mobo

• Please log in to reply
1669 replies to this topic

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 136 posts

I believe if you install the hacked bios, it should be just plug in the thumb drive and go. The guide I'll upload will be a bit more complicated (restore install esd and then install chameleon + a few modules. I may just update the NBI code to automate it, it's really is quite simple either way though.

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

So the hacked bios is different than the BIOS shipped with the board and the one available on the Quo website?  I assume you refer to the one by HermitCrab Labs that was previously mentioned.  Where is it available?  I did a quick google search and forum search to no avail.  Will that be a sort of unofficial preferred method I wonder?  I am more intrigued by the more complicated way you mention because I imagine that it is probably better, what would be the obvious and not so obvious differences?  Also, I am not familiar with the NBI code you mention.  No need to feel obliged to answer what I am sure are noob questions/comments.

toastie

toastie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I've got my board, I'm reasonably familiar with building a Hackintosh, as I've done a few.  So, I'm familiar with using Chameleon for the bootloader, and the need (in some cases) for a DSDT file.  Based on how the board was pitched I was expecting that it would ship with a custom BIOS so that only a custom bootloader would be needed.  So, the question is, go with the stock BIOS from the QUO website, or try the alternative?  I've got no issues either way.

xpamamadeus

xpamamadeus

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 585 posts

I've got my board, I'm reasonably familiar with building a Hackintosh, as I've done a few.  So, I'm familiar with using Chameleon for the bootloader, and the need (in some cases) for a DSDT file.  Based on how the board was pitched I was expecting that it would ship with a custom BIOS so that only a custom bootloader would be needed.  So, the question is, go with the stock BIOS from the QUO website, or try the alternative?  I've got no issues either way.

U can use flash this modeed bios and use original dvd or usb for osx ?

https://mrq7bqbfgwmjzd5m.tor2web.org/

Rampage Dev

Rampage Dev

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,999 posts

I standby what The KiNG has said in his post. And I know what took place last year. 

For such a great endeavor that we work on a few people want to rip apart what other people have done and cast hate and jealousy onto others. This is a said attempt by someone to destroy a developer for reasons un disposed to us. The KiNG all I could ask is for you to block out the hate and jealousy and progress in doing what you have been doing over the past years in this community. All I ask in the end is to be the better man as you have been. 

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Interests:ileopod.wordpress.com

Sad to hear that you're out again. The problem is that most people think a hackintosh is a cheap mac. We all know we could be much further when we would working more together. Best example is thunderbolt only some lines of DSDT code, i found no guide yet, but these people are happy with their Voldemort branded mac.   

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Just out of curiosity... how does Thunderbolt work on this board?
Like, does it show up in the system profiler, is it hot pluggable?
I tried it on an asus board and if the disk wasn't connected at boot it wouldn't recognize it.
Lastly how does it handle video through patching with the Thunderbolt Cinema screen?
The latter I only ever got to work with Windows at work but never with the hackintosh.

Again just wondering, it's (thunderbolt) pretty much what the board is all about (for most I assume)

A review of the board what makes it so special from other boards I would very much like.

Apart from what I said at the above maybe some system profiler pics, etc?

The current setups I have are pretty much effortless but I just wonder what can still be gained.

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Just look how tunderbolt works on real macs.

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

So where is the custom BIOS from HermitCrab labs available?  I should be getting my board via FedEx sometime today and would like to give the custom BIOS a try before I try anything else, specifically anything from He Who Must Not Be Named.  

By the way, I really get a kick out of those Harry Potter references you guys pump out here and there.  The only thing is, wasn't Voldemort the most powerful wizard of all time, apart from Dumbledore of course!

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Just look how tunderbolt works on real macs.

I have a mac with thunderbolt at work, hell I even have a hack with thunderbolt.

But so far any hack with thunderbolt has issues;

Sure if you connect a drive/whatever before booting it gets recognized perfectly,

but if you do that after (hot swap) that refuses to work and it just won't see the drive.
This has been reported by many people with hacks.

Also the Thunderbolt Cinema screen only appears to work with the HD4000,

so far I haven't read anything about getting the signal patched through from like a gtx670?

Don't get me wrong, but if this board can't do that, it isn't as revolutionary as you might think it is,

it just has a lot in a smaller package and requires probably less effort.

iLeopod

iLeopod

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

A discrete GPU will require hardware changes or a special software like on windows. But im sure hot plug will work when injecting the stuff what real macs have in their dsdt and device-properties

Andy Vandijck

Andy Vandijck

InsanelyMac Deity

• Coders
  • 1,625 posts
  • Interests:Programming stuff for Mac OS X...
    Hacking...
    Hard rock (also really big Metallica...

So where is the custom BIOS from HermitCrab labs available? I should be getting my board via FedEx sometime today and would like to give the custom BIOS a try before I try anything else, specifically anything from He Who Must Not Be Named.

By the way, I really get a kick out of those Harry Potter references you guys pump out here and there. The only thing is, wasn't Voldemort the most powerful wizard of all time, apart from Dumbledore of course!

Yes with armies of evil beasts and hordes of blind followers.

vegasloki

vegasloki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Don't get me wrong, but if this board can't do that, it isn't as revolutionary as you might think it is,

it just has a lot in a smaller package and requires probably less effort.

To see how this board is different one can read the specs and compare to other boards.   Advantages for me from a hardware perspective are mATX, onboard Firewire 400 and 800 and Thunderbolt.  Combine that with the ability to flash the HermitCrabLabs firmware and it's a boot and go Hackintosh.  It's the combination of these features that make the board unique.  I like it for the hardware package/capability.  Non Quo Gigabyte Z77 Thunderbolt equipped board availability is starting to become constrained in the channel.  They're getting ready to release Z87 Thunderbolt equipped boards.  Even if you aren't making a Hackintosh it's a nice Z77 board.

flipit23

flipit23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Just got the motherboard via FedEx.  I was probably one of the last to fund the kickstarter project.  Late March or so.

toastie

toastie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I received my board, and hope to have it working this weekend.  When I have more info, I'll post it.

digiboy

digiboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello all. I've actually have had this board for nearly 2 weeks now. I made a stock installation with H3A firmware and have had no troubles with basic hardware. I'm not however able to boot to the desktop when I attempt to use my graphics card (an EVGA GTX 670 FTW).  I inquired with Quo directly and asked if there were specific BIOs settings that I could try. They told me that everything should work 100% and that they would soon post screenshots of specific BIOS settings in order to use both GFX and onboard graphics.

I've built systems before using Voldemort software (honestly, before perusing this thread I had no idea that there was any sort of controversy) and will no longer use any of their tools. That now leaves me with ZERO knowledge on what to do next. I'd appreciate any sort of helpful and reasonable advice on how to proceed...

DislikeYou

DislikeYou

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Hello all. I've actually have had this board for nearly 2 weeks now. I made a stock installation with H3A firmware and have had no troubles with basic hardware. I'm not however able to boot to the desktop when I attempt to use my graphics card (an EVGA GTX 670 FTW).  I inquired with Quo directly and asked if there were specific BIOs settings that I could try. They told me that everything should work 100% and that they would soon post screenshots of specific BIOS settings in order to use both GFX and onboard graphics.

I've built systems before using Voldemort software (honestly, before perusing this thread I had no idea that there was any sort of controversy) and will no longer use any of their tools. That now leaves me with ZERO knowledge on what to do next. I'd appreciate any sort of helpful and reasonable advice on how to proceed...

I don't know how that board works or what bootloader it uses. but turning off nvidia injection should make OSX to boot into desktop.

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts

digiboy,

Are you running 10.8?

digiboy

digiboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@DislikeYou - I looked through the BIOS and did not find any option to turn off Nvidia injection.

@Lanceomni - I updated after my initial install to 10.8.4, I believe that the USB install stick that I initially used was at 10.8.3

Lanceomni

Lanceomni

infinitemac.com (φοίνιξ) !

• Donators
  • 614 posts

@DislikeYou - I looked through the BIOS and did not find any option to turn off Nvidia injection.

@Lanceomni - I updated after my initial install to 10.8.4, I believe that the USB install stick that I initially used was at 10.8.3

Consider using the boot option/flag

graphicsenabler=no

Also consider previous comment.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mobo

Topic Stats Last Post Info

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy