OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Will there be any updates to the non-OZ firmware, or is it a component of OZ anyway?

There seem to be 2 BIOS versions on the QUO site. I don't know if there will be, or if there will even need to be, further updates. Supposing this is part of the gigabyte IVB series boards and is using that gen firmware it seems like gigabyte is no longer updating these firmwares (unless they discover a big issue) and as is typical, is focusing on firmware development for the haswell boards now. 

g\

Oz its a best bootloader in my opinion and will give u all that u ever need!

It just work.

U can try it and see for yourself.

Clover can be used with Oz if u like Clover GUI, i use it like that.

such an insightful post...  :rolleyes:

I have been using this board for 2 weeks. I have discovered that the first thunderbolt port (upper one) disconnecting when a USB device is plugged in to any one of the USB 2.0/3.0 ports on the back on the board. The second thunderbolt port works fine. The USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports used for connecting to the front of the casing do not interfere with the first thunderbolt port. Only the rear built in ports causes it to disconnect. I am on OSX 10.8.5, 8gb ram, GTX580(16x) and 9600GT(8x), 120GB samsung SSD, 750w Seasonic, Thunderbolt Western Digital MyBook-4TB, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, H3A 828 bios. I want to be able to use the first port for display. Do I have a faulty board?

I have been using this board for 2 weeks. I have discovered that the first thunderbolt port (upper one) disconnecting when a USB device is plugged in to any one of the USB 2.0/3.0 ports on the back on the board. The second thunderbolt port works fine. The USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports used for connecting to the front of the casing do not interfere with the first thunderbolt port. Only the rear built in ports causes it to disconnect. I am on OSX 10.8.5, 8gb ram, GTX580(16x) and 9600GT(8x), 120GB samsung SSD, 750w Seasonic, Thunderbolt Western Digital MyBook-4TB, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, H3A 828 bios, Intel core i7 3770k 4.0GHz.  I want to be able to use the first port for display. Do I have a faulty board?

Hi. I don't know if this is the right place for this question, but here goes. Hopefully I can get some help, or directions to a better place to ask.

I've got my Quo AOS running using the tonymac tools, except for bluetooth and HDMI audio. I'm less worried about HDMI, but I want bluetooth and came across this topic and decided to try the Oz boot loader.

As per the instructions I downloaded the 828M version found on the wiki, and flashed my BIOS.

Unfortunately, I can't get past the cursor that appears after the splash screen, and I don't know how to fix that.

My setup is this:

Mobo: QUO-AOS mobo

CPU: Intel i7-3770K CPU

RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair

GPU: GeForce GTX770 ACX 4GB

Bluetooth: IOGear GBU521 USB 2 dongle

WIFI: TP-link TL -WDN4800 PCI card

Display: ASUS 1920x1080 VE228 for testing, 2 x Apple 30" 2560x1600 for work.

Storage: assorted drives including a 120GB+3TB fusion drive which I currently boot from.

The stock BIOS displays the QUO logo and slogan distorted, which helps let me know that the 828M flash "took", because it displays the logo in the correct proportions.

But I can't get anywhere. I can't get to the BIOS to make any changes. The logo displays for much longer than on the stock BIOS and ignores any key presses like F12 or DEL so I can't get in to do a config, then the screen goes black except for a static underscore cursor in the upper left hand corner. From there I can do nothing.

The instructions say it will reboot itself twice, but that doesn't happen. I've tried rebooting manually, but that didn't make any difference.

I tried it with all drives connected, tried disconnecting all the drives except for one (and the USB drive with the ROM flash on it), and tried it with no drives connected except for the flash drive.

I even tried going back and installing the 820M build (I'm getting pretty good at restoring -- yay Dual BIOS).

Does anyone have an idea of what to try next?

Thanks.

Well, that was painful.

I unplugged everything from the motherboard, inside and out, except for monitor (DVI), keyboard and the flash stick. Flashed the BIOS again. This time there was more success, in that it got past the cursor stage. However, the video was acting weird, would start out OK then go all blocky and green. I fought with that for hours and then gave up. Went back to post #989 and followed the steps.

This is where I learned how to use md5 (and shasum).

In the Terminal, type md5 and a space, then drag the file you want to check from a Finder window to the Terminal window and hit Return/Enter. The number it generates should match the number in the checksum.txt file accompanying the file you want to check (if provided).

shasum works the same way. The 828M checksum.txt file has both an MD5 and a SHA-1 hash in it, for double checking (which I did).

It turns out the mirror copy of 828M linked to in the Wiki is corrupt.

Let me repeat that.

THE WIKI MIRROR LINKS TO A CORRUPT COPY OF THE 828M OZ BOOTLOADER.

(I'm yelling because I don't know how to fix that, and I hope someone else will.)

Oh, and the mirror copy doesn't include the checksum.txt.

I downloaded a clean copy from the source also linked to in the Wiki (it's the "Third Party" link), checksummed it, copied it to the flash drive, checksummed it again just for good measure, then proceeded with the install.

For anyone following along later, the wiki is here: wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS ​It's a part of this site, but I don't believe it's been linked to before in this topic and I find it hard to navigate to so it's here for my convenience too. [Note to self: this post is on page 53 of this topic]

Anyway, so far it's going good. Everything is still unplugged, but I was able to boot into a virgin Mavericks OS installer I built on a USB 2 thumb drive, and I installed a virgin copy of Mavericks onto a USB 3 thumb drive which in turn booted up to the fresh install routine. I'm out of time for tonight, but tomorrow I'll reinstall the video card, the bluetooth dongle, the Wifi card, and some hard drives and see what happens.

One piece of good news: the HDMI audio works. I guess I was using HDMI when I gave up on the corrupted BIOS, and didn't change it back to DVI. The computer just asked me from across the room if I wanted to use Voice Over to proceed with setting up my new Mac. Good news! Hopefully bluetooth will work too...

Thanks for the help!

P.S.: Does anyone know how to report bugs to the OZ people? Not a big thing, but if you F12 to select the boot drive, and you've got more than a pageful of drives, it doesn't scroll and you can't select a drive below the page, or go to the BIOS which is always the last item in the list. Or at least that's how I fuzzily remember it from the marathon.

Well, it's the video card for sure. I put everything back together and got the same problem - at boot the Quo logo would display for a long time, not respond to keyboard input, and then go to a black screen with a cursor blinking, also non responsive to keyboard.

So if anyone knows how to provide feedback to the OZ people, or can tell me where I can do so, their boot loader does not work with an EVGA GeForce GTX770 ACX 4GB PCIe video card in Slot 1. I don't know if it's because the 7xx series is too new, or because it's got 4GB RAM, or what.

In interesting news, the Oz (Ozmosis? Ozymandius? Ozone? Oztralia? Ozcillate? Oztracize?) Bootloader works with Lion. I was able to grab the old drive out of my Mac Pro 1,1, plug it in, select it at boot time, and boot right up. That's actually what I expected as an out-of-the-box experience when I ordered the QUO-AOS, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

Sadly I need the video card working to drive my dual 30" monitors, so I guess I have to go back to the tonymac method.

BTW, fwiw bluetooth did not work with the Oz method either. The card shows up in the System Report, but nothing appears in the Preferences panel. I'm beginning to suspect I have a defective dongle.

Thanks for this thread. It proved very interesting, even if it didn't work out.

1.You cannot make love with tonymac then came here and raise the child..., usualy when we see his nick/site mentioned autoignore is set, not to mention is an "insult" to use such "multi" things with this board...that's why you didn't got a reply sooner...

2. F12 scroll bug is AMI bug not Ozmosis, if you disable Legacy Boot you wil free some...

3. If you would bother to read this thread or at least my posts(is very easy select my user and tick posts) you would find that for nVidia 7xx series you need to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only in BIOS. I also said that I will came up with a guide for 7xx cards for how to use with built in GPU after i am done testing it.

But since Ozmosis didn't do his magic on your bluetooth dongle you are free to go back to your previous "method".

• Like 2

I hope anyone can help me out with this:

Ever since I upgraded to Mavericks I do not have any hdmi audio. I patched it with the quo legacy file.

To be sure I plugged my headphones in at the back of my hack and I do have audio there, however no audio out of my monitor through hdmi.

I have upgraded to the latest Oz release and even did a clean reinstall of Mavericks to be sure I did not mess anything up after this I of course applied the legacy patch again.

Specs are in my signature.

1.You cannot make love with tonymac then came here and raise the child..., usualy when we see his nick/site mentioned autoignore is set, not to mention is an "insult" to use such "multi" things with this board...that's why you didn't got a reply sooner...

Sorry, no insult intended. I very much wish I had found this thread back when I got my board in September. The Oz boot loader is a very much more elegant solution for my needs. You will note I got my board in September - using his methods it took me until last week to get my install stable enough to transfer my data over to it. It's only taken me 3 days to get the Oz boot loader to work - much better. [That being said, I don't know if the Oz boot loader was around in September.]

2. F12 scroll bug is AMI bug not Ozmosis, if you disable Legacy Boot you wil free some...

Yeah. That was only happening when I had the corrupted BIOS installed. That's why I struck it out. I now have five drives installed and I was surprised to see them F12 listed by their Finder name as well as their UEFI and P tags. That of course is 15 line items, and it scrolls just fine now.

3. If you would bother to read this thread or at least my posts(is very easy select my user and tick posts) you would find that for nVidia 7xx series you need to Set BIOS Features/Display Boot Option ROM Control to Legacy Only in BIOS. I also said that I will came up with a guide for 7xx cards for how to use with built in GPU after i am done testing it. 

Yeah again. I stand abashed. After I read the instructions and your post #989 for about the 14th time I realized that when I made that setting before it was with the corrupted BIOS file, and I hadn't set it again with the good BIOS. The setting hadn't stuck. I reset that last night and can now boot with the GTX770, which is why I struck that out above. I am now booting directly from my old MacPro1,1 Lion boot drive. I've updated it to Mavericks, and my goal for today is to reformat the fusion drive and get the Mac to boot from that.

But since Ozmosis didn't do his magic on your bluetooth dongle you are free to go back to your previous "method".

When I updated the Lion drive to Mavericks, there were pre-existing bluetooth profiles and they show up. Using them I have managed to connect to my phone and Apple Wireless Trackpad. (I'm using a wired keyboard.) I don't know about new devices, but this is way better results than what I got with the other method, so I would say bluetooth works.

So whoever is responsible for the Oz boot loader is doing good work. Thanks to them, and thanks to those on this thread.

I'll let you know how it goes with the fusion drive.

Cheers!

Well, it seems fusion drive works just fine with the 828M boot loader.

I had a working fusion drive that I knew I won't going to keep, so I cloned it to a backup HD before starting so I wouldn't lose any data. I'm assuming you're starting from scratch, however.

Instructions on making your own fusion drive can be found in many places, but these Macworld ones are pretty clear:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html

Don't forget to make a complete backup of any data you want to keep.

In my honoured tradition of doing it wrong the first time, I created the fusion drive, installed Mavericks, and then noticed that it did not create a Recovery HD partition automatically, which is necessary for Find My Mac, etc. I am sure there's a way to create it from the command line, but I found a blog post (I didn't bookmark it, sorry) that suggested the best way to get a sanctioned version of the Recovery HD partition was to install Mavericks to the HD first, then when you create the fusion drive, do so only using the data partition on the HD, not the whole HD.

Here's how to create a fusion drive with a Recovery HD:

When you list your drives:

$ diskutil list

Here is what a non-fusion boot drive looks like:

/dev/disk2
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Safari3000bak           3.0 TB     disk2s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk2s3

The drive identifier is disk2, the EFI partition disk2s1 is used by Mac OS, the data partition you see in the Finder is disk2s2 and the Recovery HD is disk2s3. Your list will probably look different, the first number may be something else, e.g. disk0s1, but the partition numbers will be as above. Note the second partition is of type "Apple_HFS" and the third partition is of type "Apple_Boot". Partition 2 has the name of the drive you see in the Finder. In this case this drive is a complete clone backup I just made of my working fusion drive.

This is what my fusion drive with no Recovery HD looked like:

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         119.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk3
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         3.0 TB     disk3s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk3s3

In my case I was using disk0 and disk3 to make the fusion drive: your drive identifiers may be different. They are my SSD and HD respectively, and you'll see both have exactly the same structure, with partition 3 named "Boot OS X". Partition 2 is no longer Apple_HFS, instead Apple_CoreStorage is what's combined to create the volume you see in the Finder. You'll notice that unlike the Apple_HFS partition, there's no Finder-friendly name listed.

You'll also notice there's no Recovery HD.

So I broke the fusion drive again and installed Mavericks on only  the HD, not the SSD. There's no need to go through the registration setup once it boots to that screen, you're not going to keep the full install, only the recovery partition.

There's lots of places to find out how to undo a fusion drive, once again Macworld has pretty clear instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2015664/how-to-split-up-a-fusion-drive.html

Now recreate the fusion drive, but don't use the instruction exactly as Macworld listed them, instead specify the partition you want to use on the HD. Here's Macworld's instructions, edited for my case:

diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk3

Instead, do this:

$ diskutil cs create "Fusion Drive" disk0 disk3s2

You'll notice the difference is the specification of the actual partition you want to use on the HD. Again, your disk identifiers may be different, but the partition number will be the same, s2. Doing it this way doesn't erase and repartition the entire HD, it just erases partition 2 (where you just installed Mavericks) and preserves the Recovery HD.

So now follow the rest of the Macworld instructions. After you're done, when you list your drives, you'll see something similar to this instead:

/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         119.7 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk3
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk3
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk3s1
   2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         3.0 TB     disk3s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk3s3
/dev/disk4
   0:                  Apple_HFS Safari3000             *3.1 TB     disk4

Again you'll see the EFI and Apple_CoreStorage partitions, but this time only the SSD has the Boot OS X partition: the HD now has the Recovery HD. And in this case disk4 is the name of the fusion drive as you see it in the Finder.

I made one final mistake. I cloned my backup drive back to the new fusion drive but it wouldn't boot until I re-installed Mavericks onto it (For reference, I got boot0 errors). So I would recommend after you've created your new drive and before you restore to it, you install Mavericks and confirm it boots to the initial setup screen. You don't have to go through setup if you will be cloning your working drive to it.

After I got everything restored, I confirmed that Back To My Mac and Find My Mac were both activated in the iCloud pane of System Preferences, so the Recovery HD partition was working as expected.

Success! And it only took me a day to get it done right........ :)

--------------

Cloning/Backing up/Saving your ass:

There's two dominant players in the Mac backup cloning arena: Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)  and SuperDuper. I've happily used both in the past interchangeably, but as of today only CCC states it is Mavericks-compliant so I recommend it. Both are commercial software, but both offer fully functional free evaluations. Since the two drives making up your fusion drive are statistically more likely to fail than one, backups are essential. I recommend buying CCC and setting it up to clone your fusion drive to a normal HD once a day. Then between that and your Time Machine backup (you do have a Time Machine backup, don't you?) you're covered. When your fusion drive fails (and it will), you can just boot from the clone which is at most a day old, and restore any new files made since the last clone from your Time Machine. Minimum downtime, no data loss, and you can build another fusion drive at your convenience.

FWIW I just used CCC to backup to an old clone drive, and it informed me that the version of the OS installed on the Recovery HD was Lion. It then offered to update the Recovery HD to Mavericks to match my new fusion drive. I've read that's a difference between CCC and not-yet-certified-for-Mavericks SuperDuper - backing up the Recovery HD partition as well as the data partition. Hence my recommendation.

Cheers!

Anybody know if the 828 bios file is fixed for the mirror link in the wiki? I try to go directly to the source site, but I get a page saying the hidden service isn't reachable. I just received my board today and I'd like to get rolling on my install.

I just got my board last week and still have the file if your intrested.

Are these boards for real or what?  Can they successfully run 10.9 Mavericks?

I set mine up last week and it was so easy the only hiccup I had today was I installed Logitech drivers for my mouse and for some reason it would not boot up again. I had to reinstall everything again and I won't make that mistake again.

I just got my board last week and still have the file if your intrested.

I set mine up last week and it was so easy the only hiccup I had today was I installed Logitech drivers for my mouse and for some reason it would not boot up again. I had to reinstall everything again and I won't make that mistake again.

That'd be great. I'll PM you my email. Thanks!

EDIT: Big thanks, Chad. Rolling my fusion drive and then my install should be under way.

EDIT 2: Up and running. GTX 690 appears to be running OOB. Still need to get a wifi/bluetooth card. Sound is working fine (I have original Soundsticks that used USB). Have my Time Machine backup restoring now.