32 replies to this topic

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Hello,

I have been trying for a few days now to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 (from Disk) onto my asus 1000h, 2gb memory, (what else is helpful to know?) without success.

I think I have collected most of the extensions I need, but am having no luck with any boot installer.

I have tried netbookinstaller 0.8.5pre, netbookBootMaker 0.8.4 RC1 (Grey apple screen --> black screen --> computer shuts off), and one called myHack_Installer_1.1.mpkg (which I got from the 3rd guide below).

I've updated my BIOS to 2204.

I've been trying to follow these quides: Guide 1 Guide 2 Guide 3.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? Is there another book maker out there?
What process should I be using at this point?

Thanks in advance!

JM

marugby123

marugby123

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:All technology, computers, network security, iOS app dev, etc
A) Have you tried my guide?

B) You might have to downgrade to 1gb of RAM for the initial install until you are able to update the DSDT to accommodate for the 2gb.

http://www.insanelym...arugby-is-back/

Marugby123
InsanelyMac Netbook Moderator

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Marugby,

Thanks for the response. Forgive me, but I don't see a guide at the link you provided? (It is a discussion of your work on Lion.)

Also, I did find a DSDT for 2gb ram in a folder someone compiled for Asus1000h. Not sure if that would work.

Anyway, where can I find your guide? I'd love to try it. (If it is a guide for 1005HAB, will it work for 1000h?)

marugby123

marugby123

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 292 posts
My bad, here is the correct link: http://www.insanelym...-install-guide/

The DSDT gets put into the laptop after the installation, so you'd still probably need to install the OS with 1gb in instead of 2.

The guide should work for the most part.

Marugby123

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the guide. I think the problem may have been that I was using an OSX 10.6.3 DVD rather than the 10.6.0. I now have the 10.6.0 DVD and am attempting the install now.

I looked around and no longer have the 1GB memory stick. So, hopefully there is a way to install with 2GB.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
type maxmem=1024 at the boot prompt to limit available RAM to 1GB.

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I was actually able to install fine with the 2gb card!

Now I'm running 10.6.0 and am trying to get the wifi working. I tried to instal the "IO80211Family.kext", as well as ran the "STA_RT2860 D-1.0.0.0a UI-1.4.8.0_2007_11_26.dmg" then reboot. But still not wifi?

Any ideas?

marugby123

marugby123

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 292 posts
If you read my guide all the way through, you'd know that wifi will not work until you update to 10.6.5 or above.

Marugby123

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Yes. You did make that clear on the last page.

Marugby123,

First, thank you for all your hard work and guides!

I'm installing SL on Asus 1000h w/ 2gb ram. Using your 5 part guide for 1005HA and another guide (http://osx86.co/f36/...nstalled-t6316/) for 1000HE, I made it to a stable install of 10.6.0 without wifi. (Above issue resolved)

In my installation, the main difference from your guide was that I used Netbookinstaller, rather than myHackinstaller1.1. I followed your instructions to the letter for updating 10.6 -->10.6.4. After hitting "restart" in the update window, the computer restarted and hung at a grey screen (similar to the apple start-up grey screen, but with a hackintosh logo). I let it spin for about 15 minutes, then did a hard shut down. Now I get the error at startup "You need to restart you computer. Hold down the power button ..."

I understand that I will probably start from the beginning again, but can you tell me where I went wrong so I don't repeat?

Thanks so much for all the work you put into this!!!

Here is a photo after -v:

Here:
Attached File  photo(5).JPG   159.61KB   6 downloads

marugby123

marugby123

InsanelyMac Sage

• Local Moderators
  • 292 posts
Have you tried booting with cpus=0? Seems like the bluetooth could also be causing some problems, but I don't know for sure since my netbook (1005HAB) does not have bluetooth.

Marugby123

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Should I enter "cpus=0" at the Chameleon bootloader? (same place that I entered "-v")
Also could you explain what the terminal commands in your guide do?
"sudo -s (and then enter password)
*cd /
*mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
*cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_atom /
* mv /mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel
*chown 0:0 mach_kernel"

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
"boot: cpus=0" in the Chameleon bootloader still delivered kernel error.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts

Also could you explain what the terminal commands in your guide do?
"sudo -s (and then enter password)
*cd /
*mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
*cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_atom /
* mv /mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel
*chown 0:0 mach_kernel"

1. sudo = "Superuser Do"- elevated command prompt
2. cd is shorthand for "current directory" and / is the root directory of the current volume (on your OS volume that's where the kernel is) in other words, cd / navigates to the root directory or the current volume.
3. rename mach_kernel to mach_kernel_1062
4. copy mach_kernel_atom to root folder
5. rename it to mach_kernel
6. set appropriate ownership and group (root:wheel*) on it

I don't like this method because once you update OS X your renamed atom kernel will get replaced with the vanilla kernel.

IMO it's safer to not rename anything, set kernel=mach_kernel_atom in org.chameleon.Boot.plist and just leave mach_kernel where it is.

If you're using apps that require the kernel to be named mach_kernel (I believe some virtualization software? Don't know what else) you can just make a mach_kernel symbolic link (AKA symlink) to your atom kernel. There's a guide here that explains how to do that.

*why is it called wheel you ask. Well: http://lists.freebsd...ber/001724.html (not true but it's a good story)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
Hi, Gringo!

In fact, it's better not to use a patched kernel for atom at all, and let the bootloader do it for you. Any chameleon package which has the kernel patcher module option under customization will do the job, but it's always better to use the latest.

Best regards.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
That's cool, I didn't know that. I've only just started to use the module system to check out the new NVRAM support.

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the definitions Gringo - it helps me learn.

Now,
1) Is there anyway to fix my kenel panic and boot without starting the entire install from scratch (I had a 10.6.0 installed)?

2) @Theconnactic, are you saying that when I do the update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4, I should just use netbookinstaller without entering the terminal commands above?

Like so ...?

"4. Update 10.6.4

- download the newest NetbookInstaller from Meklort
- run the NetbookInstaller und select ONLY:
- Install Chameleon 2 NBI bootloader
- Fix bluetooth
- click the "Install" button
- replace the old sleepenabler in /Extra/GeneralExtensions/ with the new version and run "ExtraUpdate" in /Extra/
- now install the Comboupdate of Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and install it."

3) Does the shoe program "ExtraUpdate" do the same thing as "pfix"?

p.s. I have collected a large set of kexts from different sources. I'm installing SL 10.6.0 onto 1000H, then updating to 10.6.7 or 8. Can anyone give me an up-to-date list of kexts that I should be using in the end?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts

Thanks for the definitions Gringo - it helps me learn.

You're welcome.

2) @Theconnactic, are you saying that when I do the update from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4, I should just use netbookinstaller without entering the terminal commands above?

No (well kind of) he's saying that instead of depending on a renamed and patched kernel (re: the commands I explained to you) you can simply add Chameleon's kernel patcher module to /Extra/Modules. Vanilla!

whatcouldbe

whatcouldbe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thanks! A few more questions:

1) To update from 10.6.0 --> 10.6.7, do I have to go 10.6.0 --> 10.6.4 --> 10.6.7 or can I go directly from 10.6.0 --> 10.6.7?

2) Can I skip all of the above terminal commands if I use the kernel patcher module method?

3) What exactly does pfix do? And is there an alternative?

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 5,857 posts
1) I can't think of any reason not to go straight to 10.6.7 (10.6.8 is different, it's more like Lion in many ways, save it for later) but I can't say for sure, I'm not familar with your hardware.
Also, you're using a bunch of installation tools that are supposed to make it easy for you. I have never used any of them so I can't help you with anything related to them.

2) Yes that's the idea but you need to make sure that the version of Chameleon you're using supports the module system. I don't know if the version of Chameleon used by your installation packages is new enough.
If you'd like to upgrade now, my Chameleon 2.2 installation guide is up here. You need to be logged in to download.

3) As far as I can remember pfix is a script that sets the appropriate permissions + ownership on a bunch of kernel extensions and stuff. If you open it in textedit you can see for yourself what it does.

Perdu

Perdu

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I apologize if I am intruding but I have the same netbook and I have installed Snow Leopard 10.6.0 first and then are passed directly to 10.6.8 I made the pendrive with NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 above and the extra folder / extensions with in-NullCPUPowerManagement. kext - NullCPUPowerManagement.kext - AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext - ApplePS2Controller.kext.
the dsdt.aml 1gb after the first start on the extra folder on the disc.
works almost everything except the video card that remains at a resolution of 1024x600.
when it comes to version 10.6.8 combo upate after the restart but should not replace the mach_kernel with 10.6.8 Mach_kernel_atom to use Kexutility and only after reboot.

I apologize for my English but I use google traslator

Perdu

if you have solutions for your video card if you kindly ask you to have me - Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy