• Please log in to reply
1831 replies to this topic

InteliMac Pro

InteliMac Pro

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Picked up a TP Link  TL-WDN4800, and it shows in system profiler as an airport extreme card, but the wifi icon in the menubar has an X in it. I click on it and it shows nearby networks after a second, but is unable to connect. At the bottom of the list is says WiFi: Not Configured. It was showing in network settings as a wireless NIC but I deleted it and can't get it to show up there again. Could be because I'm running the latest 10.9.2 beta. Not really sure.

UPDATE: Ok, so after some googling I got it working. I don't know if both steps are necessary. Found this apple support thread for Macbook Air wifi issues via tonymac and tried it first: https://discussions....007816#23007816

This didn't fix my issue by itself. I then followed the process in this article, also found in the same tonymac thread: http://osxdaily.com/...ms-in-mac-os-x/

Note: my system didn't have com.apple.network.identification.plist. I deleted the others and rebooted and viola, wifi is working.

I don't know if the first step is necessary. If anybody else is having issues with this wifi card, maybe try the second one first and see if the first step is required. Don't know how stable it will be so I guess we'll see. I also used kext utility rather than use terminal from the first link.

yeh

yeh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Can anyone confirm to have got SLI running with Windows?

I've completely disconnected my OSX 60GB SSD drive.

Installed GTX280 into PCIe slot 1 and connected up monitor via DVI.

installed Win7u 64bit via SATA CDROM onto another/clean 60 GB SSD drive.

Win7u fully updated/patched

Installed 331.82 drivers and rebooted.

Quo boots up fine and I get to Windows7 desktop perfectly fine...

I shut down, install 2nd GTX280, install SLI ribbon cable.

reboot, and no SLI option appears in nVidia control panel... (only physix option)

The 2nd card is fully recognised, and even hot swapping the DVI cable between the two GTX cards works... 

Normally, I'd see that little message in the task bar stating that SLI is possible/capable on this PC etc etc

I've even replaced the SLI ribbon cable thinking it was dodgy... which didn't make any difference...

I also tried 331.93 beta drivers (i.e. I uninstalled and reinstalled newer drivers) which hasn't helped either.

I've got two Titans to go in (currently in my X58 mobo) and also have three GTX480s hiding somewhere so I'll test with these GPUs on the weekend, but was curious if anyone else has SLI happening already?

Cheers,

bitbucket99@yahoo.com

bitbucket99@yahoo.com

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I cannot get both the Intel motherboard graphics AND a PCIe card working in the Quo AOS motherboard.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have tried various combinations of BIOS version (F2N, H3A) and with the IGPU auto/enabled and

a PCIe card installed/not-installed and with the display cable connected to either graphics on boot.

Regardless of the rest of the config, if a PCIe card in in the system, I cannot use the IGPU.

Or, if the IGPU is enabled, then OSX hangs on boot.

The IGPU will work if no PCIe card is installed.

I've tried both an XFX HD7070 and an Asus GTX650 card and the behaviour is the same.

Very puzzling.

I want to use the IGPU for the screen display and use the HD7970 for computation (not graphics).

remote.syst3m

remote.syst3m

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:bash scripting

A different problem.

I took a StarTech single-port eSATA card out of my MacPro 1,1 where it worked just fine and put it into my hackintosh. It identifies as a pci197b,2363 in System Information, but when I attach a drive it does not mount. This is the report:

pci197b,2363:

Type: RAID Controller
Driver Installed: No
MSI: No
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-4
Vendor ID: 0x197b
Device ID: 0x2363
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x197b
Subsystem ID: 0x2363
Revision ID: 0x0003
Link Width: x1
Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

I guess it's not working because there's no driver installed. I don't recall installing one in my MacPro however - there it just worked.

Googling gets me a page of drivers: http://drivers.awdit..._197b/dev_2363/ but unsurprisingly none of them are for Mac.

Where do I start trouble-shooting this? I don't even know where to begin.

I have had multiple Jmicron working onboard, Try installing AHCIPortInjector.kext from Pandora's Box/ It lists the Dev/ven you are referring to.

ioxx

ioxx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

I flashed Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.828M bios. My video card is gigabyte gtx660. when vga boot method set to uefi first in the bios, the screen go black and then cursor twinkles when the pc boots.

Would they add gtx660 uefi boot support?

I set secure boot to windows 8. The computer can boot up with UEFI boot display card and start up fast.

I suggest removing Other OS option in the BIOS.

^andromedar^

^andromedar^

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Hello, folks

I have been lurking in the shadows here for a while, reading and thinking... Now I have finished my first hackintosh project based on the QUO, and wonder how to make OS X 10.6.8 run on it - not the usual noob question, please read on).

Everything does run fine, technically with my new Quo motherboard, 16 GB Ram and Intel.

I had to resort to 10.8.2 which is all nice and dandy, but the reason for me to hack the Intosh was precisely my wish to break out of the Apple jail with regards to the limits of being able to freely up- and downgrade. 10.6.8 is the OS that covers my needs best and all later editions don't. Some family members have a different opinion, and use whatever they like and the same is true for my co-workers. I personally prefer 10.6.8. 

Initially SL was all good and ran, except for the use of my Cinema HD display that did not respond to OSX, while working fine with Fedora and giving no hints that anything tangible could be the root cause. I used another small TV monitor using HDMI to display OS X SL (that display was a royal pita). I flashed the BIOS 801 to 828 to troubleshoot the version of OZ being the culprit - but no game. All of the worked and all of them did not help me start SL.

I figured, the system info was the faulty part, as not compatible with my wished for setup, and decided to write the system info into nvram.

I followed the nvram writing routine (sTaN comment #477, currently on  of course giving it the appropriate SystemSerial and BaseboardSerial. I assumed, this would release the capability within OS X to use the Thunderbolt port.

So the system showed up as a Macmini6,2.

Alas, it did not and the OS X SL boot disc (original out of the box, family license) did not boot any more, neither did the install (carbon copy from a stripped down version I was running on another system). Then, I figured this was due to the Macmini6,2 systems not being compatible with SL.

So I booted with 10.8.2 and redacted the nvram so it would be a system that according to my understanding would let OS X know that it is compatible with 10.6.8:

sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:BiosVersion=IM121.88Z.0047.B1D.1110171110
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductName=iMac12,2
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:SystemSerial=(... as per advice)
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductFamily=iMac
sudo nvram 4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102:ProductId=Mac-(... as per advice)

I left the base board serial as it was.

In "About This Mac" it now shows as a 27" iMac mid 2011 with 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 and OS X 10.8.2 (12C60) nicely, and it is blazingly fast.

I did the Darwindump and can share if this would be required, but I am totally puzzled why OS X SL does not work on this nice machine. Booting with both disk and a bootable stick still fails showing only the grey/white Apple screen.

Configuration: Z77MX-QUO-AOS, Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16 BG RAM, Samsung Evo SSD and 828 OZ-BIOS

Would any of you mages have any helpful pointers? 

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Snow Leopard doesn't support IvyBridge (there are some hacks, but that's what they are) so that's probably the root cause of your trouble.

^andromedar^

^andromedar^

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Snow Leopard doesn't support IvyBridge (there are some hacks, but that's what they are) so that's probably the root cause of your trouble.

Thanks for the speed-of-light-reply, Riley.

Do you have a pointer to a post or a description of the hack? More that happy to try, and as you can see, I am irritated, because it *did* run at some point to my satisfaction from a cc'd disk, just the Apple display stayed black (HDMI based display worked) but later it stopped to work completely (I was blaming my happy-go-lucky-style of editing the nvram?). This includes the DVD, a stick with and without hacks (Chameleon and sound, as well as kexts) and the Samsung disk.

Still puzzled, but will happily check out your suggestion.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Your best bet might be to revert to the original nvram settings. Just set the same variables you used but with MacPro3,1 values. See if that gets it booting again. Then could try MacMini5,3. These came with Lion but some users were able to downgrade them to Snow as they still used Sandybridge CPUs. These had Thunderbolt ports.

InteliMac Pro

InteliMac Pro

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

So has anybody had any problems with their optical drive? I can't get Mavericks to recognize it unless I boot with a disc in the drive. Otherwise it only shows up under SATA devices in system profiler, but not under Disc Burning. If I boot with a disc in, it shows under disc burning and works fine. I've done some extensive googling and see that this has been a problem before with the exact same symptoms, but not necessarily under Mavericks, and none of the solutions for previous OS X versions has worked for me so far. I did find a thread somewhere that said to replace a kext in Mavericks with the version from Mountain Lion, but I can't find the thread again and don't remember which kext it was. Anybody experienced this issue or have a fix? Other than a few bluetooth/wifi quirks I've pretty much got my system humming along other than the optical drive issue. The optical drive is a TSSTcorp TS-T633C.

mixelplick

mixelplick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi, hope I can get some help for an issue I can't seem to solve.

I built my new system with the Quo motherboard and have had it running fine for some time now. Dual boot to Win 7 and Mavericks with no issues except never getting imessage to work but I didn't really care about that.

Today I turn on the system and instead of getting the Quo logo screen, hearing a beep and then it booting in to my Mac os (or hitting f12 to select win7) I hear a beep, the Quo logo comes up and then after some time I hear the beep again, then after a while the beep, and so on for a total of 4 times then the screen goes blank. That's it!

I unplugged all the USB devices, unplugged all the hard drives and the same thing. I would have thought with none of the hard drives connected I would have at least received an error saying there was no drive installed. I have reset the cmos and still nothing, just the beep, splash screen, and then 4 beeps separated by like 20 seconds each time then black screen.

Any one have any thoughts? I am at a loss.

InteliMac Pro

InteliMac Pro

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Hi, hope I can get some help for an issue I can't seem to solve.

I built my new system with the Quo motherboard and have had it running fine for some time now. Dual boot to Win 7 and Mavericks with no issues except never getting imessage to work but I didn't really care about that.

Today I turn on the system and instead of getting the Quo logo screen, hearing a beep and then it booting in to my Mac os (or hitting f12 to select win7) I hear a beep, the Quo logo comes up and then after some time I hear the beep again, then after a while the beep, and so on for a total of 4 times then the screen goes blank. That's it!

I unplugged all the USB devices, unplugged all the hard drives and the same thing. I would have thought with none of the hard drives connected I would have at least received an error saying there was no drive installed. I have reset the cmos and still nothing, just the beep, splash screen, and then 4 beeps separated by like 20 seconds each time then black screen.

Any one have any thoughts? I am at a loss.

Bad/loose RAM? Maybe try unplugging one by one or reseating them. Maybe try the same thing with the graphics card (although if you see the splash screen I can't imagine that would be the problem).

mixelplick

mixelplick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Pulled all of the ram out and then when I turned it on it constantly beeped. At least it was something different! Tried putting in one stick of memory (with difference ones) and the same thing. Might just try the graphic card tomorrow since that's the only thing I haven't really tried.

InteliMac Pro

InteliMac Pro

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Pulled all of the ram out and then when I turned it on it constantly beeped. At least it was something different! Tried putting in one stick of memory (with difference ones) and the same thing. Might just try the graphic card tomorrow since that's the only thing I haven't really tried.

Haha well yeah of course it won't do anything with all the RAM pulled. I doubt it's the vid card but maybe. Hate to say it, but you might need to RMA your board. Sound like a similar issue I had with an MSI Platinum. One day it just wouldn't boot. It would just light up and then shut off. Got a new board and it booted no prob with all the same components.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 779 posts

@mixelplick, 99.9% your issue was caused by bad overclock and was discussed here before.

The solution is to force backup BIOS to kick in(read/search this topic) then flash the BIOS you like again(assuming you didn't killed your ram sticks and/or something else...).

... I am irritated, because it *did* run at some point to my satisfaction from a cc'd disk, just the Apple display stayed black (HDMI based display worked) but later it stopped to work completely...

You need to know few things:

10.6.3 Retail DVD is limited on hardware install and have checks on hardware and system model,  what is unknown wont work, ...what you did wrong when you edited your system model and stuff, I suggest you to reflash your BIOS.

For Snow Leopard, as was said here, you will need SandyBridge CPU, HD3000 will work, not sure if it can drive that cinema display...

- You can use Sandy CPU with discrete gfx card,, just make sure is supported by 10.6.8 at least!

- You can use your current CPU and discrete GFX but you will not have power management working since no support .

^andromedar^

^andromedar^

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

You need to know few things:

10.6.3 Retail DVD is limited on hardware install and have checks on hardware and system model,  what is unknown wont work, ...what you did wrong when you edited your system model and stuff, I suggest you to reflash your BIOS.

For Snow Leopard, as was said here, you will need SandyBridge CPU, HD3000 will work, not sure if it can drive that cinema display...

- You can use Sandy CPU with discrete gfx card,, just make sure is supported by 10.6.8 at least!

- You can use your current CPU and discrete GFX but you will not have power management working since no support .

Thanks, The King

your advice is really appreciated.

I have ordered a discrete card (Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6870 with mini DP). Have tried using the carbon copied HD with a full install instead of the install-DVD. Without the discrete GPU it gives me VGA resolution on the 30" Cinema ( ^_^ ). Nothing I would appreciate. So for the time being, until the card arrives, I will have to continue with 10.8.2 and once the new card arrives, I will try out the MDP.

cheers! 

mixelplick

mixelplick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Found out the issue.....

King saved the day....a while back. About 2 weeks ago I put in a gfx770 and remember there was some issue with it. King had wrote to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only and that fixed it. I don't know how but somehow that setting reset. Pulled my graphic card out, put my old one in, went in to the bios no problem and changed it back to legacy only and now it works fine....at least Win 7 did, Mac was having an issue but one step at a time.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 779 posts

Found out the issue.....

King saved the day....a while back. About 2 weeks ago I put in a gfx770 and remember there was some issue with it. King had wrote to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only and that fixed it. I don't know how but somehow that setting reset. Pulled my graphic card out, put my old one in, went in to the bios no problem and changed it back to legacy only and now it works fine....at least Win 7 did, Mac was having an issue but one step at a time.

And you say this, now...

I said earlier that I wont help people w/o specs in signature, now I am pretty much sure it wont happen again!

And btw settings does not vanish itself, when you reset the CMOS you also reset the values to stock of the that specific BIOS version number

mixelplick

mixelplick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Yes I said this now. It should not have been a bios setting resetting itself. As you said "settings does not vanish itself." This is why I went through and disconnected all the USB devices, tried pulling memory and resetting the cmos (I did this as a last step knowing it would reset the bios settings). 

Like I said this is for anyone else that runs in to an issue that is using a gfx 7xx series card. This board can reset it's bios settings, or at least mine can. Was using my Mac part I had installed and shut it down and then 5 min (literally 5 min) later I went to start it again and the same thing happened again.

This time since I knew what it was I didn't bother with any other steps. Turned off the machine, put in the old graphic card, went to the bios and what do you know....the setting had reset again. Changed it to legacy only, saved and shutdown, put in the 7xx card and now it boots up and am able to write this.

Sent an email to Quo support to see if I got a board with a bad battery.  I had never changed any other bios setting before so maybe I have a bad battery and the whole board is resetting. Nothing else I know of that can switch a bios setting without doing it myself.

THe KiNG

THe KiNG

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 779 posts

Not everyone is made for computers, some things are harder for majority to understand, in your case, that the BIOS has his own A.I.

When you start moving hardware it detects your changes and resets to default...

If is someone at who you want to yell is AMI/Gigabyte, "the others" tried so far to correct their bugs...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mobo

Topic Stats Last Post Info

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy