Kernel panic when opening Sound Preferences

Harry Seaward

5 posts in this topic

System:

ASUS m4a78-EM

AMD X2 250

Nvidia 9500 GT 1gb

Onboard Realtek ACL887

Install of 10.5.8 with iDeneb 1.6 went pretty smooth. The only issue I've found is that every time I open the Sound Preferences, I get a kernel panic. The audio is also kind of staticy at random intervals but I can live with this if it's the only issue I have.

Here is the configuration I used to install:

Installed from iDeneb v1.6 Lite (Leopard 10.5.8)

Bootloader: Chameleon v2

Kernel: 9.5.0 Kernel Voodoo

Apple Decrypt

Apple SMBIOS Patched: Apple SMBIOS 800Mhz

Disabler

DSDT Patcher

TimeMachine Fix

OpenHaltRestart

PS/2: VoodooPS2Controller

AboutThisMac Fix

SystemProfiler Fix

Fix: Seatbealt Fix

Audio: VoodooHDA

Chipset: AHCI SATA/IDE & AppleATIATA

Network: Ethernet/Realtek/ Select: RTL8169/RTL81111

Video: NVinject 0.2.1/ Select: NVinject 1024MB

Cleanup

post-1125923-0-24645200-1359484821_thumb.jpg

Can you remove the VoodooHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions?

Reboot, and see if you can open the sound preferences. Sound will not work, but that is not what it's about.

From what i have read, this panic occurs due to an faulty driver, or due to faulty RAM.

Which method did you use to get audio working?

You are using Leopard. Leopard is damn old. I am unsure if most audio kexts released since 2010 would work with it due to its age.

You may want to use SL instead. Greater compatibility options there.

Can you remove the VoodooHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions?

Reboot, and see if you can open the sound preferences. Sound will not work, but that is not what it's about.

From what i have read, this panic occurs due to an faulty driver, or due to faulty RAM.

Seems to be faulty driver.

I removed VoodooHDA.kext and can open the sound preferences with no problem now.

Which method did you use to get audio working?

I didn't do anything, actually. I installed with the options I listed in my first post and everything just worked (including my Linksys WMP54GS wireless card, which I was amazed). My only issue was the kernel panic on opening sound preferences.

Frankly, I've had more issues with EVERY one of the dozens of Windows installs I've ever done.

You are using Leopard. Leopard is damn old. I am unsure if most audio kexts released since 2010 would work with it due to its age.

You may want to use SL instead. Greater compatibility options there.

I'll look into making the change. I was hoping to go Lion or even ML, but it's looking like the mainstream distros for them only support Intel CPUs and I'm afraid the patches required to get either one working on my old ass hardware may more than I'm willing to take on at this stage.

Can you recomment a good AMD distro for SL? Or is there a way to just upgrade from the version of Leopard I'm running?

Can you recomment a good AMD distro for SL? Or is there a way to just upgrade from the version of Leopard I'm running?

That I cannot help you with. I am an Intel guy. I am sorry that I cannot recommend an install disk for your arch.