• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I've heard of other people who tried with mavericks. For mobile keplers, it's not different but they added some maxwell support. I don't think switching to maverick will help us much.

httuner made an unlocked bios v204 here: http://www.overclock...ustom-bios-file

It's focused on overclocking though, It doesn't say if there's anything there about graphics switching.

An option is an external graphics card: http://forum.noteboo...tml#post8487020

That might be our best bet if the unlocked bios doesn't have a graphics switching option. I don't want to try flashing the bios unless i know for sure that it has graphics switching because it's my only computer right now and I can't risk messing it up.

*Edit* I looked more into the egpu option and there are pros and cons that concern us.

Pros: Can get a graphics card that's compatible with mac, more ports for monitors and stuff, can be attached to more than one computer at once, portable

Cons: Requires an expresscard port (asus g75vx doesn't have one), will need an external monitor to plug into it, psu must be at least 12v (I think ours is sufficient)

I don't think it's worth pursuing this route so hopefully we can find another way

nyu1985

nyu1985

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

The unlock vbios from httuner is only to unlock the overcloking limit.

I have already put it on my G75VX and works like a charm.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

So it doesn't have an option to switch to intel hd graphics?

nyu1985

nyu1985

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

No I haven't seen something like that.

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

What you said may work trough the thunderbolt port. I saw a MacBook Air running an external graphics card modded trough the thunderbolt port

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

No I haven't seen something like that.

Dang. I think the problem is that the 670mx vbios is built in as part of the bios. However, I obtained the 670mx vbios by itself and tried the 'UseNvidiaBios=Yes' option but still got the same results. I'm thinking that something is conflicting with the graphics kexts. It may not be NVDAResman though. NVDAGK100hal and GeForce both don't load when NVDAResman is not present so the problem could lie with them. GeForce looks suspicious based on some other problems I've been reading and that it doesn't show up at all in the verbose when NVDAResman is installed. I checked the dependencies of the three of them and I think the two possible culprits are: IOGraphicsFamily and IOPCIFamily (IOACPIPlatform shouldn't be ruled out either). I'm looking into some dsdt patches and stuff to see what can be done. The problem is that I can't tell exactly what it is.

Also, AppleGraphicsPowerManagement has caused problems for people too. Maybe that's involved too. I almost want to have a kernel panic so I can at least see what's directly linked to the problem.

What you said may work trough the thunderbolt port. I saw a MacBook Air running an external graphics card modded trough the thunderbolt port

It might be an option but I'm not able to test it now unfortunately.

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Hello to all here!

I have no G75VX. But has anybody of You tried to change the values of "PCIRootID" and "npci"? Sometimes it helps to solve such problems.

Have fun!

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

After some more research, the optimus and vbios stuff has nothing to do with out problem. People with the g75vm (pretty much identical to the vx) with a 670m graphics card works oob (ones with 660m and 650m have the same problem we have). This means that the problem is purely software and focus should stay there. Bios and egpu are red herrings. As previously stated, suspects are: NVDAGK100hal, GeForce, I'm not completely ruling FakeSMC or NVDAResman out, IOGraphicsFamily, IOPCIFamily, ACPIPlatform, and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

The Asus G75vm has a 3D display. If the G75vx has not such a display, then could this be your problem.

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
The vx has a 3d display indeed.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Yeah, the monitor itself isn't, but it has the capability to plug 3d tvs/monitors into it with hdmi or whatever

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Here's a good thread to check out: http://www.insanelym...r-6xxm-working/

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hey Zac, do u speak spanish well? where r u from?

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I've been hearing lots of stuff about 'editing the binaries' as a possible solution. What are they talking about?

I know how to do some binary coding.

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
for sure they meant hex editing.

styrian

styrian

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Have you ever tried to do a complete install with SmBios of a MacPro? Then the driver of the Nvida K Quadros should be installed. Perhaps they are a litte more tolerant.

Have fun.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Okay. I have hex editing software too. So hex editing what? A kext, the nvidia rom? I have a copy of both

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I suppose hex editing some kext.

Anyway, can you explain to us the process and all about creating the dsdt for this machine ? Step by step ...

Thanx

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I actually forgot some of what I did but here's what I remember:

1)Got the DSDT Editor app 

2)In order to get the keyboard backlight working with the AsusNBFnKeys.kext, had to apply dsdt patch (kext and patch are here: http://forum.osxlati...sus-notebooks/)

3) There may have been other dependencies on other patches that were with the dsdt editor (I forget)

The big patching I did was creating a ssdt, not dsdt. I'm hoping for some more dsdt patches for the usb 3.0

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

While working on an unrelated task in windows 8 involving nvidia control panel, I looked under system information and found something that may help us.

The dedicated video memory is 3072mb like it should be but the system video memory (intel hd) was 0 mb which is the same memory amount detected in mac. Maybe intel graphcs aren't completely disabled after all and mac is picking up pieces of both intel and nvidia memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy