Asus G75VX - Mountain Lion

Valse

138 posts in this topic

Well while you're still here, I have two theories I'm trying out. One is that nvdaresman is conflicting with nullcpupowermanagement. So I'm trying to make an ssdt and get rid of it. The other is that maybe the intel hd kexts are loading too and messing with it so I'm going to try deleting those and see what happens. Any suggestions? I'd look at fakesmc but I don't know much about apple source code

I think intel graphics ar completely off from bios. Try to delete em and see whats happen. But if you look into windows device drivers, you will see no hd graphics a all. Anyway, note what kext are you deleting for us to know.

I tried a different nullcpumanagement because I installed it together with the baterry kext to my battery shows up. Anyway, you can try and give us the results.

I thing we can try figuring out what is the proprietary stuff that difference this asus card with other 670mx. Maybe is a path to follow too.

I tried deleting every kext that had the words hd graphics in them which was 8 or more and then installed nvdaresman and to noone's surprise, it didn't work.

On the plus side, I patched AICPUPM, created a ssdt with 28 or so pstates (if i counted them right), and was able to remove nullcpupowermanagement once and for all. So I now have full cpu power management. However this didn't affect the graphics problem at all either as I tried with resman again and it still had the same results. I said the heck with the battery kext because I thought that maybe AppleACPIPlatform had something to do with it but it doesn't look like it. 

Next I want to patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement just to see what happens. I'm starting to run out of ideas. 

Is there any kind of debug mode or something for chameleon so I can see more than just what the verbose shows?

No debug that I know. I think we may start to investigate how to enable hd4000 in the BIOS. I know some people unlocked the G75 BIOS and managed to show a lot of hidden options. But I dont know if one of them is Hd4000 enabler.

I'm hoping that I don't have to mess with the bios as this is my college laptop. However, as joshhh posted here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284767-anyone-mobile-kepler-6xxm-working/page-5

it appears that when the graphics card is integrated with the bios (like the g75vx), the graphics don't work. Maybe the bootloader can't read the vbios right because it's not set apart from the bios. I was thinking maybe we could rip the 670mx rom from it and use the "UseNvidiaROM=Yes" bootflag in chameleon so it'll load the vbios properly. 

*Edit* Tried extracting the vbios with gpuz and it gave the error message: "bios reading not supported on this device" confirming my suspicions that the vbios is part of the bios. 

*Edit2*Got rom for 670mx somebody uploaded and tried the UseNvidiaRom=Yes/VBIOS=Yes/GraphicsEnabler=no and it did nothing.

On a side note, I just patched BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext inside of IOBluetoothFamily.kext so the bluetooth is now working for me :) I uploaded the patched kext here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4125

Hi,

You can find attach my IORegistry in order to make an EFI String for the gtx 670mx. I tried to make one myself but didn't work.

Unfortunately, I got it without NVDResman loaded because I was unable to log into my G75 via vnc...

Hope it will help.

I tried the efi string thing already and it's purely for aesthetics at this point. Without NVDAResman, it's pretty useless

I'v been working on patching AGPM and tired resman again (both patched with the iopcimatch and not) and noticed that the final line before the bluetooth is dsmos as arrived. This may be the clue we've been looking for in what's wrong with the graphics. 

I've heard of other people who tried with mavericks. For mobile keplers, it's not different but they added some maxwell support. I don't think switching to maverick will help us much.

httuner made an unlocked bios v204 here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1370714/gtx-670mx-overclocking-updated-custom-bios-file

It's focused on overclocking though, It doesn't say if there's anything there about graphics switching.

An option is an external graphics card: http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gpu-external-graphics-discussion/660311-diy-egpu-macos-experiences.html#post8487020

That might be our best bet if the unlocked bios doesn't have a graphics switching option. I don't want to try flashing the bios unless i know for sure that it has graphics switching because it's my only computer right now and I can't risk messing it up.

*Edit* I looked more into the egpu option and there are pros and cons that concern us.

Pros: Can get a graphics card that's compatible with mac, more ports for monitors and stuff, can be attached to more than one computer at once, portable

Cons: Requires an expresscard port (asus g75vx doesn't have one), will need an external monitor to plug into it, psu must be at least 12v (I think ours is sufficient)

I don't think it's worth pursuing this route so hopefully we can find another way

No I haven't seen something like that.

Dang. I think the problem is that the 670mx vbios is built in as part of the bios. However, I obtained the 670mx vbios by itself and tried the 'UseNvidiaBios=Yes' option but still got the same results. I'm thinking that something is conflicting with the graphics kexts. It may not be NVDAResman though. NVDAGK100hal and GeForce both don't load when NVDAResman is not present so the problem could lie with them. GeForce looks suspicious based on some other problems I've been reading and that it doesn't show up at all in the verbose when NVDAResman is installed. I checked the dependencies of the three of them and I think the two possible culprits are: IOGraphicsFamily and IOPCIFamily (IOACPIPlatform shouldn't be ruled out either). I'm looking into some dsdt patches and stuff to see what can be done. The problem is that I can't tell exactly what it is.

Also, AppleGraphicsPowerManagement has caused problems for people too. Maybe that's involved too. I almost want to have a kernel panic so I can at least see what's directly linked to the problem.

What you said may work trough the thunderbolt port. I saw a MacBook Air running an external graphics card modded trough the thunderbolt port

It might be an option but I'm not able to test it now unfortunately.

After some more research, the optimus and vbios stuff has nothing to do with out problem. People with the g75vm (pretty much identical to the vx) with a 670m graphics card works oob (ones with 660m and 650m have the same problem we have). This means that the problem is purely software and focus should stay there. Bios and egpu are red herrings. As previously stated, suspects are: NVDAGK100hal, GeForce, I'm not completely ruling FakeSMC or NVDAResman out, IOGraphicsFamily, IOPCIFamily, ACPIPlatform, and AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.