OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Well that was interesting.

1) No crashes on restart with the GTX pulled and using only integrated graphics.

2) NVRAM still isn't saving

3) Using the IGPU, I had AirPlay extended desktop available. Now back on the GTX it's gone.

4) Apple boot logo was the correct resolution, but still no second stage

5) Had a pretty wacky graphical glitch after reboot most of the time on the IGPU

IMG_0471_zpsf138f04b.jpg

Any ideas as to why my NVRAM won't save? I've had this problem before but then it would suddenly work. I've managed to get my SMBIOS to iMac 13,2 and get kext-dev-mode=1 in boot-args (a while back). But now I've been trying for 2 hours and it just refuses to work.

Open terminal and type:

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductName=MacPro3,1
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:SystemSerial=CK380NKOXYL
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BaseBoardSerial=17digits long
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductFamily=MacPro
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductId=Mac-F42C88C8
sudo nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB=
sudo nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM=

You take values after = from Clover Configurator to generate unique system serial, baseboard etc.
  • Like 1

Could anyone be so kind as to tell me how. i could change my motherboard id from MacPro 3,1 to MacPro 4,1

As I said before using MacPro4,1/5,1 on sandy/ivy bridge platform is a very bad idea = kernel panic.

Best is iMac13,1/2 depending if IGPU only or discrete gfx used.

Gave it a shot and get nothing but a black screen on boot. The display turns on but but just sitswith there with no picture. No boot screen or anything. Trying to kick in secondary bios to flash my backed up bios now.

did you flash without the nv card? if not try removing the nv card and booting with onboard graphics and set the bios up before reinstalling the graphics card

No I flashed with the gtx installed. Never had to remove it before for a flash. I tried removing it but same problem. I haven't been able to get the secondary bios working yet but when I do I'll try flashing with it pulled.

figured I'd edit this cuz it sounded kind of dickish to me. Anyway...

I used a patched applehda for quite awhile with a discrete card with no issues other than having to rematch it all the time. Since switching to voodoohda I haven't had to do anything with audio for like 5 dp versions. It's been pretty nice.

Did you re-install vanilla first ? Cause I think TheKing mentioned something about the audio codecs .. VoodooHDA if discreet graphics and AppleHDA for iGPU .. so how does it handle a patched AppleHDA ...

!! Note on VoodooHDA, it covers ONLY the onboard codec and is enabled for the moment only for ALC892/ALC1150 !!

!! For discrete graphics HDMI/DP audio AppleHDA is used instead. Those who use internal GPU (IGPU) only will !!

!! have to disable VoodooHda and use AppleHda for HDMI/DP audio !!

To Disable loading VoodooHda.kext from Firmware

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableVoodooHda=%01

To Enable loading VoodooHda.kext from Firmware

sudo nvram 1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101:DisableVoodooHda=%00

Well I got into the backup bios and reflashed with the gtx pulled but I'm still getting a blank screen on boot. Could somebody who has it working post the bios? I think my copy may be corrupted.

Edit: Tried redownloading and flashing again. Same issue. Don't really know what to try here.

Well I got into the backup bios and reflashed with the gtx pulled but I'm still getting a blank screen on boot. Could somebody who has it working post the bios? I think my copy may be corrupted.

Edit: Tried redownloading and flashing again. Same issue. Don't really know what to try here.

Post your exact configuration, that includes number of monitors connected and on what, type/model/connection type.

A tip, try with only one monitor connected on discrete GFX.

Check md5/sha-1 of the downloaded bios, is not healthy to guess and flash without to know...

Post your exact configuration, that includes number of monitors connected and on what, type/model/connection type.

A tip, try with only one monitor connected on discrete GFX.

Check md5/sha-1 of the downloaded bios, is not healthy to guess and flash without to know...

checksum is good.

I have dual 2560x1440 monitors connected via DVI to the 690. They're a couple of reject Apple displays from Korea. I didn't have a problem with them going from 828 to 894.

Just tried with one monitor connected to the discrete card and still no joy. I also tried with the GTX removed and plugged into the IGPU.

One other non-standard component I have installed is an Apple wifi/bt combo card from here. Don't know why it would cause any problems though. It's been working like a champ.

Sounds like the board got damaged, judging your previous posts with random crashes/reboots, you tried to push overclock higher?

Disconnect everything then take out board battery, wait few minutes and put it back, then connect only one display to IGPU and mount only boot hard drive and only 2 sticks of ram(Slot 1 and 3).

Do you have pc-beeper mounted on board? If not try to find one so we can see if board gave some status codes.

If still does not boot, replace one by one, but keep 2 sticks of ram, until you test all 4.

Sounds like the board got damaged, judging your previous posts with random crashes/reboots, you tried to push overclock higher?

Disconnect everything then take out board battery, wait few minutes and put it back, then connect only one display to IGPU and mount only boot hard drive and only 2 sticks of ram(Slot 1 and 3).

Do you have pc-beeper mounted on board? If not try to find one so we can see if board gave some status codes.

If still does not boot, replace one by one, but keep 2 sticks of ram, until you test all 4.

Well I wasn't getting random crashes/reboots, I was just getting kp's whenever I tried to reboot, and it always happened after the screen went black at some point during the shutdown or startup (I'm thinking startup). It would come back up and give me the "your mac was restarted because of an error" message or whatever it says and prompt me to send a crash report to Apple (which I always click ignore on). Panic reports backtraces to graphics kexts. I just mostly chalked it up to DP issues.

I'll give your suggestions a try in any case and see how it goes. I was going to restore my bios backup of 894 and see if it booted. If it did would that tell you anything?

Also, when I restore from the secondary bios to whatever the stock bios was the quo screen comes up no problem.

one more bit of info: I have been overclocked to 4.3GHz but it's been rock solid. Maybe I should put it back to stock and try flashing (although I would think flashing a new bios would reset it anyway).