• Please log in to reply
1462 replies to this topic

red_team316

red_team316

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Well I have a 3770K and I loaded the H3A BIOS and was able to install Snow Leopard with no problems. Then I grabbed Mountain Lion from the store, and tried to make a bootable USB with it using Lion DiskMaker. It appears that the USB was done but the Lion DiskMaker app mentioned something about audio not working, yet when I replugged the USB in it seemed to be fine and I can actually boot off of it. I copied the InstallESD.dmg to the Desktop so I have an extra copy, and then proceeded to "upgrade" using the downloaded installer from the store. It rebooted twice, which seemed normal, and then started the install. After awhile the Apple logo turned to a blocked symbol(a circle with a slash through it) and wouldn't proceed any farther. And now booting into OSX doesn't work at all...

So I figured I would try out the USB I made, and it will not work either but actually gives me a message to try reinstalling.

Do I have to fix the audio with the legacy files before trying to create a USB or is there some other catch? My EVGA 680 Mac card(which is not even installed into the machine yet) says it requires Mountain Lion.

The H3A BIOS is layed out differently(at least the drive booting portion) than the stock F2N BIOS and genuinely feels more unstable. The boot logo disappears long before my 10 second timeout to a black screen. Also, I'm not sure why, but the H3A BIOS doesn't even show the keys to press when booting. At least I remember DEL is the BIOS access, gotta love randomly smashing keys at startup if you don't know them :)

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Just got a Quo motherboard and I'm trying to get OS X 10.8 running on it. Downloaded HermitCrab Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.723M.zip and successfully flashed it, then used a USB drive to install OS X... I was able to boot with the USB drive and started the installer but never got past the first screen (gray background with Apple logo and loading indicator below it). I don't think it crashed as the animation is still going but it's been more than 20 - 30 minutes already heh so I doubt it's working.

Using a Sandy Bridge i3 processor (is Ivy Bridge required?), 2 x 4GB RAM modules and an Intel SSD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I would say that the Sandy Bridge processor will work, but not out of the box.  I believe the problem is that the HD300 graphics aren't supported out of the box.  That is why it stays on the Apple logo.  Because the desktop probably loaded, you just can't see it because as far as OS X is concerned, you have no graphics card/processor.  So it seems to be more of a conventional Hackintosh if used with a Sandy Bridge processor, but I'm sure it will work.

Well I have a 3770K and I loaded the H3A BIOS and was able to install Snow Leopard with no problems. Then I grabbed Mountain Lion from the store, and tried to make a bootable USB with it using Lion DiskMaker. It appears that the USB was done but the Lion DiskMaker app mentioned something about audio not working, yet when I replugged the USB in it seemed to be fine and I can actually boot off of it. I copied the InstallESD.dmg to the Desktop so I have an extra copy, and then proceeded to "upgrade" using the downloaded installer from the store. It rebooted twice, which seemed normal, and then started the install. After awhile the Apple logo turned to a blocked symbol(a circle with a slash through it) and wouldn't proceed any farther. And now booting into OSX doesn't work at all...

So I figured I would try out the USB I made, and it will not work either but actually gives me a message to try reinstalling.

Do I have to fix the audio with the legacy files before trying to create a USB or is there some other catch? My EVGA 680 Mac card(which is not even installed into the machine yet) says it requires Mountain Lion.

The H3A BIOS is layed out differently(at least the drive booting portion) than the stock F2N BIOS and genuinely feels more unstable. The boot logo disappears long before my 10 second timeout to a black screen. Also, I'm not sure why, but the H3A BIOS doesn't even show the keys to press when booting. At least I remember DEL is the BIOS access, gotta love randomly smashing keys at startup if you don't know them :)

The note about audio when creating the USB drive isn't normal.  I would recreate it using the Disk Utility method and try again.  And no, the audio legacy patch does not need to be done before your install.  I also don't know about upgrading through the operating system.  I would create a USB with the downloaded Install Mountain Lion App and try that way instead.

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts

Reboot loop

1. Powered up entered stock F2N and explored a few features
  2. Ran a bootable stress test on CPU and memory for several hours
  3. Flashed H3A.1307271205. First attempt failed. The previous version was automatically restored. Second attempt worked. I restored optimized defaults
  4. Booted the 10.8 installer and installed without any issues
  5. Experienced several KPs
  6. Stripped down to barebones and still experienced KPs
  7. Restarted and entered H3A. Experienced random freezes in the BIOS
  8. Attempted to reflash F2N from a backup on USB. Bios froze during flash and did not recover
  9. Reboot loop on startup. Case fan starts, CPU fan starts, system shuts down, repeat.
  10. Removed power, battery, and jumped CMOS reset. Waiting 5 minutes
  11. Still reboot loop.

Any suggestions.

esojotrebla

esojotrebla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Having just gone through this myself, I am now qualified to say: yes, you need an Ivy Bridge processor.  Specifically, one with HD4000 graphics.  So, the i7-3770, i7-3770K, or i5-3570K.

@toren , @flipit23

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'll just grab a Core i7 3770 on Monday and try again... I'm using integrated graphics but the idea is to add a discrete GPU later. From what I've read so far the GTX 6xx series should work without issues on this board running OS X 10.8, is that correct? Are there any hardware compatibility guides out there listing all supported components?

iztech

iztech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

You can email us at tech@quocomputer.com

In your email please list CPU, memory, monitor model and how it's connected. Also list the Graphics card.

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Reboot loop

3. Flashed H3A.1307271205. First attempt failed. The previous version was automatically restored. Second attempt worked. I restored optimized defaults
  8. Attempted to reflash F2N from a backup on USB. Bios froze during flash and did not recover
  9. Reboot loop on startup. Case fan starts, CPU fan starts, system shuts down, repeat.
  11. Still reboot loop.

Any suggestions.

Several things

First you can force the backup bios to kick in using the following method.

While PC is on, turn off power via AC main switch on PSU, wait 1minute .. now press and hold the ATX power switch then switch the PSU back on while still holding ATX power switch in.

Then powering up system normally the backup bios should kick in.

You may need to repeat this several times.

Fruitboi

Fruitboi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

@ Fruitboi

Can you provide DarwinDumper of QUO mobo?  You can get DarwinDumper from http://www.insanelym...4-darwindumper/ .

Don't forget to select "Make Dumps Private."

Thank you for your time.

Sorry for the late reply.. been crazy crazy week!

Here's the dump

take 2.. should be here now!

The Disabler.kext in bios blocks IntelCpuPowerManagement.

The question is on purpose?

Yup.. on purpose!  I imagined this would be the case, but I have heard of no way to enable power management, much less how to configure the boot loader in EFI?

So again, how can we enable power management?

leesureone

leesureone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Reboot loop

11. Still reboot loop.

Any suggestions.

I has some issues with the Hermitcrab H3A.1307271205  bios as well, not as significant at what you are working through and I wish you luck. I had the same unexplained KPs and really unacceptable behavior within the bios settings itself.

The bios is bleeding edge and I am not belittling the efforts that went into creating it, I couldn't even begin to start work on something like it, but I am a lot happier with this motherboard using the original bios and a boot loader. Software updates are not usually that big a deal. Without a dependable bios and no clear way to modify settings like power management or whatever I am not seeing this board as that "special". 

If Hermitcrab's efforts are still ongoing then future bios versions could be more compelling.

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com
AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is loaded but:
WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
  -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts
Bs0d,
I did try that a few times and also spoke to Quo support. After abould six attempts, I reseated the memory and CPU as well as checking under the board to see if a screw may have slid under it. I took the battery out and tried to encourage the bios to recover and was successful.

Unfortunately before and after reflashing, I continued to get the same KP. I tried booting miniwindowsxp as well as Ubuntu. Both experienced panics.

I pulled the memory and CPU and placed into another z77 board and was able to install Ubuntu. I maxed out all of the cores and ran a few other stress tests for nearly 3 hours. I could not get it to panic.

Since I did not extensively test under the stock firmware(iT froze once), I may give it another shot. I'll leave the stock firmware and try to get it to freeze up.

Leesureone,
There have been numerous individuals who have flashed and not reported KPs.

leesureone

leesureone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Yep, it could have had something to do with the various drives and operating systems I was running that freaked the bios out. Its tough to try and establish what exactly the board in that state didn't like Lanceomni. Good posts and I am following what you find out and how happy you are with how it works out. 

Unrelated but in my system I pulled the Patriot Pyro SE 240 GB drive out and replaced it with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gb and the system is much happier, might just be a firmware issue with that particular drive. It had windows installed on it but it made a difference. 

Keeping the system configuration as simple as possible with a couple of hard drives max, one for boot and one for storage, would probably enhance stability of the flashed boot loader but I want to be able throw at it everything at it. I can with with the stock bios pretty much...I can with three three other motherboards I have using a boot loader. 

With the alternate bios it's not as stable, not as configurable, not update proof....  in comparison to almost every other set up I can put together there is still plenty of room for improvement. Good start but I don't think it stands up to the hype at the moment.

Fruitboi

Fruitboi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is loaded but:

WARNING: IOPlatformPluginUtil : getCPUIDInfo: this is an unknown CPU model 0x3a
  -- power management may be incomplete or unsupported

Same thing on my main Hack with an 3750K  and power management works fine

6displays

6displays

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

1 video card = 6 displays!  BS?  

Nope...reality...

http://www.mediafire...jjzyaok60fqquf1

Basically shows the QUO board running 6 displays in OSX.from 1 video card (Nvidia 660).

Amazing what this board can do.

Take a look.  Discuss.

bradl001

bradl001

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

6 Displays? Very nice. For now, I'd be happy to just get my single display working with an EVGA GT 640. :-)

I flashed the H3A BIOS, installed 10.8 from a USB (created via Disk Utility restore) and the machine works great with Intel's HD4000. I didn't add any more .kext files.The CPU is an i7-3770 and no PCI-Express cards are installed.

Nothing shows up when I install the GT 640 but the system profiler knows it's there.

I've set the IGPU settings as recommended from the H3A BIOS web site.

For what it's worth, I cannot get an LSI 8888ELP card to work either. I don't see the "hit CTRL-G to setup card" banner or nothing. As if it's not there.

Am I misunderstanding some BIOS settings? Perhaps the UEFI/Legacy ROM options? Something else? Card needs extra software to support it?

Thanks!

bs0d

bs0d

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Bs0d,
I did try that a few times and also spoke to Quo support. After abould six attempts, I reseated the memory and CPU as well as checking under the board to see if a screw may have slid under it. I took the battery out and tried to encourage the bios to recover and was successful.

Unfortunately before and after reflashing, I continued to get the same KP. I tried booting miniwindowsxp as well as Ubuntu. Both experienced panics.

I pulled the memory and CPU and placed into another z77 board and was able to install Ubuntu. I maxed out all of the cores and ran a few other stress tests for nearly 3 hours. I could not get it to panic.

Since I did not extensively test under the stock firmware(iT froze once), I may give it another shot. I'll leave the stock firmware and try to get it to freeze up.

Leesureone,
There have been numerous individuals who have flashed and not reported KPs.

Just checking you are not using a saved bios settings profile from F2N on H3A .... they're not compatible.

leesureone

leesureone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

1 video card = 6 displays!  BS?  

Nope...reality...

Basically shows the QUO board running 6 displays in OSX.from 1 video card (Nvidia 660).

Amazing what this board can do.

Take a look.  Discuss.

Yes, welcome to Quo computers! The six functioning displays is more a function of the video card than the board. All I have to do now is buy three more monitors (not).

^Andy^

^Andy^

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Been watching this thread for a while and am a bit of a loss - Initially I thought it was a brilliant idea but after reading the feedback on this thread I'm left wondering what the benefits are. It seems it's no easier to get this board up and running than most other hack builds, has a price premium, limited choice of processor and no real benefits that I can see.

I thought the initial idea was a mobo that made it simple to install osx and was as close to genuine mac hardware as possible but it seems that's not the case from the comments on this thread with most users having to use chameleon and install the same way as most hackintoshers by adding kexts etc.

What am I missing?

leesureone

leesureone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Been watching this thread for a while and am a bit of a loss - Initially I thought it was a brilliant idea but after reading the feedback on this thread I'm left wondering what the benefits are. It seems it's no easier to get this board up and running than most other hack builds, has a price premium, limited choice of processor and no real benefits that I can see.

I thought the initial idea was a mobo that made it simple to install osx and was as close to genuine mac hardware as possible but it seems that's not the case from the comments on this thread with most users having to use chameleon and install the same way as most hackintoshers by adding kexts etc.

What am I missing?

Love to hear other opinions but I think you are spot on

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Unfortunately it looks exactly like I said before and mentioned a few times by now; apart from the form factor it doesn't have that plus factor.
My opinion is still you don't need firewire + thunderbolt at the same time, and if you do need firewire you'd better (cheaper for sure) off with something else or even a 2nd hand mac pro 3,1 for example.

However what could make the board special and in which I'm very interested is thunderbolt.
Like I've written before hotplugging on hackintoshes is still like non existent and patching the video signal through as well.

Right now thunderbolt is on a hackintosh is a sort of novelty item bur far from real useful in real world situations.
Surely external hard disks work but but without the hotplug functionality you're better of with USB3.

At least for now anyways, hard disks have limited speed anyways and if you need anything faster for any professional reason you're better of with a real mac again.

I also had a friend coming in with a thunderbolt enabled video camera and since hotplug is absent it was pretty nasty to get to work.

However I do like the EFI part and if you could get that to work properly that would be, for some, a big plus.

Still I think it takes the fun-factor away from the hackintosh equation.

Besides that it's really not hard to get chameleon + fakesmc + voodoohda up running, especially with all the supported chipsets from this board.
This is exactly how I run my setup (be it with an universal intel kext plus I lack the thunderbolt but else I got exactly the same).

But I trully think it's an exceptional board, indeed for "other os", just not that exceptional for OSX.

Without going any further this way I'd still very much like to hear about thunderbolt experiences, if only comparing them to my own experiences.

leesureone

leesureone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Unfortunately it looks exactly like I said before and mentioned a few times by now; apart from the form factor it doesn't have that plus factor.
My opinion is still you don't need firewire + thunderbolt at the same time, and if you do need firewire you'd better (cheaper for sure) off with something else or even a 2nd hand mac pro 3,1 for example.

However what could make the board special and in which I'm very interested is thunderbolt.
Like I've written before hotplugging on hackintoshes is still like non existent and patching the video signal through as well.

Right now thunderbolt is on a hackintosh is a sort of novelty item bur far from real useful in real world situations.
Surely external hard disks work but but without the hotplug functionality you're better of with USB3.

At least for now anyways, hard disks have limited speed anyways and if you need anything faster for any professional reason you're better of with a real mac again.

I also had a friend coming in with a thunderbolt enabled video camera and since hotplug is absent it was pretty nasty to get to work.

However I do like the EFI part and if you could get that to work properly that would be, for some, a big plus.

Still I think it takes the fun-factor away from the hackintosh equation.

Besides that it's really not hard to get chameleon + fakesmc + voodoohda up running, especially with all the supported chipsets from this board.
This is exactly how I run my setup (be it with an universal intel kext plus I lack the thunderbolt but else I got exactly the same).

But I trully think it's an exceptional board, indeed for "other os", just not that exceptional for OSX.

Without going any further this way I'd still very much like to hear about thunderbolt experiences, if only comparing them to my own experiences.

With this board using either available bios thunderbolt acts the same as it does on any hack, the device needs to be plugged in at boot up to be recognized. Hot plug does not work for me. I have a couple of external thunderbolt drives I can chain, I had one attached at boot up and then once at the desktop I plugged in the other. I could see the drive lights flashing but the system eventually dropped both and neither were accessible. Restarting the system took care of it.

Not a deal breaker for me but better thunderbolt functionality would be a plus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mobo

Topic Stats Last Post Info

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy