OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I was successfully using the S/PDIF as sound output with Mavericks 10.9.2 and bios 828 then yesterday I installed bios 1479 and a fresh Yosemite 10.10 from scratch.

S/PDIF in still available as sound output option but it doesn't work any more.

Any ideas or experience with this issue?

• Like 1

I was successfully using the S/PDIF as sound output with Mavericks 10.9.2 and bios 828 then yesterday I installed bios 1479 and a fresh Yosemite 10.10 from scratch.

S/PDIF in still available as sound output option but it doesn't work any more.

Any ideas or experience with this issue?

When I reflashed the BIOS a second time it worked for me.

I've edited the list. But when I run nvram -p in the terminal it doesn't show up. Any ideas? I can upload a picture of the nvram -p results but I don't know if there is any sensitive data in the list. 

That is a configuration file whose contents gets read on boot and used it has nothing to do with nvram, if your unsigned .kext are loading it works.

I think god hates me.. I often get this window when I start up, any advice? Screen_Shot_2014_10_27_at_12_08_04.png

Redtigerxx - This is the exact message I get after a failed shutdown, which is every shutdown.  I see you also have a Geforce GTX 650 Ti.  BALDYMAN suggested turning off integrated graphics in the BIOS, and running Repair Permissions.  It didn't work for me, but maybe you'll have better luck.  Incidentally, do you have any problems signing into iMessages?

Redtigerxx - This is the exact message I get after a failed shutdown, which is every shutdown.  I see you also have a Geforce GTX 650 Ti.  BALDYMAN suggested turning off integrated graphics in the BIOS, and running Repair Permissions.  It didn't work for me, but maybe you'll have better luck.  Incidentally, do you have any problems signing into iMessages?

It started when I edited the com.apple.boot.plist. Maybe it has something to do with that? Last time when I edited the bios graphics settings I needed to remove the battery from the motherboard. So I don't think I will try that again. And if this is the only problem that I will encounter I can live with that. 

@toastie Do you use the HDMI (mini) port on the GTX 650 Ti? Just booted without the HDMI connected and no more errorlogs :) 

It started when I edited the com.apple.boot.plist. Maybe it has something to do with that? Last time when I edited the bios graphics settings I needed to remove the battery from the motherboard. So I don't think I will try that again. And if this is the only problem that I will encounter I can live with that. 

@toastie Do you use the HDMI (mini) port on the GTX 650 Ti? Just booted without the HDMI connected and no more errorlogs :)

@Redtigerxx - I am using the DVI-D port.  I won't be able to look at this for a couple days, so if you discover something else, let me know.

I'm getting a MSI GTX 760 2GB tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. 

Ok, I did get a chance to work on it.  I removed the card and used integrated video for awhile.  That was fine.  While troubleshooting the iMessage problems, I updated my nvram settings so the system now appears to be an iMac 13.2 as I think that is the closest match to the hardware I have.  After putting the card back in, shutdown worked correctly the first time, then went back to kernel panic on shutdown after that.  I also looked at the nVidia driver site.  They have drivers for 10.8.5 and Mavericks, but not Yosemite.  If you've got ideas, I'd be happy to try them out.

disabel  cpu graphics  and try that . set to mac 1.3 

Integrated graphics is already disabled.  I didn't have much time to work yesterday, so didn't try much.  System was asleep, and woke in about a second, so I suspect it is not going to complete hibernate.  However, I launched a few programs, then quit them and shut down without problem.  I then started again, launched a few more programs, exited those, and again shut down again without issue.  So, whatever is going on is intermittent, and at least seems to be fixed at the moment.  

So I got it to work. The GTX 760 is now running an 4K monitor at 60HZ. Two problems arise. The GTX 760 with de Nvidia web driver is running the fans 100% all the time. And for some reason the bootorder I choose in the Bios isn't working on boot. Any thoughts on that?  

Hi. I was one of the lucky ones that got my board early, and I've been running it as my primary machine for months now. I recently upgraded the OS to Yosemite for, amongst other things, the ability to use AirDrop, but I've had no luck with that.

Today MacRumors had an article on it, http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/29/how-to-share-files-mac-ios-airdrop/ and I noticed that Apple requires a Mac that is 2012 or newer to support AirDrop. In the About This Mac panel my AOS identifies itself as a Mac Pro (Early2008) which is probably why it doesn't work.

Can this safely be changed?

i just used airdrop from my quo hack to my mac book air . id is Mac Pro 3.1 on quo motherboard

Computer-to-computer is not the problem: computer-to-iPhone is the problem. That's one of the marquee features of the iOS 8 / Yosemite combinations. Previously AirDrop was confined to computer-to-computer OR iPhone-to-iPhone. Now you're supposed to be able  to do computer-to-iPhone and I was really looking forward to it because I'm tired of having to email single images to myself just to get them off the phone and onto the computer without having to do a full USB sync.

Computer-to-computer works.

Computer-to-iPhone doesn't.

I've got the same Mac 3,1 ID and motherboard, I'm running OS 10.10, and my iPhone 5 has iOS 8.1. The USB dongle has a Broadcom 20702A3 chip, firmware v14 c4096.

Hmm.

This is what the System Report shows:

Services:
  Bluetooth File Transfer:
    When receiving items:	Accept all without warning
    State:	Disabled
  Bluetooth File Exchange:
    When other items are accepted:	Save to location
    When receiving items:	Accept all without warning
    State:	Disabled

Is the `State: Disabled` normal? What does yours show?

I've got Bluetooth turned on, and I'm using a bluetooth trackpad with it, so I know it's working, and all advanced options are turned on in the SysPrefs Bluetooth pane. Do you have an iPhone? Can you test whether it works with your rig?

I took the iPhone to a Mac store to test it, and AirDrop works.

The AOS hardware is new enough for this to work also, so it must be software - the Mac Pro 3,1 is considered Early 2008 and so will not work.

Has anyone used a newer device ID succesfully? And if so, which one and how?

Thanks.

@valiant - Which brand/model bluetooth are you using?  Based on a few things I read, the IOGear GBU521 is supposed to be compatible, but I can't get it to work with anything.  I get a similar message from System Report:  

Services:

Bluetooth File Transfer:

When receiving items: Accept all without warning

State: Disabled

Bluetooth File Exchange:

When other items are accepted: Save to location

Bluetooth Internet Sharing:

It will attempt to pair with my iPhone 5, and the verification code displays, but after that it won't connect.  

home made blue tooth specs hope this helps

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.3.0f10 14890

Hardware, Features, and Settings:

Name: Graham’s Mac Pro

Address: 00-17-F2-AB-36-59

Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: No

Handoff Supported: No

Instant Hotspot Supported: No

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio

Transport: USB

Firmware Version: 1965

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Off

Connectable: No

Auto Seek Pointing: On

Remote wake: On

Vendor ID: 0x05AC

Product ID: 0x8205

HCI Version: 0x3

HCI Revision: 0x7AD

LMP Version: 0x3

LMP Subversion: 0x7AD

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Mac Desktop

Composite Class Of Device: 0x380104

Device Class (Major): 0x01

Device Class (Minor): 0x01

Service Class: 0x1C0

Auto Seek Keyboard: On

Services:

Bluetooth File Transfer:

Bluetooth File Exchange:

When other items are accepted: Save to location

Bluetooth Internet Sharing:

Incoming Serial Ports:

Bluetooth-Incoming-Port:

RFCOMM Channel: 3

Requires Authentication: No

Outgoing Serial Ports:

Bluetooth-Modem:

Address:

RFCOMM Channel: 0

Requires Authentication: No

Ok, I did get a chance to work on it.  I removed the card and used integrated video for awhile.  That was fine.  While troubleshooting the iMessage problems, I updated my nvram settings so the system now appears to be an iMac 13.2 as I think that is the closest match to the hardware I have.  After putting the card back in, shutdown worked correctly the first time, then went back to kernel panic on shutdown after that.  I also looked at the nVidia driver site.  They have drivers for 10.8.5 and Mavericks, but not Yosemite.  If you've got ideas, I'd be happy to try them out.

Toastie and others:  

I dove in and just got this quo motherboard setup.  1479 bios.  Vanilla 10.10 install.   Also with 650 Ti graphics card (with HDMI cable).

I was getting the same panic report on nearly every shutdown, just like you and Redtigerxx.

I was able to find the following drivers on the Nvidia website for Yosemite:

- Cuda driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.5.18-driver.html

- GeForce for Mac: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

Installed both, then in the "NVIDIA Driver Manager" control panel in System Preferences, selected "NVIDIA Web Driver".

Reboot, and no more panic messages!  (for now)

Any of you using Trim Enabler by Cindori?

If so, any issues?

I know there is that kext security disable thing with Yosemite, but I figure it doesn't really matter to us.

Thanks.

Toastie and others:  

I dove in and just got this quo motherboard setup.  1479 bios.  Vanilla 10.10 install.   Also with 650 Ti graphics card (with HDMI cable).

I was getting the same panic report on nearly every shutdown, just like you and Redtigerxx.

I was able to find the following drivers on the Nvidia website for Yosemite:

- Cuda driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.5.18-driver.html

- GeForce for Mac: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/78853/en-us

Installed both, then in the "NVIDIA Driver Manager" control panel in System Preferences, selected "NVIDIA Web Driver".

Reboot, and no more panic messages!  (for now)

Any of you using Trim Enabler by Cindori?

If so, any issues?

I know there is that kext security disable thing with Yosemite, but I figure it doesn't really matter to us.

Thanks.

If you are going to use custom kext files you need to run kext-dev-mode=1 in you NVRAM. You can do that by typing: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1" into the terminal. If you don't do that first, the system will not boot.