OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Guys you are missing the point with this project. We don't want to be at the mercy of hardware manufacturers on changing components on a whim. If this is a success you will see some great supporting hardware to come.

Yes, it has been a hard journey. But a lot has been learned on the way.

We don't want to be dependent on Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Asrock etc.

We want to push the envelope.

We want people to able to design/build there own systems.

• Like 6

The QUO website is terrible.

If you've worked all these months on the custom BIOS, please please include the ability to boot in Target Disk Mode like real Macs. This is one of the very best ideas that Apple ever implemented. The lack of Target Disk Mode is a huge hassle on all hackintosh, so PLEASE write Target Disk Mode boot into your custom BIOS. If you do, you'll sell 10x more of these motherboards.

Yep - but that extra coding cant be for free. If they put too much work on it, it may get to expensive.

I think they didnt buy / let build ten thousends of mainboards / order, so there benefit isnt as much as the benefit of mainboard companys / board.

• Like 1

What about things like overclocking? Will it have suitable options (and heatsinks for the parts that need it) for that? What about Win8 and secure boot support?

Good that you included FireWire on it, it's becoming rare on other motherboards.

just think why projects like coreboot does not have big success, because developers are not working on same project, just imagine how would be to get the majority of osx86 developers to work on this one... <cut> ... and more then that everything we add/change in firmware will be open source!

From my point of view the fun just starts...

+1000 :)

Open source is the way to go, knowledge should be shared.

A great book upon this subject: "After the software wars" by Keith Curtis

• Like 1

The funnest part of hackintoshing is getting it to work.

This mobo takes that away.

Some people are hardware guys, some people are software guys. I am way stronger n hardware than I am software, mostly because I have lagged so far behind in my programming skills. To have a motherboard that is as close to possible of working with whichever OS I want right outta the box means less time, for me, futzing with kext files, flashing Mac roms onto my PC GPU, etc., etc. I get far more enjoyment out of hardware hacking than software hacking. I know there are people like me, and there are people who are the opposite of me.

I think that this is a great OPTION for those that want to go that route. If you want to do everything from scratch, then by all means - have at it! Nobody is saying that this is the only option... hell, I haven't even heard anyone say this is the best option. But I sure have heard a lot of people say how bad this is. I don't get it. How is another option bad?

The point of this forum (or so I think) is to create an environment to be supportive of people who are making hackintoshes. Personally, even if I dont like or even agree with something or someone, if it benefits the community as a whole, then they will get my FULL support. I try to see past what I want and hopefully encourage others to do what they want with help, tips, advice, or the occasional "whaaaaaa???".

I also like to take four wheel drive rigs and torture them on boulders, and read big long books by obscure foreign authors - all for fun. Fun is what you make it. I don't think anyone or anything can take fun away from you - that's what someone does to themselves.

• Like 8

Awesome. Can't wait to see them available in Europe to buy from a local reseller.

Will they be in different PCB colors or just black? (i love black though)

Thanks in advance and great work, really :)

Would all the kexts be vanilla except for audio or would there have to be some modified kexts like now for ML 10.8.2 for a few PC's and Laptops out there such as AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Would the UEFI be as close to or nearly the same as the APple EFI for this MOBO?

Would a DSDT/SSDT still be needed?

It's almost looking like the future of the Mac Pro may have meet its fate and would like a MOBO like this as an alternate solution.

Thanks

Great project! For those who say it takes fun out of hackintoshing or can build and source compatible parts on their own, they are right....but--WHY DOES EVERYONE ACT LIKE YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE HACKINTOSH!? Don't you see possibility you can have your cake and eat it too? This gives a perfect platform for a smaller "MacMini killer" media PC where you don't have room in the case for add on everything that don't work otb, and have it fit in small space by TV, and is PITA to have to work on in ultra compact case. I love tinkering with my hackintosh, but when it's movie time and the popcorn is fresh made and I fire up PLEX, I want it to work and not have to start unhooking stuff behind the TV to troubleshoot while popcorn gets cold and I explain to everyone how it worked before they came over to watch a movie. Also need one always working to help fix the others :) I want this! First mobo that make me consider buying a CPU with iGPU built into it and opens up some cool new possibilities for a build that is in many ways the opposite of what I'm accustomed to, but getting it won't cause my existing hack to unbuild it's self, or change what I love about it. So I say, hack 'em all! QUO's, laptops, netbooks, ultrabooks, convertible tablet thingys, Rasberry Pi's, Commodore's, Arduino's, Surfaces, microwaves, and the biggest baddest desktop you can afford with a big case to fill with all it's swag. Let some be challenging or even senseless, and others "just work". How much of one or the other you have is entirely up to you, and that is the point!

*note-many of the things mentioned above cannot run any Apple OS at this time, maybe someday though!*

• Like 5

If i am understanding it correctly, that board will be mATX, right?

Is it in your plans to produce a full ATX board, with lots of PCI-e, SATA, RAM slots and room for bigger cards? And what about LGA 2011 (which afaik will continue to be supported by Haswell CPUs)?

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...

It's obvious people are really excited about this motherboard. So am I. But I'm also really excited about those computer cases on your site! Sexy sexy times. The LifeQ especially is a sexy minimalist dream come true. I think you guys could do well selling computer cases as well.

I've been following this discussion and the website updates and I have a few thoughts:

1) The premise of this project is fantastic! An open-source type motherboard with multi-OS support? Highly commendable. For those who enjoy the challenge of a hackintosh (this is me included here), definitely don't spoil it for others! Heck, after three challenging builds under my belt, I wouldn't be totally against one easy one! :D

2) The overall aesthetics of the motherboard are just sublime. This monochromatic motherboard is (for me at least) a G5/Mac Pro modders dream. I've been searching for a sleek board like this for some time, and honestly might just drop the cash on aesthetics alone.

3) Anyone complaining at the price should take into consideration three things. One, this is a START-UP venture. If you want prices reflective of bigger manufacturing/volume, there are dozens of other brands to buy. Two, this board offers excellent features, at perhaps a $10-15 premium over other comparable boards (i.e. not that much really). Three, you are getting a board that is fully compatible with OSX, from what seems to be a team dedicated to supporting the community. Case closed?

4) Now, the only concern I have is the following; Apple. So far, the hackintosh community has not taken many mac users away simply because many people aren't willing to get as involved with their hardware as a hackintosh needs. The three Apple fanatics that I know in real life, marvel at the hacks I build (and the cost), but they don't want to worry about updates breaking audio, kernel panics and the like. The easier it is for people to build hackintoshes, I believe the more we'll see pushback from Apple. I'm not trying to be a nay-sayer or predict doom and gloom - I really hope I'm wrong. Apple has yet to go after people tinkering in their garages, but I can't help but fear that something as professionally presented as the Quo motherboard won't push the wrong buttons in Cupertino...

Either way, I wish the Quo team all the best with their adventure!

(Edited grammar)

Edited by WhatTheTech
  • Like 2

Say nothing about FakeSMC?

If it still needed then how can you say "compatible with OSX"?

For me HackOSX can be installed on most computers.

Agreed.

Does it implement an ACPI SMC device in the hardware or in the firmware?