I have spent many hours on getting OS X to run smoothly on this laptop and now I’ve done it, I’m going to share what I did, because I ran into many many problems. What’s not working:
* The eSATA/USB 2.0 port works perfectly (haven’t tested eSATA) but the two USB 3.0 ports only work correctly with mass storage and mouse/keyboard. However they do work at USB 3.0 speed.
* Wifi doesn’t work
* Multitouch doesn’t work
* Haven’t bothered trying to get sleep, Bluetooth or card reader to work.
* HDMI out doesn’t work
* You need to boot with -f
Backup your entire disk with something like Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/ because it is easy to mess things up—the first time I installed Lion I accidentally deleted my Windows 7 100mb boot partition and needed to restore it.
Feel free to use my DSDT (attached) and kexts. I've given the sources for them where I can. I'm using 10.8 here, best of luck if you have a 10.8.2 install
1. Prepare your drive so that you have room for an HFS+ Mac partition. If you’re going to wipe everything, it won’t matter, but if you’re running Windows or Linux then resize your partition. I used GParted. http://gparted.sourc....net/livecd.php Also please note that you must install OS X onto a primary partition and you can only have a maximum of 4. (your Windows installation most likely has a 100mb system reserved partition as the boot partition)
2a. Using an OS X machine, prepare the installer. We are doing a completely vanilla install. Follow this guide’s Part 2 http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/with these variations:
* format the disk as MBR, not GUID (2.A part 5) (Dell BIOS will NOT boot GUID)
* Follow step 2D
Use a MacBook Pro 8,2 SMBIOS.
2b. In addition to the suggested kexts, you MUST use a DSDT otherwise you will get a grey striped screen when you’re supposed to get the install GUI. Copy my DSDT (dsdt.aml) into the root directory of the USB drive.
(This is my extracted XPS 15z DSDT with a few modifications—the errors and warnings fixed, the DualLink DTGP patch applied, HPET allocations, an audio patch and possibly some other minor things I can’t think of.)
You also must use the PS2-Synaptics-Keyboard-32+64 kexts from here http://www.osx86.net..._ps2_32-64.html otherwise the keyboard/trackpad will not work.
3. Reboot the machine with the USB drive in the eSATA/USB 2.0 port and a USB mouse in a USB 3 port. Although I have got it to boot with the drive in one of the USB 3.0 ports it’s not worth the hassle. Boot from USB and hopefully you will see Chameleon. Boot the installer with the –v flag.
Hopefully you’ll get into the GUI. If you get a kernel panic, it will be DSDT related—extract your own DSDT and apply the DualLink patch. If you get stuck on “Still waiting for root device”, ensure that you’ve plugged the USB drive into the eSATA/USB2 port.
4. Run the install, and when you finish, open up the terminal from Utilities->Terminal. Now we need to copy the extensions and DSDT so we can boot up. Type these (assuming your Mac volume is called OS X)
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext/ Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/ Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
5. Now reboot onto the USB stick but this time select your OS X partition rather than the USB stick. Boot with the -v -f -x flags. You must use the –x flag because the installation will not boot without the safe mode flag at this stage, and I always get the root device error without -f. Don’t know why.
6. Fix graphics—whilst in safe mode, go to /System/Library/Extensions and DELETE all nVidia kexts (you can back them up if you want). Also delete AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext. This should fix your graphics issues—I believe the graphics not working are related to the second nVidia graphics card. Reboot back onto the USB stick and select the OS X installation again (don't forget -v -f).
7. Install Chameleon or Chimera from within OS X. Also create an SMBIOS like you did before.
You may run into an issue I had with my hard-drive where Chameleon can’t install the boot sector properly. In this case you’ll have to use the Terminal in the install and use this method: http://www.macbreake...oot0-error.html This method didn’t work for me until I unmounted the volume for I ran dd. (Type diskutil unmount “OS X” first.)
8. If dual booting, go into Windows and modify your BCD with EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ so you can dual boot with OS X.
9. If you are having display glitch problems, use an EDID override http://www.insanelym...splay-problems/ and also update to FakeSMC 4.2 – this helped a lot for me.
10. Fix USB 3 –install PXHCD.kext from http://www.osx86.net...pxhcd.kext.html Use
Kext Helper to install kexts from now on or copy and then use Disk Utility to repair permissions.
11. Fix audio http://www.insanelym...-inspiron-1464/ If you’re using my DSDT, the DSDT patching has already been done.
12. Fix Ethernet– AtherosL1cEthernet.kext http://www.osx86.net...ernet.kext.html
13. Fix battery— VoodooBattery http://www.osx86.net...ttery_lion.html
That’s it! Enjoy, and let me know if you know how to fix any of the rest of the issues.