OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Can one temporarily disable nvidia to at least get to desktop to do some fixes then re-enable it?  Would that parameter go into default.plist or set in nvram with setvar?  If it can be done with setvar, what would be the string to enable/disable?

Just a guess please correct me if I am wrong.

setvar boot-args -ascii ="-nv_disable"
setvar boot-args -ascii =

Is there a link to the different variables that can be set?

Thanks

Edited:

Ok I see this is by default in default.plist so I would change to true.  Would that be the parameter to set in nvram as well?

<key>DisableNvidaInjection</key>
<false/>

The easy way to find out is to flash back older BIOS if it works then is OZ bug in newer(and that I doubt).

The easy way to fix windows is to reinstall, the hard way is to try some days to fix it then reinstall, you chose...

Yes it works without problems with an older Ozmosis version.

Update to latest Oz for QUO and El Capitan was smooth no issues what so ever.

Also installed my East West Hollywood Orchestra with East West Player and it worked perfectly with the built in sound card.

Thanks Again!!

Finally success with Yosemite

I have two computers with this motherboard and they have been working just supergood so far. A while back I tried to upgrade one of them to Yosemite but it was a no go no matter what and how I did it so I decided to let it be. Now I have to upgrade because I need to be able to use a two programs Davinci Resolve 12 and Fusion that runs on Yosemite (and probably soon even on el capitain) so I decided to give it a go again.

The only way to make it happen (for me anyway) was to flash the bios to the latest version and after a whole bunch of strange things happening even though I did it "by the book" I finally got it to work by borrowing the Yosemite harddrive from my mac pro 3.1. This did not work before so I guess the new bios made it happen. I also needed a new up to date graphics card.

To make the newer cards work with for example mountainlion or mavericks looks to be impossible at least to me with my limited knowledge so thats another reason why I had to do the bios flash and upgrade to Yosemite. The older cards are hard to find today so that´s another reason I had to do the upgrade.

With the Nvidia webdrivers for 10.10.5 I managed to get a MSI Geforce GTX 750 TI 2 Gb working. First I thought it did not work cause I got no bootscreen or nothing the monitor stayed "offline" but I guess the new bios make things work like on a real mac where a PC card make it boot right to the desktop.

Yosemite seem to work ok but to be honest mavericks feel a little snappier but maybe that is cause of the borrowed harddrive. There seem to be a problem with appstore with this computer id cause it wont let me log in to download a fresh copy of yosemite so I guess I have to many computers registered there or something. Also the yosemite download I already had downloaded seem to be broke in some way cause just before reboot it stops and say there is something wrong with the file. 

I am sure I can fix the stuff above here if I do a little more work but I have another problem also, hopefully only cosmetic though. The case it says I have 24 gig ram in the computer when in reality I only have 16 gig installed. It even show the same inside Davinci Resolve which is kind of odd.

I am going to take the MSI card back to the store and get a Asus Geforce GTX 960 4 gb that I hope will be a better choice for Davinci Resolve. I will report back how it goes.

Edit:

I assume it should be as on a real mac with the Yosemite install just like it was with the older OS X versions, or should I do it the old hackmac way? 

What on earth are you talking about I post that it worked and that one specific videocard works and that I will get another one and give it a try and report back and you start kicking my but, thanks as lot bud. Your social skill sucks but I guess you know that already. Man comments like this pisses me off.

What on earth are you talking about I post that it worked and that one specific videocard works and that I will get another one and give it a try and report back and you start kicking my but, thanks as lot bud. Your social skill sucks but I guess you know that already. Man comments like this pisses me off.

...but I have another problem also, hopefully only cosmetic though. The case it says I have 24 gig ram in the computer when in reality I only have 16 gig installed. It even show the same inside Davinci Resolve which is kind of odd.

Its hard to just read one page back!

The one with social skills is you my friend...

Everything you posted as "bugs" can be very easy to fix if you bother to read what me or others posted, but I guess reading is not your main skill...

Exacty how do you boot to the shell in order to run the nvram vars using setvar? Hermitshell? Efi? I see a terminal icon top right and that gets me to a shell prompt but not sure if that is the shell to run the nvram setvar vars?

Exacty how do you boot to the shell in order to run the nvram vars using setvar? Hermitshell? Efi? I see a terminal icon top right and that gets me to a shell prompt but not sure if that is the shell to run the nvram setvar vars?

When you are on shell(HermitShell) type:

setvar -?

It will tell you how to do it.

• Like 1

I have the same black screen issue as Allrounder when booting Windows - also as him, reverting to previous BIOS version allowed me to boot Windows without issues.

Also as him, my Windows install is a EFI one (GPT drive), and no Bootcamp was used.

You mentioned the BDMESG, never tried to get one, but let's see if I manage - will report back.

Strange thing is with the new BIOS the WIndows 10 Installer on a USB stick can be started without issues.

This bdmesg must be the most underdocumented thing ever - tried to find a manual to make it output to my an external flash drive but I couldn't - if you can point me in the direction, I will gladly provide one from the old firmware, where Windows boots and the latest, where Windows doesn't

When you are on shell(HermitShell) type:

setvar -?

It will tell you how to do it.

setvar -? shows an example

setvar boot-args -ascii ='-kext-dev-mode=1'

Single quotes can't be used it adds that as part of the argument, however your examples do show the double quotes.

For a a contiguous string are quotes necessary, because with -v for example I was able to add that without any quotes.

setvar boot-args -ascii =-v

This bdmesg must be the most underdocumented thing ever - tried to find a manual to make it output to my an external flash drive but I couldn't - if you can point me in the direction, I will gladly provide one from the old firmware, where Windows boots and the latest, where Windows doesn't

Realy?

setvar -? shows an example

setvar boot-args -ascii ='-kext-dev-mode=1'

Single quotes can't be used it adds that as part of the argument, however your examples do show the double quotes.

For a a contiguous string are quotes necessary, because with -v for example I was able to add that without any quotes.

setvar boot-args -ascii =-v

You can blame shell developers for not allowing using " in a help description, maybe next version will have:

setvar boot-args -ascii ='here is double quotes'kext-dev-mode=1'here is double quotes'

To be more precise/n00b proof :D

• Like 2

You have to admit that unless you know that tool exists, that is not the most obvious thing to search for ;)

I was thinking it was some command line slash to output it to a drive - apparently that tool makes things even simpler. Will post the logs when I get home.

...but thanks for the reply. I am just a bit bummed that there seems to be a bug on the latest BIOS and it booting Windows, but let's see if it is possible to find a workaround after I post the logs.

I have upgraded my QUO firmware to the latest Thanksgiving version & gotten El Capitan running on it but have a few issues.  I'm using ONLY integrated graphics & having difficulty getting HDMI working.  DVI works OK but w/ HDMI, I only get up to the Apple logo & 1/2 the progress bar & system continues booting.  Just never get anything on screen other than Apple logo & progress slider.  If I plug in my DVI at this point, both monitors get a login scree an are a mirror of each other.  Sound is also not working on HDMI or motherboard audio on all the outputs green/black/headphone/etc.  :-|  I there a more modern Mac I can set this to (newer than '09) so I can get Bluetooth LE working?  I'm using an apple card so it's capable. Can someone please suggest a model & how to fix my sound & display issues?I can provide more info when needed.

There is a setting missed on BIOS transition from F3A->F2N base:

Peripherals/IGPU Fixed Memory Size/32M

Set that and you will get HDMI working.

As for HDMI audio you need to use AppleHda to get it working, it is explained in H3C.1479 release notes...