Asus G75VX - Mountain Lion

Valse

138 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm back on this forum after 5 years.

I'm thinking about intsall Mountain Lion on my new ASUS G75VX-CV006H.

Here's my pc specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Intel HM77 Express Chipset

16 GB RAM

Hard Disk SSD Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB + Hard Disk 7200rpm 750 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX - 3 GB DDR5

I've tried with ###### standard procedure, but I've some problems with NVEnabler and OpenCL.

Any advice? Someone have already installed Mountain Lion on this Notebook?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I started a thread on my forum to discuss the issue with the installation and graphics acceleration on an Asus G75VX. Located here:

http://www.hacks4geeks.com/foro/index.php?topic=8681

The reason I created that thread in the hacks4geeks forum is cause TonyMac is banning me from his site. Erasing my post. Etc. And we can´t discuss it here because is forbidden in this forum to talk about TonyMac staff.

The whole forum is in spanish, but I created that thread in english so we can understand each other. Anyway, I´m translating that thread word by word from spanish to english. So be patient.

At the end, It can be usefull for people with GTX 660m too.

PS: I will create a guide in hacks4geeks to do the same, but using InsanelyMac method. (Pandora, etc) I will do it in spanish on the blog, and I´ll translate it to english on the forum. I´ll post it here when its done. Then, we can discuss it here with no bannig fears.

Meanwhile, to solve the matter of reaching the ML desktop in an Asus G75VX, you can use the guide in hacks4geeks

Hey NoPeGun, The files on the spanish guide you're translating no longer exist, so I tried making the usb drive as a guid. Regardless, I can't figure out how to boot from a usb drive with the terrible bios with my g75vx. Also I'm using a usb 3.0 flash drive so does the usb2.0 problem even apply here?

Oh! You´re right. I saw it. Now is corrected.

Solved the matter of reaching the ML desktop in this notebook, the thing we can really discuss here without being afraid of bannig, is the graphical acceleration.

The issue seems to be that NVDAResman.kext is in conflict with FakeSMC.kext. I don´t know why, just call it a lifetime geek´s intuition.

Without NVDAResMan.kext you can reach the desktop but you have no graphical acceleration and ML doesn´t recognize the graphics card withouth GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Beside, you need to "inject" the amount of vram that you have cause ML doesn´t recognize that neither.

To boot you need to set your BIOS as follows:

Advanced-SATA Configuration-SATA mode selection: AHCI
Advanced-USB configuration-Legacy USB support: Enabled
Advanced -> USB configuration -> xHCI pre-boot mode: Disabled
Boot -> launch csm enabled
Security -> secure boot control: Disabled

Now I´m thinking, the new iMac has the 670mx, 675mx and 680mx graphics cards, but the maximum VRAM supported in those Macs are 2GB. The GTX 670mx of the Asus G75VX has 3GB VRAM. I don´t know if is has anything to do. But, is there any method to limit the VRAM to 2GB? May br it worths to try?

Ok thanks. It's installing now on an external hard drive. I'll mess around with the graphics and smbios when it's done and let you know what happens. Also, I decided to use a usb 3.0 usb drive and as I suspected, I didn't have to change the usb settings like the xHCI in the bios. I guess it's a little workaround. I never thought my 4 long years in Spanish class would be useful but they are now ;)

*Edit* Okay, I finished the install, booted from the usb again, but it didn't list my new install

*Edit2* Made the install guid instead of mbr. Woops. Why does the boot loader not detect the guid ml install but it'll detect the guid w8?

Because Asus is banning non-windows GUID partitions or some {censored}. It pissed my self a lot when I discovered. That´s why you need to install MANDATORY on MBR. At list in this notebook,

Remember to delete NVDAResman.kext from the HD of the new installation or it will not boot to desktop

-----

Info about the graphics card in Asus G75VX:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-670MX.82603.0.html

Uses the GK106 nVidia core

-----

Ok, that answers that question. I installed it again on mbr and it's still not showing up on the boot loader or in the bios. Maybe because it's on an external hard drive? It's plugged in with a usb 2.0 so I went back to the bios settings from the guide and still had the same results

If the drive is 2.0 then disable xhci and enable usb legacy. That will solve it.

Unfortunately, last night my notebook died.. It stopped suddenly. and now doesn't want to start.

I will ask for an RMA urgently. I'm really pissed off. Seems that motherboard just died!

I'm happy to report a successful hackintosh install. There is an edit for your guide though NiPeGun. My built-in keyboard and mouse worked in the first boot after the install (probably because ###### installed the ps/2 kext into system/library/extensions which the installer copied to the new install). Also, the target hard drive was 1tb and used to be my windows one which may have something to do with the boot0 error I was getting after installing the "special" chameleon boot loader. So I had to boot back into the usb installer, go to disk utility, unmount my new hackintosh install, then open terminal, type "diskutil list" and find the hard drive/partition name (mine was disk1s1), and then type this in: "dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk1s1" 

Besides that, everything worked straight from the guide. Now to get wifi, bluetooth, and most importantly: graphics accel. Find anything for those? Also, when installing the battery kext, why rollback the AppleACPIPlatform kext?

Does anyone know where I can download the mac drivers for the 675mx or 680mx? They're both being used in the new imacs and may be close enough to the 670mx for it to work

Apparently the boot0 error always happens when using the chameleon boot loader for the g75. Using Clover would avoid this problem/workaround

So, no graphics acceleration too?

I think the best drivers for those graphics cards are nVidia drivers for 10.8.4 wich you can download from the nVidia web.

But, NVDAResman.kext (web) is still giving problems. Same as official.

I know for sure there´s anything with FakeSMC and NVDAResman.

Can you post how can you managed to install clover succesfully on G75VX?

Clover can recognize all 3GB VRAM out of the box?

I didn't use clover but other people did for the g75vw which is similar but has a different graphics card (which still doesnt have graphics acceleration). I have no graphics acceleration either.

After I installed the modded chameleon bootloader and booted from the new install, I got the boot0 error and according to some of the guys (using the g75vw) here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285143-installing-mountain-lion-on-asus-g75vw/       using the clover bootloader would avoid that.

Regardless, I found a way to fix the boot0 error using the modded chameleon bootloader which I put in my last post (because I've never used the clover bootloader before).

My vram is reported as the gtx 670mx like it should be, but it says that it is a 0mb card.

I tried with both iMac 13,2 and MacBookPro 10,1 and there was no graphics accel either way.

I'm currently using the MacBookPro 10,1 smbios so the battery kext will work.

Everything seems to be working properly except graphics accel, wifi, and bluetooth.

I tried the latest nvidia drivers and cuda stuff but to no avail. I'm hoping that I can find the kext for the 675mx or 680mx in the new iMacs and that they might work due to their similarities to the 670mx

Does anyone have the kexts for the 675mx or 680mx (680mx preferably)?

Let me just give a quick hint, kexts from iMacs or Macbook pros won't make any difference (already tried for my g75vw). There is some binary patching required but no one could figure them out.

To summarize : you got at the same level as us (G75vw) except that we also have bluetooth working natively. And the thread has been dead for so long i believe many dropped the hackintosh idea.

*Edit* I've been following the guide at ####### with some edits of my own since the mountain lion kexts differ slightly from the lion ones used in the guide. So far, I've gotten mac to recognize my graphics card (all 3 gb's of it) but still no graphics acceleration. I believe that's because this graphics card isn't supported by mac.

A picture of the display properties is attached.

Edit 2: Before I inject my graphics card properties into chameleon, it shows up under pci cards in the system information app. However, after I inject the graphics card properties, the system information app says no pci cards detected. 

post-920981-0-77954600-1374731295_thumb.png

It seems that I can inject whatever I want into chameleon for the graphics card and the system profiler will display whatever, but still no actual graphics acceleration :(

However, I did find the kext for the wireless card (BCM4352) and bluetooth from osxlatitude. I uploaded it here: http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4047

The wifi works like a charm but the bluetooth is still a no go. 

After some failed attempts at editing the nvidia kexts, it seems that the best route is to just put in the id's for my 670mx and not another one. Unfortunately, in order for me to get graphics accel, I need nvdaresman. So until there's an update with fakesmc it looks like there won't be any graphics acceleration