OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

So i haven't been talking about my build for a while, because I've been trying to get my main user account working properly, and this involves backing up a couple of large hard drives, so everything takes at least a day.

By the way, other than that, the QUO + Vega 56 is running like a top. Smooth, faster than my laptop, everything works, including sleeping to the point the fans turn off*, then waking from sleep.

THANK YOU THANK YOU thank you so much for all the help I've gotten here making that happen.

But...

That's all only true for the clean reference install, not Mojave-over-Yosemite.

Using Migration Assistant I migrated the applications, then the user accounts one by one from the backup, testing them each time to make sure I got HDMI sound and that the display weirdness (black tabs that display blocky tearing when you pass the mouse pointer over them) wasn't happening.

I got the accounts transferred over properly (I think...), then transferred the Other Files category last. For some reason, that reintroduced the sound and video problems, so I had to reformat the boot fusion drive and do it all again. Each of those loops took 4 days. The fusion drive is currently backing up (Carbon Copy Cloner has been running for 42 hours and is still not done (USB3 external is so much slower than SATA internal)). So for my last 8 or 9 days I've basically just been watching assorted progress bars crawl by.

In anticipation of troublehshooting:

I would like to know if there's some way to make a list of everything installed in the System & Library of a successful install, then compare it to the problem install (if it is a problem this time - I'm going to leave out the Others category to do by hand). That way maybe I can isolate what's causing the problem. I assume I have some video driver conflict, but I don't know how to find it.

How can I do that?

Thanks.

* I bought some Bitfenix ASUS Aura RGB fans on sale, with a controller. They work just fine as PWM fans run off the motherboard headers, but as soon as I plug in the RGB controller they ramp up to full speed - it seems like the controller overrides the PWM. I have had no luck even finding a forum to discuss that sort of problem, but in all fairness I don't think it's a hackintosh thing, I think it's an RGB-with-Z77 thing. Google has not been my friend, yet. If anyone else has experience with -that- sort of thing, I'm all ears.

23 hours ago, 6rollo6 said:

Hi!

Is there any way of completely deactivating/delete the Ozmosis bootloader from the bios, I just want to use Clover for my old Z77MX-QUO-AOS build. I tried to deactivate Ozmosis with ESC during boot (screen was red) but still can't boot the MacOS Catalina installation with Clover bootloader. I flashed the Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-XMAX-E.ROM before trying to get Catalina installed. I'm using only integrated HD4000 graphics of the i7-3770k CPU, maybe that's a problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice

6rollo6

Flash back to original firmware before using Clover...the link is on the wiki http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

But if you want Catalina with Ozmosis ..you might want to check this first .. 

Edited by IronManJFF

On 2/13/2020 at 10:29 PM, valiant said:

** Like this:

/EFI  ← This is a separate partition, not the Efi folder on your boot drive you may have left over

/Efi
        /Oz  ← This will probably eventually be joined by an /APPLE directory
        KernextPatcher.plist   ← May be optional, @IronManJFF put basic functionality into ROM
                /Acpi
                   /Dump
                   /Load
           /Darwin
                /Extensions
                   /Common  ← Put Lilu.kext & Whatevergreen.kext here if needed***
           defaults.plist   ← Declare Mac type here and add generated s/n.

To be clear, if you want to override KernextPatcher.plist or DBounce.plist they go into /EFI  not /EFI/Oz

/EFI  ← This is a separate partition, not the Efi folder on your boot drive you may have left over
    /Efi
        KernextPatcher.plist, DBounce.plist   ← May be optional, @IronManJFF put basic functionality into ROM
        /Oz  ← This will probably eventually be joined by an /APPLE directory
           Defaults.plist   ← Declare Mac type here and add generated s/n.
           /Acpi
              /Dump
              /Load
           /Darwin
              /Extensions
                /Common  ← Put Lilu.kext & Whatevergreen.kext here if needed***

12 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Flash back to original firmware before using Clover...the link is on the wiki http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS

Oh it's that easy? :lol: I didn't remember there was a original firmware for the QUO-AOS board without the Ozmosis component, well it's already long time ago I purchased the board...

I guess flashing any of the two versions F2N or F3A would be OK or what would you recommend? Thank you very much for your help, it's well appreciated!

Either works or you can invoke the backup firmware (F2N) ...

To invoke the board's Backup Firmware (in case you brick it while flashing BIOS)

Method #1
Turn off power via AC main switch on PSU.
Press and hold the ATX power switch then switch the PSU back on while still holding ATX power switch.
Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again.
Release the ATX Power switch, wait 5 secs and press it again.
Backup Firmware should kick in. If not, repeat.

Method #2
1. Shut your PC down 
2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, then release. 
3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

Well, I confirmed that it was something in the Other Files category that caused the audio and video glitches. No idea what, but at this point it's easier to re-register apps than to troubleshoot my Mojave-over-Yosemite install. It seems that somewhere in the Other Files category are also the licensing files for my registered software.

To be clear, this is a -me- problem -- there's no reason to believe anyone else would have the same problems installing Mojave over a working Yosemite install. I just recommend to anyone doing so that they have a good solid backup in place.

Edited by valiant
clarity

Here's a weird one.

In the Finder you can choose to view networked volumes in the sidebar (turn it on in Finder Prefs  -> Sidebar -> Locations -> Connected Servers).

On my MacBook Pro, it works what I consider to be normally -- the other Macs on my network that have sharing turned on show up individually in the sidebar of the Finder as something I can click on and mount. As you can see, the Finder sidebar shows both the Network and the two other Macs on the network.

View from laptop

laptop-network-view.jpg.ab18785468e81ed46a9d241ef5096d61.jpg

However, on the Quo Mojave working install (Mojave over Yosemite) of my primary user account, that does not happen. No sign of networked Macs in the sidebar. However, if I set my Finder prefs to show the host computer (Finder Prefs -> Sidebar -> Locations -> 'Macname'), if I click on that then there's a list of the mounted volumes, and the Network one as well. But if I select that, it displays nothing, i.e. no Macs on the network.

View from Quo primary user

quo-main-user.jpg.8ec4696d5425516f74eb97faaa6a6a43.jpg

That is weird enough, but there's more...

If I change to a different user (not a reboot, just Fast User Switching) then the Network shows up in the sidebar, it lists the available Macs on the network, and I can log into accounts on there.

View from Quo admin user

quo-other-user.jpg.6da4fa1dd62f0af88df747cc7a04dd6d.jpg

Another thing that has me puzzled is the reference boot drive also does not show the actual volumes in the sidebar, just the Network link. That is different behaviour from the laptop.

View from vanilla boot

quo-vanilla-install.png.b14b29bfa74115d3327e44b9f2084661.png

I'd like to get this working - I use CCC to back up over the network, but if I can't mount remote Macs, I can't back up to them.

Any ideas of how to fix this? Specifically how to get networked Macs to be seen in the Finder so I can back up to them?

Thanks.

Do this for each user that experience issue

Check Finder preferences

1. In the Finder 937fa92677a2c49a18fa81070e5d8419.png on your Mac, choose Finder > Preferences.

2. Click General, then make sure the “Connected servers” checkbox is selected.

3. Click Sidebar, then make sure the “Connected servers” checkbox is selected.

I made progress (firmware & config)  ....more to come...

Spoiler

image.png.02c93a88322fddd6adbb4be043d55484.png

Issues:

Not reading fan sensors ...  Fixed HW Monitor is not compatible with VirtualSMC using HWMonitorSMC read sensors correctly

Black screen on cold boot in Mojave 10.14.6 Worked around the issue

Tested : Mojave

Tested : Catalina

Tested : Windows 10

Issue : Reboots when waking from sleep under Mojave

Tested : Sleep/Wake  under Catalina 

Tested : Recovery mode for Mojave and Catalina

Tested : iCloud, iMessage,AppStore .. no issues.

Tested : HD4000 in headless mode for H.264 hardware acceleration

image.png.0da34d0b9dbb0ad195aa564d6d19d807.png

Edited by IronManJFF

On 2/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, IronManJFF said:

Do this for each user that experience issue

Check Finder preferences

1. In the Finder 937fa92677a2c49a18fa81070e5d8419.png on your Mac, choose Finder > Preferences.

2. Click General, then make sure the “Connected servers” checkbox is selected.

3. Click Sidebar, then make sure the “Connected servers” checkbox is selected.

Yep:

On 2/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, valiant said:

In  the Finder you can choose to view networked volumes in the sidebar (turn it on in Finder Prefs  -> Sidebar -> Locations -> Connected Servers).

The weird thing is that with the same settings I get different behaviour depending on which drive I boot from and which user account I use, even on the same boot drive. 

Mojave on laptop = normal behaviour
Mojave on Quo, admin user = network drives visible, but not in sidebar*

Mojave on Quo, work user = network drives not visible at all*§

* not normal behaviour: confirmed Finder prefs correctly set

§ if I can’t see network drives I can’t mount them for backing up to

On 2/23/2020 at 8:54 AM, IronManJFF said:

I made progress (firmware & config)  ....more to come...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.02c93a88322fddd6adbb4be043d55484.png

Issues:

Not reading fan sensors ...  Fixed HW Monitor is not compatible with VirtualSMC using HWMonitorSMC read sensors correctly

Black screen on cold boot in Mojave 10.14.6 ( restart or logon/loggof using screen sharing fixes it ?!? )

Have to not inject iGPU Device property, iGPU Auto in BIOS ..so far with RX580 does not work with iGPU

Catalina needs WEG, lots like Mojave does not need it much

Sounds encouraging! I haven't managed to get 10.15.3 to update as yet, so perhaps it's time.....

• 2 weeks later...

Update...this is where I am at.

Spoiler

image.png.2fc5771d52ec1d3890958550634d9562.png

Issues:

Issue : Reboots/KP when waking from sleep under Mojave YMMV

15 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Update...this is where I am at.

Hide contents

image.png.2fc5771d52ec1d3890958550634d9562.png

Issues:

Issue : Reboots/KP when waking from sleep under Mojave YMMV

Can our OZ be replaced by opencore in the firmware for a better working system? I am especially interested in being able to boot in headless HD4000 with an rx580 in mojave.

Thanks for all your testing and work,

g\

Just touching base. Most everything is working as expected except for 3 things: For clarity I will list them separately.

1. Bluetooth. I don't know if this is a driver issue or what, but I suspect I may have a dodgy card.* I could not get my trackpad or Magic Mouse to pair with the Quo until I put a bluetooth dongle in. Now the hardware pairs, but no AirDrop and I can't use my Apple Watch to wake the Quo.

Q: This is not super-urgent, maybe 3/5, but it is annoying. Is there any way to test this?

2. Network. I don't know what piece of software is screwing this up, but my primary user account still won't show or mount network shares. Screen Sharing works - I can VPN into the networked Mac, but I can't mount any of its drives in the Finder. And thank you for the suggesting above on the Finder settings, but I already had those correct.

Q: This is much more urgent, 5/5, because until I can mount remote volumes, I can't back up to them over the network. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

3. Fans/Cooling. The Quo idles with a CPU temperature of 71°C, and the fans run pretty loud. I'd like to be able to finesse them. But there's one weird thing: iStat Menus, smcFanControl, TG Pro, HWMonitor, HWMonitorSMC2 etc. all list more fans than I have:

• CPU Fan

• Power Fan

* System Fan

* System Fan

* System Fan

Depending on the software, I can control the speed of the fans, but it's disconcerting to have fans listed that I don't have. And it's wearying to have what sounds like a small jet engine running full time under my desk.

Q: How can I tell the OS that the correct list of fans the Quo has? And is there a preferred software for controlling fan speed?

--

* I had to use a PCI extension ribbon cable to clear out from under the video card, then mount the Broadcom card upside down in a rear slot to get the antenna to stick out. I may have wrenched something on the hardware side while doing that, but the wifi works just fine, so I don't know for sure. The Apple Broadcom card does wifi and bluetooth both, but only the wifi works as expected.

Edited by valiant
Forum software won't let me post three separate posts in a row

17 hours ago, genzai said:

Can our OZ be replaced by opencore in the firmware for a better working system? I am especially interested in being able to boot in headless HD4000 with an rx580 in mojave.

OpenCore is not meant to be included in firmware. Anyway, nowadays I would not do it. There is no gains now that everyone is booting from SSD.

I am to the point where I will not go back anymore and staying with OpenCore.  I have to make some adjustments to the firmware I assembled and then write a migration guide.

13 hours ago, valiant said:

1. Bluetooth. I don't know if this is a driver issue or what, but I suspect I may have a dodgy card.* I could not get my trackpad or Magic Mouse to pair with the Quo until I put a bluetooth dongle in. Now the hardware pairs, but no AirDrop and I can't use my Apple Watch to wake the Quo.

Presumably because they were already paired with your dongle ... unpair them , remove the dongle 

2. Network. I don't know what piece of software is screwing this up, but my primary user account still won't show or mount network shares. Screen Sharing works - I can VPN into the networked Mac, but I can't mount any of its drives in the Finder. And thank you for the suggesting above on the Finder settings, but I already had those correct.

In Finder Command-K, then hit the Browse button. Do you see them ?

3. Fans/Cooling. The Quo idles with a CPU temperature of 71°C, and the fans run pretty loud. I'd like to be able to finesse them. But there's one weird thing: iStat Menus, smcFanControl, TG Pro, HWMonitor, HWMonitorSMC2 etc. all list more fans than I have:

• CPU Fan

• Power Fan

* System Fan

* System Fan

* System Fan

Number of fans. The only software that will give you only the fans we have is HWSensors if and only if you are also using the SMC sensors built into the firmware. If you have FakeSMC in anywhere or VirtualSMC .. it will list additional fans because they don't have a profile for the motherboard.  This is something I might want to try to do for OpenCore (make a QUO motherboard profile to include for VitualSMC).

Unless your fans are Spectre Pro PWM (your sig says Spectre Pro ..which means regular) there is nothing to control. Set them in firmware - choose Silent).

The Intel stock CPU cooler sucks a lot, if you do any kind of very cpu extensive work.. I suggest you get a decent cooler else the CPU have have to throttle down to prevent it from reaching too high temperatures.  71C @ idle is a lot .....you did put the thermal paste right ? Here r my temps and rpms...

image.png.cbd541c1d0183112564e5a5721ea2d45.png

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, IronManJFF said:

Update...this is where I am at concerning OpenCore.

Sorry not moving fast .. running a few projects at same time.

Issues:

Issue : Reboots/KP when waking from sleep under Mojave YMMV seems to occurs only when I force sleep it

Tested : Recovery mode for Mojave and Catalina (take a long time to load but it loads correctly ..seems to be Internet Recovery)

Firmware: Completed

Added : BootLiquor boot picker support

Added : PlayChime on Boot 

In progress : Boot time optimization (removing unnecessary stuff)

Issue : Cannot boot in safe mode .. prohibited sign 

Edited by IronManJFF
Safe mode issue

On 3/16/2020 at 1:39 PM, IronManJFF said:

Hd4000 in headless mode + AMD GPU is my ultimate goal (and hasn't worked with Oz in mojave) . Looks like you have that working with OC now? is this something you will be able to bake into a firmware release or are we going to have to run opencore like everyone else?

Thanks!

g\

5 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

You will need OpenCore.

Ah bummer, you might as well use the board with clover then :|

Was thinking since OC had its roots in OZ that maybe it could replace OZ in the firmware.

g\

If I would remake Oz( and I had nothing t do with its creation)  today I would not put it in firmware ... it does not make sense nowadays to put it in firmware when every one has SSD.

If you wait just a couple more days ...my OC friendly firmware is complete, the EFI for it is complete..all that is left is the HOW-TO migrate from Oz to OC and it ain't very complicated.

Edited by IronManJFF
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Nothing yet

I followed the guide, restarted, flashed, got in to bios and tried to double check the iGPU settings on my phone and got a 404.

Continued and assumed it was a temporary fluke...