How to add kexts to install USB drive ?

rvxtm

13 posts in this topic

I have a question for some time, and i never found a answer, here is the problem, i need 4 kexts: my audio, lan and sata (icons fix) to work, and fakesmc.

Usualy i put this kexts in the /Extra/Extensions of the install USB (with the kernel patcher plugin for chameleon) but MacMan's "RealtekRTL81xx.kext" does not load when i boot the OS after install (for the first time) unless i put it in S/L/E from another install partition.

So my problem is how to insert this kexts directly into the install so that they are copied to S/L/E directly with the install, so when the system boots for the first time, it has the kexts.

And i've tried to copy the 4 kexts in S/L/E on the installer USB , but the installer does not copy them to the disk.

This is not a major inconvenience, but i would like to have LAN at the first boot so i can set up iCloud and all the stores there from the start.

Hope you guys understand my problem, not a native english speaker here so it may sound awkward.

• 1 month later...

I just can't believe none knows how to do a slipstream of the kexts in the installer of Mountain Lion or Lion. The info the liked page is outdated, from my knowdlege in the newest versions of OS X the "mkext" idea is outdated.

• 2 weeks later...

You can read the according man pages at "man kextutil" and find out how this is done.

I believe you would need to work with "-e, "-k", and "-r". Never tried it myself though, yet.

EDIT:

Alternatively you can place the required kext and all its dependencies into /E/E/.

E/E does not work corectly with all kexts ... The realtek lan kext will not load if placed in E/E (i know i need the kernelpatcher module with chameleon

I would suggest installing OSX on two different partitions of your HD. One would be a test partition and the other the main working partition. Install both from the USB installer. Boot into the Test install from the USB stick and add the necessary kexts into E/E and S/L/E. Obviously, you will not have internet, audio, etc on the Test partition at this boot. You can also install your desired kexts into the appropriate places on the Main partition.

Now when you boot into the Main partition you will have ethernet, audio, etc. when you do the setup. Once done you could delete the Test partition if desired.