OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2019 at 7:36 PM, alberto21 said:

Hey, I had to update via a genuine Mac. After it, it will boot. But still no drm etc.. I read somewhere that it might work if we spoof the rx580 into a rx580 pro.

After upgrade to RX580 (MSI Gaming X 8GB) I removed WhateverGreen.kext .. don't need it anymore 

Edited by IronManJFF

Warning : Trying to install Mojave 10.4.4+ the vanilla way will fail (with SysDef 13,2 for sure ), you have to upgrade to 10.14.1-2-3 and then use of the the method I just described above. (Good thing I have kept some of these installers)

It relates to some firmware upgrade Apple is pushing along ...

Sep 22 17:27:40 iMac OSInstaller[610]: ------- Install Failed -------
Sep 22 17:27:40 iMac OSInstaller[610]: Operation: Update firmware failed, Failure Reason: Error Domain=com.apple.osinstall Code=514 "" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9ce3235f20 {Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 "archive verify failed" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/Super%20Beta/Library/Updates/061-06469/FirmwareUpdate.pkg#Scripts, NSFileOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=3699854, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777236, NSFileSize=172690619, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=root, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2019-09-22 15:47:25 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=wheel, NSFileReferenceCount=1, NSFileModificationDate=2019-09-22 15:50:43 +0000, NSLocalizedDescription=archive verify failed}}}

Haven't found a way around it yet ...as far as I know it does not matter which boot loader you use... so if anyone is able to install 10.13.6 or 10.14.6 the vanilla way .. i'd like to know.

Why is this important .... Catalina is around the corner and it will push those firmware updates (it does in Beta)

Still digging...

Other stuff I been working on ...

1) Compatibility testing/migration plan/ failover plan before I upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave as my main OS now that I have a RX580.

2) OpenCore .. I am now convinced it cannot co-exist with Ozmosis in firmware ... one would have to go back to the Official F2N or F3A firmware ... not ready to go that route yet mostly cause this will take time I don't have right now (I am on 24/7 pager duty so I need to have a working computer)

Edited by IronManJFF

I upgraded to 10.14.6 via .4 and .5 with the following defaults plus kernextpatcher.plist in the EFI, which I downloaded from here. KernextPatcher has 2 patches that are applied, one to all 10.14 and one to 10.14.6.

The other issue I have had (all along) is needing to edit the com.apple.Boot.plist in the Boot Files subdirectory of the install directory to add flagsnv_disable=1 to the kernel flags line, then booting from the boot.efi in that partition to complete the install. I can't find any legacy kexts for the NVidia card I used to have. I have an MSI RX560, which I saw on some list somewhere of supported cards for Mojave.

I'm using the XMAX-E ROM, for which I'm grateful! I think you put KernextPatcher into it.

<key>BiosDate</key>
        <string>06/13/2019</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>IM131.88Z.F000.B00.1906132045</string>
        <key>EfiVersion</key>
        <string>287.0.0.0.0</string>
        <key>FirmwareFeatures</key>
        <integer>0xE00DE137</integer>
        <key>FirmwareFeaturesMask</key>
        <integer>0xFF1FFF3F</integer>
        <key>ProductId</key>
        <string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>
        <key>ProductFamily</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>
        <string>iMac13,2</string>

Edited by ntsmkfob

Glad to know that it might be something unique to my setup....

Can you make a DarwinDumper Dump... BootLog, ACPI and DMI Tables (SMBIOS)..maybe I can spot something..

Yes, KernextPatcher is in the XMAX-E firmware, KernextPatcher.plist in EFI will override the one built into the firmware, so is DBounce but disabled by default unless you put DBounce.plist in EFI.

Edited by IronManJFF

Thank you very much for the link, I already upgraded the BIOS accordingly. I haven't been able to get my Mojave installer ready yet, but does what you just wrote mean I'd have to start from a 10.14.0? I'd have no idea where to get that from.

For now I just had a High Sierra installer around, however as soon as I boot my installation flash drive, I am getting the prohibition sign and after a few minutes the machine turns off.

Edited by emc2

All right, I found the default.plist template, but now I am not quite shure where to put it. I found out so far that it goes in that folder you mentioned on the EFI partition, however at this point there is just a blank SSD with nothing on it in my machine.

Thanks for the patience!

On 9/22/2019 at 7:52 AM, modbin said:

If Method 1 and 2 doesn't work to kick in the Backup Firmware, it's easier to short Pins 5 and 6. You can do this with a screwdriver or a paperclip cause the Pins are next to each other.

Many thanks for the tips and sorry for the late reply it has been a bit crazy here so I have not had the time to do anything yet.

Hmm 5 and 6 instead of 1 and 6, maybe the author of that thread wrote the wrong number. Anyway that is just as you say much easier so now I only have to find out how they number the pins on this chip. I believe there is a small mark in one corner of it so if anybody can point me in the right direction to find the info or know how it is please tell.

It would be so super cool if I can bring it to life again without having to solder of the chip and replace it.

Edit:

If it is this chip in the link under here I am not sure if 5 and 6 are the right pins looks it could be 1 and 6 since the first pin is CS# which = chip select and 5 is SI/SIO0 which = Serial Data Input (for 1 x I/O)/ Serial Data Input & Output (for Dual Output mode) but I do not know nothing about this so if somebody could take a look would be very helpful.

https://www.macronix.com/Lists/Datasheet/Attachments/7370/MX25L6406E, 3V, 64Mb, v1.9.pdf

Edited by Nubira

I am really sorry to bother you again, but so far I had no luck.
I used EFI agent now, to mount the EFI partition on my SSD and it had already the /Efi/Oz folder structure. In there I created a Defaults.plist file that contains the template I found here three pages earlier. That SSD back to my QUO board, I reset the P-RAM with Cmd+alt+P+R. Meanwhile I also managed tu build my Mojave install flash drive. Now I don't see the prohibition sign anymore, however when I boot from it the screen remains black and the system powers off after a few seconds.

I assume I don't have the right things in my Defaults.plist, but I have no idea what to put there. Could you point me to a detailed guide about it? I never had to deal with anything like that for my previous OS X installations on that board, which are frankly more than two years back now.

Thank you very much!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Version</key>
	<string>1.0.1</string>
	<key>Date</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosDate</key>
		<string>09/17/2018</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>IM131.88Z.F000.B00.1809171346</string>
		<key>EfiVersion</key>
		<string>281.0.0.0.0</string>
		<integer>3759006007</integer>
		<integer>4280287039</integer>
		<key>ProductId</key>
		<key>ProductFamily</key>
		<string>iMac</string>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<key>SystemSerial</key>
		<string>12 Digit Random Hex</string>
		<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>
		<string>SystemSerial+5Digit Hex</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>
	<dict>
		<key>boot-args</key>
		<string>-v</string>
		<key>csr-active-config</key>
		<integer>103</integer>
	</dict>
	<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>
		<true/>
		<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>
		<string>$label</string>
		<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
		<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>
		<string>$label $platform.$major.$minor</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Am I right, that I can choose the serials randomly?

Might the whole thing be connected to my nVidia graphics? I also tried to remove the "disable nVidia injection" flag.

Replace the bios info in your version with the code below. Also, use clover configurator to generate a valid serial number, then add 5 extra chars for the baseboard number. Don't forget to cmd/option/P/R to reload the bios and pull in the updated plist.

<key>BiosDate</key>
        <string>06/13/2019</string>
        <key>BiosVersion</key>
        <string>IM131.88Z.F000.B00.1906132045</string>
        <key>EfiVersion</key>
        <string>287.0.0.0.0</string>
        <integer>0xE00DE137</integer>
        <integer>0xFF1FFF3F</integer>
        <key>ProductId</key>
        <key>ProductFamily</key>
        <string>iMac</string>
        <key>ProductName</key>

Edited by ntsmkfob

Thank you very much. I did so but have no luck yet. Somehow I am suspecting that the NVRAM reset does not work. I never get the flashing screen, the only thing that happens is that the blinking cursor in the upper left corner turns red for two seconds. Is there an alternate way of doing the reset or verifying it?

Not to answer your question about how to adding propery into "rom@0". Regarding firmware update check, you might want to try to insert new bios values from ntsmkfob. Clover and also OpenCore also have full free to grab updated database, maybe also on their "known configurator" tools.

If you have something messages something like below (got from internet):

Jul 21 20:41:28 iMac OSInstaller[543]: Firmware update package path: /Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/FirmwareUpdate.pkg
Jul 21 20:41:29 iMac OSInstaller[543]: Operation: Update firmware failed

You might want to grab the latest values from FirmwareUpdate.pkg by hand with this script.

Goodluck

• Like 1