide the link via PM.  Most of the kexts are easily available online and many of them are in RehabMan's GitHub.  Still, I will zip them up and let you download them purely for convenience sake.

I’m thinking of triple boot with Ubuntu, Windows and High Sierra. Should be an interesting little project to get it all working. Thinking of running Ubuntu off of the SD card slot since it will only be a server install with no desktop.

BTW, off topic here. Does your Beats application work in Windows 10? Mine is installed but doesn’t seem to do anything. Pressing the Beats button doesn’t do anything. The settings in the Beats app doesn’t seem to affect anything.

Running Ubuntu off the SD card will work but only sort of.  The kext for the SD card doesn't work after the laptop wakes from sleep.  It will only work upon a fresh boot.  That limits the ability to use it effectively when booting from Clover.  Maybe if you can put Grub on the SD card, there will be a driver that works when you boot up.  I'm really not sure about that.  Also, you would need to be able to select the SD card from your boot options in the BIOS, and I don't know that it is a boot option.  I know that HD bay 2 will not allow a boot.

As far as the Beats Audio goes, there is not Mac app for it.  I modified the VoodooHDA driver to get all of the speakers working but it requires you to create a multi-output device and, when you use that, it disables the beats wheel and the audio icon in the menubar.  If you are talking about the Beats Audio app in Windows, then yes, my Beats app works but it doesn't seem to do much of anything that regular volume settings don't do.

You need a custom DSDT in order to remove your ATI GPU.  There is a RehabMan patch for disabling the GPU which is incorporated in my DSDT and the one that Cicetto posted above.  I can't upload all the kexts to this forum because it will exceed the size of attachments but, when you're ready, I can upload them to a location and you can download them from there.  I will provide the link via PM.  Most of the kexts are easily available online and many of them are in RehabMan's GitHub.  Still, I will zip them up and let you download them purely for convenience sake.

Hey there.  Finally ready to install High Sierra.  Do you have a link for me to grab your kext files?

Thanks

With the installation of 10.13.4 beta 1, I have found that I do not have to disable my ATI GPU in order for video to load.  It seems that I cannot get macOS to boot with GenericBrightness.kext in L/E and I have to load it manually after macOS boots.  What should we do with that information?  Beats me but it appears that High Sierra is becoming more adaptable than it was originally.

post-270804-0-70526400-1517076907_thumb.png

I was wondering if anyone ran into this problem.  I created the USB Install stick from High Sierra.  When I open Clover to try and mount the EFI partition, the USB stick isn't showing as an EFI partition that I can mount.  My install of High Sierra is APFS.  Would that cause the problem?

Answered my own question.

Got passed this step.  I found an article that describes how High Sierra hides actual devices in Disk Utility and only displays the Volume.  I was erasing and formatting the volume without partitioning the actual drive to create an EFI partition.  Now that I have the USB formatted correctly and tested on a different machine that supports UEFI, I can boot off of the USB stick.  However, in the HP, it is not recognizing the USB as a bootable drive.  Is this a BIOS issue?  How are you guys making the USB boot?

Thanks

The HP Envy is not a pure UEFI machine.  I have mine set up as a BIOS boot with the files in the EFI partition.  Therefore, the way you have your USB installer set up is probably not correct for the HP Envy.  However, if you know how to get into the UEFI menu, you can select Clover64.efi as your boot file and it might work.  The better way, however, is to redo your Clover installation with the options I have selected below:

post-270804-0-95382600-1517107061_thumb.pngpost-270804-0-90115300-1517107072_thumb.pngpost-270804-0-35697500-1517107091_thumb.png

The HP Envy is not a pure UEFI machine.  I have mine set up as a BIOS boot with the files in the EFI partition.  Therefore, the way you have your USB installer set up is probably not correct for the HP Envy.  However, if you know how to get into the UEFI menu, you can select Clover64.efi as your boot file and it might work.  The better way, however, is to redo your Clover installation with the options I have selected below:

attachicon.gifUntitled1.pngattachicon.gifUntitled2.pngattachicon.gifUntitled3.png

Thanks for the reply.

I selected all the options except the very last one "Install Clover Preference Pane" which is greyed out for me.

I booted off the USB which brings me to a page that has Boot Manager, Device Manager, Boot Maintenance Manager.  

Boot Manager gives me the following options:

EFI DVD/CDROM

EFI Hard Drive

EFI Hard Drive1

EFI Hard Drive2

EFI USB Device

I select EFI USB Device and I "X64 Exception Type" all in red with a bunch of addresses.

Is this the screen I'm supposed to see?

I did try booting off of Clover64.efi and it just sits at the Apple icon screen.

Well, if you used the settings for Clover I posted, you should be going directly to the Clover menu and not HP's UEFI menu.  But if you are at the UEFI menu, select Boot Maintenance Manager and then select Boot File and then select your USB's EFI folder and navigate to Clover64.efi.  That should take you to the Clover menu and not just to the Apple boot screen.

OH, JEEZ LOUISE!  I gave you the wrong Clover settings.  Those are the ones for your SSD installation and not your USB installation.  For your USB installation, you need to select install for UEFI only and select install in ESP.  Most other options at that point should be greyed out.  I'm so sorry to be giving you bad info.  Blame it on my Saturday night mind-set.