OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hmm. Guess I spoke too soon.

Audio patched perfectly fine and all seemed to work, but hadn't tested sleep. Turns out sleep doesn't work. Worked fine under ML. Was running on 801M. Updated to 820M, still same issue, screen goes off, power LED and fans remain on.

Specs: i5 3570K, MSI 670GTX.

Any suggestions?

Well its the windows key not alt

ie

win + v = verbose mode

win + x = safe mode

win + s = single user mode

not sure why home key isnt working, but you can always use F12 boot manager to select which os to boot, or use startup disk selector in os x to set the boot volume.

I am referring to

OZ Boot Manager GUI

Verbose: When in Boot Selection Alt + V (fixing bug please just tap V once) and then make your choice.

straight from https://mrq7bqbfgwmjzd5m.tor2web.org/ ....

You are referring to a DIFFERENT verbose mode, not the one from OZ Boot Manager but the one from OS X ..

And apart from that, what you write does not even work w/ OS X booted on the QUO AOS .. You don't have a sig (as supposed, tss tss) so I take for granted that you don't even own a QUO AOS, and neither can nor have tried yourself before posting here.. ;)

Needless to say, any of the key combos need to be pressed BEFORE OS X starts .. that's how it is on a real Mac. However, thanks to either the QUO AOS board or the OZ BIOSes being buggy, keeping keys pressed stalls the booting: either the screen remains black, or the QUO restarts ..

That applies to ANY keys pressed and held down: DEL, F12, END, HOME ...

It's been beyond a nuisance to reach either BIOS setup via DEL or BIOS boot menu via F12: when not pressed only ONCE in the very right moment, either boot stalls, or the default OS loads .. so cumbersome ..

The work-around is to increase the wait time in BIOS from 1 to 4. So when the slogan "Q.UO | your comuter .." appears on the screen, there now is a about 75% chance that by pressing a key I actually do get to either BIOS setup or BIOS boot menu.

I tried several USB keyboards in several different of the board's USB ports --> no change, buggy as hell...

The 820M H3A BIOS update did not change that awkwardness at all ..

And the OZ bootloader is not working.

So for any pointers that will dulcify my pre-OS boot experience here, PLEASE SHARE THEM MY WAY!

Thanks,

bugs

@BugsB STOP messing with the BIOS and you will have a stable computer, it shouldn't be your daily toy and if you screw it up is only your fault, sorry.

UEFI BIOS is not what you are used with, any small change you made and is enough to screw it.

And bs0d is right is windows key(was alt), and trust me he does not need the sig, try to let emotions behind, think before posting, yes there are bugs, that is normal, time will fix all.

If you dont like, dont use. Simple, you have plenty other options...

• Like 1

HD4000 and resolutions higher than 1920x1200

Is anyone running resolutions higher than 1920x1200 using a Thunderbolt to DVI-D Dual Link adapter? It should be supported; however, I have not seen anyone discuss.

Writing to NVRAM

A while back, I wrote to NVRAM to boot verbose automatically. Works great.

sudo nvram boot-args="-v" 

I use desecrate graphics to power an ultra wide monitor. It works great!

I was considering if it would be capable to apply 2560x1080 resolution using the Graphics Mode boot argument to correct the distorted view on boot. I tried:

sudo nvram boot-args="\"Graphics Mode\"=\"2560x1080x32@60\""

I receive a blank screen after selecting the volume to boot. I attempted to see if is a way to clear nvram variables via the UEFI Shell. Seems that the nvram tool in the UEFI shell is limited. More likely is that I am limited in an understanding of how to use this tool. Checked the help page as well as a UEFI shell whitepaper.

Since reflashing the BIOS clears these variables, I did so and it corrected the issue. Ill give it a few more goes.

From the UEFI Shell, I was able to use dmpstore to clear the variable. *Thanks XyZ

dmpstore -d boot-args
  • Like 1

Did you set your BIOS settings to integrated graphics only? I'm getting some graphics corruption as well

My BIOS was set to init IGPU and IGPU was set to enabled. The TB display running on integrated was becoming more of a hassle than it was worth. The 27" Dell Ultrasharp monitor got a pretty steep discount recently and I was able to pick one up on Amazon for $540. It seems to be back up a bit now, unfortunately.

@BugsB STOP messing with the BIOS and you will have a stable computer, it shouldn't be your daily toy and if you screw it up is only your fault, sorry.

UEFI BIOS is not what you are used with, any small change you made and is enough to screw it.

"The basket has a handle. If you carry the basket by the handle and it breaks, that's your fault. The handle was not made to carry the basket"

King, come on, please get back down to reality .. if the BIOS update did not overwrite my settings, I WOULD NOT NEED TO HAVE TO GO BACK INTO THE BIOS !!

And yes, it needs to be accsessible ON FIRST TRY, not having to reboot a couple of time .. but thanks for at least acknowledging the bugs ..

And bs0d is right is windows key (was alt)

why don't they correct that on their homepage? For how long has it not been ALT? They just changed on that page from 816 to 820, but were not able to change a wrong instructions? Am I really dealing with professionals? More and more I need to say: unfortunately not ..

and trust me he does not need the sig, try to let emotions behind, think before posting, yes there are bugs, that is normal, time will fix all.

If you dont like, dont use. Simple, you have plenty other options...

That's totally not what it's about. It's mainly about professionalism, King .. when I look at the QUO web-page with dead sections and links FOR MONTHS --> http://quocomputer.com/projectq/technical/ even though I pointed that out to them via email weeks ago (and so did others), how professional is that? How long does it take to update at least the basic sections of a website?

The PA/PR of this project deserves maybe 1 *. I can tell its lots of young people with very or no experience in regards to marketing, and customer support. Comments like yours fit 100% into that, so thanks for your frankness.

:poster_oops:

just FYI: fine with me .. whoever has the urge to hide behind anonymity may do so .. ;)

HD4000 and resolutions higher than 1920x1200

Is anyone running resolutions higher than 1920x1200 using a Thunderbolt to DVI-D Dual Link adapter? It should be supported; however, I have not seen anyone discuss.

Writing to NVRAM

A while back, I wrote to NVRAM to boot verbose automatically. Works great.

sudo nvram boot-args="-v" 
I use desecrate graphics to power an ultra wide monitor. It works great!

I was considering if it would be capable to apply 2560x1080 resolution using the Graphics Mode boot argument to correct the distorted view on boot. I tried:

sudo nvram boot-args="\"Graphics Mode\"=\"2560x1080x32@60\""
I receive a blank screen after selecting the volume to boot. I attempted to see if is a way to clear nvram variables via the UEFI Shell. Seems that the nvram tool in the UEFI shell is limited. More likely is that I am limited in an understanding of how to use this tool. Checked the help page as well as a UEFI shell whitepaper.

Since reflashing the BIOS clears these variables, I did so and it corrected the issue. Ill give it a few more goes.

From the UEFI Shell, I was able to use dmpstore to clear the variable. *Thanks XyZ

dmpstore -d boot-args

aha, getting closer ..

At some point when booted into OS X I wanted to see if the Startup Volume sys pane works ..

I guess that NVRAM entry might be blocking the OZ Boot Menu.

So I ran

dmpstore -d boot-args

resulting msg: something like "entry boot-args not found"

so I ran

dmpstore -d

Now the QUO does not boot anymore. It starts, black screen, restarts.

Every 8th or so restart I see some screen w/ a grey Q + a mouse pointer, or a line in the bottom offering me F12, DEL, END for Q-Flash, but before I can tap any key --> reboot

Obviously not even the double BIOS feature is implemented correctly ..

buggy buggy buggy buggy ..

So what now? CMOS (or whatever that's now called in UEFIverse) reset?

"The basket has a handle. If you carry the basket by the handle and it breaks, that's your fault. The handle was not made to carry the basket"......  is that ...

Gandhi ?                       :smoke:

no, that's robertx .. :hysterical:

We all use "nicks" and you never truly know who someone is, that is why it pays to be kind to everyone..

at least you are kind enough to have a sig ..

CMOS reset as per e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf and from what I know myself (pull power and all other chords/ remove battery/ bridge CMOS jumpers/ hold power button down for a minute/ push battery back in/ power back up0 did NOT help at all ..

There is no instructions in the Pdf how to boot via the 2nd BIOS.

Anybody here know, or do I have to write an email to quo

these instrus for a Asrock Z77 did NOT work:

I finally got it working. What I did was

1. Unplug the PC from the wall

2. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds

3. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes

4. Put it back in

5. Insert the USB with the EXTRACTED bios into a fat32 USB. WITH NO FOLDER JUST THE FILE

6. Then pressed the clear CMOS button on the back of the motherboard

7. After that it started installing, then it restarted several times.

The e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf only states "Dual BIOS READY" - but not that the backup BIOS is actually implemented .. I guess it's not ..

Considering what some of us know about this board, here are Gigabyte's instructions for invoking the backup BIOS.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
4. The board will shut down.
5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

• Like 1

It's Phobos!' method should work. In my experience the jumper method has been hit or miss on a variety of boards with a recovery BIOS.

It sounds like you may have had a bad flash. Give the aforementioned method a few tries. After the stock firmware is restored. Re-flash with 820M, await the double restart, then enter the BIOS and select "Restore Optimized Defaults".

King, come on, please get back down to reality .. if the BIOS update did not overwrite my settings, I WOULD NOT NEED TO HAVE TO GO BACK INTO THE BIOS !!

And yes, it needs to be accsessible ON FIRST TRY, not having to reboot a couple of time .. but thanks for at least acknowledging the bugs ..

This BIOS has been tuned and tested before release, you do not need to make modifications to it, however, as I said before you are free to do whatever you like, with your 18 years of experience you know what you  doing and results will come in no time(and they did(first brick...)

Your settings for what?(LOL)

why don't they correct that on their homepage? For how long has it not been ALT? They just changed on that page from 816 to 820, but were not able to change a wrong instructions? Am I really dealing with professionals? More and more I need to say: unfortunately not ..

Yeah a bunch of unpro who lose time so that you and many others can be unhappy, Why you are not using tonycrap soft then? isnt that on your level of knowledge?

.. when I look at the QUO web-page with dead sections and links ....

If you have something with QUO go complain there not here.

aha, getting closer ..

At some point when booted into OS X I wanted to see if the Startup Volume sys pane works ..

I guess that NVRAM entry might be blocking the OZ Boot Menu.

So I ran

dmpstore -d boot-args

resulting msg: something like "entry boot-args not found"

so I ran

dmpstore -d

Now the QUO does not boot anymore. It starts, black screen, restarts.

Every 8th or so restart I see some screen w/ a grey Q + a mouse pointer, or a line in the bottom offering me F12, DEL, END for Q-Flash, but before I can tap any key --> reboot

Obviously not even the double BIOS feature is implemented correctly ..

So what now? CMOS (or whatever that's now called in UEFIverse) reset?

Proof of "you have no idea of what you are doing" and again is the board fault or developers fault for you killing your BIOS....

For now on you are on my ignore list, so do not bother to reply.

Considering what some of us know about this board, here are Gigabyte's instructions for invoking the backup BIOS.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.

2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.

3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)

4. The board will shut down.

5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.

6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

:thumbsup_anim:

In the meantime I had found these instrus metacrawling for "Gigabyte z77 motherboard dual bios recovery" at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316115-30-gigabyte-bios-hell, and yes, they do work.

Same moment I was back up, QUO support sent me the same instrus via email - THANK YOU!

GREAT! I sure don't enjoy being doubtful.

I'll see in a moment if now also the OZ Bootloader finally shows up here ..

kudos all the way across the Pacific to Rochester, NY ..

now honestly .. is that maybe something worth including 1. into e_Z77MX-QUO-AOS_1001.pdf and 2. onto the webpage? No? That would be too little hackintosh and too much lamers mainstream?

@ THe KiNG: you really don't get it, and sure did either not read my posts completely, or don't understand them, or do not WANT to understand them ..

So here a consolidated digest especially for you:

If the OZ Bootloader worked, I would not need F12 ..

If F12 always worked, I would not need to go into the BIOS to increase the timeframe to be able to ACCESS either, F12 and BIOS ..

If the BIOS did automatically detect/ clock/ time my RAM correctly, I WOULD NOT NEED TO GO INTO THE BIOS, either (I have to turn on XMP so it runs at the desired 1600 vs. 1300MHz. I have used the SAME RAM IN OTHER BOARDS, which DID clock it correctly right away @ 1600/ 8 8 8 24, vs. the QUO @ 1300 9 9 9 27) ..

If the Mavericks M820 had not also overwritten my SETTINGS (which I dare say it shouldn't after having applied HUNDREDS of BIOS updates in my life, and it's an exception that they also overwrite the CMOS or NVRAM), I WOULD NOT HAVE NEEDED TO GO BACK INTO THE BIOS to again correct the wrong memory auto-settings and increase the god-**** time-frame ..

Does rationaity finally make it through your stubborn "I don't wanna see therefore it's not true and you out there are full of BS" mentality?

My friend, I LOVE and HONOR and MORE THAN RESPECT your work, intelligence, ever-presence etc. in this community - so let my advice to you be: TAKE SOME TIME OFF! Jump in the car/ train/ airplance, and merge back into the country-side for a while - it looks as if a vacation could not hurt ..

Apart from that: do you REALLY want to maintain your remark that the sticky BIOS and F12 access is kind of a feature to keep dumbheads out of the BIOS? Really, king ...?

.. Now back to the technical aspects which are priority ..

just as information: after the Dual BIOS restore, the stock F2N BIOS has been reapplied, which I guess is how it's supped to be. As expected, not even Win 8.1 (installed with 816M BIOS loaded) will boot.

So now I'll re-apply the 820M BIOS, and report back if the OZ Boot Menu finally displays here. I WANT TO SEE THIS GHOSTLY BEING WITH MY VERY OWN EYES :)!

After 820M BIOS flash:

The main BIOS is corrupt. Restoring BIOS from dual BIOS backup

that processes and finishes, then back into the BIOS, again back to F2N ..

--> Q-Flash, 820M once more .. --> finally, back to 820M on BIOS 1, OS X boots via H3A ..

AHA!! Finally, PARTIAL success ..

On my ACD via DVI, same as before: black screen ..

When I plug in my HDMI monitor, same thing, black screen.

But now the NEXT step which I had done before suddenly produces an image (however very distorted and stretched far accross the screen) of volumes and their labels underneath, not really readable (extremely obfuscated).

FYI: usually both of these displays are plugged into the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 of my Optiplex which boots via Chameleon GUI, being displayed properly on BOTH displays ..

So next I boot w/ HDMI only --> same as on DVI display = black screen ..

I pull the HDMI plug, replug .. now I see only ONE big HD volume icon in correct proportions, with the volume label underneath cut off to the left and to the right ..

Too bad the crowned one has already forbidden me to go into the BIOS because a) it's so well-balanced and B) I'm too dumb to handle it anyway.. otherwise I would dare to ask if maybe there is a need to toggle some iGPU related settings (Legacy/ UEFI) etc, as it has been necessary for many others before [....]

I am getting tired of this project which is beyond the slightest shadow of a doubt still rather in an alpha state .. differentiating between HermitCrab Kitchen and the QUO AOS mobo itself which I think is AWESOME, esp. for its price ..

I can only encourage the OZ team to do their due homework by looking at the Chameleon code for the GUI .. understand it, then implement it into the OZ bootloader and into the H3A fw

I'll also post my findings into the Ozmosis bootloader posting and email it to QUO (even though the channels are shady, and I guess are supposed to be that way).

IN THE MEANTIME I WILL EXTRACT THE DSDT AND USE IT WITH ONE OF THE BOOTLOADERS THAT ACTUALLY OFFER A FULLY WORKING GUI = CHAMELEON OR CLOVER ..

see attachment, for those that want to spare themselves from being alpha-testers for pre-release enthusiasts and rather opt to go with the method that DOES work, backed up by a huge team of devs, vs. a small team ..

Thank you,

Bugs

PS: unless there is a way to default the OZ boot menu to load verbose right after BIOS post?

Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.820M.DSDT.ZIP

Its possible that you have to set the CSM boot mode to legacy only in the BIOS. See if that works. If not try UEFI only. Legacy only has fixed it on most of the high rez monitors i have had issues with.

g\

there is no such setting combo in the BIOS ..

BIOS/ BIOS Features:

CSM support: ENABLED/ DISABLED

Display Boot Option ROM Control: Legacy First/ Legacy Only/ UEFI First/ UEFI Only/ Disabled

Even w/ CSM support DISabled, Display Boot Option ROM Control can be set to Legacy First or Only ..

The Compatibility Support Module does not seem to influence if the the OZ boot menu is displayed or not from what I see; however toggling CSM to DISabled corrects the resolution or/and proportions so the Icon is actually SCALED correctly on my 30" ACD DVI, that's all.

Display Boot Option ROM Control: Legacy DOES display PARTS of the OZ boot menu on either, DVI and HDMI display, here. Only the OS X Icon - the Windows drive not visible. Booted last time via F12 right before the 820M BIOS Update ...

Bye Bye OZ .. gonna grant you some time to go back to wizardry school and learn some basics from good ole teacher Chameleon ..

Bye Bye OZ .. gonna grant you some time to go back to wizardry school and learn some basics from good ole teacher Chameleon ..

Good, and please stop spamming this thread with useless "information"

g\

• Like 1

Good, and please stop spamming this thread with useless "information"

g\

how informative a sentence you just added to this thread .. FYI, I consider your subjective remark useless spamming - go figure ..

@BugsB Could it be that your keyboard is faulty? I have no such problems entering either Setup (DEL) or the Boot Menu (F12). And Setup Prompt Timeout is set to 0 here. Also Startup Disk PrefPane works just fine here.

• Like 1

Hi modbin. Thanks for following my plight. I was experiencing this with ANY keyboard I tried ..

It turns out that after all I did (CMOS reset/ CMOS Battery/ restore BIOS/ re-apply 820M) the stick/ stall bug is GONE :) Hopefully the huge journey was worth it ..

I am currently reinstalling Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode (from my FAT32 MBR/ UEFI combo USB Flash Drive via Rufus) which stopped booting after the 820M BIOS update for Mavericks compatibility. Luckily I had not installed anything into it yet .. and this will be the last OZ BIOS I'll install until it has left alpha state ..

Once Win 8.1 is fully running I'll see one more time if 1. the OZ boot menu works and 2. both OS entries are displayed. Last chance for OZ here ..

Next then is Mavericks, if need be w/ Chameleon + extracted 820M DSDT ..

Thanks again for staying rational and being neutral.

@bugsb doing dmpstore -d on most uefi motherboard's will erase vital variables requiring you to reflash the board.

you say your an IT guy ... facts don't seem to be proving that.

@all , regarding Ozmosis GUI.

With the advent of Fast Boot modes, which can cause usb devices to not function until the OS is reached, ie Keyboard / Mouse

the concept of configuration and setting boot disks is shifting towards doing these in the OS.

so really the oz gui is not really useful in a modern world.

and it really only duplicates the function of F12 

@bugsb doing dmpstore -d on most uefi motherboard's will erase vital variables requiring you to reflash the board.

you say your an IT guy ... facts don't seem to be proving that.

oh really .. accdg. to your dubious definition, knowledge of an extremely specific command defines if one is an IT guy, or not .. go ask 10 people out here who also consider themselves IT guys, if a) they have EVER heard of dmpstore -d, and B) know what such command means, or does ..

I did not add any * wildcard and would've expected a list of what can be deleted, or at the very least a warning "This will delete all entries - are you sure (y/n)?" Whoever was/ is responsible for this UEFI shell code is - irresponsible ..

c'mon, don't give me bs, oh d, you can do better than that ..

re. graphical boot loader: let's say I set this comp up for somebody else - a user, a NON techy person that needs to run both, Windows and OS X and can't always run Win apps in Parallels or Fusion.. how does a regular user feel about the F12 boot menu?

Chameleon and Clover work mighty fine on all sorts of hacks. I hope the OZ coders (Ozmosis & HermitCrab?) manage to incorporate more of the Chameleon GUI features into theirs ..

Hopefully I am speaking for the silent majority...

Thanks Lanceomni for the instructions I was able to make a bootable USB copy of 10.9. However it looks like upgrading the BIOS to 820m did the trick. After updating the BIOS I booted back into 10.8.5 and clicked on the auto 10.9 installer just to see what difference 820m would make and it worked like a charm! The auto installer went through the full installation with 2 reboots and loaded 10.9 without a hitch and not require me to resetup my Apple account or reload applications.  I applied the King's 10.9 audio patch and it works with no audio distortion. The sleep function works with the hard drives shutting down. I still need to patch the system serial for Imessage.  The only minor issues are the same ones I have always had with 10.8.4, 10.8.5, the Symbios reports the system as a "MAC Pro (early 2008)" and the TB Hardware is not detected in the system report (have not tested functionality). So overall I could not be more pleased with the effortless upgrade to 10.9. Thanks to Hermit Crab Labs, the King and QUO for developing a superior solution.

• Like 2