• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

qwerty12

qwerty12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Do you know a way to BIOS recovery mode entering with some combination of buttons to reflash the BIOS?

The procedure is explained quite well here: http://forum.noteboo...tml#post9153960

I had to do something similar before with my N55SL when it would turn on and instantly go off when I had changed the Intel MEI firmware flashing settings in the BIOS...

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well, I don't know if it has anything to do, but that combination doesn't do anything on my spanish keyboard.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Wow, sounds like you got a dud. I don't know but tat combination in the bios works fine for me

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Since I can't reach anything to see on the screen, I removed all hard disks from the notebook. Putted the first hard drive to an USB external enclosure and attached to my iMac. Copied the .bin file that is in my c: drive to the root of a fat32 formatted pendrive with led indicator (to know if the flashing is working or not) Full charged the battery. Turned off the notebook. Attached the pendrive to the upper left USB port. Pressed Control+Inicio, holdem and pressed the power button. Notebook went on, keyboard backlit went on-off. Released the Control+ Inicio. Waited for the pendrive to do anything. Nothing. Black screen. Pendrive doesn't do anything.

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well, after paying more atention, I realized that the notebook indeed DOES somthing when I started it pressing CRTL+HOME. Never noticed beforce, but if I don't press that combination the screen is black with no hdd led working. But when I power up with CTRL+HOME pressed, after a few seconds the screen remains black but the hdd led starts to light constantly. Weak but contantly. You have to look carefully to notice it. That shows me that CTRL+HOME seems to work. But it seems to never end the task. The notebook never shutsdown, like it supossed to do after flashing. There's no noise coming from the hdds but the spinning noise.

qwerty12

qwerty12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Did you rename the bin file you copied like both those links said (yes, my post is less concise on things - the thread is on my N55SL and when I'm putting files on the USB stick through my phone in USB host mode, I don't really have the time to figure out which filename is the correct one)? If it's found the correct file, the BIOS will restore the default failsafe settings and you will see the ASUS splash screen followed by ASUS EzFlash flashing the BIOS you put on the USB stick.

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I din't rename the file cause it must work that way. The file was originally in my c: drive. It's called G75VX.BIN, so I assume is the correct name since Asus putted there.
Oh s h i t. Wait! The flash worked. Cause the notebook reseted itself. It just took more time that I expected to. Like 15 minutes. I went to the kitchen to prepare a sandwich, came to my room just in time to see it rebooting. But the screen is still black.

qwerty12

qwerty12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
Yeah, see, if you didn't rename it then the BIOS isn't going to pick it up. Simple as that.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Back on topic, I've done some troubleshooting and I'm not so sure that nvdaresman is in conflict with fakesmc. Is there any kind of a debug mode or anything so I can see more of what's going on during the verbose boot of chameleon? Any way to save the boot log?

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Simple as removing the fakesmc and the system won't end booting but won't panic neither. So with nvdaresman and fakesmc the system panic. Without fakesmc the system wont panic nor boot..
I've been researching a bit, Asus graphics cards uses different and propietary stuff. The solution here must pass trough the path of binary patch. Anyway, when the notebook arrives from 2nd RMA I will sell it. Don't want to spend more of my lifetime in stuff like this.
Since I didn't bought this notebook for playing all day,just ocassionally, I'm planning to replace it for the new macbook pro with haswell the next month, or, in case I succesfully research about installing ML or Maverick on the G750, buy that one.
Anyway, If I'm still having this one, I will help here all I can.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Well while you're still here, I have two theories I'm trying out. One is that nvdaresman is conflicting with nullcpupowermanagement. So I'm trying to make an ssdt and get rid of it. The other is that maybe the intel hd kexts are loading too and messing with it so I'm going to try deleting those and see what happens. Any suggestions? I'd look at fakesmc but I don't know much about apple source code

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I think intel graphics ar completely off from bios. Try to delete em and see whats happen. But if you look into windows device drivers, you will see no hd graphics a all. Anyway, note what kext are you deleting for us to know.
I tried a different nullcpumanagement because I installed it together with the baterry kext to my battery shows up. Anyway, you can try and give us the results.
I thing we can try figuring out what is the proprietary stuff that difference this asus card with other 670mx. Maybe is a path to follow too.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I tried deleting every kext that had the words hd graphics in them which was 8 or more and then installed nvdaresman and to noone's surprise, it didn't work.

On the plus side, I patched AICPUPM, created a ssdt with 28 or so pstates (if i counted them right), and was able to remove nullcpupowermanagement once and for all. So I now have full cpu power management. However this didn't affect the graphics problem at all either as I tried with resman again and it still had the same results. I said the heck with the battery kext because I thought that maybe AppleACPIPlatform had something to do with it but it doesn't look like it. 

Next I want to patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement just to see what happens. I'm starting to run out of ideas. 

Is there any kind of debug mode or something for chameleon so I can see more than just what the verbose shows?

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
No debug that I know. I think we may start to investigate how to enable hd4000 in the BIOS. I know some people unlocked the G75 BIOS and managed to show a lot of hidden options. But I dont know if one of them is Hd4000 enabler.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I'm hoping that I don't have to mess with the bios as this is my college laptop. However, as joshhh posted here: http://www.insanelym...-working/page-5

it appears that when the graphics card is integrated with the bios (like the g75vx), the graphics don't work. Maybe the bootloader can't read the vbios right because it's not set apart from the bios. I was thinking maybe we could rip the 670mx rom from it and use the "UseNvidiaROM=Yes" bootflag in chameleon so it'll load the vbios properly. 

*Edit* Tried extracting the vbios with gpuz and it gave the error message: "bios reading not supported on this device" confirming my suspicions that the vbios is part of the bios. 

*Edit2*Got rom for 670mx somebody uploaded and tried the UseNvidiaRom=Yes/VBIOS=Yes/GraphicsEnabler=no and it did nothing.

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Looked into the system profiler and compared it to the ioreg and found something weird. In system profiler under lci cards, the 670mx is detected under display b :

DisplayB.png?tsid=20130819-021617-ddb20f

But in ioreg, all of the stuff is loaded under display a:

Ioreg-display.png?tsid=20130819-021704-5

I'm confused

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

On a side note, I just patched BroadcomBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext inside of IOBluetoothFamily.kext so the bluetooth is now working for me :) I uploaded the patched kext here: http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=4125

Hi,

You can find attach my IORegistry in order to make an EFI String for the gtx 670mx. I tried to make one myself but didn't work.

Unfortunately, I got it without NVDResman loaded because I was unable to log into my G75 via vnc...

Hope it will help.

I tried the efi string thing already and it's purely for aesthetics at this point. Without NVDAResman, it's pretty useless

Zackptg5

Zackptg5

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

I'v been working on patching AGPM and tired resman again (both patched with the iopcimatch and not) and noticed that the final line before the bluetooth is dsmos as arrived. This may be the clue we've been looking for in what's wrong with the graphics. 

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Nice work! I'm waiting the notebook to return from 2nd RMA.

NiPeGun

NiPeGun

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Have you tried Mavericks. May be the graphics kexts are different. I think we must start to try with Mavericks since it's about to come out and we better focus on the last OS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy