OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

We are excited to state that shipping will commence at the end of the week.

As a kickstarter backer, I' am pleased to read that even if it is the second or third announce of shipment in a few days...

But, as it seems that you receive only a partial shipment from Gigabyte, I presume that only  some backers will get their boards from this partial shipment and others will wait for the remaining boards to be shipped. So, how do you plan to choose who will be served first, and who will have to wait, and for how long?

An annonce by personal mail would be appreciated, It would show that you have a little bit of respect for your backers. :(

I know that working with big companies could be frustrating, but you should communicate with your clients.

For the moment I sent Quo 2 polite request for info, and receive no answer.

Zero. Nada. Peau de Zob.

Do you really plan to run your business with this type of relationship with your clients?

Shame...

• Like 4

I dont even know what that whole thing with kickstarter and backers and stuff is. I read this thread about a new mobo so I go to the site and buy it. It say nothing there but that they do have it in stock and you can calculate shipping and all even for international buyers!

In light of the debut of new Haswell architecture and other hardware advancement such as TB2, AC1200 Wifi, etc., I wonder if this whole scenario is even relevant any more. Ethernet is now such a small deal that I suspect most people can live without at bootup.

I have asked quite simply if I could change my shipping address to my work address since he's shipping by USPS (seriously? how cheap can you be after all the delays?). I've asked this in three emails, both to rashantha directly, and to the sales email. I've asked on facebook. I've asked via twitter. And it has been all for nothing. The statement about that shipping would take place at week's end (I'll believe it when I see it) wasn't even made on kickstarter or the website. I had to find out from a third party forum post. What kind of company did I give my money to? Shouldn't this be pretty straight forward stuff? You could probably manage 509 backers, their names, backing order, amount billed, shipping address, and any other details pretty well with just a spreadsheet. Or is tweeting about the NBA finals and keeping up with Sri Lankan politics more vital than updating the people who gave you $190K?

EDIT: Three emails, a tweet, and three facebook messages later, we have a response!

• Like 2

I had thought about one of these from the getgo....but I'm glad I didn't jump in.   Kickstarter can be a great way to raise capital and bring something to market ... but this one has taken so long that I fear the MB will be a boat anchor right OOTB.  Sad really .... a potentially great idea.  Perhaps their next board will be produced in a timely manner .... providing they survive this marketing and customer service fiasco.  I wish them very good luck ... Time will tell.

• Like 1

I think Im gonna get mine Im not worried its just that its kind of taken from the book how to not startup your business how they run things. Pretty much everybody knows an email/sign of life really could make a big difference in a case like this.

• Like 1

I had thought about one of these from the getgo....but I'm glad I didn't jump in.   Kickstarter can be a great way to raise capital and bring something to market ... but this one has taken so long that I fear the MB will be a boat anchor right OOTB.  Sad really .... a potentially great idea.  Perhaps their next board will be produced in a timely manner .... providing they survive this marketing and customer service fiasco.  I wish them very good luck ... Time will tell.

I think part of the problem will be that they do not make the boards themselves but get them from Gigabyte who will be doing all the design work as a private contract. While Gigabyte may care about their customer relationship with Quo, Gigabyte probably are not as bothered about customers of Quo as they would be about direct buyers of their own mainstream products. Plus with Haswell being here now I expect the GB engineers are busy enough anyway with other stuff and so a board using older technology may not be tremendously high on their priority list.

Anyway, I wish all luck and hope things turn out right...

• Like 2

€250 MoBo + €250 video card + € 250 processor + € 150 SSD + €100 a well cooled RAM + €100 various {censored} + €100 2TB HDD = €1200

That's a second hand Mac Pro with pretty neat specs. And at least you're sure it's fully supported and no bricking update will be released.

I mean, seriously? €250? Money making scheme, that's what this is.

€250 MoBo + €250 video card + € 250 processor + € 150 SSD + €100 a well cooled RAM + €100 various {censored} + €100 2TB HDD = €1200

That's a second hand Mac Pro with pretty neat specs. And at least you're sure it's fully supported and no bricking update will be released.

I mean, seriously? €250? Money making scheme, that's what this is.

Seems you have a "fix" with €250, you need glasses at least, is $249 not €250.

That mean 189.98 €

Plus that "second hand Mac Pro with pretty neat specs" will not have "€250 video card +  € 150 SSD  + €100 2TB HDD" so your second hand mac will grow with another €500(at least), that makes it €1700 for a second hand mac with pc card in it that you have to flash and pray to work and what else...

O/c nobody can stop you to buy what you like, and to be honest I am not interested at all, especial since you are offtopic here...

Perhaps he meant to say a "money making scam"?

She may have meant scam. Even so, her description doesn't fit the definition of a scam, unless an aspect of the product has been misrepresented for Rashantha's personal gain. If the backers never get the board or were lied to about features, then it would qualify as a scam or scheme. As it stands, you could argue for or against it being overpriced, but that's not the same thing as it being a "scam". As annoyed as I am with this project, accuracy is still important to me.
  • Like 2

I hope someone would like to have a more tecnichal conversation and thanks in advance for any helps.

I'm planning to build up a couple of machines for Digital Cinema copying/transcoding/capturing hundreds of GB of videodata everyday, I'm quite aware of what I need in terms of GPU and speciality cards (AJA Kona3G/RedRocket) but I would like to listen some opinions about CPU/RAM.

I'm not sure between:

i7 3770K + 4x8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

or

E3-1275v2 + 4x8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory

I don't think to overclock and this mobos will be on set with me so heating it's a problem and I consider the lower power consumpion of the Xeon a benefit and I think the P3000 could be enough to run one HD display (for copy/transcode) and the capturing machine will be equipped with a 680 or a Titan.

E3-1275v2 + 4x8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory

Quo motherboard do not support Xeons, so you do not have any choice with this board.

For heavy duty encoding, video or audio, rendering and long session of number crunching I would get a Xeon for the benefit of ECC ram.

• Like 1

Why do you consider that Quo doesn't support this Xeon? E3-1275v2 is a 4 core LGA 1155.

There' any other problem besides the socket that I'm not aware of?

I specifically asked that question and the answer that followed was that I3, i5 and i7 are supported...

No precision if it was meant as "Won't work" or "Could work but we won't provide support".

You're welcome to give it a try.  :)

FINALLY. It has arrived.

wait... wrong package. It is all the parts to build a replica of the Apollo Guidance Computer (http://klabs.org/history/build_agc/)

Has anyone asked about the "custom software" and UEFI capabilities that are referenced on the site? In addition, I would be curious what the warranty provides.

• Like 1

I don't know but this is getting really weird since you hear nothing from them and the numbers of mobos in stock constantly lowers and the kickstarterguys being mad cause they get no info either and nothing seem to be shipped out to anybody and all seem to be a mess. I don't know if it is so but it looks very strange from the outside.

I bought mine from their online store (thinking they actually had 200 + mobos in stock) using Paypal and I guess there´s a limit how long I can wait before I start a Dispute to get my money back. This is over a week back and so far not even a confirmation email they recived my order and the money. I even emailed them but no reply.

I don't want to start up anything and I want that mobo. I really wish them good luck I think it's a really cool thing they're doing with this mobo but it's starting to be so so strange I've never experienced anything like this before.

So what the do I do? 

So what the do I do? 

Wait.

Shipping 2-3 weeks

means shipping 2-3 weeks, simple as that.

Since you are not a ks backer, you will have to wait.

As was stated here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/quo/projectq-run-any-os-the-unique-motherboard/posts/544747 ks pledges will be shipped first, then those from site.

Stock is normal to get low since orders are made, and it cover both ks and online.

Hope is clear now.

Hi everyone

Just want to sort out a few things.

We will commence KS shipping this week and finish by Monday or Wednesday.

After that we will start shipping regular orders.

If we missed an email we are sorry. Please do email sales@quocomputer.com

We can not offer support on KS comments and on this thread, I don't think IM intended it's forums to be used in this manner.

We also have a phone number. 213.784.0060

We now have stock. But inventory is almost sold out.

Last of the bulk packs will be put on line this weekend for system builders - 10 boards per carton and there is only 500 left (50 bulk packs).

Another case of someone thinking that a KS project has a quick and fast turn around and thinks they will get the product the next week. KS project projected shipping date I always add 3 months and in most cases is right on to when I will get the product. People who are not engineers or are not in production do not understand how taking a R&D project from a test bed to mass production almost always has some issues regardless what the item is. 

To all the people who are upset just take my input for what its worth and take a deep breath and relax. You will get your boards and the day you get it you will forget all about why you were upset... 

• Like 3