OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, long time lurker on this site, but this is one of my first posts. I received my Quo MB a few days ago. Today I installed W7 on a SSD, worked like a charm. This evening I flashed the custom bios, ran the 10.8 usb installer on a different SSD, worked like a charm. But I have two challenges: the first one is I cannot seem to get the OZ boot manager GUI to load (even though F12 works). 

The second issue is that F12 only works if I have a DVI monitor plugged in. If I am on a TB display, it seems to hang.

Are these known issues? Any known workarounds?

Any tips will be appreciated - but this thing is rocking! Thanks to everyone who has worked on it.

Can anybody confirm their CPU Multiplier and power management?   I can sleep and wake up fine, the CPU just does not throttle down while idle. The only way I know how to see this is via iStat Menus' Sensor widget

The Disabler.kext in bios blocks IntelCpuPowerManagement.

The question is on purpose?

The Disabler.kext in bios blocks IntelCpuPowerManagement.

The question is on purpose?

I would assume its needed for installing from 10.6 because the cpu would be unknown to AICPUPM and cause a panic. 

Has anybody ordered the board from QUO's website and received it ? Because shipping time is like one week and many kickstarters have not received their boards yet, just wondering

Ordered July 25th via website and recently received my shipping notice and alert that it has been picked up.

It appears they shipped 2-day USPS versus FedEx ground. Likely arrival on East Coast by Friday.

Hmm, anyone been able to get the audio to function under 10.8.4? HDA auto configure doesn't seem to work with this mobo. OS X detects the codecs but cant seem to figure out layout issues. Manually patching it ala the shell script does patch AppleHDA.Kext corectly but OS X still cant seem to make heads or tails of the port layout. ideas?

Hmm, anyone been able to get the audio to function under 10.8.4? HDA auto configure doesn't seem to work with this mobo. OS X detects the codecs but cant seem to figure out layout issues. Manually patching it ala the shell script does patch AppleHDA.Kext corectly but OS X still cant seem to make heads or tails of the port layout. ideas?

There is a whole bunch of information about how to patch AppleHDA right here on this website and it works with this board. Check the Hardware/ Audio Forum

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284004-script-to-patch-applehda-binary-for-osx107108/

There is a whole bunch of information about how to patch AppleHDA right here on this website and it works with this board. Check the Hardware/ Audio Forum

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284004-script-to-patch-applehda-binary-for-osx107108/

True, but I have yet to find one that works with this mobo. HDA script patch, bootloader patch, QUO legacy patch, HDA GUI patcher, nothing has worked so far. Hence why I was asking if anyone got it working.

cwestpha, what outputs are you using for audio and did you follow the instruction for the PatchALC892 running it from / and using the correct folder?

Its ok I got it. Had to throw together an HDAEnabler.kext, ugh I hate doing it this way so nasty and breaks with every update. The entire idea behind this thing was its supposed to just work once you get the bootloader configured (and that was supposed to be easy since most modern loaders have some intelligence with auto configuring). I hope they merge the HDA edits into the built-in DSDT like it was SUPPOSED to out of the box instead of needing to do them manually. Their implementation of ALC 892 seems to be detected right off the bat by the OS, its just they aren't supplying OS X with the addition device description information to auto-configure it so we can see the System manager Audio Pref Pane auto-populated by at-least the native mobo stuff. Shouldn't be to hard since the other OSs will just skip the additional lines that don't apply to it and OS X will just grab and load it.

Okay, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  I got my KS ProjectQ board, flashed the H3A.739M EFI image onto it, restored basic BIOS settings, and tried to boot off of a stock 10.8 flash drive.  It stops after the line

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel org.netkas.FakeSMC triggered rebuild

Nothing after that.  I don't have a graphics card installed, just 16GB of RAM and an Ivy Bridge i5-3570 CPU with HD4000 graphics.  From what I've seen, it seems like this should just work.  The only difference I can think of between this and systems that people are reporting success with is that most seem to be using an i7-3770.  If it really needs the i7, I'll get one, but it seemed like another HD4000 chip should work.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

Okay, I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  I got my KS ProjectQ board, flashed the H3A.739M EFI image onto it, restored basic BIOS settings, and tried to boot off of a stock 10.8 flash drive.  It stops after the line

considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel org.netkas.FakeSMC triggered rebuild

Nothing after that.

Boot the install disc with the -f flag and that should take care of this.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Just got a Quo motherboard and I'm trying to get OS X 10.8 running on it. Downloaded HermitCrab Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.723M.zip and successfully flashed it, then used a USB drive to install OS X... I was able to boot with the USB drive and started the installer but never got past the first screen (gray background with Apple logo and loading indicator below it). I don't think it crashed as the animation is still going but it's been more than 20 - 30 minutes already heh so I doubt it's working.

Using a Sandy Bridge i3 processor (is Ivy Bridge required?), 2 x 4GB RAM modules and an Intel SSD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Just got a Quo motherboard and I'm trying to get OS X 10.8 running on it. Downloaded HermitCrab Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.723M.zip and successfully flashed it, then used a USB drive to install OS X... I was able to boot with the USB drive and started the installer but never got past the first screen (gray background with Apple logo and loading indicator below it). I don't think it crashed as the animation is still going but it's been more than 20 - 30 minutes already heh so I doubt it's working.

Using a Sandy Bridge i3 processor (is Ivy Bridge required?), 2 x 4GB RAM modules and an Intel SSD.

Thanks.

Having just gone through this myself, I am now qualified to say: yes, you need an Ivy Bridge processor.  Specifically, one with HD4000 graphics.  So, the i7-3770, i7-3770K, or i5-3570K.

Well I have a 3770K and I loaded the H3A BIOS and was able to install Snow Leopard with no problems. Then I grabbed Mountain Lion from the store, and tried to make a bootable USB with it using Lion DiskMaker. It appears that the USB was done but the Lion DiskMaker app mentioned something about audio not working, yet when I replugged the USB in it seemed to be fine and I can actually boot off of it. I copied the InstallESD.dmg to the Desktop so I have an extra copy, and then proceeded to "upgrade" using the downloaded installer from the store. It rebooted twice, which seemed normal, and then started the install. After awhile the Apple logo turned to a blocked symbol(a circle with a slash through it) and wouldn't proceed any farther. And now booting into OSX doesn't work at all...

So I figured I would try out the USB I made, and it will not work either but actually gives me a message to try reinstalling.

Do I have to fix the audio with the legacy files before trying to create a USB or is there some other catch? My EVGA 680 Mac card(which is not even installed into the machine yet) says it requires Mountain Lion.

The H3A BIOS is layed out differently(at least the drive booting portion) than the stock F2N BIOS and genuinely feels more unstable. The boot logo disappears long before my 10 second timeout to a black screen. Also, I'm not sure why, but the H3A BIOS doesn't even show the keys to press when booting. At least I remember DEL is the BIOS access, gotta love randomly smashing keys at startup if you don't know them :)

Thanks.

I would say that the Sandy Bridge processor will work, but not out of the box.  I believe the problem is that the HD300 graphics aren't supported out of the box.  That is why it stays on the Apple logo.  Because the desktop probably loaded, you just can't see it because as far as OS X is concerned, you have no graphics card/processor.  So it seems to be more of a conventional Hackintosh if used with a Sandy Bridge processor, but I'm sure it will work.

Well I have a 3770K and I loaded the H3A BIOS and was able to install Snow Leopard with no problems. Then I grabbed Mountain Lion from the store, and tried to make a bootable USB with it using Lion DiskMaker. It appears that the USB was done but the Lion DiskMaker app mentioned something about audio not working, yet when I replugged the USB in it seemed to be fine and I can actually boot off of it. I copied the InstallESD.dmg to the Desktop so I have an extra copy, and then proceeded to "upgrade" using the downloaded installer from the store. It rebooted twice, which seemed normal, and then started the install. After awhile the Apple logo turned to a blocked symbol(a circle with a slash through it) and wouldn't proceed any farther. And now booting into OSX doesn't work at all...

So I figured I would try out the USB I made, and it will not work either but actually gives me a message to try reinstalling.

Do I have to fix the audio with the legacy files before trying to create a USB or is there some other catch? My EVGA 680 Mac card(which is not even installed into the machine yet) says it requires Mountain Lion.

The H3A BIOS is layed out differently(at least the drive booting portion) than the stock F2N BIOS and genuinely feels more unstable. The boot logo disappears long before my 10 second timeout to a black screen. Also, I'm not sure why, but the H3A BIOS doesn't even show the keys to press when booting. At least I remember DEL is the BIOS access, gotta love randomly smashing keys at startup if you don't know them :)

The note about audio when creating the USB drive isn't normal.  I would recreate it using the Disk Utility method and try again.  And no, the audio legacy patch does not need to be done before your install.  I also don't know about upgrading through the operating system.  I would create a USB with the downloaded Install Mountain Lion App and try that way instead.

Reboot loop

1. Powered up entered stock F2N and explored a few features
  2. Ran a bootable stress test on CPU and memory for several hours
  3. Flashed H3A.1307271205. First attempt failed. The previous version was automatically restored. Second attempt worked. I restored optimized defaults
  4. Booted the 10.8 installer and installed without any issues
  5. Experienced several KPs
  6. Stripped down to barebones and still experienced KPs
  7. Restarted and entered H3A. Experienced random freezes in the BIOS
  8. Attempted to reflash F2N from a backup on USB. Bios froze during flash and did not recover
  9. Reboot loop on startup. Case fan starts, CPU fan starts, system shuts down, repeat.
  10. Removed power, battery, and jumped CMOS reset. Waiting 5 minutes
  11. Still reboot loop.

Any suggestions.

Having just gone through this myself, I am now qualified to say: yes, you need an Ivy Bridge processor.  Specifically, one with HD4000 graphics.  So, the i7-3770, i7-3770K, or i5-3570K.

@toren , @flipit23

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I'll just grab a Core i7 3770 on Monday and try again... I'm using integrated graphics but the idea is to add a discrete GPU later. From what I've read so far the GTX 6xx series should work without issues on this board running OS X 10.8, is that correct? Are there any hardware compatibility guides out there listing all supported components?