Questions about smbios/boot.plist

tbplayer

6 posts in this topic

I have a smoothly running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 setup which was a vanilla install. I installed Chameleon as the bootloader.

1) The boot.plist that was installed was com.apple.Boot.plist and I never changed it. Like I stated, the computer runs very smooth, and fast, and I've not had any startup issues and few other issues - even had QE/CI on first boot. Should I change to a chameleon.boot.plist (since I'm using Chameleon)? I'm kinda thinking "if it works, don't fix it", but am I asking for trouble?

2) My smbios.plist calls my installation an iMac (the string is iMac11,1). I read a post that recommended changing it to "Mac Pro" - should I do that (I've already updated through the App Store)?

1) It's two names of the same. You could use either. But renaming would be a good idea, since the old name might become unsupported some day (just my guess, not an official information). Be sure to have the appropriate Chameleon version that accept the new naming.

2) Probably yes. The model name determines how power management works (different scenarios are used for different models). For instance it may change the way your GPU works. Some applications (AutoCAD for instance) can only be installed on certain Mac models. Try changing it and see if things gets any better/worst.

2) Probably yes. The model name determines how power management works (different scenarios are used for different models). For instance it may change the way your GPU works. Some applications (AutoCAD for instance) can only be installed on certain Mac models. Try changing it and see if things gets any better/worst.

OK, but do I just change the SMproductname string? Do I need to change any other strings, like SMboardproduct?

And will this change disable this computer for the App Store?

OK, but do I just change the SMproductname string? Do I need to change any other strings, like SMboardproduct?
Yes if you want your PC look as genuine Mac as possible. Though it is not 100% necessary step, as it's for the most part cosmetic thing.

And will this change disable this computer for the App Store?
Don't know (I don't use App Store). I GUESS it will not.

Well I use Firefox (same with iTunes I use Mplayer as I don't own any iDevice) :) . The only updates I do, are updates provided by Apple via Software Updates function. I have only notebook left which has SL installed. Anyway I seriously doubt you may have any complications with App Store as long as you have SL installed. ML and LI may have issues with that.