OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2020 at 10:22 AM, ntsmkfob said:
I've don't recall ever having a /EFI/QUO folder, so that's not it

The early versions of the firmware used to create that folder then it moved to /EFI/Oz. You can safely delete it

/EFI/Apple is created by the macOS installer or Software Updater itself.. leave it be. 

Edited by IronManJFF

1 hour ago, valiant said:

Are there any other approaches I can take to try to make this work?

Thanks.

Have you trying manually loading the Kext from Terminal... to see if you get any error messages ? i.e. invalid signature that would prevent the kext from loading.

Edited by IronManJFF

6 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Have you trying manually loading the Kext from Terminal... to see if you get any error messages ? i.e. invalid signature that would prevent the kext from loading.

I would be happy to try that but I don't know how.

On 1/4/2020 at 9:00 PM, elviejo said:

Okay here is a short way to install Catalina on this board as promised.

1.- Install a compatible video card, Catalina won't boot with the internal, remember that Nvidia don't have drivers for it. THIS IS A MUST! ( this apply to

Mojave also)       

2.- Would be a good idea to have only the drive where you are going to install Catalina and you must install it to sata 0.

3.- Flash the mobo with the ROM provided here. ( The Ozmosis Defaults in it is the original macpro3,1, you must replace it with a Defaults.plist actualized,

IMac13,2 or Macmini8,1 are the best, I prefer Macmini8,1 because it don't have limitations on usb, you could do this on the ROM or in the EFI folder.

This ROM have kernexpatcher included, you don't need to install it on EFI.

4.- You must install WhateverGreen.kext and Lilu.kext on the EFI\Oz\Darwin\Extension\Common folder, you can do this from the 

Shell or attaching the drive to a existing Mac system and opening the EFI folder there.

5.- Reload the NVRAM doing a CTL+OPT+P+R. Go to settings and choose PEG as video default IPEG could be automatic or disabled.

6.- Install Catalina ( always use the last release )

7.- Probably between reboots installing you are going to need to boot from the Shell to the macOS Install Data, the command is as follow

"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" ( you can add -v after the quotation mark if you want verbose )

Sometimes the installation of Catalina mess with the NVRAM, if so reload the NVRAM and reboot. Enjoy.:thumbsup_anim:

Whatever Green and Lilu.zip

Ozmosis-Catalina.rom.zip

Thanks @elviejo, just updated to macOS Catalina yesterday, took a little while, and definitely have to go into fsX:\"macOS Install Data\Locked Files\Boot Files\boot.efi" between reboots, as if not, the update will not stick. 

I forgot to place the lilu and WhateverGreen kexts into the efi before I updated, and took me a while to realize, :wallbash:but in the end I used the UEFI shell and placed them in by hand, and booted without a problem, all my apps seem to work fine with the 64bit architecture, so I haven't lost anything. :P

The only problem I do have, is that I have changed my Defaults.plist to a macmini8.1 rather than the imac14 to have front usb port support, but I still cant use them, any ideas? :whistle:

PS: happy new year to everyone!!

Okay, tiny problem, I went to add “System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi” to my boot menu, but the file isn’t there, the whole directory is empty except for a folder, any ideas?

EDIT: Obviously this means I can boot at the moment, so any help ASAP is much appreciated :cry:

Edited by Casm101

13 hours ago, valiant said:

I would be happy to try that but I don't know how.

First verify if the Kext (from Apple) is already loaded using kextstat (it should be)

Then unload it with kextunload

Then load your own kext wth kextload

and verify it is loaded wth kextstat

Test Wifi

You can see how to perform these actions in Terminal in this article http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/24/load-unload-kernel-extensions-mac-os-x/

Edited by IronManJFF

3 hours ago, Casm101 said:

Okay, tiny problem, I went to add “System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi” to my boot menu, but the file isn’t there, the whole directory is empty except for a folder, any ideas?

EDIT: Obviously this means I can boot at the moment, so any help ASAP is much appreciated :cry:

Do this on shell.

bcfg boot dump, hit enter and take note how many entries you have, then fs1: enter and type bcfg boot addp highest number + 1 System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi "macOS Catalina" if is there it will tell you boot entry added, if is not it will tell you invalid name or something, then probe with fs2 an so on until you found witch is ( pressing the up arrow will give you your enter and with the left arrow yo can go and change fs1 to fs2 and so on, so you don't have to type the whole command again) remember to move the entry to the first to boot automatically to Catalina, the command is bcfg boot mv number of your entry space 1, lets say your entry is two you then do bcfg boot mv 2 1.

About the USB ports, macmini8,1 have no limit in them so check all are connected and reboot.

Edited by elviejo

On my Catalina system, I did ls fs1:, ls fs2: etc. 2 of the filesystems only had a folder with a long UUID starting with the letter A.

I did an ls fs4:\A and hit the tab key to fill the UUID and then Enter to see what was there.

One of these folders had just a System directory, which led to a Library and then a CoreServices folder, which contained boot.efi.

I set up a boot entry for that boot.efi as explained above. I assume it is a Preboot volume, but it is the one I use to boot Catalina, once I put it first in the boot sequence in the BIOS and then made it the startup disk in Catalina.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:03 AM, IronManJFF said:

First verify if the Kext (from Apple) is already loaded using kextstat (it should be)

Then unload it with kextunload

Then load your own kext wth kextload

and verify it is loaded wth kextstat

Test Wifi

You can see how to perform these actions in Terminal in this article http://osxdaily.com/2015/06/24/load-unload-kernel-extensions-mac-os-x/

Thank you,  I am bookmarking this for the future.

But it turns out I have a different problem.

The Wifi card does not work in slot 4, it only seems to work in slot 3. (I did not try slots 1 & 2 because video card). This has taken me days to confirm, but it seems definitely to be the case. Reverting to Yosemite I found the card worked in slot 3 but not slot 4. And because the Vega 56 is three (!) slots wide, I can't use the Wifi card in slot 3.

I don't know if that's something to do with the slot or the card, but combined they don't work.

I don't want to buy another PCIEx1 card and discover that it also doesn't work in slot 4 (PCIEx8), so I think I will try the USB dongle route first.

Can anyone recommend a USB Wifi dongle that works with Mojave and allows all the normal wifi behaviour, i.e. AirDrop, Handoff, etc.?

Thanks.

On 1/6/2020 at 2:02 AM, KMS said:

Nothing special:

Catalina installed on HD from real MacBookPro with Intel 4000

Fake/Lilu/Whatever on Extensions.

22.jpg

33.jpg

This seems like some kind of clue as to how to make Catalina work with QUO video...

10 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

Have you considered simply using a wired connection?

Yes, that's what I'm using now. Ethernet works out of the box.

But AirDrop doesn't work without wifi. Neither does Handoff, Continuity, unlock with Apple Watch, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I use AirDrop quite a bit, so I would like to have it working. And that requires supported (or kextable) wifi.

I have read that this PCIE card is fast and fully supported by Mojave (and Catalina) but it's expensive and I am hesitant to buy it when I don't know if there is a problem with slot 4 not working on my QUO.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-RNX-AC1900PCE-802-11AC-Express-Wireless/dp/B0159222VS/

This USB Wifi dongle says in the description that it works with 10.14. It's a mid-speed USB 3 dongle that does 11ac and is not as expensive, but googling I don't see any confirmation that it works properly.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1300-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07P6N2TZH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wifi+adapter+10.14&qid=1578603629&s=electronics&sr=1-3

So I'm just hoping somebody here has some experience with using dongle wifi under Mojave.

Thanks.

New topic:

APFS vs. HFS+ ?

I am booting Mojave from a single SSD formatted using APFS, but my end game is to boot from a fusion drive.

I can either do a Mojave install the normal way, which will result in a fusion drive with APFS format, or I can use Carbon Copy Cloner and copy my working SSD install to the HFS+ fusion drive.

Is there a preference for those using the QUO mobo?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, valiant said:

Yes, that's what I'm using now. Ethernet works out of the box.

But AirDrop doesn't work without wifi. Neither does Handoff, Continuity, unlock with Apple Watch, and other things I can't think of off the top of my head.

I use AirDrop quite a bit, so I would like to have it working. And that requires supported (or kextable) wifi.

I have read that this PCIE card is fast and fully supported by Mojave (and Catalina) but it's expensive and I am hesitant to buy it when I don't know if there is a problem with slot 4 not working on my QUO.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-RNX-AC1900PCE-802-11AC-Express-Wireless/dp/B0159222VS/

This USB Wifi dongle says in the description that it works with 10.14. It's a mid-speed USB 3 dongle that does 11ac and is not as expensive, but googling I don't see any confirmation that it works properly.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1300-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07P6N2TZH/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wifi+adapter+10.14&qid=1578603629&s=electronics&sr=1-3

So I'm just hoping somebody here has some experience with using dongle wifi under Mojave.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am using this ( Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.0 WiFi Card for 27" for iMac AirPort), it came from eBay and it has been extracted from a real Mac. It’s mounted into a pci adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Shaluoman-BCM94360CD-BCM94331CD-PCI-Adapter/dp/B0762N2R2R/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Broadcom+BCM94360CD&qid=1578615198&sr=8-17 ). Everything works smoothly with it. Airdrop, continuity... ( for side car I don’t know yet ).
I had an issue as well with the pci 4: I didn’t wanted to use this specific port, because it would ramp down to 8x ( instead of 16x ) the speed of the GCard plugged into slot 1. I used a PCI-E extension ribbon from eBay to be able to use the slot locked beneath the GC. 
Hope it helps.

17 hours ago, alberto21 said:

Hi,
I am using this ( Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac Bluetooth 4.0 WiFi Card for 27" for iMac AirPort), it came from eBay and it has been extracted from a real Mac. It’s mounted into a pci adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Shaluoman-BCM94360CD-BCM94331CD-PCI-Adapter/dp/B0762N2R2R/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Broadcom+BCM94360CD&qid=1578615198&sr=8-17 ). Everything works smoothly with it. Airdrop, continuity... ( for side car I don’t know yet ).
I had an issue as well with the pci 4: I didn’t wanted to use this specific port, because it would ramp down to 8x ( instead of 16x ) the speed of the GCard plugged into slot 1. I used a PCI-E extension ribbon from eBay to be able to use the slot locked beneath the GC. 
Hope it helps.

Hmm. OK. I have a similar adapter (although I don't know what card I have in it) but slot 4 doesn't work for me at all, I didn't know about slot 4 slowing down slot 1. The ribbon sounds interesting. Would it be possible to post a photo of the ribbon setup? I've never seen that arrangement.

Thanks.

Hmm. OK. I have a similar adapter (although I don't know what card I have in it) but slot 4 doesn't work for me at all, I didn't know about slot 4 slowing down slot 1. The ribbon sounds interesting. Would it be possible to post a photo of the ribbon setup? I've never seen that arrangement.

Thanks.

Sure, I’ll try to do it this weekend, but without promises though. Those times are quite busy for me. I’ll keep you updated asap.

8 hours ago, valiant said:

I didn't know about slot 4 slowing down slot 1. The ribbon sounds interesting. Would it be possible to post a photo of the ribbon setup? I've never seen that arrangement.

Page 6 of the motherboard doc says :

* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot
is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

1 hour ago, valiant said:

I'm in a mid-size tower though: I don't think I'd have clearance to screw in the PCI card without having to take out a fan... :(

What enclosure do you have ?

Velcro it to the side ...or try to screw the card above Slot 4 but upside-down to expose to PCI connector

Edited by IronManJFF

18 hours ago, IronManJFF said:

Page 6 of the motherboard doc says :

* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot
is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

What enclosure do you have ?

Velcro it to the side ...or try to screw the card above Slot 4 but upside-down to expose to PCI connector

Thanks for the reference.

I am using a Bitfenix Prodigy M case https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/micro-atx/prodigy-m/

Working Wifi, but...

Rather than try to get the PCI wifi card working, I just bought a USB wifi dongle from Amazon. It was about the same price as the extension ribbon linked to above.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RQCTKQY/

This seems to be a pretty generic product, there appear to be dozens of them on Amazon that look pretty similar. I chose this one because it's rated at 1200 rather than 600, does n and ac, 2.4 & 5 GHz bands, says it's MacOS 10.14 compatible, and was available with next day delivery.

It ships with a mini-CD with drivers for Mac, Windows and Linux, but the Mac driver did not work under Mojave. However, I recalled that one of the descriptions for one of the other generic units mentioned Archer T3U, so I searched on that and found TP-Link has a beta driver for Catalina. That worked.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-t3u/#Driver

The only thing is that it creates a new wifi item rather than using the stock Apple one. It puts in a menubar item separate from the normal wifi.

208589704_ScreenShot2020-01-11at2_40_52PM.png.913e47512587589200bbb44c7877c0a3.png

It creates a new network item also.

751527157_ScreenShot2020-01-11at2_42_26PM.png.fef8c7f02f1bf15dd30b393fe420d477.png

Throughput is limited by my cable modem, I get the same speed through the wifi as I do through ethernet.

107246553_ScreenShot2020-01-11at2_45_32PM.png.a1b4fa37ff38ae0094ae88f896722a47.png

It's a USB 3 device and the marketing blurb says to use USB 3 for maximum speed, but USB 3 ports are a precious commodity on the QUO mobo, so after I got it up and running I switched it to one of the USB 2 ports. There was no drop in throughput. You may see a difference if you have a faster package, but on my 75 MBps plan I don't.

<strike>I'm going to call this particular problem solved.</strike>

Damn. I just checked and AirDrop is not working. Neither are Continuity or Handoff.

475504935_ScreenShot2020-01-11at3_26_26PM.png.00b7be31f981394bd0ab902181564ad4.png

Does anyone know how to fix that? Or are those services tied to Apple's wifi prefpane?

Thanks!

Edited by valiant
I was wrong

On 1/9/2020 at 11:00 AM, valiant said:

Thank you,  I am bookmarking this for the future.

But it turns out I have a different problem.

The Wifi card does not work in slot 4, it only seems to work in slot 3. (I did not try slots 1 & 2 because video card). This has taken me days to confirm, but it seems definitely to be the case. Reverting to Yosemite I found the card worked in slot 3 but not slot 4. And because the Vega 56 is three (!) slots wide, I can't use the Wifi card in slot 3.

I don't know if that's something to do with the slot or the card, but combined they don't work.

I don't want to buy another PCIEx1 card and discover that it also doesn't work in slot 4 (PCIEx8), so I think I will try the USB dongle route first.

Can anyone recommend a USB Wifi dongle that works with Mojave and allows all the normal wifi behaviour, i.e. AirDrop, Handoff, etc.?

Thanks.

Fenvi FV-T919, (PCI-e x1), GUARANTEED to work with ALL Hackintosh Systems!!!  (Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11AC & Bluetooth 4.)

Fenvi FV-T919 - New Egg, US. $52.99 USD.

Can be found on e-Bay, (New), as well.  On e-Bay, these are shipped from China.

IF Dual Booting to Windows, NOTE:  The Windows Drivers can be 'temperamental'...  I had to have help from my Local Computer Source to get the Windows side working for my Win 7 Pro x64 Drive.  ($29 Labor, USD.)

In MacOS, the Device comes up as 'AirPort Extreme', in Windows it comes up as "ASUS".

I've had NO issues with this Card.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

I've tried a few USB Dongle Type WiFi Devices that 'claim' to be MacOS compatible.  NONE have worked in my System.  The Fenvi Card got HIGH marks for 100% MacOS Compatibility.

Edited by TimeLord04
Update to Post.

Damn. I just checked and AirDrop is not working. Neither are Continuity or Handoff.

Well, some years ago, you could use this : https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool for instance. Nowadays not sure anymore.
The better way to succeed, in my opinion, is to get close to vanilla hardware, no needs to tweak or do magic mantra to get it working. And, I think, getting close to vanilla, it’s the QUO spirit, isn’t it ?

7 hours ago, TimeLord04 said:

Fenvi FV-T919, (PCI-e x1), GUARANTEED to work with ALL Hackintosh Systems!!!  (Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11AC & Bluetooth 4.)

Fenvi FV-T919 - New Egg, US. $52.99 USD.

Can be found on e-Bay, (New), as well.  On e-Bay, these are shipped from China.

IF Dual Booting to Windows, NOTE:  The Windows Drivers can be 'temperamental'...  I had to have help from my Local Computer Source to get the Windows side working for my Win 7 Pro x64 Drive.  ($29 Labor, USD.)

In MacOS, the Device comes up as 'AirPort Extreme', in Windows it comes up as "ASUS".

I've had NO issues with this Card.

TimeLord04

[EDIT:]

I've tried a few USB Dongle Type WiFi Devices that 'claim' to be MacOS compatible.  NONE have worked in my System.  The Fenvi Card got HIGH marks for 100% MacOS Compatibility.

Thank you for that.

Unfortunately I seem to have something weird about PCI slot 4, which is why I went for the usb dongle. My wifi card didn't even show up in slot 4 which is the only one I can use, because my video card is 3 slots wide.

I also tried putting an eSata card in slot 4, and that messed up the graphics, so it may be the slot itself that's the problem.

So it appears my only choice is a dongle, or possibly trying the ribbon arrangement referenced above.

12 hours ago, valiant said:

Unfortunately I seem to have something weird about PCI slot 4, which is why I went for the usb dongle. My wifi card didn't even show up in slot 4 which is the only one I can use, because my video card is 3 slots wide.

I also tried putting an eSata card in slot 4, and that messed up the graphics, so it may be the slot itself that's the problem.

You may be running out of PCI Lanes, if you are not using FireWire and/or Thunderbolt, disable them in firmware and see if it helps with Slot 4.