Games on Hackintosh

25 posts in this topic

Yes it's perfectly normal for games to run slower on OS X than on Windows, both on Hacks and real Macs.

You should first try to establish if there really is a problem with your setup or not.

Run some benchmarks, try OpenGL Extensions viewer, Unigine Heaven and other toys (search for threads by mitch_de here on IM to find more), then go look for results from other people who have the same video card as you, or something in the same ballpark. This way you can get an idea about what kind of performance you should expect.

In 10.7.5 with the latest nvidia drivers, I got around 4000 on all tests in OpenGL Extensions viewer at 1280x1024 + default settings on a GTX 460. Your scores should be a little higher, depending on resolution. Here's my Unigine score on 10.7.5 w/ the GTX 460:

Unigine 460 GTX.png

My hackintosh is unbootable at the moment due to a video card upgrade.

/Edit

And I'm back... Here are some benchmark results - 10.8.2, latest Nvidia drivers, EVGA Geforce 660 GTX 2GB:

OpenGLExtensionsviewer GTX 660.pngUnigine 660 GTX.png

• Like 3

Here is mine @1920x1080,I tried AGPM,but seems like don't effect...emmm.strange,Unigine doesn't work on my hackintosh 10.8.2,I will try it on 10.7.

Unigine Heaven on my mackintosh 10.7.5 works. here is the result on Inno3D GTX 260 GOLD

post-236960-0-36373100-1359641073_thumb.png

post-236960-0-87927700-1359642962_thumb.png

Unigine Heaven should work. Try installing the latest Mountain Lion Quadro 4000 drivers from nvidia, then boot with GraphicsEnabler=n on your 10.8.2 hack.

I've been away for a while and haven't been keeping up so I was quite surprised when I got full hardware acceleration with no video card injection at all.

Are the OpenGL Extensions Viewer scores from Mountain Lion? They look fine. Your OpenGL 1.1 score is lower because the clocks didn't have time to ramp up. To get a more accurate score for OpenGL 1.1 run the test, keep an eye on your score and then when it hits 4000, quickly press esc and restart the test.

As I said..

You have to select Quadro 4000 for Mac on nvidia's driver download page to get them.

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 1.49.34 AM.png

But yes, you found the right page.

In case you're not using a MacPro model identifier also see this...so I don't have to repeat myself:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/248510-i-dont-understand/#entry1642353

Try plugging your monitor into the other DVI port. Although the screen should not be black even if OS X thinks you're plugged in to the secondary output.

If that doesn't work then try booting with UseKernelCache=n -v (verbose mode added so you can see what's going on if it should halt again)

Try booting with npci=0x2000, also try GraphicsEnabler=y, maybe some cards still need it, I don't know.

Either way if it's a driver problem you should still be able to boot in safe mode with -x

I have to go to work in 4 1/2 hours so I'll be turning in. I'll be back again tomorrow.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 [b]GraphicsEnabler=n[/b]</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

or

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
[b]<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>[/b]
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

?

No...just leave it, there's no need to edit that every time you boot, whatever you type at the Chameleon boot prompt overrides what's in your Boot.plist.

Just start typing at the Chameleon GUI and the prompt will appear at the bottom of the screen.

Once you find something that works you can add it permanently.

Anyway;

npci=0x2000 (not 3000 like you put, that's normally used on PCs with integrated video) goes in the kernel flags string, it's a kernel flag.

Graphics Enabler is not a kernel flag, it's a Chameleon setting. Your second version up there is the correct one.

If you were using npci=0x3000 when getting the black screen, try removing it, because I can't tell you how to override it from the boot prompt - I don't know what the default value for npci is.

I was using that flag myself on 10.6.8 - 10.7.5, on Mountain Lion I don't need it.

I really have to go to sleep, good luck.

Ok, cool. So, I you're saying to leave my org.Chameleon.Boot.plist as this...

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

but boot one time with -f -v UseKernelCache=No GraphicsEnabler=n and let it black screen

but then boot again with no boot flags, and

<string>Yes</string>

still being in org.Chameleon.Boot.plist

No...I didn't mean boot one time with this and one time with that. Just giving you some boot flags you can try.

Try removing npci=0x2000 from the kernel flags string, leave it empty like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

Also try safe mode (-x), this will prevent video drivers from loading.

When does the screen go black exactly?

So do

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

then boot with -x GraphicsEnabler=n?

The screen goes black after the verbos screen.

If I don't boot verbose, the screen goes black after the first Apple screen

I don't know why it doesn't work for you, there's plenty of evidence out there that says the GTX 560 works fine in 10.8.2.

If you have an OS X installer environment that you can boot into, you can run terminal and go to /Volumes/[name of your system drive]/System/Library/Extensions and delete all NV* and Geforce* kernel extensions. Then you should be able to boot with -f UseKernelCache=n.

[edit] - forgot this very important bit:

....then go to /Library/Application Support/NVIDIA and run the NVIDIA Driver Restore.mpkg located there to reinstall the original 10.8.2 nvidia drivers.