Can't install apps via Installer.app (any .pkg file)

SlayerOne

7 posts in this topic

I installed Mountain Lion on my desktop and almost everything is running ok.

My problem is that every time I try to install something via Installer (e.g. a PKG file), the installation fails and get this error message:

"The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Here's the log messages while trying to install the nVidia CUDA drivers:

10/02/13 00:14:34,803 CoreServicesUIAgent[592]: Error: qtn_file_apply_to_path error: Read-only file system

10/02/13 00:14:35,012 Installer[608]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

10/02/13 00:14:36,264 Installer[608]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

10/02/13 00:14:38,797 Installer[608]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

10/02/13 00:14:44,694 coreservicesd[62]: Application App:"Installer" [ 0x0/0x9a09a] @ 0x0x7f9ba8c6c7a0 tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontASNs ( ( ASN:0x0-0x9b09b:) ), so denying.

10/02/13 00:14:44,694 WindowServer[495]: [cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to Installer, psn 0x0-0x9a09a, securitySessionID=0x186ab, err=-13066

10/02/13 00:14:57,364 com.apple.kextd[12]: kextcache error while updating / (error count: 27)

10/02/13 00:14:58,986 Installer[608]: CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction; set CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 in environment to log backtraces.

10/02/13 00:14:59,134 Installer[608]: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

10/02/13 00:15:02,376 com.apple.kextd[12]: /: kextcache has had enough tries; not launching any more

I googled but I couldn't find the solution for this problem.

It's a very annoying problem because I can't install apps, updates and drivers.

Could someone help me?

Thanks!

Looks like file permissions problem. First check ownership of / is root:wheel and if you need to fix it do not apply changes recursively. Via Terminal:

sudo chown root:wheel /

Then be sure "enable ownership on this volume" is set for /, if not then enable it and do apply recursively. Can just do "get info" on main HD and at bottom unlock. If checkbox to enable ownership is not there, don't worry and move on, if it is there, be sure it's checked and choose to apply recursively by clicking gear wheel and choosing that option.

Then do permission repair with Disk Utility.

• Like 1

well first step is to find out why your Kernel cache not building. If it's just the Cuda drivers, then it could be due to smbios since that installer is targeted at specific MacPro models only

Seems to be a GateKeeper issue.

Type the following in terminal:

sudo spctl --master-disable
sudo spctl --status

If the second command returns:

assessments disabled

You should be able to install.

well first step is to find out why your Kernel cache not building. If it's just the Cuda drivers, then it could be due to smbios since that installer is targeted at specific MacPro models only

It's not just CUDA, any installation that uses Installer.

I also tried to install Microsoft Keyboard drivers, Logitech Mouse Driver, iTunes... all of them failed.

I can only install apps whose install is via drag and drop.

Do you use custom kexts such as rollbacks?

As far as I can remember, no custom kexts. No rollback.

Seems to be a GateKeeper issue.

Type the following in terminal:

sudo spctl --master-disable
sudo spctl --status

If the second command returns:

assessments disabled

You should be able to install.

I can see the message, but it didn't work.

PS.: I forgot to mention that I installed using MBR partiton table, because I had some problems booting Windows 7 using GPT.

Could it be the source of the problem?

Thanks!