Asus G75VX - Mountain Lion

Valse

138 posts in this topic

I actually forgot some of what I did but here's what I remember:

1)Got the DSDT Editor app 

2)In order to get the keyboard backlight working with the AsusNBFnKeys.kext, had to apply dsdt patch (kext and patch are here: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1968-fn-hotkey-driver-for-asus-notebooks/)

3) There may have been other dependencies on other patches that were with the dsdt editor (I forget)

The big patching I did was creating a ssdt, not dsdt. I'm hoping for some more dsdt patches for the usb 3.0

While working on an unrelated task in windows 8 involving nvidia control panel, I looked under system information and found something that may help us.

The dedicated video memory is 3072mb like it should be but the system video memory (intel hd) was 0 mb which is the same memory amount detected in mac. Maybe intel graphcs aren't completely disabled after all and mac is picking up pieces of both intel and nvidia memory

Which picture? I didn't see it anywhere

On another note, I got bluetooth working flawlessly with the help of Leon and EMlyDinEsH from osxlatitude forums. 

Just follow the instructions for patching the bluetooth kext here: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2767-broadcom-80211-ac-wifi-and-bluetooth-combo-card-for-osx/

And then install v1.3 BTFirmwareUploader.kext from here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/

***Note*** Do not install the BTFirmwareUploader from the first link. It's v1.2 and doesn't work well with sleep and stuff.

Also, they updated the wifi kext as well (found in the first link) and once 10.8.5 comes out, will work oob with a dsdt patch listed there as well (no need for the kext anymore)

Nevermind. Check this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1368862/first-unlocked-g75vx-working-bios

There are 4 screen shots. One of them showing the option to activate internal graphics. If so, removing NVDAResman and leaving intel kexts should do the work.

On the other hand, stuff about bluetooth and wifi you are working on, is useless to spanish owners (maybe europeans too) cause we have Atheros wireless cards. Not Broadcom ones.

PS: It seems he removed the screenshot about graphics. I saw something about activating intel internal graphics and assign it VRAM from the RAM

PS2: Misunderstood, I rechecked it. The screenshots I saw are in this post:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284767-anyone-mobile-kepler-6xxm-working/page-7

It seems not an Asus BIOS. Shame on me!

Some one posted on Asus forums:

Intel HD 4000 wasn't enabled on G75 motherborard (there's even no control chip) due to a "strategy" of ASUS, they prefer using the switching capability of Nvidia 6xx series that enable powerful saving performance (ahahahahaha) when request from Windows power saving or motherboard-battery mode, so better leave as it is ^^

AREOS in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284767-anyone-mobile-kepler-6xxm-working/page-7 posted:

For laptops with optimus HD4000 + Kepler this is correct, if the internal screen is 120Hz then the connection must be to the display port on the motherboard, for avoid the HD4000 because this iGPU can´t support 120Hz, but in laptops without optimus like the G75VW and G75VX the problems is other, my theory is the VBios on the kepler card is created to disable the HD4000 so the Nvidia Drivers on OSX can´t work with this VBios.

It seems that we'd have to either replace the graphics card or edit the vbios. Replacing the graphics card isn't an option for me however extracting the vbios and editing it is (if anyone knows how). I was hoping I could use the 'UseNvidiaROM' option with an edited vbios so the actual one on the card won't be changed at all.

For the bluetooth firmware uploader (http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2925-bluetooth-firmware-uploader/), the following cards are supported:

Atheros AR5B195 Combo (AR9285 Wifi + AR3011 Bluetooth) 

Atheros WB225 Combo (AR9485 Wifi + AR3012 Bluetooth)

Broadcom BCM4352 combo (BCM4352 Wifi + BCM20702A1 Bluetooth)

What kind of atheros card do you have?

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 10.8.5 successfully but with a few hurdles. 

Before updating, reinstall NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and remove SSDT.aml

New update has a new version of AICPUPM. 

After update, attempted repatch but didn't work. 

Verbose boot kept saying something about smc fail, falling back to old version or something like that.

10.8.5 also has a new version of IOBluetoothFamily, so it'll need repatched

Everything else pretty much was fine

The realization has come to me that graphics will probably never fully work on this and that I don't need a hackintosh anymore. So I'm going to call it quits for hackintoshing this computer. I'll still help anyone who wants to try it themselves

Updated to 10.8.5 successfully but with a few hurdles.

Before updating, reinstall NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and remove SSDT.aml

New update has a new version of AICPUPM.

After update, attempted repatch but didn't work.

Verbose boot kept saying something about smc fail, falling back to old version or something like that.

10.8.5 also has a new version of IOBluetoothFamily, so it'll need repatched

Everything else pretty much was fine

The realization has come to me that graphics will probably never fully work on this and that I don't need a hackintosh anymore. So I'm going to call it quits for hackintoshing this computer. I'll still help anyone who wants to try it themselves

Well, you reach the state where I was in the begining. Without the help of Asus engineers, we cant figure out how the vbios works. So, we cant patch any kext. I am very furious with that cause I bought this notebook not for gaming, but to have a powerfull notebook with OSX. Not the {censored} macbook pro. So, at the end, I will be buying the next Haswell MBP and forget about asus forever. Pitty...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, now I realized that we were very dumb in a question wich I consider important right now. For us having the G75VX it is COMPLETELY understandable the matter of the HD4000 not beeing activated. Of course! That card can´t support 120hz refresh rate. So, for sure the 670mx is connected with the display trough the displayport wich can handle those 120hz.

Knowing that in one hand, and in the other knowing that the vbios is hidden somewhere, I think we have a new direction to point.

What do you think?

That makes sense and it's also important to note that the hd4000 graphics likely isn't even hooked up so the 670mx is the only graphics card able to be used in any os with this computer. I think the problem may be in the bootloader. If we could find a way to make the bootloader not read the bios and only read bios/vbios files saved somewhere, we might be able to get it to work but the problem is even when using the vbios option with chameleon, it still tries to read the actual bios which, since it's smashed together with the vbios, is conflicting with the vbios file and may be why it's not working.

• 2 weeks later...

Next thing to do is manage to chameleon see the correct vram and graphics card before to boot OSX.

Let's work on that. How to extract the vbios of the 670mx under windows or Linux? Where to put that file for chameleon to see it?

Next thing to do is manage to chameleon see the correct vram and graphics card before to boot OSX. Let's work on that. How to extract the vbios of the 670mx under windows or Linux? Where to put that file for chameleon to see it?

Hello!

Did you ever have a look in all ACPI tables, extracted in Win?

Can you please upload the complete dump here?

Have fun.

Ok, I extracted the vbios off the system bios in windows with mmtool, then added "use nvidia rom" and placed the rom in /extra/ causing chameleon to see the rom, but system inmediatly resets.

How to view ACPI tables in Windows?