OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Thanks for the reply,

Just to confirm kexts are loaded from the EFI folder: I thought there was a specific reason for you to have WEG and lilu to be in  /L/E. ( didn’t even tried in /L/E tbh) 

I tried with 10.14.0 and could not succeed to get Protected content reading. I just still have the red screen with sound when iGpu is off, and got hardware acceleration for x264 when enabled with nothing at all about DRMs . Like you I had default.plist not loading the hd4000 platform id and succeed with devprop. (I’m using your firmware, nice job btw, I just included darboot for myself) So I’m wondering if I didn’t miss something in the plists or with a kext, etc. 

For information The tweak you suggested in the bios does work with 10.14.0 but with 10.14.6 it just won’t boot. I have to set everything to Auto.

Before going deeper in opencore I would like a least to fix this DRM stuff and got 10.14.6 running. Or maybe opencore will take care of it flawlessly, who knows.

EDIT: I just attached the plist and logs

PLISTSandLOGS.zip

Edited by alberto21

On 8/20/2019 at 9:20 PM, alberto21 said:

For information The tweak you suggested in the bios does work with 10.14.0 but with 10.14.6 it just won’t boot. I have to set everything to Auto.

Same here, it does not boot Mojave with those BIOS settings ... you could try InitDisplayFirst=iGPU but you won't get verbose output which would be sent to the iGPU

I had them in /L/E cause I initially only wanted it to apply to this partition, when in EFI they will get injected every time 

Edited by IronManJFF

On 8/21/2019 at 3:20 AM, alberto21 said:

Thanks for the reply,

Just to confirm kexts are loaded from the EFI folder: I thought there was a specific reason for you to have WEG and lilu to be in  /L/E. ( didn’t even tried in /L/E tbh) 

I tried with 10.14.0 and could not succeed to get Protected content reading. I just still have the red screen with sound when iGpu is off, and got hardware acceleration for x264 when enabled with nothing at all about DRMs . Like you I had default.plist not loading the hd4000 platform id and succeed with devprop. (I’m using your firmware, nice job btw, I just included darboot for myself) So I’m wondering if I didn’t miss something in the plists or with a kext, etc. 

Before going deeper in opencore I would like a least to fix this DRM stuff and got 10.14.6 running. Or maybe opencore will take care of it flawlessly, who knows.

EDIT: I just attached the plist and logs

PLISTSandLOGS.zip

HDCP protected content from iTunes plays perfectly on my setup. I have the iGPU and init first set to auto and use AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen.

Looks like some of my findings were not totally accurate :

Playing DRM content : Fixed by WhateverGreen alone

Airplay support : iGPU needs be enabled with iGPU device id property set (WEG not required).

VDA Decoder : Needs both iGPU enabled + iGPU id device property set+ WEG

On 8/25/2019 at 11:14 AM, niXta said:

HDCP protected content from iTunes plays perfectly on my setup. I have the iGPU and init first set to auto and use AppleALC, Lilu and WhateverGreen.

Thks for the feedback, but even with everything set into the bios and kext in place, I aint got any DHCP protected content playing ( Itunes, Netflix, My provider IPTV).

those are the kext, with their version, I am using. kext.png.0b677996a23d1f2ba993797a6ee589c6.pngDo you got the same one ? Do you mind to share your DevProp.plist and your Dbounce.plist, please ? thx

On 8/27/2019 at 12:01 AM, IronManJFF said:

Looks like some of my findings were not totally accurate :

Playing DRM content : Fixed by WhateverGreen alone

Airplay support : iGPU needs be enabled with iGPU device id property set (WEG not required).

VDA Decoder : Needs both iGPU enabled + iGPU id device property set+ WEG

About DRM: not working

Airplay: Working, I do confirm

VDA Decoder: not working with my RX580, but you still have an Nvidia ?

for the IGPU I use those values in DevProp:

image.png.b02856cb825ba5c435dc5507cb6be182.png 

Since I have all the kexts, all the plist ( I think ) there must be something with is not correctly set.

thx guys

Got my hands on a cheap Quo and flashed it with the XMAX BIOS. But instead of doing a fresh install, I'd like to clone the hard drive from my older Macbook Pro to an SSD and boot from that, since that's already up to date with Mojave and the latest versions of apps and all my prefs just the way I like them. Has anyone ever done that and if so, what else do I need to do to get it up and running? Will it even boot? I assume I'll have to install maybe Lilu, Whatevergreen and VirtualSMC for starters.

I moved my device properties injection from DevProp.plist to aml files to be loaded from /EFI/Oz/ACPI/Load ... works like a charm.

Thank you IronManJFF,
I may try this as well, because so far, it doesn’t work: vda and drm,
But first, I just need to double check that my HDCP loop is compliant from graphic card to screen, and I’ll try as well from fresh install to be sure that this issue doesn’t come from my actual setup.

11 hours ago, PowerTower mini said:
Got my hands on a cheap Quo and flashed it with the XMAX BIOS. But instead of doing a fresh install, I'd like to clone the hard drive from my older Macbook Pro to an SSD and boot from that, since that's already up to date with Mojave and the latest versions of apps and all my prefs just the way I like them. Has anyone ever done that and if so, what else do I need to do to get it up and running? Will it even boot? I assume I'll have to install maybe Lilu, Whatevergreen and VirtualSMC for starters.

Hey,
It should work, however you should put everything, like default.plist ( see template structure for iMac in previous posts, you may generate a serial from clover config or ozmosis config or have it from from a real one )and kexts if needed ( depending of which osx you want to use ),in the EFI partition. The file structure should setup itself at the first launch of your new firmware on your new quo (your hard drive must be on the very first sata port ). Therefore, you may add the files from a genuine Mac or a working install from an hackintosh. There are several more ways to do this, but these two are the simplest. Once done do F12, then P+R+OPTION+COMMAND, ozmosis will update its parameters with the news files. By default ozmosis gets an embedded definition for a Mac Pro from the XMAX bios.

Edited by alberto21

• 2 weeks later...

eIMG_20190915_204716.thumb.jpg.21632e07a9f3f6bba6bb5f2e16da6623.jpg

Does anyone know what bios chip it is theres a drop of paint on a part of it so I cannot see. I am going to try to fix it again got a hot air gun for soldering now just cannot read what it say on the chip.

Edited by Nubira

1 hour ago, IronManJFF said:

Process ahs not changed much.. make sure you have an updated Defaults.plist. If you want to go with Mojave or Catalina and have Nvidia GPU be aware there are no drivers available.

I'll check if mine has a 'paint drop' but it looks like it it is chip

Thanks for trying to help me out.

I found a couple of chip myself too that looked the same but the two last lines of text are hidden behind that paint so you cannot tell if its the right one. Maybe its a chip from one "family" so they all would work though. I´ve seen reports on a way I never tried to get the backup bios to kick in so I´m gonna try that first. They say if you loop/hold a metal wire between pin 1 and pin 6 and do some other stuff I forgot now (was late last night) the backup bios might kick in.

Maybe I´ll do a youtube livestream to this thread when I work with it.

I´ve seen reports on a way I never tried to get the backup bios to kick in so I´m gonna try that first.

To invoke the board's Backup Firmware (in case you brick it while flashing BIOS)

Method #1

Turn off power via AC main switch on PSU.

Press and hold the ATX power switch then switch the PSU back on while still holding ATX power switch. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again.

Release the ATX Power switch, wait 5 secs and press it again. Backup Firmware should kick in. If not, repeat.

Method #2

1. Shut your PC down 2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, then release. 3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IronManJFF said:

To invoke the board's Backup Firmware (in case you brick it while flashing BIOS)

Method #1

Turn off power via AC main switch on PSU.

Press and hold the ATX power switch then switch the PSU back on while still holding ATX power switch. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again.

Release the ATX Power switch, wait 5 secs and press it again. Backup Firmware should kick in. If not, repeat.

Method #2

1. Shut your PC down 2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, then release. 3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.

this always works eventually... don't need a solder gun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UefiBooter said:

this always works eventually... don't need a solder gun.

Oh I did that many times but it does not work on this mobo so that´s why i´m gonna try this third method I found.

Method 3, which explains to short/jump/bridge pins 1 and 6 on the M_BIOS chip to kick off a routine installed in firmware which reflashes a corrupt M_BIOS with the contents of B_BIOS, worked wonders for me, for which I'd like to thank the OP.

I had eliminated all possibilities other than the motherboard, and was about to RMA the board (which entails hefty shipping charges not to mention losing the board for a few weeks) when I discovered this thread and got Method 3 to work when nothing else would.

HOWEVER … at first I couldn't get it to work, despite trying a handful of times. What finally did it for me was when I stopped paying attention to the specific instruction of letting go of the pins when the power ON single beep is heard : on my board (a GA-H97-D3H) I had to KEEP HOLDING THE TWO PINS FOR 5–10 SECONDS after the initial beep before being rewarded with this pop-up message on my display :

====== DUALBIOS ======
The main BIOS is corrupted.
Press [ENTER] to recover the
main BIOS from the backup
BIOS.
            ❞

It may depend on the board, or maybe if the OP sees this he might know why … but if you have a dual BIOS board and method 3 didn't work for you and you're out of options, try it again but keep holding pins 1 and 6 with a steady hand for at least ten seconds after the initial beep, see if that doesn't do it for you. Did for me.

Edited by Nubira

OK got a RX580 .. everything works except I am still unable to upgrade to 10.14.6 .. after rebooting,Graphics gets going .. I have to progress bar then i just crash and reboot.

If anyone has an idea ... or if someone that can install 10.14.6 could provide me with a DarwinDumper Dump .. might be something in the DMITables that could help

I think it thinks it has to do a firmware update somehow  and that it when it fails ...

On 9/16/2019 at 9:56 PM, Nubira said:

Method 3, which explains to short/jump/bridge pins 1 and 6 on the M_BIOS chip to kick off a routine installed in firmware which reflashes a corrupt M_BIOS with the contents of B_BIOS, worked wonders for me, for which I'd like to thank the OP.

If Method 1 and 2 doesn't work to kick in the Backup Firmware, it's easier to short Pins 5 and 6. You can do this with a screwdriver or a paperclip cause the Pins are next to each other.

• Like 2

Was able to update my Mojave test drive from 10.14.3 to 10.14.6 using this method 

1) Clone the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner

2) Boot from the clone and launch the 10.1.4.6 Combo Update to update the original

3) Success (reboot from the updated original)

Following this I tried to install 10.14.6 Supplemental Update  .. using the Software Update Control Panel ... was unsuccessful.

So I decided to try something different ...

1) I downloaded the Supplemental Update from Apple's site

2) I opened the dmg file and saved the .pkg file on a USB Stick

3) Boot in UEFI shell and then boot into the Recovery Volume

4) Once in Recovery Mode , select Utilities -> Terminal

5) in Terminal

installer -verboseR -pkg /Volumes/USBSTICK/thepackagefilename.pkg -target /Volumes/TheTargetVolume
6) Success

Hi Guys,

I have just been reactivating my nice and powerful desktop machine based on the Z77MX-QUO-AOS and i7 4770K and a GTX 770. It is still running - I think - the H3B.894M Firmware and currently booting El Capitan.

After all I have read here, a Mojave installation should be possible without major problems, however my current problem is, that the link in the wiki for the latest H20.167X-MASS BIOS doesn't seem to work for me. The one provided on Pastebin also is dead.

Could anyone advise me where to get the latest OZ Bios from so that I can get the horse up to date?

Thank you very much!