• Please log in to reply
1627 replies to this topic

vegasloki

vegasloki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

From the posts on the KS page it looks like the boards are out in force.  Good for Quo but it was a painful launch.  I suppose it's part of the KS pseudo open hardware movement that in the olden days we weren't involved with when the product was due let alone being able to be in on the ground floor funding.  Seeing "how the sausage is made" has been unpleasant for some.

One thing I noticed is there are a fair number who are looking at Hackintosh only as a way to get a cheap Mac.  No matter how many times people here or elsewhere say it, if you are only looking for a cheap Mac get a Mini.  Hacking requires effort.  Even with an all in one tool (though one could make a pretty good case that in many cases and frequently on more complex builds they can do more harm than good) one is still going to need to know a bit about what's going on to have a fully functioning Mac.

I'm enamored with the boot to flash then the capability of installing straight from the App store download.  Nice work guys.  The Thunderbolt issues are interesting and I'm wondering if Apple is doing something else in hardware for hot swap and the video issues.  Good Thunderbolt info outside of Mac hardware is far and few between right now.  Hopefully in some of the 87 series chipsets coming that integrate TB controllers can help lead to more adoption since the price of a standalone controller will disappear.  Over the next few weeks as the last of the initial orders arrive it will be interesting to see the issues and improvements to the board and firmware.

toastie

toastie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

From the posts on the KS page it looks like the boards are out in force.  Good for Quo but it was a painful launch.  I suppose it's part of the KS pseudo open hardware movement that in the olden days we weren't involved with when the product was due let alone being able to be in on the ground floor funding.  Seeing "how the sausage is made" has been unpleasant for some.

One thing I noticed is there are a fair number who are looking at Hackintosh only as a way to get a cheap Mac.  No matter how many times people here or elsewhere say it, if you are only looking for a cheap Mac get a Mini.  Hacking requires effort.  Even with an all in one tool (though one could make a pretty good case that in many cases and frequently on more complex builds they can do more harm than good) one is still going to need to know a bit about what's going on to have a fully functioning Mac.

I'm enamored with the boot to flash then the capability of installing straight from the App store download.  Nice work guys.  The Thunderbolt issues are interesting and I'm wondering if Apple is doing something else in hardware for hot swap and the video issues.  Good Thunderbolt info outside of Mac hardware is far and few between right now.  Hopefully in some of the 87 series chipsets coming that integrate TB controllers can help lead to more adoption since the price of a standalone controller will disappear.  Over the next few weeks as the last of the initial orders arrive it will be interesting to see the issues and improvements to the board and firmware.

Anyone who is looking for a cheap mac by going down this path is foolish.  Just buying reasonable components has put me pretty near the price of a mini.  I think the point is customization, and one thing that you really can't get from Apple, which is variety of expansion.  Of course, you pay for it in difficulty of configuration, and if you don't get it right, instability.

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

@Guys that are using Ozmosis based bios for this board.

Does This bootloader have any configuration on this board?

How to access this configuration?

How doo u guys acess Shell from bios?

I have Modded Z77X UD5H with this bootloader and it work perfect but would like to know if there are any options at all..

thx.

leesureone

leesureone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Like some other members I was getting impatient with the process and wanting my motherboard. I set up an appointment and visited Quo Computers in Alhambra, CA so I could pick mine up instead of waiting for it to be shipped. It is not an impressive location by any means, no signage or anything, more of an underground vibe (check google maps street view) suitable for the product being sold. It all worked out....I have my board and will install and flash the bios this weekend and can post again then.

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Considering you can boot up with nothing but FakeSMC and a bootloader already on pretty much all Gigabyte 7x series boards, what is the big deal here?  The ethernet not requiring one kext?

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

Considering you can boot up with nothing but FakeSMC and a bootloader already on pretty much all Gigabyte 7x series boards, what is the big deal here?  The ethernet not requiring one kext?

Custom bootloader that work perfect.

Brainless hackintosh..

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Custom bootloader that work perfect.

Brainless hackintosh..

But I do not see anyone saying that the custom bootloader works perfectly.

Going to their FB page I just see dozens of complaints about unshipped orders and not a single link with a thorough review.  Even this thread has no actual testing of the built-in Chameleon and its use in the wild along with any information on what is supported, automated, etc.

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

But I do not see anyone saying that the custom bootloader works perfectly.

Going to their FB page I just see dozens of complaints about unshipped orders and not a single link with a thorough review.  Even this thread has no actual testing of the built-in Chameleon and its use in the wild along with any information on what is supported, automated, etc.

i am sure this its not chameleon...

It looks like clover to me when i try to hex edit...

Chameleon cannot boot boot.efi

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Well I can say that it works perfectly and have said pretty much so previously over on kickstarter.  There are several over there who are using the custom BIOS and nobody has complained about it to my knowledge.  It's pretty freakin' sweet.  This board, once flashed to the custom BIOS that is not shipped or provided by Quo, is totally ready to go.  Pop in your installation media and OS X doesn't give you any problems.  The only thing not working at that point is audio.  Install the motherboard's legacy audio kexts with a couple terminal commands, reboot.  All is working beautifully.  I've done a couple reinstalls and it was just as easy every time.

maleorderbride

maleorderbride

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

i am sure this its not chameleon...

It looks like clover to me when i try to hex edit...

Chameleon cannot boot boot.efi

Clover would make a heck of a lot more sense.  

Well, glad that a new development has been started in OSx86.

I hope that they, or someone, will continue to do this with current generation motherboards that would work for workstations and are not obsolete.  Since it is not socket 1150 or 2011 I have to say they are about 1.5 years too late.

In the meantime, guess I will continue to just install Clover, FakeSMC, and use an extra LAN kext to have a working system.

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

Well I can say that it works perfectly and have said pretty much so previously over on kickstarter.  There are several over there who are using the custom BIOS and nobody has complained about it to my knowledge.  It's pretty freakin' sweet.  This board, once flashed to the custom BIOS that is not shipped or provided by Quo, is totally ready to go.  Pop in your installation media and OS X doesn't give you any problems.  The only thing not working at that point is audio.  Install the motherboard's legacy audio kexts with a couple terminal commands, reboot.  All is working beautifully.  I've done a couple reinstalls and it was just as easy every time.

can u upload a picture of ozmosis gui and all settings that u have in ozmosis.

Thx.

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

I haven't seen the actual boot loader or any GUI.  It goes straight to white Apple boot screen, unless you hit one of the keys for BIOS or boot devices.  I'm sure there is probably a keystroke to stop the default boot  but I do not know it.  I will be happy to give any suggestions a try though

CoBrA2168

CoBrA2168

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

I haven't seen the actual boot loader or any GUI.  It goes straight to white Apple boot screen, unless you hit one of the keys for BIOS or boot devices.  I'm sure there is probably a keystroke to stop the default boot  but I do not know it.  I will be happy to give any suggestions a try though

Delete, or any of the F-keys?  Is there a manual or PDF that might explain boot options or configuration?

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Oh, so I guess you are just talking about the BIOS in general, not a separated boot loader interface.  I'll have to look at it again, as I know there were some options in regards to boot up.  I just don't remember specifically what they were.

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

Oh, so I guess you are just talking about the BIOS in general, not a separated boot loader interface.  I'll have to look at it again, as I know there were some options in regards to boot up.  I just don't remember specifically what they were.

home key its for enter ozmosis gui.

Plz make some screenstots.

esmith1977

esmith1977

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

does anyone have a link to the BIOS from HermitCrab labs...

this link https://mrq7bqbfgwmjzd5m.tor2web.org/ does not appear to work...

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

The link is up now.  Over the last week since I have had my board, the OZ link has been up and down numerous times.  

I tried the Home button when booting.  It did not seem to do anything but slow down my boot time.

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

The link is up now.  Over the last week since I have had my board, the OZ link has been up and down numerous times.  

I tried the Home button when booting.  It did not seem to do anything but slow down my boot time.

it says like this

INSTRUCTIONS

OZ Boot Manager GUI

Tap HOME key
Use mouse to select OS to boot into. You may also use F12 to access BIOS Boot Manager and select your favorite OS. Simply tap F12 on boot up. 
Verbose: When in Boot Selection Alt + V (fixing bug please just tap V once) and then make your choice. 

timmy_pete

timmy_pete

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Has anyone received a board from a website order yet?

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,996 posts

Thats pretty much every board if you know what you are doing. There is nothing special at all with GB boards. Just cool aid that you have been drinking to much of from another site. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mobo

Topic Stats Last Post Info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy