OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Christ, these must come up for sale once a decade... So frustrating that there isn't a reliable source for this after so much time...

g\

Don't know if this is any use but I've found a cheap supplier of motherboard 1394B FireWire headers over at TaoBao - http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=35208031613

xWrWSFz.jpg

pthCv4D.jpg

glL0puu.jpg

You will probably need to go through a TaoBao agent to order(assuming these are compatible) ...

• Like 2

I have a gtx 970 and it works like a charm with last nvidia web driver and Yosemite.

Would you mind posting your full system specs in your signature ?

Is your GTX 970 replacing a Nvidia card you already had ?

Anything special about the install procedure ? 

Thanks

Hey my EVGA GT 640 stopped working in Yosemite, I get a no signal to monitor.  It also does not work on Giagbyte Z68X but it does work on the Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH?   Isn't the QUO chipset very similar to the Z77X?

I also tried the web driver no luck.  Does anyone have the EVGA GT 740 running on this  board with Yosemite 10.10.2 with the Native Apple Driver not Web driver?

My EVGA 760 and 770 are both running fine.  I have no idea what happened to the GT 640 support with Apple?

Thanks

So don't know if this has been mentioned here, but now that Apple has enabled two step verification on iMessage and FaceTime, it allowed me to log in without the contact Apple error. We'll see if it continues without issue, but I thought it was interesting. I'm still running on "stock" Oz values of Mac Pro 3,1 and generated serial and whatnot. Anybody else notice this?

• Like 1

If the GFX card is supported by the OS, it should work.

Just want to be sure we do not misinterpret here ...

Does it really matter if the driver is provided by Apple or Nvidia (I have my finger hovering over that <Order Now> button)  ?

For reference : Modify Nvidia drivers package so it installs on non-supported SysDef 

Does it really matter if the driver is provided by Apple or Nvidia (I have my finger hovering over that button)  ?

For reference : Modify Nvidia drivers package so it installs on non-supported SysDef 

Yosemite comes with its own driver, so if a card work with it surely is a supported cards. NVidia is a partner but this does not mean that newer cards becomes fully compatible: in fact they have a limitation in their package for certain and tested products... Anyway this can be really enough but your card must be among the supported products.

For me vanilla cards are those that only work with vanilla drivers.

GTX 970 is supported by Nvidia driver but Yosemite has no driver for it, This is why  i am asking if it matters if the drivers come from Apple or Nvidia as it relates to H3C.1479 on QUO boards. i know that there have been success stories for other Hackintosh but none so far on a QUO board

Ok I figured out the problem with the GT 640 no signal to monitor (black Screen).  Google search will show others with same issue.  What fixed the issue was changing the iMac to 13,2 in smbios on my Gibabyte Z77X non Quo board, Gigabyte Z68X and older Gigabyte C2D EP45 changing that ti MacPro3,1.  Now I need to figure out how to change this on the Quo to iMac13,2.  Would that be a Nvram setting and if so does anyone have the procedure (script)?

Thanks

Edited:

Did a search on this thread found this to change System Profile, which worked fine and GT 640 now boots to desktop.  With MacPro3,1 it would not but the GTX 760 would boot to desktop with MacPro3,1.  Weird sin't it?

@IronManJFF,

I created a Smbios using Clover Configurator then renamed it Defaults.plist and placed it in EFI/EFI/Oz and that didn't do anything?  Maybe Nvram took precedence over it no?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/?p=2061513

Does it really matter if the driver is provided by Apple or Nvidia (I have my finger hovering over that <Order Now> button)  ?

For reference : Modify Nvidia drivers package so it installs on non-supported SysDef 

I wont advise you to buy a card that is not supported OOTB by Apple drivers.

@IronManJFF,

I created a Smbios using Clover Configurator then renamed it Defaults.plist and placed it in EFI/EFI/Oz and that didn't do anything?  Maybe Nvram took precedence over it no?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/?p=2061513

I am unsure if Clover Configurator will generate a plist compatible with Ozmosis ...in any case ... 

Your Defaults.plist will not override variables already defined in NVRAM.

Here is my Defaults.plist that defines my QUO board as iMac 13,2 if you want to use it as a guide ...

You can validate your plist with plutil command

You can confirm that Ozmosis found you Defaults.plist file by looking at the firmware log using DarwinDumper you will see a line with Defaults found (after memory and GPU detection)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>
        <key>ProductId</key>
        <string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
        <key>ProductFamily</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iMac13,2</string>
        <key>SystemSerial</key>
        <string>Insert Yours Here</string>
        <key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
        <string>Insert Yours Here</string>
</dict>
</plist>

• Like 1

Thanks I will give that a try.  I actually used Chameleon Wizard to create the smbios.plist and renamed it.  As for the nvram command I used Clover Configurator to get the values.  I actually have real values from imac's from the apple stores demos.  I am still compiling them!!

For clearing the Cmos you would choose optimized default then save?

What is the command to clear the Nvram?

Thanks

You remove the battery from motherboard for a few seconds or use the clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard  to clear it, nvram the four finger salute Option + Command + p + r keys (Windows and ALT for that keyboard type I think) held at the same time just like real mac.

I don't know of this has anything to do with OS X or the Quo motherboard PCI sharing?  OS X reported the GTX 650 as 8x PCI lane width in System Profiler which could have been cosmetic not sure?  I did tests which did not change when it read 16x.  I had to remove my PCI wifi card boot without it then boot back in with the Wifi card installed again for system profiler to register is as 16x for the GTX 650.

Does the PCIe 1x slot share some resources with the 16x slot or 8x slot and can one change sharing in the Bios?

Thanks

I am happy to report that GTX 970 (MSI Gaming) works with 10.10.2 with Nividia web drivers with the following notice :

HW Monitor does not detect it and will not report GPU temp or fan speed

Watchdog service respawns all the time .. I am unsure ifthis is related to the new card .. the maessage might have been there all along since Yosemite and i just noticed it. Did some research and seems to be related to FakeSMC

Feb 23 08:47:42 PowerHack-i5.local watchdogd[667]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(    wd_watchdog_open) - IOIteratorNext failed (kr=0)
Feb 23 08:47:42 PowerHack-i5.local watchdogd[667]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(      wd_daemon_init) - could not initialize the hardware watchdog
Feb 23 08:47:42 PowerHack-i5.local watchdogd[667]:  [watchdog_daemon] @(                main) - cannot initialize the watchdog service
Feb 23 08:47:42 PowerHack-i5 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.watchdogd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds
Edited by IronManJFF

Does the PCIe 1x slot share some resources with the 16x slot or 8x slot and can one change sharing in the Bios?

If Slot 4 is occupied/used Slot 1 will operate @ x8 speed, is specified in manual.

PCIe x1 slots does not share any resources with the x16 PEG slots(impossible by design)

• Like 1