OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Dunno why lately we disagree so much

Maybe because we are not focused enough on the topic itself

I agree with BugsB's last comment

THOSE THAT CONSIDER THEMSELVES PROs HERE

I can add that some of those guys tend to denigrate some other people simply because they are not 'PROs'

and those same 'PROs' tend to not respect the forum rules, as No Flaming or  Meaningless and useless posts

Guys, it is a real joy when there is a sharing of knowledge/experience and its goal is to provide a warm and tranquil atmosphere

so please (re)focus on the topic to no more deviate from

thank you guys  ^_^

cordially

• Like 2

That in mind, it would be great if in general there was less subjective speculation, but instead more link-supported input here to begin with, because diligent homework is a great basis for quality postings .. ;)

So then, yes, both of you are more then welcome to substantiate your opinions with links to comparative bench tests ..

I don't post benches or google for links, if you disagree with what i post you can look it up yourself. I have tested hd4000 myself on mbp and it is JUNK!

• Like 1

OMFG .. how lame is then what's been previously written, AND repeated in several posts, EVEN BY THOSE THAT CONSIDER THEMSELVES PROs HERE ..

To clear this up. On the Efi System Partition there is a Folder called EFI. So if you mount the ESP to /Volumes/EFI then the full path will be: /Volumes/EFI/EFI/QUO/ACPI/LOAD/DSDT.aml

Got it? In fact if you do mount the ESP instead of just speculating you will find the Folder layout already being created for you. But since this is the topic about the QUO motherboard you don't even have to deal with loading an extra DSDT at all. But you may want to put a SLIC.aml there if you plan to boot something else...

• Like 5

Has anyone successfully taken a hackintosh HD that uses Clover and legacy boot, and got it to boot on the QUO board?

I can create a a 10.8.4/5 system on the QUO, update to it 10.9 and it boots OK. I can't migrate data from my 10.8.4 hack as the versions don't match. If I migrate from hack to QUO before I upgrade to 10.9, on reboot, I just get a flash of the apple white screen, followed by a blue screen, usually followed by a blank screen. I migrate data, apps and other. I don't migrate system files.

My hack is based on a GA-P55M, so minimal changes were needed to make it work - DSDT, fakesmc, AppleHDA. I tried just partitioning the QUO HD and superdupering the disk across to avoid any partition table fudges, but that won't boot either - same symptons.

All disks are GUID.

Ok now that some dust has settled, as an update to my earlier post I am happy to report to the "non-pros" that applying the Mac mini 6.2 Symbios definition as described in post #438 by toren and/or STLVNUB to my I5-3570K / HD4000 QUO board resulted in the system reporting a "mac mini server" instead of a "Mac Pro (early 2008)". Doing the 17 digit serial number trick allowed Imessage to work. I still don't see Thunderbolt hardware in the system report but I currently don't have a way to check it's functionality. So with the 816m bios the system sleeps, has USB 3 and Firewire, loads updates, and runs applications directly from the Apple store without any issues. I am pleased with the QUO board and from a noob perspective I think it was money well spent for a bios based hacked system. Thanks to QUO, the King and all the others on this forum for the support.

Thanks for the final clarifications, modbin and joe75, VERY much appreciated! I just received the board last night - it's not even built into the case yet .. so consequently I am not able yet to mount the ESP etc ..

I have been trying to get as much information out of this and the OZbootloader thread as possible - and whenever I see contradictions by comparing posts and find them relevant, I inquire. I (and most others) need to for the largest part or at least somewhat rely on what's written here; therefore it's great that people like you and joe75 do take the time and finalize instructions by adding ALL details.

I corrected my post.

To clear this up. On the Efi System Partition there is a Folder called EFI. So if you mount the ESP to /Volumes/EFI then the full path will be: /Volumes/EFI/EFI/QUO/ACPI/LOAD/DSDT.aml

Got it? In fact if you do mount the ESP instead of just speculating you will find the Folder layout already being created for you. But since this is the topic about the QUO motherboard you don't even have to deal with loading an extra DSDT at all. But you may want to put a SLIC.aml there if you plan to boot something else...

• Like 1

That in mind, it would be great if in general there was less subjective speculation, but instead more link-supported input here to begin with, because diligent homework is a great basis for quality postings .. ;)

So then, yes, both of you are more then welcome to substantiate your opinions with links to comparative bench tests ..

I should have elaborated with regard to the intent of my last post.

Some people have a tasker/doer mentality while others are analytical/thinkers. There is nothing wrong with either type. When approached with a problem, some people jump head first into solving it while others tend to question the problem (i.e., Consider if the problem is moot to begin with. Should consider other related issues that should be corrected first)

Did the OP want to get the discrete graphics card working for valid reasons (e.g., for the fun of it) or did the OP assume a substantial increase in performance. Sometimes people hang on to antiquated tech because they paid an arm and a leg for it. They can't justify letting it sit and collect dust.

installing a graphics card shouldn't be this kind of problem for any board

I agree with your statement.

If I would build a computer and have to chose for low cost parts but this board and HD 5450 then for nothing in the world I wont get a cpu with HD4000, I would get a celeron or at best an i3 without built in graphics, or, if I would get the cpu with the HD4000 I wont get the HD5450 b/c is pointless, the performance increase is minimal and does not explain the money spent and headache to get it working since is not a good card for hack, this I think explain why I was suspicious...

From my pov HD4000 is not junk, as long it can drive my work display @ 1920x1200 and my tv @ 1920x1080  and serve me for daily basic, my HD5870 is collectig dust since I dont do games at all, also helps me save power. ;)

Exactly. Power, heat, simplicity. Consider your use.

I wouldn't see a problem in helping the OP as long as he/she understands the marginal differences between the two.

(videocardbenchmark.net would rank the HD4000 about twice as fast. All things considered, in a real world test, they are probably very similar. If Intel decides to beef up the drivers it could be an entirely different story.)

My Quo rocked up this week...

Downloaded the Z77MXQUOAS.H3A.816M.ROM file and confirmed it's MD5

I copied it to an ancient 512MB FAT32 USB stick I have here that I use for all my flashes and checksummed it again.

with no drives attached, I boot up and held down the "End" key

Flash utility appeared, so I saved the original ROM to the stick. (it was F2N)

I wrote the Z77MXQUOAS.H3A.816M.ROM file to the board and let it restart twice.

I then powered down and connected up my other USB stick that has ML installer on it.

Before I could even register what was going on, the Apple logo appeared then popped up the ML installer!

nice...

I consequently rebooted again with a 60GB SSD attached and installed ML...

That worked well, all is good except for messages.app and audio. TB works but is not live/hot swappable... peripherals must be plugged in at boot time... I haven't even sussed the forums if there's a fix yet... But I'm still pretty happy...

I downloaded 10.9 and applied installed that.  All good!

For testing, I even prepared a 10.9 disk on my MBAir via Thunderbolt (GoFlex) and plugged that into the Quo via SATA.  It boots and is what I'm using to type this message.

I'm happy...

I got legacy FW for my older ZFS storage, I got heaps of SATA ports for current ZFS storage and I got TB for future ZFS storage...

One happy camper here... 

• Like 3

All assembled with i7 3770K, 816M BIOS applied, Vanilla 10.8.5 boots (from external USB right now). Two One graphics related questions:

1. I am wondering why my 30" Apple Cinema Display connected via its DL-DVI-D connector is only powered with max. 1280 x 800 in OS X 10.8.5, even though it should be 1920 x 1200 accdg. to QUO AOS Pdf. I already tried several iGPU related BIOS settings to no avail. I guess the reason is that even though the DVI socket in the mobo looks like DL-DVI-D 24 + 1, it is in real only a DVI-D 2x9 + 1 port .. so only one resolution level of the ACD gets powered ..

[EDIT] officially answered as I assumed --> Apple Cinema Display (30-inch DVI) has 1280 x 800 as the maximum available resolution even though the optimum resolution for the display is 2560 x 1600

2. iGPU working max. RAM seems to be 512MB. When I choose the max. 1024MB in BIOS, I am encountered with a blue filled screen on restart, again with my 30" ACD connected via DVI (have not connected my HDMI TV screen yet). Is that blue screen behavior to be expected?

Thanks,

Bugs

Now I see that you didn't looked for an answer but for a way to irritate me.

Thanks.

You're welcome. :) 

No, King, seriously: I was really being sincere both in thinking you were related to Quo Computers, and in seeking information from you about a LGA1150 Quo board, based on my mistaken assumption that you were part of Quo's staff. It was an honest mistake, though: no harm meant.

All the best. 

Lost sound after apple update.  What's best way to fix?  Is there a Quo Specific How to anywhere?  Also looking for a 1394b X2 header to motherboard cable.  Any ideas where to find one?

Lost sound after apple update.  What's best way to fix?  Is there a Quo Specific How to anywhere?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/page-32?do=findComment&comment=1951293 (THe KiNG specific .. ;) )

Just a reminder

tech@quocomputer.com

thank you iztech. I found that what I assumed was correct on the Apple website and edited my posting along with adding the link to the Apple web-page. Eventually an 27" ACD will be connected via mDP, which should deliver its full 2560x1440. In case I still encounter low res or/and blue screen on 1024MB iGPU memory, I'll report.

Hey, awesome board, awesome bootloader :)

Finishing all my post here it is always best to do install without modifying flash files (limits possibility of introducing viruses) in regards to installing pcie cards in Quo MBs. Secondly, Thanks for comments re: analytical thinking and logical .aml solutions/ file modifications kexts etc. wide scope of solutions help to keep options on the table. Agree ATI card 5450 does run slow in comparison to Intel 4000 from original driver unmodified install and in my case the EAH 5450 was unstable in performance and lower resolution though did not lock up in my application Sony 40". Thank you one and all for your efforts especially with .aml comments a well deserved learning topical logic experience and will certainly keep for note reference.

• Like 1

Fixed the hang at the Windows Loading screen, I double checked the BIOS was set to "init display: igpu" before I realized I had my DVI cable plugged into the graphics card. Rebooted with it connected to the board's DVI port and I was able to get to the desktop and update my graphics drivers.

Now I'm getting a 'Code 12' error under Device Manager for my GeForce GTX 760:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I did the obvious thing to me, disable HD4000 in Windows first, then in the BIOS; neither fixed it. I've contacted NVIDIA and they've been unhelpful so far (reinstall the card? beta drivers?), anyone with the same issue? Suggestions?

Does anyone know if the source code to the firmware will ever be posted? Or are there guides on how to build your own firmware?  Developer myself - just curious how it all works!

Was going to fire up IDA Pro to reverse engineer it but wasn't sure if it's posted somewhere and I just missed it.

Thanks!

Is anyone else using an apple display with mini display port terminal (not thunderbolt) connected to the on-board thunderbolt port? If so, are you able to see the BIOS setup or the boot menu?

I can only see them if I hook up a second monitor to the on-board DVI connector and am trying to troubleshoot. I do not have discrete graphics, and my specs are as follow:

Quo Computer board

3770k CPU

32GB RAM (2 X this)

Os X 10.8.5 on a Samsung 840 SSD (disk0)

Win 7 on an Intel SSD

Apple Mini-Display Port connected to on-board TB

Dell display connected to DVI (only to troubleshoot, not part of my permanent setup)

I have the on-board graphics enabled (as opposed to auto) in the BIOS. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?