OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

@iztech

hi, i don't know if you had time to read all comments but here are 2 who seem to me more important than others and there was no answer

Say nothing about FakeSMC?

If it still needed then how can you say "compatible with OSX"?

For me HackOSX can be installed on most computers.

Agreed.

Does it implement an ACPI SMC device in the hardware or in the firmware?

:)

Cordially

• Like 3

Hi, after reading through all of this there is one point which is missing in regard to the legalities of this mother board in respect to Apple's End User License Agreement. When this was in court in the United States the end ruling did uphold Apple's EULA, but more importantly it has upheld the lawfull right to install non-Apple parts into an Apple branded computer. This being said it would be unlawfull for Apple to stop a company from making replacement components for an Apple computer or making third party hardware for the purpose of being installed into an Apple computer. I own a 2006 Mac Pro and have already upgraded it from a quad core to an eight core, if my motherboard was to become damaged (or I simply wished an upgrade) then the purchase of this motherboard would achieve that goal and have no legal consequences.

This a company selling a motherboard which can be used to build a PC or as a replacement for an existing Mac Pro motherboard. Sure, to replace my Mac Pro motherboard I would have to modify my case such as I have already down to my G5 so that it can take a mATX board. I did so on my G5 by installing a Lian Li motherboard tray and back plate. With my G5 I wished to upgrade it to have an Intel CPU and so I replaced the motherboard and CPU. Would this be classed as a Hackintosh or an extensive upgrade? With a Windoze based computer people's upgrade their CPU and motherboard on a regular basis and often change manufacturer in the process, this is still classed as an upgraded.

All thoughts welcome.

P.S. This is the first time I have had to do an exam to be allowed to post on a forum, anyway to find out which two I got wrong?

• Like 2

...This a company selling a motherboard which can be used to build a PC or as a replacement for an existing Mac Pro motherboard...

Good point! But there is a catch. If a product you've upgraded using a 3d party components not approved by Apple, you would lose a warranty (If it is still under). IMO

Good point! But there is a catch. If a product you've upgraded using a 3d party components not approved by Apple, you would lose a warranty (If it is still under). IMO

This is all un-true. You can not take this MB and use components from any one mac and make this work. Second its not meant nor designed to be a replacement but a motherboard that is easy to configure under any OS.

But his point is that, based on the very same judicial decision that defeated Psystar, using the board in this manner - if possible, and it is, needing only a case mod - would not violate EULA, only void the warranty. If that's true, he's got a point, Rampage, yet i doubt someone would ever buy this board and undergo all the mods needed as a replacement for a Mac Pro board.

Best regards!

This is all un-true. You can not take this MB and use components from any one mac and make this work. Second its not meant nor designed to be a replacement but a motherboard that is easy to configure under any OS.

My point is that you can't replace an apple made components (the main ones like MB) with non apple made, and still have a valid apple warranty. I'm not talking about the technical side of the matter. :)
  • Like 1

But based on the very same judicial decision that defeated Psystar, using the board in this manner - if possible, and it is, needing only a case mod - would not violate EULA, only void the warranty. He's got a point, Rampage, yet a quite impractical one.

Best regards!

No he does not. This has nothing to do with the EULA or warranty. Psystar did not get in trouble for making mac systems but for installing the OS. Please read the court brief of what they were found guilty of.

In fact, he does, and what you're saying is that, in the end, it doesn't really matters, because building a hackintosh-friendly piece of hardware, or even a complete build, doesn't violate itself the EULA, as long as you don't pre-install the OS.

Well, that's disputable: see post #104.

Best regards!

In fact, he does, and what you're saying is that, in the end, it doesn't really matters, because building a hackintosh-friendly piece of hardware, or even a complete build, doesn't violate itself the EULA, as long as you don't pre-install the OS.

Correct. Thats what case law says. Dell has been building clones for years.

• Like 1

Well, that's disputable: see post #104.

Best regards!

Exactly. Any vendor selling a a UEFI-based GIGABYTE LGA1155 board with compatible CPU and a GraphicsEnabler-supported GPU is effectively selling a Mac clone, or at least an easily hackintosh-able PC.

• Like 1

Exactly. Any vendor selling a a UEFI-based GIGABYTE LGA1155 board with compatible CPU and a GraphicsEnabler-supported GPU is effectively selling a Mac clone, or at least an easily hackintosh-able PC.

Thats exactly my point. People thinking this is not legal is laughable.

I'm wondering if the hackintosh is the reason the MacPro is being left to wither on the vine...

I doubt it - not that this isn't a valid idea but simply because of conversations I have had with people (mostly creative professionals) who buy Mac Pros. A couple of reasons why:

1) When you're an established business, you don't go around breaking the EULA of the company your workflow is built around.

2) When your livelihood depends on your computer, you don't play with the possibility of important updates breaking your system.

3) Though Macs do fail, AppleCare is still a HUGE motivator for buying a real Mac Pro (this is the one that comes up the most).

Honestly spoken, the majority of people who build Mac Pro-type hackintoshes probably wouldn't shell out the $2500+ bucks it would take to buy a base Mac Pro. This is a general observation - obviously we have seen some KILLER builds on this forum, but generally speaking people who build hackintoshes do so to save money or to tinker. The Mac Pro is designed for the professional market, the majority of whom probably are still buying/considering buying a Mac Pro (although their sales will drop until they announce the new line later this year).

Just my casual observations, but they are backed with many conversations with Mac Pro owners in various professional fields.

• Like 5

so WHEN is this on sale WHERE ??????????

my current box blew a power supply and may have taken out the M/B too

I need it now not next month or next year

so do you have FIRM release date ?

or is this vapor ware ?

Predicted shipping date is May for those who gave money via Kickstarter

can't see waiting 2 plus months on this old g4 piece of junk set up lol

and that is NOT a FIRM sale/release date just to insiders/supporters anyway

btw what is the MINIMUM payment to get on their list ? or is that still open anyway ?

and is there a firm price yet ?

I would love to try this M/B but hate waiting and playing games like this

can't see waiting 2 plus months on this old g4 piece of junk set up lol

and that is NOT a FIRM sale/release date just to insiders/supporters anyway

btw what is the MINIMUM payment to get on their list ? or is that still open anyway ?

and is there a firm price yet ?

I would love to try this M/B but hate waiting and playing games like this

First 100 it was $220 and now it is $240. Consider all the add on cards you do not need its a great price.

So, basically by the time this board is generally available it will be up against Haswell boards.

We explained this earlier, I will say one more time.

If and when haswell will meat AOS standards we will make a board with it.

So far, you are talking about a "paper" board and if you google a bit, you will find that haswell has problems and 99.99% it will be delayed.

On top of that, if Apple will use it, as we known from the past, it will get at least one month, if not more, of exclusivity until it will reach PC market, if you add on that how long it will take until it will be stable on all mainstream operating systems, you will get close to the end of this year.

• Like 3

- Built in components: Intel 82574L LAN

I got an Intel 82574L LAN PCIe card, but OSX don't supports it OOB.

What will be the difference to the chip on the board ?

• 2 weeks later...

It has the exact same Texas Instruments chip as in MacPro ;)

A lspci tree from Linux:

-[0000:00]-+-00.0 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller [8086:0150]
	 +-02.0 Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0162]
	 +-14.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31]
	 +-16.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a]
	 +-1a.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d]
	 +-1b.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20]
	 +-1c.0-[01-6b]--+-[0000:31]---00.0 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller [1b21:0612]
	 |			 +-[0000:30]---03.0 Intel Corporation Device [8086:151a]
	 |			 +-[0000:2f]---00.0 Intel Corporation Device [8086:151a]
	 |			 +-[0000:03]---00.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 +-[0000:02]-+-00.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 +-03.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 +-04.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 +-05.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 |		 \-06.0 Intel Corporation DSL3510 Thunderbolt Port [Cactus Ridge] [8086:1547]
	 |			 \-[0000:01]---00.0-[00]--
	 +-1c.4-[6c]----00.0 Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10f6]
	 +-1c.6-[6d]----00.0 Atheros Communications Inc. AR9300 Wireless LAN adaptor [168c:0030]
	 +-1c.7-[6e-6f]----00.0-[6f]----00.0 Texas Instruments XIO2213A/B/XIO2221 IEEE-1394b OHCI Controller [Cheetah Express] [104c:823f]
	 +-1d.0 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26]
	 +-1f.0 Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller [8086:1e44]
	 +-1f.2 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e02]
	 \-1f.3 Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1e22]

I'm looking to build a new system over the next few months and have backed this project on Kickstarter. My current PC is over 5 years old so I've been looking at processors to go with this board. I've seen a lot of positive opinions regarding the performance/value of the Xeon E3 Ivy Bridge processors but Rashantha confirmed to me on Kickstarter that those CPUs won't be supported. However, assuming THe KiNG's post above is from the Quo board, it appears to show one being used. Is it just the case of the above being a beta/custom UEFI version or that they're not "officially" supported?