OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Does anyone want to share what "Update 7" was on Kickstarter? I'm not a backer (yet?) and it ends in roughly 3 days time. Some of the comments mention that $170K is a stretch goal, which is really looks like the priject is going to hit. I'm just curious what those stretch goals are? Unfortunately that update is only available to backers...

ya know - I sent an email, after I was asked by a 'member' of the staff at Quo, asking questions about this board. If you look at all the other sites that are mentioned on their kickstarter page or their home page, its just a regurgitation of the bare bones info that they have had for months and months. I asked for more information from these guys several times. And like I said - they approached ME about writing something up. I didn't think that I asked too difficult of questions, but I never got answers - instead I got delays and the run-around.

Here are the questions I asked:

1. What is your name and how are you associated with this project?

2. How long has this project been in development?

3. How many are involved in this project?

4. Where are you and your team members located?

5. Where is the board being manufactured?

6. How big will the initial run be?

7. How is the OpenSource UEFI being developed?

8. What OpenSource License are you using?

9. What testing methods are you using for the UEFI and for the motherboard?

10. What support options are available for this board?

11. Will you integrate developments that others may make to your UEFI?

12. Can I get the full spec sheet for this motherboard?

13. What are your plans for Haswell?

Some of these have been answered on the kickstarter page (initial run, where is the MB being manufactured) - but I was met with silence with the other questions.

i am working on it. sorry it has been crazy. all i can think of is the great guys in the community and what can be done when we pull together.

please bare with me. (...) so bare with me for another day or two.

Hi thanks for being super patient with me. It has been difficult to say the least. Yes, I will have questions answered Friday. Can you publish on Monday to coincide with some good news.

I will try to answer all the questions as best as possible. Some might not be answered because of liability. Thanks again.

I was approached January 31. Sent the email February 2nd. Last response was February 27th.

Why is everyone who claims they are involved with this tickling my "Danger Will Robinson" reaction? And why are they either hostile or silent when asked for more information?

On paper - this seems like a good board. The problem is the only paper we have is the tiny little paper they spoon fed to everyone months ago with sugar coating on top.

Right now, I'd take my chances with a gigabyte board over this board because at least I know some real detailed information about those boards, the well-established company, and the support they offer.

• Like 6

I dont get thet pledge and backer thing what does it mean? Sorry english is not my first language but is it possible to order one of these mobos and expect it to be shipped as it "normally" would be. Like in a couple of days or what it normally takes to process an order over the internet?

Kickstarter is not a presale system, and they don't claim to be. Their goal is simply to provide a platform for promoting a vision, and tracking any subsequent funding of said vision.

They should not be considered a pre-order system, and there are in fact regulations in the United States about making distinctions between a "pre-order" and an "investment". Kickstarter is an investment system, as described in their documentation, but they make the point to mention that they are only allowing for start-up investment with no share/stock returns for any investors.

Just for clarification...

I dont get thet pledge and backer thing what does it mean? Sorry english is not my first language but is it possible to order one of these mobos and expect it to be shipped as it "normally" would be. Like in a couple of days or what it normally takes to process an order over the internet?

No, because they are still in the pre-production stage. I don't know how many finished motherboards Quo has on hand, but I suspect that right now they only have prototype/first run boards for testing purposes. If they're shipping out in June, I can't imagine that they actually have finished motherboards in the quantities needed to ship on a regular basis.

--------------

As a side note, it seems that Tonymac's website has shut down all discussion of this board, and deleted an account associated with Quo. It's pretty hilarious to use the search function on that site - 50% of the things I search for result in a "not found" or "no access to this", even though it will show up in search results. Apparently nobody told them that this was a Gigabyte project...

• Like 5

well lets see when it comes

Plan.A (which could change) I'm using a Akasa 62 case which as a stainless steel mb tray that pulls out

im thinking of building it all on the mb tray water cooling and ssd all slid out on the mb tray

i know it a old case but its got good cooling and i like it

Kickstarter is not a presale system, and they don't claim to be. Their goal is simply to provide a platform for promoting a vision, and tracking any subsequent funding of said vision.

They should not be considered a pre-order system, and there are in fact regulations in the United States about making distinctions between a "pre-order" and an "investment". Kickstarter is an investment system, as described in their documentation, but they make the point to mention that they are only allowing for start-up investment with no share/stock returns for any investors.

Just for clarification...

No, because they are still in the pre-production stage. I don't know how many finished motherboards Quo has on hand, but I suspect that right now they only have prototype/first run boards for testing purposes. If they're shipping out in June, I can't imagine that they actually have finished motherboards in the quantities needed to ship on a regular basis.

--------------

As a side note, it seems that Tonymac's website has shut down all discussion of this board, and deleted an account associated with Quo. It's pretty hilarious to use the search function on that site - 50% of the things I search for result in a "not found" or "no access to this", even though it will show up in search results. Apparently nobody told them that this was a Gigabyte project...

Pre sale or Experimental - We can keep changing words - This system encourages Innovation and at the same time VALIDATES that DIRECTION by having EARLY ADOPTERS .. INVEST in the DESIGN, MANUFACTURING as well as PURCHASING of it.

To invest in an Initiative and then not find a VALID market has a loss factor. But to have the MARKET demand and VALIDATE by PRE-BUYING/ INVESTING gives the Innovators incentive to try NEW STUFF.

The words of Invest v/s Presale can be argued, but it is a gray area and the fact is it is a very INNOVATIVE and CONDUCIVE gray area that works.

PS: Why did TonyMac forum ban discussion of this board? Do they lose something from it? Couldnt they just create a single STICKY thread for it?

• Like 2

Hey want to thank everyone for the support and also to everyone at Insanely!

Some of you emailed with a few words and trust me it was needed. Overwhelmed by the positiveness makes everything worthwhile.

Hoping to have the site updated by Wednesday.

• Like 2

Because you can't buy it on Amazon or Newegg, so Tony isn't making commission on its sale :D

Its Kickstarter - If anything Tony and everyone should encourage such innovation and give a lot of feedback and once this is Kickstarted and well done - who knows the next thing we will see is Newegg and Amazon have it as well.

Hoping to have the site updated by Wednesday.

I didn't actually get in during the Kickstarter campaign and I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but I'm alright with seeing the first round of these going out first before I dive in. I've been checking your site all week to see if there's any new juicy information. Not that I want you to open a new order form immediately, I'm just looking forward to any updates to your site! No rush though, we all appreciate your hard work and effort :)

Its Kickstarter - If anything Tony and everyone should encourage such innovation and give a lot of feedback and once this is Kickstarted and well done - who knows the next thing we will see is Newegg and Amazon have it as well.

Don't worry, I'm not disagreeing with you at all! In fact, I agree! Tony should be supporting projectQ, but after reading about how he "uptight" he is about keeping his tools and work proprietary, it makes sense he doesn't support it. It's a bit of a disappointment, but I can't argue with his work or views.

Why have an adaptor that do NOT work with all devices when we can guarantee compatibility with all devices. Silly comment you made if you ask me... :P

Has anyone tested the oficial Apple adapter? Also I don't see why the comment is silly: as far as I know, firewire's relegated to some niche music products nowadays...

Has anyone tested the oficial Apple adapter? Also I don't see why the comment is silly: as far as I know, firewire's relegated to some niche music products nowadays...

Firewire is in more thing then just music hardware and has never been niche in the Mac world. Perhaps you are newer to Mac?

Yes, many users have tested it and not all firewire device support it. Apple even stopped making and selling the adaptor for a few months last year but have since brought it back. So do you really want to rely on something that may not work correctly and if it breaks you will not be able to get very easily? Just a thought. Remember that some users use there Hackintoshes in professional environments and need the reliability in there system. This motherboard brings it to them.

Firewire is in more thing then just music hardware and has never been niche in the Mac world. Perhaps you are newer to Mac?

Yes, many users have tested it and not all firewire device support it. Apple even stopped making and selling the adaptor for a few months last year but have since brought it back. So do you really want to rely on something that may not work correctly and if it breaks you will not be able to get very easily? Just a thought. Remember that some users use there Hackintoshes in professional environments and need the reliability in there system. This motherboard brings it to them.

I'm not new to Mac at all, but I'm just going from my personal experience. If you need something 100% reliable, go with a real Mac IMO. If you're a pro, a couple thousand shouldn't matter. All I'm saying is that most users don't need it, and eliminating it would reduce the cost, but it's too late already...