OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I did not add any * wildcard and would've expected a list of what can be deleted, or at the very least a warning "This will delete all entries - are you sure (y/n)?" Whoever was/ is responsible for this UEFI shell code is - irresponsible ..

that would be intel.

Chameleon and Clover work mighty fine on all sorts of hacks. I hope the OZ coders (Ozmosis & HermitCrab?) manage to incorporate more of the Chameleon GUI features into theirs ..

don't hold out i explained the reasoning already,

Hey BugsB - I see you are using an apple display. Is your keyboard plugged into the display, or directly into a port on the mobo? I experienced similar issues until I plugged the keyboard directly. 

directly. I don't like USB hubs in general - too many probs. Thanks.

"Methods used for launching UEFI shell depend on the manufacturer and model of the system motherboard"

...so, are we to blame the mother(intel) for the actions of the child(manufacturer)? ...poor mommy :smoke:

as to be expected, obviously nobody's perfect - not even Intel .. there's always room for improvement. Otherwise none of us would post into this forum, any forum, walk this planet.

Just want to say, HD 7870 card is working great in my machine without any modification.

I'm using the HDMI output for video and audio.

Set in bios "Init Display" and "Integrated Graphics" to auto.

Have:

Z77MX-QUO-AOS with 820M

i7-3770 CPU

Mac OSX 10.9

2x8GB Crucial Ballistix

XFX HD 7870 Black Edition

Only the virtualization setting in bios is not working.

Setting it to enabled, system stays loading with the gray screen.

I think, this issue is already known.

Only the virtualization setting in bios is not working.

Setting it to enabled, system stays loading with the gray screen.

I think, this issue is already known.

That is known bug, but to be clear only VT-d cannot be enabled, you can enable VT-x and use virtualization software!

• Like 1

Hello,

I have the following setup:

Z77MX QUO AOS with 816M

i7-3770K

32GB Corsair Dominator

Samsung 840Pro 512GB

EVGA GeForce GTX Titan

OS X 10.9

All is well.

1. But when I install the new firmware (820M), the first Thunderbolt port does not work. With the version "816M" both Thunderbolt ports are ok.

2. Is it possible to overclock the processor better? In the BIOS, everything is to be grayed out.

akindy,

I have not tested with Windows 7; however, I had no issues with an UEFI install of Windows 8 and the GTX760 listed in my signature. Im currently connected via a DVI-D Dual Link.

Is you do a UEFI install of Windows 7?

I just did a clean install of Windows 8, confirmed in msinfo32 that it's a UEFI install, but I'm still getting a conflict between the integrated graphics and my GTX 760:

I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF Xeon® processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port - 0151

I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Lanceomni, which version of the BIOS are you running? The latest I found was 816M, but I've noticed some people referring to the 820M version. I'll try that now, but I'm not super hopeful that it'll get my graphics card working in Windows. Has anyone run into this issue?

When I hit Del to go into the BIOS, sometimes after a few seconds, the BIOS top bar starts flashing blue and red and all the values for the options disappear. I've reflashed the BIOS going back to 801M and then back to 816M and 820M and it appears to happen with the later BIOSes. Is anyone else getting this problem?

Thanks @apfel_nico, just downloaded and updated to 820M.

Still having the issue with my GTX 760. Disabling the HD4000 in BIOS just causes the computer to boot to Windows, then no video after the 'loading' screen. Same resource conflict listed in msinfo32.

Windows 8 will boot with my DVI cable connected to the GTX 760, show the loading screen, then go to a black screen. Mac OS X loads no problem with the DVI cable connected to the GPU.

Edit: I guess what I'm really looking for is a more comprehensive source of information than this forum. There's a lot of good info in here, but very little of it seems to apply to my situation.

Edit 2: From what I can tell, my Mac install will boot and output video with my GTX760 connected, but it's not actually using it for processing (relatively low Geekbench score)

Follow-up: Is there a list graphics cards that Ozmosis is built to work with? I'd be up for returning the GTX 760 in favor of something that is supported.

Hello,

I have updated my BIOS from M801 to M820 successful. Then I installed Mavericks from the appstore without any issues. I have only to fix iMessage (audio works fine without distortion) and set my BaseBoardSerial again to 17 letters.

But I have one problem with my sleep mode. I'm using a Dell 2408 WFP with HDMI cable from amazon. If I wake up my system, the monitor remains black but if I switch the source to DVI and then back to HDMI I get the screen and everything is okay. This works under Mountain Lion without any problems before. Is there any solution for this problem?

Edit: I guess what I'm really looking for is a more comprehensive source of information than this forum. There's a lot of good info in here, but very little of it seems to apply to my situation.

Edit 2: From what I can tell, my Mac install will boot and output video with my GTX760 connected, but it's not actually using it for processing (relatively low Geekbench score)

At first you need to know what you want to do with your computer, you want multiple monitor setup?

You want to use just your discrete gfx card?

You will get low Geekbench score on multiple monitor setup b/c geekbench will not bench your discreet gfx card but only your built in card.

If you want big numbers use just discrete gfx card.

Seems you problem is releted with your model only, since other GTX 760 models from other vendors then Gigabyte seems to work.

Notice the "seems", that is not a certitute.

… something like an ASUS P9X79 WS (Full size video card+ 5x PCI-e x16).

No. Not full speed 16lane. Max 2x 16lane, if not more Cards needed. ;-)

4 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8 or quad x8, black+blue)

2 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x4 mode, white)

You're right, with this board you have more options.

But:

I have the QUO. And so am very pleased. I use the two Thunderbolt ports "Promise Pegasus R6" and "3D Studio BMD Ultra". The "GTX TITAN" is enough for 1080p DaVinci Resolve. Space for a second graphics card would still exist. All the best.

When I hit Del to go into the BIOS, sometimes after a few seconds, the BIOS top bar starts flashing blue and red and all the values for the options disappear. I've reflashed the BIOS going back to 801M and then back to 816M and 820M and it appears to happen with the later BIOSes. Is anyone else getting this problem?

It looks as though this problem occurs when I have 2 screens connected, one DVI-D and the other HDMI, at the time I boot and go into the BIOS.

It looks as though this problem occurs when I have 2 screens connected, one DVI-D and the other HDMI, at the time I boot and go into the BIOS.

Your signature/post does not reflect what monitors are used so no idea what advice to give...

But, still I would do my best, the onboard DVI port even is Dual Link DVI as pinout in reality is Single Link, so max resolution supported is 1920x1200 same for HDMI port.

If you want to connect 2k monitor use one of the thunderbolt mdp ports.

Your signature/post does not reflect what monitors are used so no idea what advice to give...

But, still I would do my best, the onboard DVI port even is Dual Link DVI as pinout in reality is Single Link, so max resolution supported is 1920x1200 same for HDMI port.

If you want to connect 2k monitor use one of the thunderbolt mdp ports.

Thanks, TK. Sig updated. The Samsung is at max resolution then.  It looks as though when I try the Sapphire 5770, it is not getting the framebuffer it needs for dual DVI-D - vervet I think it needs. I can run it with one screen OK, but with 2 the pin wheel at startup just turns forever.

@BugsB Could it be that your keyboard is faulty? I have no such problems entering either Setup (DEL) or the Boot Menu (F12). And Setup Prompt Timeout is set to 0 here. Also Startup Disk PrefPane works just fine here.

I also found that I had to plug my USB keyboard into the front of my tower (which was connected directly to the mobo).  Sometimes the BIOS just wouldn't find the USB keyboard in time if I plugged it into the back (USB 3.0 or 2.0).  Quite strange.

Hopefully I am speaking for the silent majority...

Thanks Lanceomni for the instructions I was able to make a bootable USB copy of 10.9. However it looks like upgrading the BIOS to 820m did the trick. After updating the BIOS I booted back into 10.8.5 and clicked on the auto 10.9 installer just to see what difference 820m would make and it worked like a charm! The auto installer went through the full installation with 2 reboots and loaded 10.9 without a hitch and not require me to resetup my Apple account or reload applications.  I applied the King's 10.9 audio patch and it works with no audio distortion. The sleep function works with the hard drives shutting down. I still need to patch the system serial for Imessage.  The only minor issues are the same ones I have always had with 10.8.4, 10.8.5, the Symbios reports the system as a "MAC Pro (early 2008)" and the TB Hardware is not detected in the system report (have not tested functionality). So overall I could not be more pleased with the effortless upgrade to 10.9. Thanks to Hermit Crab Labs, the King and QUO for developing a superior solution.

I just wanted to add that my thunderbolt wasn't detected either.  But my 27in cinema display worked great, just as a display only.  No firewire/ethernet/USB.  I didn't try to daisy chain 2 together but I'd imagine it wouldn't work.

Follow-up: Is there a list graphics cards that Ozmosis is built to work with? I'd be up for returning the GTX 760 in favor of something that is supported.

In response to your PM, give this a try:

• Create a clean Mavericks install flash drive
    • Use Disk Utility to erase an 8GB or greater flash drive
    • Download the Mavericks Installer from the AppStore
    • Assuming the installer has completed and is in tour Applications folder and that the newly formatted flash drive is labeled "Untitled" and is mounted as "Untitled" in /dev/volumes (confirm by checking disk utility, run the following in terminal:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction
  • Create a Firmware/Patch flash drive
    • Format a second flash drive FAT32 and label it firmware
    • Copy the latest firmware to the flash drive
    • Compare checksum for consistency. Open a terminal window and type the following (replace INSERTFIRMWARENAME.ROM with the actual filename). Compare the notes to the checksum provided.:

mds /Volumes/firmware/INSERTFIRMWARENAME.ROM
  • Prepare for installation
    • Remove all non-essential components, including your GTX760. System should be CPU, RAM, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, and motherboard speaker (Front Panel Header). *Leave your hard drive unplugged for now
    • Use DVI cable for monitor connection (Monitors with resolutions higher than 1920x1200 require connection via direct thunderbolt or thunderbolt to DVI-D Dual Link (Apple MB571Z/A). The standard DVI Single Link adapter has the previously discussed resolution limitations.)
    • Your hard drive will be formatted. Ensure that you have backup up anything that you need

• Flash your firmware
    • Plug your firmware flash drive in
    • Start your computer and enter the BIOS using the del key
    • Select Q-Flash
    • Select the desired firmware
    • Upon completion, system should reboot twice
    • On the second startup, you should be presented with the built-in shell (Only if you followed the previous step and have not connected your hard drive.) At the shell prompt type the following to confirm your firmware flash was successful:

bdmesg -b
    • Now restart and enter the BIOS.
    • On startup, press the DELETE key to enter the BIOS. Do the only the following:
      • Restore Optimized Defaults
      • If you have 1600 memory modules, you may adjust the Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) settings

• Install OSX Mavericks
    • Remove your firmware flash drive
    • Plug in your hard drive
    • Plug in your Mavericks installer flash drive
    • Start your system and press F12 during the start-up splash
    • Select UEFI:Install OS X Mavericks
    • Select Disk Utility and prepare your hard drive
      • If you are using a single hard drive for OSX and Windows, create two partitions with the desired allocations. Both partitions need to be HFS+ Journaled. Do not select FAT32 for the windows partition. This is necessary for a UEFI Windows install. Adding a FAT32 or NTFS partition to a GUID Partition Table will create a Hybrid GPT. This will prevent a UEFI Windows install
      • Select your hard drive from the left palette Select the "Partition" tab
      • Under Partition Layout select the number of partitions. For a UEFI Windows install, Windows can reside on an adequately sized partition that is located anywhere on the drive (i.e., first, last, or anywhere in the middle)
      • Name your partitions and select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" for each partition
      • Select Options and confirm GUID Partition Table
      • Format and close out of Disk Utility
  • Select your desired partition and install
  • Check this thread for any issues with the latest updates
  • Run Software Update.
  • Patch Audio
    • Download PatchALC892 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrhqpr74e44etqc/PatchALC892.zip)
    • Unzip and place the PatchALC892 folder in the root of your install partition
    • Run the following in Terminal. Press enter after every line:

sudo -s
      cd /PatchALC892/109
      ./PatchALC892.sh

• Restart and confirm working audio. (Certain updates will overwrite the patched file. You will loose audio and will need to run the patch again.)

• Backup your system (your choice of method)
  • Install Discrete Graphics
    • In terminal, type the following to enable Verbose by default:

sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
    • With the system powered down, Install your GTX760
    • Disconnect your DVI cable from the motherboard and connect to the GTX760
    • Start up
      • If you start up and it works fine, you should be fine. You can use the stock drivers or try the CUDA drivers from: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads I can confirm 5.5.28 drivers work fine on my GTX760
      • If it hangs on a certain line, please respond with the lines it hangs on
      • If the screen goes blank as it loads OSX, move to step 5
    • Enter the BIOS and change: Init Display Graphics to IGPU and Integrated Graphics to Enabled
    • If that does not work, enter your BIOS and select Load Optimized Defaults
    • Connect your Monitor to the motherboard via DVI and boot into OSX
    • Get Darwin Dumper from: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282794-darwindumper/ Run it and post your results.
  • Install Windows
    1. If you have corrected your issue with the GTX760, you can leave it in. Else, connect directly to the motherboard during initial install.
    2. Place the Windows install disk in your optical drive
    3. Start your system and press F12 during startup. Select the windows installer option that has the UEFI: prefix.
    4. If you followed the previous directions, your windows partition should be available for install. Else, it will give you an error. Nothing else special is needed to complete your UEFI install.
  • Like 1

Anyone know how to increase the RAM speed from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz?  My ram is rated at 1600 and I've tried every profile, and even tried to force it to 1600Mhz but it never changes :/  OS X + Windows both report 1333Mhz.  I'm using: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600

CPU-Z recognizes different profiles, see here: http://cl.ly/image/032c2X1w2B04

Thx!

Anyone know how to increase the RAM speed from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz?  My ram is rated at 1600 and I've tried every profile, and even tried to force it to 1600Mhz but it never changes :/  OS X + Windows both report 1333Mhz.  I'm using: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 8GB Single DDR3-1600

CPU-Z recognizes different profiles, see here: http://cl.ly/image/032c2X1w2B04

Thx!

See 4.8.2 above.

Select Profile1 from the XMP setting in BIOS.

Thanks, TK. Sig updated. The Samsung is at max resolution then.  It looks as though when I try the Sapphire 5770, it is not getting the framebuffer it needs for dual DVI-D - vervet I think it needs. I can run it with one screen OK, but with 2 the pin wheel at startup just turns forever.

That is your specific gfx card fault for not matching the framebufer design on ports, to get it working you will need to patch the framebufer, just buying a model that in theory is supported(as model) does not mean it will work 100%.

As you found on hard way your ATI card does not match the reference design....

LE I see what u mean , well some will say Hoolock is better.

LLE. Seems 820M is not so good, I would advice to skip it for now.

• Like 1

See 4.8.2 above.

Select Profile1 from the XMP setting in BIOS.

I think I chose every combination you could.  I tried Profile1, Profile2, and even the manual setting so it would say 1600Mhz.  Then I did save + reboot and Windows + OS X still report 1333Mhz.  Even the BIOS after a reboot says 1333Mhz on the first page :/

Anyone having issues with a EVGA GeForce 560 Ti?  I'm using 3 monitors (1 in Integrated, 2 In the 560) and I've been getting random lockups, but generally it's only once every few days.  Or I'll come back to my machine after the weekend and it will be frozen (but the mouse will move around).  Curious if anyone has had success with it.  My 670 (from another machine) works great, just been trying out the 560.

I think I chose every combination you could.  I tried Profile1, Profile2, and even the manual setting so it would say 1600Mhz.  Then I did save + reboot and Windows + OS X still report 1333Mhz.  Even the BIOS after a reboot says 1333Mhz on the first page :/

Anyone having issues with a EVGA GeForce 560 Ti?  I'm using 3 monitors (1 in Integrated, 2 In the 560) and I've been getting random lockups, but generally it's only once every few days.  Or I'll come back to my machine after the weekend and it will be frozen (but the mouse will move around).  Curious if anyone has had success with it.  My 670 (from another machine) works great, just been trying out the 560.

Could you provide the exact model for the memory in your signature?

That is your specific gfx card fault for not matching the framebufer design on ports, to get it working you will need to patch the framebufer, just buying a model that in theory is supported(as model) does not mean it will work 100%.

As you found on hard way your ATI card does not match the reference design....

LE I see what u mean , well some will say Hoolock is better.

LLE. Seems 820M is not so good, I would advice to skip it for now.

I dumped the DSDT, inserted the patch to set the framebuffer name and popped it in the load direrctory. That's fixed the problem with 2 screens on the 5770. Thanks for your help. Is it worth dropping back to 816M for now?

It also fixed the problem of not detecting the 5770 if the BIOS was Auto, Auto for First Display and Internal Graphics, also sleep not working with the 5770 in, the flashing colour BIOS problem and my tea tastes better too.