OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I contacted QUO saturday afternoon and talk with tech support, they ask me to verfify the memory using Ubuntu's memtest utility. They were very receptive and assured me that if my board was defective that they would replace it. I executed the memtest today and found out that one of my memory stick is defective. I am now returning the memory sticks for replacement.

Thanks to QUO for their support and keep up the good work.

• Like 1

I finally got 10.8.5 up and running and I'm using the Ozmosis 816M BIOS. The HD4000 graphics are working good (in Snow Leopard 10.6.8 it was semi-working). I'm trying to get my EVGA Geforce 680 Mac Edition Card working now. The driver is supposed to require 10.8.3 or later but yet the installer complains that it still wont work on Mountain Lion and that I need to upgrade my OS. Furthermore, I'm having problems getting the board to boot at all when the monitor is hooked up to the discreet card. It gives me 4 beeps(one long and 3 short beeps) and refuses to POST. Is there some trick to getting discreet graphics to work? If I set the Init Display to iGPU and the Integrated Graphics to Enabled, I can boot with the monitor plugged into the HD4000 and it does recognize the Nvidia card but thats about as far as I can get.....it seems a bit odd that the Mac Edition card is not easier to setup, the only reason I got it was specifically because it is supposed to be an officially supported card and I thought it would be less headache :P

• Like 1

Damn!

I see only bad thing about this board...

Remember most people that don't have issues probably don't post in here ;)  Mine has been running perfectly! Granted I'm running the 739M H3A version. Mountain Lion vanilla installed fine, I only had to do the audio patch from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].  I now have a 3 monitor machine using the built-in HD4000 (i7-3770K) with a GeForce 670.  The only thing that doesn't work is iMessage (but back to mac works fine heh).

Just as a test, after resetting the Init Display to iGPU and Integrated Graphics to Enabled in the BIOS, I booted into OSX with the HD4000. I popped the DVI cord off of the HD4000 port and onto my GTX680 Mac Edition port. Video immediately popped up, so the basic Nvidia driver on the system at least works. That still doesn't solve the problem of booting with it connected to the GTX680 card, as I rebooted and was greeted by the 4 beeps of death again. Getting the computer to boot from the card at all is my main priority as Linux is my primary OS and this is to be my multi-boot development box.

@BugsB,

I downloaded Pacifist and it was able to extract the contents of the driver package. It's got a .plugin file, two .bundle files and several kext files in it, and two .prefPane files. I found some info on installing kexts here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/277344-what-is-a-kext-and-how-do-you-install-and-patch-it/ I found similar files under /System/Library/Extensions although one of the files is named exactly the same, so it would need overwritten I'm guessing. Then updating the cache. Is that correct? I've never done this before so I'm not sure if I'm missing something else thats necessary. 

I was kind of thinking that updating /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist might be a more elegant solution to trick the Nvidia Installer into actually running...

It's this card, which is specifically marketed as an upgrade for Mac Pro: http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/02G-P4-3682.pdf

Regardless of that fact, whether or not I am using it in a Mac, it should POST, even if there isn't a single operating system installed...

Is it possible that something in the Ozmosis BIOS is preventing it from loading properly?  

Regardless of that fact, whether or not I am using it in a Mac, it should POST, even if there isn't a single operating system installed...

The card has an efi mac rom.. Yes it should definitely post on a "mac" :P

Its the same as a non mac card not posting or working on boot in a real mac*

• Like 1

Hello red_team316. Maybe you test it with BIOS 801M and see what happend. I tried to install OSX with 816M - it was not possible with my PC configuration. My PC reboot all the time if the installation change the resolution. I have a EVGA GTX 570 Classified. After flashing 801M the installation works fine...

@unkown coder: Nice job!! This AOS board runs almost "out of the box". THX

joe75,

I'm still trying to figure out why I even care about this EFI BS :P The OZ BIOS clutter up the boot list with all kinds of entries for my single linux drive(which contains about 8 different partitions of various *nixes) so it looks like it adds an EFI entry for each separate partition. The drive came out of my old desktop which had no EFI stuff whatsoever. I use a custom GRUB bootloader to chainload any partition in my box. I'm not sure if I can chainload OSX yet as I haven't tried but I will eventually. I wonder how many people here have 16 different entries to boot from in their BIOS because I did when all my drives were hooked up lol.

minimig,

I unplugged my OSX drive, flashed back to the stock F2N BIOS and left everything on defaults and it POST's fine. I'm on my linux drive right now and just built the Nvidia driver for it and installed it. It's clear now that the 816M BIOS definitely was the problem, I'll try 801M and see if it fairs better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/red_team316/linux/nvidia-linux.png

I'm making progress, but it all seems backwards :D

BTW, Is the source code for the BIOS available? I thought I read that somewhere it was going to be open source. 

Is it neccessary to update the BIOS from 801M to 816M? I'm running the Version 801M and everything works fine. Don't touch a running system or what are the advantages of the 816M?

Has anyone done the latest Mac OSX update for 10.8.5? This should fix audio and Bluetooth things...

Kind regards

sTaN,

According to the changelog:

816M Fix loading SSDT table overrides. 801M 10.8.5 audio distortion fixed.

The 801M BIOS also does not POST with my EVGA GTX680 Mac Edition card. How many other BIOS are there? I have a 739M also that I will try to narrow down where the problem started, or if all of the OZ BIOS are like this. The stock F2N BIOS wont boot into Mountain Lion at all, yet it POST's properly with the card. What I need is a mix of the two...

@ red_team316:

1. is your old HDD which you migrated MBR or GPT partition scheme?

2a. Do you have clover or Chameleon (latest versions I guess) installed on your ML partition?

2b. pls post your chameleon or clover boot and smbios plists

3. you can install DIRECTLY via pacifist, w/o extracting first. Try google or better metacrawl something like 'install package with pacifist' or 'install package via pacifist'

@ all:

In general I wonder if it might be better to start w/ the latest regular f3a BIOS + either clover or Chameleon, and work everything out which tends to cause probs w/ h'tosh, esp. hot-plugging monitors, live res switching on all connected mons, OS and monitor sleep and wake-up.

Which smbios model identifier makes sense for this board? Which one do the h3a bootloader use?

Would you folks who use the f3a BIOS on your 100% working system + cham. or clover pls. post their boot and smbios plists?

Thanks,

Bugs

...What I need is  ...

The fix might be under your nose. Since you are using an Apple card, and as joe75 warned you, it has EFI VBIOS, it may be the source of your problem.

You can try to solve it like this:

Go to BIOS/Bios Features menu and change on Display Boot Option ROM Control from UEFI First to Legacy Only.

• Like 1

THe KiNG, when I use any of your devs h3a BIOS, can I still use overwrites in /Extra (plists etc.)? Or is it like on a real Mac w/ any h3a BIOS that OS X does completely ignore /boot and /Extra?

The fix might be under your nose. Since you are using an Apple card, and as joe75 warned you, it has EFI VBIOS, it may be the source of your problem.

You can try to solve it like this:

Go to BIOS/Bios Features menu and change on Display Boot Option ROM Control from UEFI First to Legacy Only.

Thank you both so much. I've been battling the beeps all night long. I certainly did not understand what he was getting at. like yoda, joe speaks :)

• Like 1

Is it neccessary to update the BIOS from 801M to 816M? I'm running the Version 801M and everything works fine. Don't touch a running system or what are the advantages of the 816M?

Has anyone done the latest Mac OSX update for 10.8.5? This should fix audio and Bluetooth things...

Kind regards

I ran 801M for a week with no problems (10.8.4) using the on-board graphics. Then i wanted to use my GTX 650 as a compute engine; this required 816M.  Its been reported that 816M supports 10.8.5 and may fix the sound distortion problem, but others have had to apply the legacy found patch. But, currently i have no plans to update to 10.8.5. ( i even have an old Mac Mini running 10.6.8 running OwnCloud )

Its been reported that 816M supports 10.8.5 and may fix the sound distortion problem, but others have had to apply the legacy found patch.

I think you mix two separate things: 816M indeed fixed the sound problem but you have to patch audio anyway.

I is needed because the audio chip is not supported by Apple kext as they used unobtainium hardware in their line of products.

The chip used for Quo board is an alternative hardware commonly used by mobo manufacturers, but as it is unsupported OOB by OSX, you have to add support by patching kext or adding an other kext.

For the same reason you could have to add non-Apple kexts to support new hardware that you install on a genuine Mac (printer, TB enclosure with specialized hardware, etc)

No big deal, and not a problem AFAIC.

• Like 1

I'm not amazed there is a mix-up. The reason is that the package which contains the AppleHDA ALC892 audio patch scripts is inappropriately called 'QUO_Legacy.080720131.zip' ..

I duplicated that zip and split it into 'QUO_Legacy.08072013 by hackintoshfreedom.zip' and 'AppleHDA ALC892 audio patch scripts.zip' with only respective files inside, deleting the ones that belong into the other zip.

Everything out fine without using 801M and 816M, but cant get sleep to work. I heard that Parallels is the problem, but dont want to uninstall cause I need it. How do I let HWMonitor read the temperatures for the CPU? Do I have to install fakesmc.kext?