HP Envy 17t-3200 - Install and Run OS X/macOS

mnfesq

421 posts in this topic

I use DSDT Editor to open your dsdt.aml in Extra folder, but don't know where to insert these lines to the file. Could you show me please?

Do you have Bluray Combo drive in your Envy? Mines doesnot work since it has no power when I boot into Mac. Are there any way (or kext, dsdt...) to fix it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Is this your new bluetooth card for working with Mac?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Broadcom-BCM94313HMGB-WiFi-Bluetooth-4-0-Mini-Half-PCI-E-PCI-BCM20702-BT-4-0-/251109016335

Here is my most recent DSDT.aml.  It has the mod to show the slider bar for brightness in display preferences.  It also has fixes to allow the use of vanilla wifi kext and usb kext.

DSDT.aml.zip

I can't help you with the Blueray because I don't have that device in my laptop.  As for Bluetooth, that card will work for you oob.

• Like 1

@Qdezi

This should be the solution for your DVDRWBD. Get the kext of the linked post and follow the instrutions of the first post of this topic.

Here you go: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/238159-apple-shipp

Have fun.

Thanks mate! I nearly did it, but having no idea about building .kext file is the last barrier to me! I'm trying to learn it soon.

Here is my most recent DSDT.aml.  It has the mod to show the slider bar for brightness in display preferences.  It also has fixes to allow the use of vanilla wifi kext and usb kext.

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

I can't help you with the Blueray because I don't have that device in my laptop.  As for Bluetooth, that card will work for you oob.

Thanks to your dsdt, my eyes are protected now! herher.

I'm curious about how many speedstep do you have, 2 or more? My Envy has only 2, it produces a bit much heat, and the battery life is terrible compared to Win8.1 (less than 1h vs. nearly 4h). How is your status?

Thanks to your dsdt, my eyes are protected now! herher.

I'm curious about how many speedstep do you have, 2 or more? My Envy has only 2, it produces a bit much heat, and the battery life is terrible compared to Win8.1 (less than 1h vs. nearly 4h). How is your status?

I have at least 5 speed steps.  I am using my custom SSDT.aml and the smbios for mbp8,3.  But remember, I have the i5 3210M cpu.  You have an i7, yes?  You can use MaciASL to extract your SSDT.  Then, you may need to experiment with different versions of smbios until you get full speedstepping.

• Like 1

I have at least 5 speed steps.  I am using my custom SSDT.aml and the smbios for mbp8,3.  But remember, I have the i5 3210M cpu.  You have an i7, yes?  You can use MaciASL to extract your SSDT.  Then, you may need to experiment with different versions of smbios until you get full speedstepping.

Oh god, after a few try finally I have at least 5 steps, including turboboost (2.58 & 3.07GHz)! I own the i7 3610QM. And now it seems to match with SMBios of Macbook 8.2! The minimum state now is 1.29GHz, (vs. 1.19GHz before). So my Envy now is functional as nearly 99% of an actual Macbook! Lol.

Thank you so much, and waitin' for your next guide 'Mavericks'! ;)

• Like 1

No, I have not encountered that problem.  What do you mean, the system crashed?  Was it a KP, did it freeze, did it reboot, what?

Ahh it's freezed, mouse and keyboeard become unusable, the screen turn to grey. I have to press the power button to shutdown...

Do you have the same problem restarting or shutting down?  Or just logging off?  I'm wondering if it might have something to do with kernelcache.

Tonight I re-check and see that it's still freezed when I log-out, but the screen isn't gray, it shows the log-in screen with User and password box, but - again - no mouse, no keyboard, no responsible except the long-pressed power button! Only logging out! Restarting or shutting down is normal.

Tonight I re-check and see that it's still freezed when I log-out, but the screen isn't gray, it shows the log-in screen with User and password box, but - again - no mouse, no keyboard, no responsible except the long-pressed power button! Only logging out! Restarting or shutting down is normal.

I think that has to do with the fact that rehabman's voodoops2controller.kext is not being saved in kext cache.  I'm assuming you have it installed in S/L/E and not in an Extra folder.  If so, use Kext Utility to repair permissions and build a kext cache.  Copy the .mkext file to caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup and restart.  Then try to log off and see if you still have access to the ps2 devices.  Also, please confirm that you are using the most recent version of rehabman's kext.  You can get it here:  

https://code.google.com/p/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/list

I think that has to do with the fact that rehabman's voodoops2controller.kext is not being saved in kext cache.  I'm assuming you have it installed in S/L/E and not in an Extra folder.  If so, use Kext Utility to repair permissions and build a kext cache.  Copy the .mkext file to caches/com.apple.kext.caches/startup and restart.  Then try to log off and see if you still have access to the ps2 devices.  Also, please confirm that you are using the most recent version of rehabman's kext.  You can get it here:  

https://code.google.com/p/os-x-voodoo-ps2-controller/downloads/list

Yep I installed it to S/L/E, the option to install in Extra is disabled by default. (I used Kext Wizard).

I do follow your instruction above:

- Have the newest voodoo kext v1.8.8 installed before (so that I could get my touchpad disabled automatically when an USB mouse was plugged)

- Drag the Extensions folder into Kext Utility to build mkext.

- Copy the new mkext file to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

- Restart and everything has no change!  :(

I attach a screenshot of my Chameleon's plist settings, you can see it below. Wondering if they're involved in this problem. If there're no way to solve, I'm still pleasant without the logging-out function! But if we can find solutions, that sounds great!  :)

I'm planning to move up to Mavericks and hope it'll be fantastic!

post-1248688-0-32140900-1385412839_thumb.png

Yep I installed it to S/L/E, the option to install in Extra is disabled by default. (I used Kext Wizard).

I do follow your instruction above:

- Have the newest voodoo kext v1.8.8 installed before (so that I could get my touchpad disabled automatically when an USB mouse was plugged)

- Drag the Extensions folder into Kext Utility to build mkext.

- Copy the new mkext file to /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

- Restart and everything has no change!  :(

I attach a screenshot of my Chameleon's plist settings, you can see it below. Wondering if they're involved in this problem. If there're no way to solve, I'm still pleasant without the logging-out function! But if we can find solutions, that sounds great!  :)

I'm planning to move up to Mavericks and hope it'll be fantastic!

So I tried this on my laptop and, to my surprise, when I try to log out, it reboots on me.  However, I tried doing it in safe mode and I was able to log out successfully.  Therefore, it is most likely a kext/driver issue.  Now, the goal is to figure out what driver is causing it.  I'll go through my log files and see what I can figure out.  Also, I am running Mavericks so it's probably not a vanilla kext that is causing this.  

• Like 1

Well, I don't understand this situation. Last time it was able to boot to the installer. And now it won't and shows a STOP sign over the Apple logo, while on -v mode, a text line appears and repeats: Still waiting for root device

:worried_anim:

-------

UPDATE: The reason is lacking ACPIBatteryManager.kext and FakeSMC.kext in /S/L/E of the USB. I load the newest version of both files into there and bump, it can boot and install!

But till the last 3 minutes of the progress, the installer notifies error and unsuccessful installation. Fortunately, I kept my Mountain Lion partition and boot into it, install all the necessary kexts and extra files, as well as Chameleon bootloader to the Mavericks partition. And now, it rocks! :D

I only use Mac OS (deleted Windows 8.1 before) for my work now. So, in near future, when updates are released for Mavericks (10.9.1, etc), I think I should move to Clover to have kexts injection, instead of installing all of them via Terminal!

Again, thank mnfesq pretty much! :)

post-1248688-0-95866400-1385540289_thumb.jpg

post-1248688-0-01163800-1385540332_thumb.jpg

Installed and it's stable now! I feel Mavericks manages Intel Speedstep much more better than 10.8.x. Since I monitor the freq in HWmonitor, and see it running at 1.29GHz (min. freq.) most of time, temperature around 50 deg.C. Everything is smooth, except resizing and maximizing windows - a bit laggy! But no matter with me.

Installed and it's stable now! I feel Mavericks manages Intel Speedstep much more better than 10.8.x. Since I monitor the freq in HWmonitor, and see it running at 1.29GHz (min. freq.) most of time, temperature around 50 deg.C. Everything is smooth, except resizing and maximizing windows - a bit laggy! But no matter with me.

Are you sure you have QI/CE?  With the Intel HD4000, you should have smooth video transitions, such as maximizing and minimizing windows.

Are you sure you have QI/CE?  With the Intel HD4000, you should have smooth video transitions, such as maximizing and minimizing windows.

From what I know, it seems that I have QI/CE enabled..

Lion & Mountain Lion
  • Adding a widget in Dashboard causes a ripple effect, if Dashboard is not a Space
  • The menu bar is translucent
  • A new tab in Safari (Top Sites) displays smoothly
  • On login, the desktop "zooms" into view
  • Holding the alt key while Launchpad is visible causes the icons to jiggle
  • More than one screensaver is available
  • Game pieces in Chess can be moved

But when booting completed, the login screen fades in with lag, then the desktop zooms in with lag, too. Do you suffer the same problem? Also, lags on maximizing/resizing windows are always seen with Google Chrome, and (sometimes) Finder.

From what I know, it seems that I have QI/CE enabled..

But when booting completed, the login screen fades in with lag, then the desktop zooms in with lag, too. Do you suffer the same problem? Also, lags on maximizing/resizing windows are always seen with Google Chrome, and (sometimes) Finder.

First of all, my bad, it's QE/CI, which stands for Quartz Extreme/Core Image.  It is the functional equivalent of hardware acceleration.  Second of all, test it by trying to run VLC Media Player.  It only works when you have QE/CI.  Also, do you have a translucent menu bar at the top of your screen?  It does not seem like you have QE/CI because I never have video lag unless QE/CI is not working.

First of all, my bad, it's QE/CI, which stands for Quartz Extreme/Core Image.  It is the functional equivalent of hardware acceleration.  Second of all, test it by trying to run VLC Media Player.  It only works when you have QE/CI.  Also, do you have a translucent menu bar at the top of your screen?  It does not seem like you have QE/CI because I never have video lag unless QE/CI is not working.

Oh I search for "QI/CE" and smart Google knows what I mean, and brings me what I want to learn! LOL. I have all of them running: Transcucent menubar and VLC - playing MP4 HD without problem. Seems to have somethings to work with Clover..

---

I put these lines into clover's plist:

<key>GraphicsInjector</key>

<string>Yes</string>

and restart but lag in login screen is still there, when slides up the apple image, and the password box fades in. (Btw, I've just seen that "Inject ATI" is useless so I uncheck it).

So, there're some issues I'm having now:

1 - A bit laggy in UI, especially when logging-in

2 - A sudden-restart whenever logging-out! I tried to log out right after installing the OS, with your original config.plist, so this can't be resulted by any 3rd-party application or any change various from yours.

3 - Restarting always comsumes much time, nearly a minute vs. several seconds as usual. Perharps it's a problem of the simulated bootloader.

But after all, they're not really matter to me! I'm enjoying my Hackintosh so much now!

Oh I search for "QI/CE" and smart Google knows what I mean, and brings me what I want to learn! LOL. I have all of them running: Transcucent menubar and VLC - playing MP4 HD without problem. Seems to have somethings to work with Clover..

---

I put these lines into clover's plist:

and restart but lag in login screen is still there, when slides up the apple image, and the password box fades in. (Btw, I've just seen that "Inject ATI" is useless so I uncheck it).

So, there're some issues I'm having now:

1 - A bit laggy in UI, especially when logging-in

2 - A sudden-restart whenever logging-out! I tried to log out right after installing the OS, with your original config.plist, so this can't be resulted by any 3rd-party application or any change various from yours.

3 - Restarting always comsumes much time, nearly a minute vs. several seconds as usual. Perharps it's a problem of the simulated bootloader.

But after all, they're not really matter to me! I'm enjoying my Hackintosh so much now!

I'm not really sure what is causing your lag.  I think that at least some of the delay in restarting has to do with the GPUSensors.kext that loads with FakeSMC.kext in HWMonitor.  I notice that it waits a while for the Radeon GPU to load and it doesn't because it is disabled in the HP BIOS.  If you don't use the GPU sensor, it will load faster but you don't get the GPU Die temperature for the Intel HD4000 chip in HWMonitor.  

If you're not using HWMonitor, restart in verbose mode (-v) and see what seems to take a long time to load.  Report back and we can try to figure out how to get it to load faster.

I'm not really sure what is causing your lag.  I think that at least some of the delay in restarting has to do with the GPUSensors.kext that loads with FakeSMC.kext in HWMonitor.  I notice that it waits a while for the Radeon GPU to load and it doesn't because it is disabled in the HP BIOS.  If you don't use the GPU sensor, it will load faster but you don't get the GPU Die temperature for the Intel HD4000 chip in HWMonitor.  

If you're not using HWMonitor, restart in verbose mode (-v) and see what seems to take a long time to load.  Report back and we can try to figure out how to get it to load faster.

I use HWMonitor and there's nothing named 'Gpusensors.kext' in /S/L/E.

I see that restarting consumes much time in the phase when BIOS shows this line: "Press ESC for boot option..."

It stuck there for at least 15 seconds. Then the blackscreen of Clover hangs for 10s or more (I have Clover auto-booted into Mac partition, instead of waiting for choosing). After that, OS X boots for almost 20s (despite the fact that I install it on my SSD drive!). So I've said that maybe it's the problem of the bootloader. (Chameleon has the same issue with Clover, I tested and confirmed).

It'll be abnormal if your envy doesn't act like mines!

I use HWMonitor and there's nothing named 'Gpusensors.kext' in /S/L/E.

I see that restarting consumes much time in the phase when BIOS shows this line: "Press ESC for boot option..."

It stuck there for at least 15 seconds. Then the blackscreen of Clover hangs for 10s or more (I have Clover auto-booted into Mac partition, instead of waiting for choosing). After that, OS X boots for almost 20s (despite the fact that I install it on my SSD drive!). So I've said that maybe it's the problem of the bootloader. (Chameleon has the same issue with Clover, I tested and confirmed).

It'll be abnormal if your envy doesn't act like mines!

Depending on the version of HWSensor you use, GPUSensors.kext is a plug-in in FakeSMC.kext so you won't see it in S/L/E  unless you select show contents on FakeSMC.kext.  Still, if your problem is when the BIOS is loading, it may well be that you have time-out set to some number greater than zero in the BIOS.  It is a setting you can change to give you more/less time to select POST options.  As for the time it takes to load Clover, these are the options I use when I install Clover.  Try them and see if they improve your laptop's performance.

post-270804-0-08035800-1386003622_thumb.png