• Please log in to reply
1689 replies to this topic

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 755 posts

"OS X compatible" doesn't actually means "works OOB"  :P

You are wrong, it does work OOB(if you ignore the BIOS update...).

Hello everyone! I've been following this thread and finally got my build running except I can't get my ethernet, thunderbolt to work. From what I've read they should work right out of the box. I'm running 894M bios version and tried to follow the wiki for vanilla install.

Is there anything I need to change to get Gigabit ethernet working? The thing is ethernet is actually 'enabled' but for some reason it doesn't work. Same thing with thunderbolt.  I only plan to use the thunderbolt for storage raid devices.

I would appreciate any help. thanks!

My system:

Z77mx-quo-aos

3770K i7 intel cpu

Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM

Samsung EVO 250GB ssd

Corsair HX750 PSU

As a newcomer at first you need to respect the "house rules", add to your signature your specs and more important your BIOS version, if you want to get a reply quick...

LAN should work unless is defective or you have other board.

Anyway, as a good friend of mine say, without dumps we can't know what is going on there...

So, I will save your topic reading time, here is what you have to do:

From F12 menu select UEFI: Built-In EDK Shell

Once there type bdmesg -b then press Enter

Note first line when it say Ozmosis version.

Scroll till you see Found Intel LAN Controller if on [] is not [8086:10F6] then you have a problem.

skwakk

skwakk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

This works out of the box. You must have something else wrong. The device is 0x10f6 (Intel is 0x8086). It is supported by Intel82574L.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext

Go to About This Mac and look to see if its shown under Ethernet Cards as Intel 82574L. If not its probably a BIOS issue. Try reset to defaults or reburn the BIOS.

Yeah..that's what I thought too that it might be a bios problem. by reburning the bios do you mean reflashing? because i tried reflashing 894M down to 828M then back again with no luck. I also tried OS X 10.8 instead of Mavericks..but still the same. I plugged in my Windows partition and it works..so it can't be the board itself.

You are wrong, it does work OOB(if you ignore the BIOS update...).

As a newcomer at first you need to respect the "house rules", add to your signature your specs and more important your BIOS version, if you want to get a reply quick...

LAN should work unless is defective or you have other board.

Anyway, as a good friend of mine say, without dumps we can't know what is going on there...

So, I will save your topic reading time, here is what you have to do:

From F12 menu select UEFI: Built-In EDK Shell

Once there type bdmesg -b then press Enter

Note first line when it say Ozmosis version.

Scroll till you see Found Intel LAN Controller if on [] is not [8086:10F6] then you have a problem.

Thanks King! I'm using Ozmosis H3B.894M...also the dump does say 'Found Intel Lan Controller [8086:10F6]..

I don't think its defective because I plugged in my windows partition and it just worked.  I tried reflashing the bios to 828M also with same results.  Any ideas what could be wrong?

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 755 posts

... I plugged in my Windows partition and it works..so it can't be the board itself.

I don't think its defective because I plugged in my windows partition and it just worked.  I tried reflashing the bios to 828M also with same results.  Any ideas what could be wrong?

If works on windows then can be:

- your internet settings(how is setup on windows, what kind of internet connection you have, is it PPOE, does require you to use user/password?)

- your router(are you using one?)

- broken OS drivers by user mistake

skwakk

skwakk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

If works on windows then can be:

- your internet settings(how is setup on windows, what kind of internet connection you have, is it PPOE, does require you to use user/password?)

- your router(are you using one?)

- broken OS drivers by user mistake

The thing is in OS X..I can't even setup the internet because the ethernet is not recognized. Under system profiler>Ethernet Cards..it says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed."  Also when you go to System Preferences>Network..There's no ethernet either..only Firewire.

I tried flashing different bios versions (894M, 828M, 820M). I reset CMOS. I tried Mountain Lion and Mavericks..but same result.  I even tried using different USB flash drives on different usb ports for the flashing and installing.

screen01.png

screen02.png

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 755 posts

The thing is in OS X..I can't even setup the internet because the ethernet is not recognized. Under system profiler>Ethernet Cards..it says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI Ethernet cards installed."  Also when you go to System Preferences>Network..There's no ethernet either..only Firewire.

Use http://www.insanelym...4-darwindumper/ , make full dump and upload the zip.

skwakk

skwakk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Use http://www.insanelym...4-darwindumper/ , make full dump and upload the zip.

PMd you the zip..thank you!

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

The most compatible with your CPU(IvyBridge) is iMac13,x, x depends if you are using discrete GFX card or just integrated grapfics, for SandyBridge CPU will be iMac12,x.

MacPro3,1 was used to ensure backward support with Snow Leopard, i.e if you try to boot Apple original 10.6.3 DVD you will have the surprise that your "iMac" is not supported...

You can use same Audio fix package(select 10.9) plus the boot flag, backup the audio driver just in case...

After reading this post I decided to change my system to the iMac13,2 and give it a try.  I knew from previous reading that it was the better option, but resisted because I didn't want to be identified on my network as an iMac, which by the way was an easy fix after doing some research.  So after changing to iMac13,2 I noticed my GeekBench score jumped from 13200 or so to 14800, then they dropped to 13800 or so for no apparent reason.  I played around with a lot of things trying to figure out what caused the 1000 point drop.  After chasing my tail for a while I gave up.  Then a couple of days later, the 14800 score came back when I ran GeekBench.  So I started the tail chasing again.  It turns out that after my computer goes to sleep, for how long does not matter, my scores jump up the 1000 points.  Strange.  Just thought I'd share.

Also in fooling around with changing the SMBios a couple of questions were raised.  First, is speed stepping working OOTB for those of us using IvyBridge CPU's?  It would appear that to check I need to run a custom kext but with Ozmosis running these kexts and then removing them does not seems as straight forward as using Chameleon or Clover.  In all actuality it probably is just as straight forward, but doesn't seem to be because it is not as well documented in the hackintosh forums.  The Ozmosis page on this site seems to focus more on modding/building your custom Ozmosis BIOS from the ground up, not tweaking the original HermitCrabLabs version.  I would hate to tinker and "F" anything up.

The main question for me though would be, is speed stepping working OOTB for IvyBridge or do I need to figure out how to load an SSDT for my 3770K?

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 755 posts

PMd you the zip..thank you!

Found the error:

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::start - NVM Checksum incorrect

Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::validateEEPROM - EEPROM checksum is incorrect
Jun 11 23:39:03 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: 0x1fad9eef, 0x00000000  Intel82574L::start - failed to validate EEPROM

Did you tried to play with LAN eeprom(flash/update)?

You need to fix LAN eeprom checksum, if you don't know how, I will try to put an easy way for you to do it, let me know...

skwakk

skwakk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Found the error:

Did you tried to play with LAN eeprom(flash/update)?

You need to fix LAN eeprom checksum, if you don't know how, I will try to put an easy way for you to do it, let me know...

Didn't really do anything other than download the ozmosis  bios and flash the board. So don't really know who to fix that :(

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 755 posts

OK, I see you have windows so here is what you need to do:

1. Create bootable FAT32 DOS USB stick with http://rufus.akeo.ie/

2. Copy all files from attached zip on the stick

3. Make sure in BIOS Legacy boot is enabled!

4. Boot from USB stick(legacy not UEFI).

Once on DOS prompt type:

eeupdate /nic=1 /d lan.eep

This will write new LAN eeprom without changing existing MAC address, if you want to be pir8:

eeupdate /nic=1 /d lan.eep /MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX

Where XXXXXXXXXXXX will be your new MAC address at your choice ;)

After this type celo then enter

If it pass all tests then you are good to go on OS X for test.

Have fun!

Attached File  QLAN.zip   874.15KB   24 downloads

skwakk

skwakk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Once on DOS prompt type:

This will write new LAN eeprom without changing existing MAC address, if you want to be pir8:

Have fun!

attachicon.gifQLAN.zip

Thanks King! I will try it out and let you know!

skwakk

skwakk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Once on DOS prompt type:

Have fun!

attachicon.gifQLAN.zip

It Works!!! You're effing awesome King! :thumbsup_anim:  Thanks a lot..really really appreciate it  :D

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

After reading this post I decided to change my system to the iMac13,2 and give it a try. I knew from previous reading that it was the better option, but resisted because I didn't want to be identified on my network as an iMac, which by the way was an easy fix after doing some research. So after changing to iMac13,2 I noticed my GeekBench score jumped from 13200 or so to 14800, then they dropped to 13800 or so for no apparent reason. I played around with a lot of things trying to figure out what caused the 1000 point drop. After chasing my tail for a while I gave up. Then a couple of days later, the 14800 score came back when I ran GeekBench. So I started the tail chasing again. It turns out that after my computer goes to sleep, for how long does not matter, my scores jump up the 1000 points. Strange. Just thought I'd share.

Also in fooling around with changing the SMBios a couple of questions were raised. First, is speed stepping working OOTB for those of us using IvyBridge CPU's? It would appear that to check I need to run a custom kext but with Ozmosis running these kexts and then removing them does not seems as straight forward as using Chameleon or Clover. In all actuality it probably is just as straight forward, but doesn't seem to be because it is not as well documented in the hackintosh forums. The Ozmosis page on this site seems to focus more on modding/building your custom Ozmosis BIOS from the ground up, not tweaking the original HermitCrabLabs version. I would hate to tinker and "F" anything up.

The main question for me though would be, is speed stepping working OOTB for IvyBridge or do I need to figure out how to load an SSDT for my 3770K?

I know this is a little off topic, but I don't use the iMac identifier for the same reason. I hate it showing the iMac icon on the network. How did you change it?

Regarding the kexts, you can just chmod 755 and then kextload them manually if you just need to experiment with them temporarily.

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

I know this is a little off topic, but I don't use the iMac identifier for the same reason. I hate it showing the iMac icon on the network. How did you change it?

Regarding the kexts, you can just chmod 755 and then kextload them manually if you just need to experiment with them temporarily.

To change the info, all you need to do is follow the directions from this post:  Editing ‘About This Mac’ | Skyline OSX

It was much easier than I expected it to be, otherwise I would have done it a long time ago.

jamiethemorris

jamiethemorris

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

To change the info, all you need to do is follow the directions from this post: Editing ‘About This Mac’ | Skyline OSX

It was much easier than I expected it to be, otherwise I would have done it a long time ago.

Oh I see, I thought that only changed it locally. So when you change it, it reports it that way to other computers on the network as well?

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Oh I see, I thought that only changed it locally. So when you change it, it reports it that way to other computers on the network as well?

Well on other local Mac's it does change the text from iMac to whatever you change the text to, which I guess can also be changed in the sharing preferences.   In the finder the little icon in the sidebar does remain an iMac.  I really hadn't looked that closely at it until now. 

InteliMac Pro

InteliMac Pro

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

So last night I tried a genericusbxhci.kext (latest one available from what I could tell, version 1.2.7) to try to get my iPads to charge from usb 3, and my computer started behaving pretty odd. Then we had a power outage and afterwords I had all kinds of boot issues, mainly that absolutely nothing would happen. I'd get a blank screen from restart or cold start, and I could barely get into bios settings and could only boot by hitting f12 as soon as the lights on my keyboard came on. I seem to have gotten everything running again by reflashing the bios. My question is that when I reflashed the bios it completely erased all my nvram settings, correct? I'm back to Mac Pro 3,1, so I'm assuming that yes, obviously, this is the case (which I expected before I did it). The weird thing is that I'm having no trouble booting up even with a modified AppleHDA kext and a FakeSMC kext installed, although neither of them seem to be loading, even though the kext-dev-mode=1 boot arg should be removed. Is it just not necessary to boot anymore in DP2, even though the system doesn't appear to load the kexts without it? I realize the second half of this may be more suited for the yosemite dp's thread.

Also, I'm not sure if it's Yosemite or the remnants of that usb kext, but I'm having some shutdown/restart issues. Shutdown restarts, and restart works sometimes and other times I have to hit the reset button and I get a message that I shut down OS X because of a problem and do I want to start all the programs I previously had open yada yada yada. So it's crashing sometimes when it tries to restart.

InteliMac Pro

InteliMac Pro

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Ended up reinstalling DP1 and Update 1 over my install to try and fix everything and it seems to have worked. Got everything up and running again, and for {censored} and giggles I tried Mac Pro 6,1 smbios without removing AppleTyMCEDriver.kext and lo and behold it booted (after a few tries), however only one monitor is working atm. I read somewhere you should also remove AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext when using a Mac Pro smbios. Could that be the problem?

Nubira

Nubira

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

I thought this motherboard ( I have two of them) in combination with the 3770k cpu would be a pretty cool and fast desktop that could handle high load. It probably is depending on what you use it for but I realized today that my old asus p6t-se with an i7 930 cpu works better for realtime video processing which came as a total surprise.

I have a gigabyte 2 gig gtx 660 for the quo mobo and an old amd 5750 for the asus mobo. Im on 828m on the quo mobo.

I realized this when I was doing some tests broadcasting a live feed to the internet using my black magic atem tvs hooked up to my ultra studio minirecorder. Software i use is the switcher software for the atem tvs run through camtwist for additional cams video clips and effects, pixelconduit to touch up the color a little on my two black magic pocket cinema cameras pale output and fmle for the encoding.

I cannot see any reason why the old asus rig works more stable than the quo rig. The asus rig I run on 10.8.5 and on the quo I run mavericks.

I know some people here use the quo mobos for color grading so the question is how do you think it performs? Did you expect more is it a little shaky or does it run ok for you?

It is kind of strange that older gear with a pretty cheap video card on top of that outperforms this mobo. Maby its time to take the jump and get that mac pro instead hmm. Sure there is a video chip  in the 3770k cpu but with this mobo but I only use the gtx 660 card so that should work pretty much the same as the asus setup with the 930 that do not have that.

Pixelconduit can as I understand run on a single videocard system or a double so the only thing I can come to think of is that maby I get somekind of conflict with pixelconduit trying to make use of the onboard graphics in the cpu. 

Maby something to consider if you get a chance to get one of these and plan to use them the same as I do. Thunderbolt works but normally you have to do a reboot right away for the os to see the port. I have not tried to use both tb ports the same time cause I have only one mini recorder. I have intensity pro pcie capture card in it too so I dont need one.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 755 posts

I cannot see any reason why the old asus rig works more stable than the quo rig. The asus rig I run on 10.8.5 and on the quo I run mavericks.

So let me understand, you are comparing OSX 10.8.5 v.s. Maveriks, nVidia v.s. ATI and is motherboard fault?

Are you serious?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mobo

Topic Stats Last Post Info

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy