OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Yes you can install El Capitan on this board (you just have to put in a few extra steps), please put on your system specs in your signature ...if you have a custom Defaults.plist file in /EFI list its contents

My guess is you are trying to upgrade from Yosemite or a previous version, is that correct ?

still get the crossed out zero sign after halfway loaded.

During install or at first boot after install ?

What the hell are you doing with Clover on a QUO board ? You don't need Clover

Yes you can install El Capitan on this board (you just have to put in a few extra steps), please put on your system specs in your signature ..

Can you tell use the few extra steps it takes to install 10.11?

I have a Quo my bios is 894M (fusion-drive) running 10.10.5 

Yes you can install El Capitan on this board (you just have to put in a few extra steps), please put on your system specs in your signature ...if you have a custom Defaults.plist file in /EFI list its contents

My guess is you are trying to upgrade from Yosemite or a previous version, is that correct ?

During install or at first boot after install ?

What the hell are you doing with Clover on a QUO board ? You don't need Clover

Ive created another partition on my SSD specifically for El Capitan so this is a clean install. My other partition has Mavericks which i'm completely happy with but would like to have El Capitan for future software compatibility ( I do a lot of video and audio work) . The crossed out zero is during the installation as I have not got past that point. Im booting from usb just like my other installations of OSX and this is the only one i'm having issues with. Believe me, I dont want to use clover. I was trying as many different configurations to get me past the loading screen for installation as possible. I also tried a couple utilities from chris 1111 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/) that failed. Thats when I tried another usb drive then a fresh download of El Capitan with no luck. I have no custom playlists or kexts . All "stock".

Here are my system specs. I will throw this in my signature

I7 3770K @ 4.6ghz (tested and stable)

Quo Motherboard With 894 Bios

32 GB of Corsair Vengence 1600Mhz RAM

2 x 1 TB 7200RPM Drives

1TB Samsung 840 EVO

Symphony 64 Thunderbridge audio adapter and Apogee Symphony (Connected through thunderbolt)

Using onboard video (HD4000)

Nothing in PCI Slots

Some USB Hubs (2.0 and 3.0)

Thank you.

The crossed out zero is during the installation as I have not got past that point.

This is a clear sign that SIP is blocking something.

Let's take it from the top

Disconnect you thunderbolt hardware for the install (just to remove that from the equation for this test)

Make sure your USB drive is HFS+ with GUID partition scheme and named "Installer"

Create your installer by following this guide ..

SKIP STEP #9

AT STEP #10 .. Reboot your QUO and press F12 to choose the boot partiton, select "OS X Base System" this should get the Installer going ...

Let me know if you get to the Installer  ...it has been so long since i have used 894M that I don't remember it's specifics

Always make sure you have a external bootable backup (CCC,Super Duper can make that for you) or emergency disk in case something goes wrong...

Disconnect you thunderbolt hardware for the install (just to remove that from the equation for this test)

Make sure your USB drive is HFS+ with GUID partition scheme and named "Installer"

SKIP STEP #9

AT STEP #10 .. Reboot your QUO and press F12 to choose the boot partiton, select "OS X Base System" this should get the Installer going ...

Let me know if you get to the Installer  ...it has been so long since i have used 894M that I don't remember it's specifics

Always make sure you have a external bootable backup (CCC,Super Duper can make that for you) or emergency disk in case something goes wrong...

Thank you for the reply! Ill try this out and see what I get.

SKIP STEP #9

Tried this method and still getting the crossed out zero halfway through loading the installer. I suspect it may be something with 894M bios. Ill eventually have to upgrade to 1479. Only thing with 1479, is that when I tried using it, I couldnt boot up mavericks . Just a spinning wheel. Ill wait till I really need to update because i'm rock solid right now. Thanks again for your help. I learned a lot from trying all these methods of installing El Capitan. 

Tried this method and still getting the crossed out zero halfway through loading the installer. I suspect it may be something with 894M bios. Ill eventually have to upgrade to 1479. Only thing with 1479, is that when I tried using it, I couldnt boot up mavericks . Just a spinning wheel. Ill wait till I really need to update because i'm rock solid right now. Thanks again for your help. I learned a lot from trying all these methods of installing El Capitan. 

Same bios 894m same problem...

Hi fellow Qs,

Been a while since I've been on here, all has been running smooth for over a year and half now...

I'm running the quo MB with 4Gb of ram, a bunch of SSDs (triple boot), core i5 3500K with intel HD4000 gfx only via HDMI to a Panasonic HDTV. I use to use 2 radeons 7750s but have removed them for other reasons, without any issues (I use this board as a htpc for general mac stuff, kodi, and sporadic steam gaming)...

With the rewrite of the OZ firmware I thought it was time I updated the latest bios and upgrade to a nice OZ GUI to select the system to load on boot. 

5 hrs later, I'm still at it...  :(

Here's what I tried:

1. 1479 from github with Ozmosis -> setup screen graphics are messed up, half are missing, cursor selection is off, cannot configure bios settings.

2. Load optimised defaults. Reboot & load setup. no change

3. Managed to load the Oz GUI (mouse input direct from MB port only working), loaded BIOS setup from there, same issue.

4. Reset NVRAM (I figured what the hell...) -> HermitCrab labs screen (hey that's new!) -> direct boot into windows (ugh winblows..)

5. reload mb bios from mb backup, try again with direct link from wiki -> same problem. 

6. loaded backup (I saved my initial 894 working bios to file thankfully), all working fine, except quartz extreme is not working anymore (stuttered window effects, no ripple effect in dashboard), probably because I reset the NVRAM...?

7. Did some googling, found out Ozmosis writes some stuff to the first GUID efi partition it finds on first boot. Since I had 2 (mavericks + mavericks install), did a cleanup so I only had my OS X system disk as GUID. Mounted the Efi partition on this one, checked the contents of Efi/Oz and Efi/Quo. Both had only 2 empty folders. Copied to a safe place and deleted them. Clean start.

8. tried the same as above with 894 from github (first commit with Ozmosis) -> same display problem as 1479.

9. reloaded the backup I dumped, back to initial config but still no Quartz Extreme

Something's not playing nice.. any ideas?

Any magic shell commands to get around (fix) this?

Or at least how to get quartz extreme running again (afaik, there was no need for gfx enabler or anything like that...)? 

Thanks

S.

(geesh the mighty tangent you spur on to get the godfather trilogy blasting in full Dolby TrueHD...  :-P  )

Its too bad that we cant get another updated bios with this board. The concept of having a motherboard work out the box with multiple OS's is a great thing! Its one of the main reasons I even considered using a hackintosh for professional use. Maybe we can get one more update for users that would like to upgrade to El Capitan but that may be wishful thinking. So far, still very happy with my QUO. Running mavericks with absolutely no issues. 

7. Did some googling, found out Ozmosis writes some stuff to the first GUID efi partition it finds on first boot. Since I had 2 (mavericks + mavericks install), did a cleanup so I only had my OS X system disk as GUID. Mounted the Efi partition on this one, checked the contents of Efi/Oz and Efi/Quo. Both had only 2 empty folders. Copied to a safe place and deleted them. Clean start.

Make sure the SSD you want to act as the one containing the EFI partition is connected to SATA 0,0 

See if you can connect to your HDTV using DVI instead of HDMI

Hi Guys.

My name is Marcos Silva and I am from Rio de Janeiro Brazil. First of all I would like to thanks everybody in the forum for the very good information shared.

I need some help with my QUO motherboard purchased in e-bay USA.

My board work very well for a couple of days with the latest bios version installed and OSX 10.10, and after a few days, some time the board do not boot immediately after power on the machine. I can say the machine boot up, powered down and boot up again (some times two to four times).

Now I can not boot any more. After power on, the board start the system fan, CPU fan, shut down, power on again, shut down and continue in this cycle indefinitely.

I had tried to recovery the bios with unsuccessful and I have no more ways to try.

So I would like to ask for some help because I know that the guys in this forum have a lot of experiences and I am sure that you can help,

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for my Brazilian english

Best Regards for all of you

Marcos Silva  :)

Hi IronManJFF

Thanks so much for your very quickly reply.

I had tried before to clear the CMOS and also changed the power supply. None of the actions made by motherboard boot again.

I have no idea whats is happening. As the problem start few time and them some times ans now all the times, can I suppose that this is capacitor related problem (some time due to capacitor degradation over the time), but I am not sure about this because this motherboard use solid capacitors.

Appreciate for additional help and again thanks

Hi IronManJFF

Thanks so much for your very quickly reply.

I had tried before to clear the CMOS and also changed the power supply. None of the actions made by motherboard boot again.

I have no idea whats is happening. As the problem start few time and them some times ans now all the times, can I suppose that this is capacitor related problem (some time due to capacitor degradation over the time), but I am not sure about this because this motherboard use solid capacitors.

Appreciate for additional help and again thanks

Marcos Silva :)

Have you tried reseating the RAM and GPU? I've had similar problems before and it turned out to just be a loose component.
  • Like 1

Hi InteliMac Pro

Thanks for your help.

I had tried with onboard video card only (removed all other cards - only the motherboard). Tried also to change the RAM (Several times by different speeds) and also with no memory inserted.

With no memory RAM the board power on, power off, power on again start bips and power off again, power one, power off, power on again start bips and power off, and continue the cycle.

Thanks again

Marcos Silva   :)

Hi InteliMac Pro

Thanks for your help.

I had tried with onboard video card only (removed all other cards - only the motherboard). Tried also to change the RAM (Several times by different speeds) and also with no memory inserted.

With no memory RAM the board power on, power off, power on again start bips and power off again, power one, power off, power on again start bips and power off, and continue the cycle.

Thanks again

Marcos Silva :)

Hi Marco,

Try to start your computer on the backup bios ... Keep power button down for about 10 sec... It should erase the bad bios .. You'll need a usb stick with the bios file on it after

• Like 1

Hi ALberto21

Thanks for your reply. 

Had tried to recover the bios also unsuccessful . Power button switch down for 10 seconds while switched on the power supply. Tried this process several times .

I remember that some time ago I had read a post (about Gyga Motherboard), about another way to bios recover but I can not find the post . I remember something like a short circuit btween two main bios pins while power on the motherboard. Anyway, I can not find this post, I am not sure about the correct process and no idea if this procedure will help in this specific motherboard.

Thanks again for your help

Regards Marcos Silva  :)

I remember that some time ago I had read a post (about Gyga Motherboard), about another way to bios recover but I can not find the post . I remember something like a short circuit btween two main bios pins while power on the motherboard. Anyway, I can not find this post, I am not sure about the correct process and no idea if this procedure will help in this specific motherboard.

Pins 1 and 6 on the main bios chip. Pin 1 is marked with an arrow, the rest of the numbering goes clockwise around the chip (pin 8 is across from pin 1). This is possibly the page you're referring to.

I had to restore the backup bios on my quo-aos last night actually, which is how I came across this post. What you'll want to do is seat a stick of RAM in the slot nearest the CPU, Press the power button to turn on, release and immediate press and hold the power button until the computer shuts down. Press the power button again to start, the bios restoration process should start. This is Method 1 on the page I linked above.

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that this board uses an AMI UEFI BIOS like gigabyte boards do?  If I am, you want a speaker connected directly to the PC SPK motherboard header (pins 1 and 4)

Then switch the PC on and listen to the speaker.  I'm guessing that you're going to get rapid beeps and then it will switch off and repeat.

If so, you have a bad ram stick.

Take all bar 1 stick of RAM out and try again.  If that doesn't work, swap the stick for a different one.

Hi Kynyo

Thanks for your reply. Tried the procedure unsuccessful. I am continuing looking for problem solving.

Thanks in advance for any additional help

1. Shut your PC down 2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, then release. 3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

Hi It's Phobos!

Thanks so much for your information and help.

I am traveling this weekend and can not test your instruction right now. I will do the suggested tests next Monday and will post the results.

Thanks again for your valuable help,

Regards Marcos Silva  :)

Pins 1 and 6 on the main bios chip. Pin 1 is marked with an arrow, the rest of the numbering goes clockwise around the chip (pin 8 is across from pin 1). This is possibly the page you're referring to.

I had to restore the backup bios on my quo-aos last night actually, which is how I came across this post. What you'll want to do is seat a stick of RAM in the slot nearest the CPU, Press the power button to turn on, release and immediate press and hold the power button until the computer shuts down. Press the power button again to start, the bios restoration process should start. This is Method 1 on the page I linked above.

I tried to patch prelinked method but that did not work out .. 99.99% sure it is because my prelinked ends up with Nvidia Web drivers in it.

The way i was able to get it to install is this:

1) make sure you have FakeSMC.kext somewhere else than the startup drive for installation

2) when you decide to install OS X El Cap it creates a Install OS X Data folder on the target drive

3) inside that folder there is a com.apple.boot.plist file

4) Edit and add "-s nv_disable=1 " to the <Kernel Flags> if your GPU is not supported out-of-the-box else "-s " is sufficient 

Let the installer proceed with the install ..

It will reboot and stop in single-user mode

Mount the partition that contains FakeSMC.kext

#/sbin/mount -t hfs /dev/disk_s_ /tmp

#cd /tmp/directory_to_FakeSMC.kext

#kextload FakeSMC.kext (FakeSMC must be owned by root, if not fix it)

#exit

Voilà

This trick also works to get El Cap Recovery Partition working too

Each time I've used this, the install has erased whichever partition I had mounted on /tmp. I think it might be an idea to either umount /tmp before exit, or use another mount point. Maybe the install has already allocated a temporary disk to /tmp and the mount command overrides it.

Other than that it works fine. You can just press Cmd+S when the restart occurs to get into single user mode instead of patching com.apple.boot.plist.