OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

If I were a motherboard manufacturer, I would go out of my way to make sure all my hardware is compatible with OS X, that way you would make some extra sales from the people wanting to build hackintoshes. Not sure if thats how companies think but that would be cool.

If I were a motherboard manufacturer, I would go out of my way to make sure all my hardware is compatible with OS X, that way you would make some extra sales from the people wanting to build hackintoshes. Not sure if thats how companies think but that would be cool.

Sort of like anonymous Gigabyte employees have already admitted to doing?

If you add together the downloads of all the various installation tools and distros, it's not a stretch to say that the hackintosh motherboard market sector is a multi-million dollar industry already.

• Like 1

Hey guys, this has been very fun to follow and i am also very excited about this project. The request of $160 made me laugh. This is clearly at least the equal of the $250 z77x-up5 board (though a full ATX version would be a great option). One question i have not seen discussed is will thunderbolt hotplug / hotswap work on this board?

Thanks,

g\

• Like 1

I think people are missing the key part to this motherboard, it will (theoretically) keep working. Other than audio there will be no issues with updates, it's the closet we've ever gotten to straight apple hardware.

The real question will obviously be updates over time, but even if there aren't any the hardware is ahead of everyone elses.

For people that use a Hackintosh to GET WORK DONE, and not just "chromebook" worthy duties, and tinkering, this is huge. It's the difference of some glitch getting you out of nowhere, which is entirely possible on most hacks. Remember it's not just apples updates but the communities itself. The latest chimera that fixed iMessages also now introduced some sleep issues on an otherwise 100% kosher machine.

Were working on the fringe, this AOS board has the benefit of stabilizing a LOT of factors that can be problematic.

• Like 1

chimera that fixed iMessages also now introduced some sleep issues on an otherwise 100% kosher machine.

You do know that chimera is stolen and is just rebranded Chameleon Bootloader right?

They did nothing to develop any fixes, patches or solutions.

Also my system is 100% stable as are the majority of systems. It does not matter what hardware you are using it comes down to understanding the install and post install process. I can make almost any system that is intel base work 100% within 2 hours of receiving all the parts.

• Like 2

The latest chimera that fixed iMessages also now introduced some sleep issues on an otherwise 100% kosher machine.

Chimera didn't fix anything: it just incorporated the fix from the main trunk of Chameleon. The development of the fix was made by meklort and cosmo1t, who don't have a thing to do with the Chimera branch, and was available for Chameleon users almost a month before Chimera was updated to include it. Caesaris caesari. ;) Check out if there are sleep issues with latest Chameleon, by the way.

Best regards!

You do know that chimera is stolen and is just rebranded Chameleon Bootloader right?

I wouldn't go that far, regardless of my thoughts about Voldemort and his Horcruxes: Chimera is a legitimate (registered) branch of Chameleon, despite its contributions to the main trunk being minimal (some graphics card IDs or so).

Best regards!

Edited by theconnactic
  • Like 1

I wouldn't go that far, regardless of my thoughts about Voldemort and his Horcruxes: Chimera is a legitimate (registered) branch of Chameleon, despite its contributions to the main trunk being minimal (some graphics card IDs or so).

Best regards!

Rebranded with a few Device ID's provided. Ask the developers.

Anyway, and only as a side note, the Messages fix was idealized by El Nono and others, and Clover was the first to include the fix, weeks before Chameleon itself. Then meklort and cosmo1t did a wonderful job coming up with a solution for Chameleon. I followed that development, since i used to talk with meklort on IRC almost in a daily basis (he also contributes, albeit more with tips and directions than actual code, to AMD kernel development): those two guys really rock.

Best regards!

• Like 1

Never said Chimera wasn't a blatant rip of chameleon. Just generally has had less issues, as chameleon is not as "release-y" as chimera, so some of the trunk versions have issues, some don't. My machine is my main "production" machine so it needs to run no issue-and rampage, I too can get anything up in under two hours, I've been working on hacks since the leaked Tiger images a very, very, very long time ago (I've been a user here since august of '05 for example).

As for the chimera comment it was a comment in general, many of the "new releases" of the tools we use on a hack also pose the possibility of issues (not for all, but for some). Same could apply to Chameleon, Clover, etc. What my point was AOS board has the potential to remove a lot of these things from being necessary, thus removing the potential for future issues, or issues that arrive from updates to the scene's releases. Let's forget I mentioned chimera then ;)

Edited by Philz
  • Like 1

ok guys, i am really very interested in this and would be happy to pre-order (kickstarter) as well as spread the word to several friends who would likely want this board. But i do need a couple of questions answered. Will thunderbolt be hot plug capable and hot swap capable in OS X? have any of the devs been able to test this? Also how will the fw800 headers be dealt with? is a back bracket or front panel included? i am not familiar with brackets or panels that support fw800 so it would be good to know if it comes with the board or if not what is a good source for compatible back bracket or front panel fw800 ports.

Thanks,

g\

I am one of the motherboard developers(ACPI and UEFI customizations).so few inputs from me:

- This board will require minimal (to none on future) user input for OS (X) boot, AOS stands for ALL OS, so is not just a board for hackint0sh, we are developing it for Windows and Linux too.

- It will feature built in UEFI Open Boot Loader and as a future plan built in Chameleon for legacy boot, more info and details later.

- Built in components: Intel 82574L LAN, Intel USB 3.0, TI FW800 2x ports on board and x1 FW400 on back, HD4000 Graphics(require CPU support), ALC892 Audio Codec, and 2x Cactus Ridge Thunderbolt ports all this in Micro ATX form factor.

- All built in components works OOTB with our custom firmware(exception is audio).

Thinking long and hard about it.

so, which are the main differences w.r.t. a plain Gigabyte motherboard? many gigabyte motherboards require minimal effort to be used with OSX

*Edit* Just realized you're implying that you know it's a Gigabyte, sorry! Comment is now directed at those who didn't know.

It IS a Gigabyte motherboard - or at least it's a side-project that involves them. From the kickstarter page: "The motherboard is created by a very reputable company, Gigabyte USA as an exclusive OEM project."

Honestly this little bit of information worries me. If Apple finds out that a MAJOR manufacturer is involved in the hackintosh scene, they will start doing more to block us out, almost guaranteed. I know that we have some truly talented coders in the community who can pretty much break anything Apple puts out, but it worries me nonetheless. The OSx86 community has survived partly because there have only been a very few number of ventures into commercialization (Psystar etc)...I can't imagine Apple legal overlooking one of the world's leading motherboard manufacturers backing EULA violations.

• Like 2

Yes but QUO is covering themselves by saying 'all OS' supported, they're not making the cardinal mistake Psystar made by pre-installing.

Also, Apple would have a hard time telling all its vendors to use different chipsets. The reason this board works (on paper) is because Apple uses these components in their Mac Pro.

Honestly, I'm way more concerned with Apple going exclusively to ARM. That could be catastrophic.

• Like 1

Yes but QUO is covering themselves by saying 'all OS' supported, they're not making the cardinal mistake Psystar made by pre-installing.

Also, Apple would have a hard time telling all its vendors to use different chipsets. The reason this board works (on paper) is because Apple uses these components in their Mac Pro.

Honestly, I'm way more concerned with Apple going exclusively to ARM. That could be catastrophic.

Apple is not going to ARM because every App would have to re made for it. Apple makes a larger majority from the App Store the Mac Sales. Also look into licensing for x86 emulation. Its not going to happen.

From a strictly legal point of view (I spent a year studying business law in the U.K.) what a company mentions in press releases will nearly always ONLY be used against them, and can rarely be used to support them in a legal battle (i.e. "but on our website it says..." doesn't impress judges).

So while saying "any OS" is great marketing (and in my opinion, a noble goal), it has absolutely NO standing in any legal sense unless it is stated officially in company policies. EVEN THEN, any other talk on forums such as this of facilitating people to break a contract with Apple (in this case their EULA) is grounds for legal repercussions at Apple's behest. Cleverly they have not mentioned OSX on their kickstarter project. Less cleverly, they have been open about announcing this project on one of two hackintosh websites that I am sure Apple is aware of (i.e. Insanelymac).

My argument has NOTHING to do with chipsets and everything to do with a company making money by promoting a motherboard compatible with Apple's proprietary software, whether directly or indirectly. Note the key phrase "making money". Rarely will an end-user be sued (although I do have a friend who was on the chopping block during the BitTorrent shake-down), because barr making an example, there are no financial damages to be had. Hacker magazines? Educational. Figuring out how to hack in to your DVR to download recorded shows to your iPod? Questionable, certainly against your TOU, but probably not going to get you into serious trouble. Partnering with a major manufacturer to sell a motherboard that will most likely be purchased to run OSX?

When it comes down to it, a simple question from Apple's lawyers would look something like this (assuming honesty is a given):

Apple: Did you create these motherboards to run OSX?

Quo: We created them for an end-user to install whatever they wanted on them.

Apple: At any point did you mention intentional compatibility with OS X?

Quo: There were some conversations about this on an internet forum, yes.

Apple: Was this by people employed by or directly associated with Quo computer?

Quo: Yes.

And that is how you get a strong legal basis for proving that their intent, whether primary or not, was to help users bypass Apple's EULA, something which while not ilegal, certainly is open to legal recourse.

Listen - I'm all for open-source software and the freedom of choice for end-users, HOWEVER, a noble cause does not a lawsuit avoid. I want these guys to succeed. I wish them all the best on their kickstarter project, and am already planning on purchasing a board for my Mac Pro mod. But having open discussions linking your product to breaking Apple's EULA? Very unwise for people connected to the company to be involved.

*Edited for grammatical reasons.*

• Like 3

Point well made because when Apple's legal suit finds enough basis to proceed they most certainly will captialize on the opportunity.

All in all though, I'm for the board like I've posted before it's just the legalities about how you speak of the board that worries me when monetary gains starts being factored in.

And that is how you get a strong legal basis for proving that their intent, whether primary or not, was to help users bypass Apple's EULA, something which while not ilegal, certainly is open to legal recourse.

I live in France, ymmv for other values of "home". :)

Breaking EULA could certainly bring you in front of a judge if Apple decide to bring the matter to court.

But the results could also be suboptimal here: we all remember the Psystar case, but www.pearc.de sells Apple clones since 1999 and as far as we know, Apple let it be without going to court or trying to settle by other means.

http://www.pearc.de

Here in France we also have Article L122-1 from Code de la Consommation about "vente liée" which could apply to Apple EULA, should they choose to sue.

http://fr.wikipedia....es_de_logiciels

I think (and could be wrong as IANAL) that Apple do not see their EULA as 100% enforceable in Europe, and wisely choose to stay put, for the moment.

• Like 1

I live in France, ymmv for other values of "home". :)

[...]

I think (and could be wrong as IANAL) that Apple do not see their EULA as 100% enforceable in Europe, and wisely choose to stay put, for the moment.

Tu as tout a fait raison - you are of course correct, and we are seeing that Apple is both winning and losing their case depending on the locale of the fight. The problem is that a startup that seems to be based in California, USA (http://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Los-Angeles/quo-computer-llc/47645873.aspx) may not have the protection afforded by E.U. regulations. Either way, I wish Quo the best of luck - forget OSX out-of-the-box, I want that color scheme!! :D

• Like 1

Hi guys thanks for all the post, suggestions and feedback.

Really appreciate. I am sorry we can't say too much only that this an amazing product and we are excited as much as you guys.

We really hope the KS campaign succeeds : it is great to see the community unite.

Definitely have future plans and road map but one step first. Then when you guys get the board in your hands we take a second step.

Wish I could talk more about this. We need your continued support. thx.

I'd like to order a complete system, but I'd really rather do it through some configuration tool on your website where you can customize it and know exactly what you're getting. So.. I'm certainly rooting for the product and hope it succeeds. I like when anyone challenges the constraints of modern technology and potentially makes Apple mad :D