[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

Hi again, guys. I did managed to bring my Mavericks up and installed the Intel HD (First gen) which is working just fine for now but after putting the kexts with Kext helper, I have lost my USB connection. I am not sure what is the connection between those two, however before installing my video, everything was just working fine. Is it possible that the problem is in AppleIntelFB kext and I should try with the other possibilities LW1, 2, 3, 4 etc, ?

I have tried to fix the USB problem by setting USB Legacy = Off, as well as installing Rehabsman GenericUSBXHCI kext but so far no good. Any ideas or points?

Graphics kexts and USB problems are not related. Your going a bit off topic here.

is there a way to make via a separate port for extending display?

You mean extending the desktop to another display? For now the AAPL,os-info code supports 1 port to output.

Also, I have noticed that VGA screen resolution is only properly detected when VGA is only port active in kext if both VGA and LVoutDS VGA edid not detected correctly. Is there a way to tell osx which one to look at first. Is there a way to load vga first and then LVDS so that. Is there an IGPU patch for dsdt I am on hm55 with core i3 380M. is there a dual display dual link patch i can use to do this?   

GhostRider, I know it sounds weird to me too, but that is the reality. I have perfectly working Mavericks but as soon as I add the kexts and update the cache with Kext Helper, I am loosing the USB 2.0 and even the internally build camera stops too. 

I am sorry about asking here as I know it sounds crazy, but for me it is related somehow, so I am trying to just figure out what is the connection as I do not do anything else but to start adding the kindly attached kexts in here after a few restarts of the system so to make sure nothing was going off the stage and causing the problem. So as soon as I add the kexts - boom and I am left with no USB 2.0. Even adding genericusb kext does not help.

Well I guess I should try and do the dsdt patching part so to avoind kext confilct or something. I am comming back to page one and starting to read what patches should I apply to have just the video working for now as this is my main "problem" so far. And again - I do appologise to every one who thinks this is off topic.

Thank you guys for sharing your knowlege so that a newbie like me can get his mac os x up and running.

GhostRider, I know it sounds weird to me too, but that is the reality. I have perfectly working Mavericks but as soon as I add the kexts and update the cache with Kext Helper, I am loosing the USB 2.0 and even the internally build camera stops too. 

I am sorry about asking here as I know it sounds crazy, but for me it is related somehow, so I am trying to just figure out what is the connection as I do not do anything else but to start adding the kindly attached kexts in here after a few restarts of the system so to make sure nothing was going off the stage and causing the problem. So as soon as I add the kexts - boom and I am left with no USB 2.0. Even adding genericusb kext does not help.

Well I guess I should try and do the dsdt patching part so to avoind kext confilct or something. I am comming back to page one and starting to read what patches should I apply to have just the video working for now as this is my main "problem" so far. And again - I do appologise to every one who thinks this is off topic.

Thank you guys for sharing your knowlege so that a newbie like me can get his mac os x up and running.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but let me ask you to clarify: Is USB working prior to the addition of the Intel HD Graphics Kexts?  And, immediately after the reboot of adding the Intel HD Graphics, USB stops working?  Also, if you remove the kexts for the Intel HD Graphics and rebuild the cache, does USB work again upon reboot?  I don't see how these are connected myself, but if what you claim is true and the Intel HD Graphics kexts are screwing up USB, it should work without the Intel HD Graphics kexts, regardless of if they were present in the system before or not.  Try it and report back here!

Hello. first thanks for such a nice tutorial. it also improved my basic knowledge.

i have an i5 450m in my laptop. and i know it has an lvds cable, i have disassembled it with a friend.

all framebuffers that let it boot give me a distorded screen.

e3swqtqx.jpg

If i use different link widths it gives me a slightly different distorted screen. meant you such a distortion? if i move a window, it seems, the hardware accelerates something. but i'm not shure.

do anyone know what is the problem? i'm know using 10.8.0 for dp1, but with the updates, it the same.

my resolution is 1280x800

i think this is single link right?

Like it says in the post above this one, I feel that this is an EDID detection issue.  And I've pointed out to other users before that there is a guide in the Intel sections on the Graphics Cards board that deals with this very same issue.  Every time, they point out that upon trying it, it failed to solve their issue.  However, upon further thought about this issue, I realized the guide found at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/ has worded it in a way that can confuse people due to the interesting history of "support" from OS X with our graphics card: from no support, to limited acceleration support in Snow Leopard only, to the Resolution module, to the Core Image support, to the Framebuffer patches, etc.  I figured this might clear it up:

When the guide linked above says:

Solution A; IF YOUR DISPLAY WORKS PROPERLY SOMETIMES (FLAKY EDID PICKUP):

This does NOT include the resolution module.  When it says "display working properly", it means that the display is working fully and correctly, and the correct Framebuffer is loaded and active.  When you use the resolution module, nothing magical happens; your video bios, which has a limited amount of supported resolutions in something called VESA tables, is patched to include your monitor's resolution as detected by your EDID.  Mac OS X then loads a generic VGA driver, just like it would without the resolution module.  The kernel is fed by Chameleon your highest VESA resolution.  The resolution module ensures this is your monitor's highest supported resolution.  Just because your display is your monitor's resolution doesn't mean the display is working properly; without the framebuffer, this generic VGA driver will show you a fake EDID that is universally accepted by OS X for any monitor.  This EDID is meaningless once a framebuffer is loaded and active!

You need to do solution B, which means that you need another OS like Linux or (gulp) Windows.  Even an old MS-DOS method is mentioned in the thread.  Therefore, I recommend you retrieve your EDID using whatever means possible before installing OS X.  Once OS X is installed, get networking working right away.  This can be wireless, but Ethernet will do.  Also set up screen sharing, and make sure you have access to another computer to access and control the "mac" remotely before you progress any further.  Now, install the Intel HD Graphics kexts, and follow the guide using the shared screen.  Your monitor should be detected by OS X, but without the correct EDID.  This is when you place an override, which will be used to fix the monitor issues.  Once you reboot, your computer should have your internal display working!!

For those having a distorted display (like fungie), please try out my advice and report back here once you have done so!

• Like 1

Hello to all,

I installed the kexts successfully but after a while, the shadow of the windows is odd, as can be seen in the attached image of Terminal window. This only happens on OS X Mavericks (10.9), in 10.8.5 and Windows does not. Could someone help me?
captura_tela.png

I have never seen this problem before. Looks to me like a hardware issue, but have you enabled some framebuffer features? Second are you using Chameleon or Clover? Sometime Clover causes graphical problems.

Also, I have noticed that VGA screen resolution is only properly detected when VGA is only port active in kext if both VGA and LVoutDS VGA edid not detected correctly. Is there a way to tell osx which one to look at first. Is there a way to load vga first and then LVDS so that. Is there an IGPU patch for dsdt I am on hm55 with core i3 380M. is there a dual display dual link patch i can use to do this?   

I wish there was support for multiple displays but we need someone to look deeper into the framebuffer code. Verteks has been inactive for a long time now so it is unknown if he was developing a way to enable this. I'm pretty sure our framebuffer supports it somehow.

Hello. first thanks for such a nice tutorial. it also improved my basic knowledge.

i have an i5 450m in my laptop. and i know it has an lvds cable, i have disassembled it with a friend.

all framebuffers that let it boot give me a distorded screen.

e3swqtqx.jpg

If i use different link widths it gives me a slightly different distorted screen. meant you such a distortion? if i move a window, it seems, the hardware accelerates something. but i'm not shure.

do anyone know what is the problem? i'm know using 10.8.0 for dp1, but with the updates, it the same.

my resolution is 1280x800

i think this is single link right?

You have to install OS X 10.8.5 or OS X 10.9. There is no support for older versions of OS X.

• Like 1

Hi GhostRaider.

I have never seen this problem before. Looks to me like a hardware issue, but have you enabled some framebuffer features? Second are you using Chameleon or Clover? Sometime Clover causes graphical problems.

My hardware seems to be ok since it occurs only in 10.9. It can also be a bug Mavericks (think that is the most likely). I use Chameleon.
My current framebuffer is the second alternative, but it also occurs in normal and in alternative 1.
This problem appears after a few hours turned on the notebook. When I change the resolution (to a lower and then go back to normal) the shadow back to normal, and after some time again has the problem.
An hour ago I changed the ACPI kext, yet there was no problem. I'll see, although I think it would not have the means to affect but as yet malfunctioned.

Thanks for the help!

For some reason, after upgrading to 10.9, I needed to switch to the Alternate2 version.

In 10.8.5, I could use the Alternate 1 version without problem (actually, the only change required was disabling the power states).

Just a warning in case you're pulling your hair over this.

I'm not sure if its just me but I don't think our Intel HD Graphics IGPU has power management. I enabled LogControl=1 in the AGPM.kext and checked the Console for any AGPM messages and the power states never change. 

The only time i ever see AGPM messages is when OS X finishes booting. The last message i get is:

AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 3, ControlID = 16 SW occupancy updated.

From here, no matter what graphics intense app I open, the power state never changes. I don't get any report in the Console.

I'm not sure if its just me but I don't think our Intel HD Graphics IGPU has power management. I enabled LogControl=1 in the AGPM.kext and checked the Console for any AGPM messages and the power states never change. 

The only time i ever see AGPM messages is when OS X finishes booting. The last message i get is:

AGPM: GPU = GFX0 G-state set to 0 from 3, ControlID = 16 SW occupancy updated.

From here, no matter what graphics intense app I open, the power state never changes. I don't get any report in the Console.

Hi GhostRaider,

Did you tried my tweaks I posted a few posts back. This seemed to enabled the PM. Please try. :)

Hi GhostRaider,

Did you tried my tweaks I posted a few posts back. This seemed to enabled the PM. Please try. :)

Are you sure your tweaks work? I modified the AGPM kext on 10.9 and added your tweaks to it. But I'm not sure if these console messages are correct:

AGPM: updateGPUHwPstate(0, 0): fHwPstate = 0 fFB = 0xffffff800b658800

They all state Pstate (0,0) Usually if power management is correct it would say Pstate(1,0) or (2,0)

Congratulations on your wonderful work.
All fluid, but I have two problems.
Ram 288MB instead of 768MB.

And another problem is that I want to use duplicate monitor with 1440x900 resolution.
How AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext I used that in the \ SingleLink \ Alternate \ LCD + VGA \ LCD + VGA LW1

The monitor is duplicated, and I fully support QE / CI, resolution is right on the laptop screen (1366x768), but not right on the monitor connected to the vga, because it should be 1440x900 on the connected monitor.

You get 1440x900 resolution on a monitor connected to the vga?

Some magician hackintosh that recreates the file Resolution.dylib with resolution as 1440x900? It does not matter if the laptop monitor after that is incorrect, please use only one monitor connected.

Or how can I get resolution of 1440x900 on the monitor connected to the vga?

Switchrex does not work, does not change (force) resolution  :wallbash: 

Thanks and sorry for my english, I'm Italian.

2013_11_21_14_50_48.jpg

2013_11_21_15_02_03.jpg

Some guru who knows how to modify the attached form from 1366x768 to 1440x900? It does not matter then if the screen resolution of the laptop is busted, why use only the connected monitor

o have the resolution 1440x900 with means patcher DSDT. Someone knows how to do modification DSDT attached?

Senza_titolo.jpg

Resolution.zip

DSDT Laptop Olivetti s1500.zip

anyone able to help? :wallbash:

I'm not understanding what you are trying to do.

1. You cannot have multiple displays. Either you use an external monitor and disable laptop display or you only use laptop display.

2. If you want to use an external display, you need to change your os-info code to in dsdt. You will need to switch between 2 dsdts if you want to boot with laptop screen or external display.

3. Remember, when you see apple logo on laptop lcd, connect vga. os x will switch to external display and native resolution should automatically be detected. If not you may need to use SwitchResX.

Can anyone build me a kexts for my Graphics because it won't start. . im on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Intel HD 1000 this is from ubuntu:

PIPEACONF: 0xc0000050 (enabled, active, pf-pd, rotate 0, 6b                     PIPEBCONF: 0x00000000 (disabled, inactive, pf-pd, rotate 0,                     PIPECCONF: 0x00000000 (disabled, inactive, pf-pd, rotate 0,                     PFA_CTL_1: 0x00000000 (disable, auto_scale yes, auto_scale_cal no, v_filter enable, vadapt disable, mode least, filter_sel programmed,chrom                     PFB_CTL_1: 0x00000000 (disable, auto_scale yes, auto_scale_cal no, v_filter enable, vadapt disable, mode least, filter_sel programmed,chrom                     PFC_CTL_1: 0x00000000 (disable, auto_scale yes, auto_scale_cal no, v_filter enable, vadapt disable, mode least, filter_sel programmed,chrom              PCH_DREF_CONTROL: 0x00001400 (cpu source disable, ssc_source enable, nonspread_source enable, superspread_source disable, ssc4_mode downspread, ss               PCH_RAWCLK_FREQ: 0x0000007d (FDL_TP1 timer 0.5us, FDL_TP2 timer 1                  PCH_DPLL_SEL: 0x00000000 (FDL_TP1 timer 0.5us, FDL_TP2 timer 1                    PCH_DPLL_A: 0x88046004 (enable, sdvo high speed no, mode LVD                    PCH_DPLL_B: 0x04800080 (disable, sdvo high speed no, mode (n                   FDI_TXA_CTL: 0xb0044000 (enable, train pattern not train, voltage swing 0.4V,pre-emphasis none, port width X1, enhanced framing enable, FDI P                   FDI_TXB_CTL: 0x00044000 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, voltage swing 0.4V,pre-emphasis none, port width X1, enhanced framing enable, FDI                    FDI_TXC_CTL: 0x00000000 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, voltage swing 0.4V,pre-emphasis none, port width X1, enhanced framing disable, FDI                   FDI_RXA_CTL: 0xb0022050 (enable, train pattern not train, port width X1, 6bpc,link_reverse_strap_overwrite no, dmi_link_reverse no, FDI PLL enable,FS ecc disable, FE ecc disable, FS err report disable, FE err report disab                   FDI_RXB_CTL: 0x00000040 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, port width X1, 8bpc,link_reverse_strap_overwrite no, dmi_link_reverse no, FDI PLL disable,FS ecc disable, FE ecc disable, FS err report disable, FE err report dis                   FDI_RXC_CTL: 0x00000000 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, port width X1, 8bpc,link_reverse_strap_overwrite no, dmi_link_reverse no, FDI PLL disable,FS ecc disable, FE ecc disable, FS err report disable, FE err report dis                      PCH_ADPA: 0x00f40018 (disabled, transcoder A, +hsync, +vsy                         HDMIB: 0x0000089c (disabled pipe A 8bpc TMDS DVI audio                          HDMIC: 0x00000018 (disabled pipe A 8bpc SDVO DVI audio                          HDMID: 0x00000018 (disabled pipe A 8bpc SDVO DVI audio                 PCH_PP_CONTROL: 0xabcd0003 (blacklight disabled, power down on r'         RC6pp_RESIDENCY_TIME: 0xffffffff (HW DRRS off)

The brightness values are in all laptops the same?

0x0384,
				 0x0384,
				 Zero,
				 0x012C,
				 0x0258,
				 0x0384,
				 0x04B0,
				 0x05DC,
				 0x0708,
				 0x0834,
				 0x0960,
				 0x0AC8,
				 0x0BB8,
				 0x0CE4,
				 0x0E10,
				 0x0F3C,
				 0x10CC,
				 0x1194,
				 0x12C0

If not, how I can find the values that my Fn keys are setting. My keyboard has 3 function keys, 2 for more/less brightness and 1 for turn off the display.

Thanks!

The brightness values are in all laptops the same?

0x0384,
				 0x0384,
				 Zero,
				 0x012C,
				 0x0258,
				 0x0384,
				 0x04B0,
				 0x05DC,
				 0x0708,
				 0x0834,
				 0x0960,
				 0x0AC8,
				 0x0BB8,
				 0x0CE4,
				 0x0E10,
				 0x0F3C,
				 0x10CC,
				 0x1194,
				 0x12C0

If not, how I can find the values that my Fn keys are setting. My keyboard has 3 function keys, 2 for more/less brightness and 1 for turn off the display.

Thanks!

No, each laptop has its own brightness values. That is just just an example on how to set it up. To actually find the values themselves, you will need to randomly come up with number and see what they do. You will need to convert these numbers to hexadecimal.

For example, you can try 100, 200, 300, 400, and see what it does. Or maybe you can try 10, 20, 30, 40... etc. You will need 17 hexadecimal values.

Can anyone build me a kexts for my Graphics because it won't start. . im on Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Intel HD 1000 this is from ubuntu:

PIPEACONF: 0xc0000050 (enabled, active, pf-pd, rotate 0, 6b                     PIPEBCONF: 0x00000000 (disabled, inactive, pf-pd, rotate 0,                     PIPECCONF: 0x00000000 (disabled, inactive, pf-pd, rotate 0,                     PFA_CTL_1: 0x00000000 (disable, auto_scale yes, auto_scale_cal no, v_filter enable, vadapt disable, mode least, filter_sel programmed,chrom                     PFB_CTL_1: 0x00000000 (disable, auto_scale yes, auto_scale_cal no, v_filter enable, vadapt disable, mode least, filter_sel programmed,chrom                     PFC_CTL_1: 0x00000000 (disable, auto_scale yes, auto_scale_cal no, v_filter enable, vadapt disable, mode least, filter_sel programmed,chrom              PCH_DREF_CONTROL: 0x00001400 (cpu source disable, ssc_source enable, nonspread_source enable, superspread_source disable, ssc4_mode downspread, ss               PCH_RAWCLK_FREQ: 0x0000007d (FDL_TP1 timer 0.5us, FDL_TP2 timer 1                  PCH_DPLL_SEL: 0x00000000 (FDL_TP1 timer 0.5us, FDL_TP2 timer 1                    PCH_DPLL_A: 0x88046004 (enable, sdvo high speed no, mode LVD                    PCH_DPLL_B: 0x04800080 (disable, sdvo high speed no, mode (n                   FDI_TXA_CTL: 0xb0044000 (enable, train pattern not train, voltage swing 0.4V,pre-emphasis none, port width X1, enhanced framing enable, FDI P                   FDI_TXB_CTL: 0x00044000 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, voltage swing 0.4V,pre-emphasis none, port width X1, enhanced framing enable, FDI                    FDI_TXC_CTL: 0x00000000 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, voltage swing 0.4V,pre-emphasis none, port width X1, enhanced framing disable, FDI                   FDI_RXA_CTL: 0xb0022050 (enable, train pattern not train, port width X1, 6bpc,link_reverse_strap_overwrite no, dmi_link_reverse no, FDI PLL enable,FS ecc disable, FE ecc disable, FS err report disable, FE err report disab                   FDI_RXB_CTL: 0x00000040 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, port width X1, 8bpc,link_reverse_strap_overwrite no, dmi_link_reverse no, FDI PLL disable,FS ecc disable, FE ecc disable, FS err report disable, FE err report dis                   FDI_RXC_CTL: 0x00000000 (disable, train pattern pattern_1, port width X1, 8bpc,link_reverse_strap_overwrite no, dmi_link_reverse no, FDI PLL disable,FS ecc disable, FE ecc disable, FS err report disable, FE err report dis                      PCH_ADPA: 0x00f40018 (disabled, transcoder A, +hsync, +vsy                         HDMIB: 0x0000089c (disabled pipe A 8bpc TMDS DVI audio                          HDMIC: 0x00000018 (disabled pipe A 8bpc SDVO DVI audio                          HDMID: 0x00000018 (disabled pipe A 8bpc SDVO DVI audio                 PCH_PP_CONTROL: 0xabcd0003 (blacklight disabled, power down on r'         RC6pp_RESIDENCY_TIME: 0xffffffff (HW DRRS off)

Intel HD Graphics 1000 is not supported here. Sorry about that. I'm not even sure if OS X supports Intel HD 1000.

I don't think HD Graphics 1000 exists. By the dump I guess you actually have Sandy Bridge hardware -- in which case you followed the wrong guide, as your hardware should be natively supported.