OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Well I cannot disable it on QUO since I get the prohibitory sign on the Recovery Partition, MacOS and install partitions.  I removed the drive and boot on another mac and disabled it from there.

Also placed the Defaults.plist in /EFI/EFI/Oz.

Been working on this for the last two hours going to give up for now, continue tomorrow night.  Maybe I will refresh the firmware again.  Should I set Optimized defaults after the fresh firmware install followed by the Nvram reset?   Doesn't the Defaults.plist have the correct settings to disable SIP which I grabbed from page 153 or 154 don't remember but its for the iMac13,2 and I am using EVGA GT740 so the Defaults has Nvidia injection disabled which should work since this card does not need Nvidia injection its supported natively.

Can't figure out the issue!

Do u happen to have any other hard drives or partitions? If so, disable all other hard drives and partitions other than the boot drive and see if the drive boots into Sierra. 

• Like 1

Do u happen to have any other hard drives or partitions? If so, disable all other hard drives and partitions other than the boot drive and see if the drive boots into Sierra.

One SSD Samsung 850 pro 512gb. I'll remove the installer partition from it but what about the recovery just leave that one alone? So I noticed after I installed sierra on a different pc the EFI had no osmosis tree but once placed in the QUO, the tree was created so Osmosis bootloader must create it the first time I tried to boot the drive onto the QUO.

I'll try your suggestion Wednesday night. If that doesn't work I'll try the flash drive installer method.

One SSD Samsung 850 pro 512gb. I'll remove the installer partition from it but what about the recovery just leave that one alone? So I noticed after I installed sierra on a different pc the EFI had no osmosis tree but once placed in the QUO, the tree was created so Osmosis bootloader must create it the first time I tried to boot the drive onto the QUO.

I'll try your suggestion Wednesday night. If that doesn't work I'll try the flash drive installer method.

If its just the one hard drive, then my idea wont work. Ive run into the prohibition sign a couple times and for some reason, disabling the other hard drives and booting into macosx fixed the issue. Im sure someone ells will chime in and might be able to help you. Good luck. 

• Like 1

If its just the one hard drive, then my idea wont work. Ive run into the prohibition sign a couple times and for some reason, disabling the other hard drives and booting into macosx fixed the issue. Im sure someone ells will chime in and might be able to help you. Good luck.

I just thought of something when I updated the firmware the SSD was not in the QUO at that time, could that be the issue?

Oz will look for the QUO folder in the EFI partition that is closest according to BIOS... So when you move drives around you are asking for trouble. You should connect the drive you intend to hold the EFI partition (thus Defaults.plist) to The SATA 3 connector (the bottom one) because that is the first place the firmware is gonna look for it.

I just thought of something when I updated the firmware the SSD was not in the QUO at that time, could that be the issue?

It could be depending where that SSD was connected.

Oz will look for the QUO folder in the EFI partition that is closest according to BIOS... So when you move drives around you are asking for trouble. You should connect the drive you intend to hold the EFI partition (thus Defaults.plist) to The SATA 3 connector (the bottom one) because that is the first place the firmware is gonna look for it.

• Like 1

It could be depending where that SSD was connected.

I will start over.  I am not using a flash drive to install Sierra onto the SSD, I am creating an install partition onto the SSD using another PC then moving it back to the QUO SATA3 bottom connector (White) and I still get the prohibited sign when I boot to the installer?   I am guessing I may need to start the Sierra install from the flash drive while the SSD is already inside the QUO?

You have Defaults.plist on your SSD ?

Oh so I need to place that in the EFI but the Oz file structure is not there if I create the installer from another PC so manually create a EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist inside the EFI manually?

It is there now, but like I said it will not boot to the installer nor the installed Sierra MacOS, I get the prohibited circle of death!

I will start from scratch create only two partitions , one as the installer and the other to install MacOS from a flash drive.  Does the EFI on the flash drive have to contain the defaults.plist as well?

Oh so I need to place that in the EFI but the Oz file structure is not there if I create the installer from another PC so manually create a EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist inside the EFI manually?

It is there now, but like I said it will not boot to the installer nor the installed Sierra MacOS, I get the prohibited circle of death!

I will start from scratch create only two partitions , one as the installer and the other to install MacOS from a flash drive.  Does the EFI on the flash drive have to contain the defaults.plist as well?

Did you load the plist into NVRAM using Cmd-Alt-P-R at F12 boot list or in BIOS?

• Like 2

Did you load the plist into NVRAM using Cmd-Alt-P-R at F12 boot list or in BIOS?

Oh so the plist has to already be in the EFI then you run the Cmd-Alt-P-R at F12 to get that to load into the NVRAM?

Not sure what you mean by BIOS?  The BIOS is UEFI correct so I am assuming one of the modules contains the drivers like FakeSMC and a limited default.plist file or some config file to get the boot process forward right?  Are you referring to this when you say Bios, doesn't that already exist when you flash a new Osmosis firmware?

Anyhow enough about that, I need to think about this some more.

Edited 10-4-2017:

Something else has to be wrong I just cannot pinpoint the problem.  Am I creating the installers properly?  From diskutil I format the FLash drive or SSD drive the usual way for Mac.  Under options I choose GUID and File System as Mac OS extended (Journaled).  The EFI partition is created by default and as MS-DOS (FAT).  The only extra step I take for the SSD is to create two partitions, a smaller one for the installer and I create that 2nd partition at the end of the drive not the beginning.

I run this command to create the installers on either the SSD or Flash Drive:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/"Name of Drive" --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --nointeraction &&say Done

Am I creating the install media correctly for QUO or is it expecting a different method?   Once that is done I create a folder tree in both the SSD and Flash drive inside the EFI partition as /EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist.  I am using the iMac13,2 posted a few threads back.  I actually have the MacMini6,2 and iMac14,2 as well but using 13,2.

Even with the Flash drive I get the same Prohibitory Sign when I boot to it.  It almost sounds like something is wrong with the firmware I grabbed from DwdDrummer0 although I have no idea what could be wrong its the 167x Mas version.

I did notice every time I install the OS on the SSD from my laptop hackentosh it keeps creating a Logical Volume and have to fix it with Diskutil cs revert, and thought that might be why it would not boot the first few times which could be why but now that I fixed it, it still won't boot.

I actually don't think the kernel ever boots that sign shows up almost instantly.  How can one use Clover if Ozmosis is installed, would I have to revert back to the original QUO bios or can Clover boot from Ozmosis?

Am I creating the install media correctly for QUO or is it expecting a different method?   Once that is done I create a folder tree in both the SSD and Flash drive inside the EFI partition as /EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist.  I am using the iMac13,2 posted a few threads back.  I actually have the MacMini6,2 and iMac14,2 as well but using 13,2.

No no no, you don't create EFI the folder structure, the firmware will create the EFI folder structure. If it does not create it then it is not plugged in the right place. Once it is created , place Defaults.pist into /EFI/Oz boot and clear nvram. If you still get the no-no sign then your Defaults.plist is incorrect and the installer still think you have a MacPro3,1 and will refuse to install

• Like 2

The whole point for me is to not rely on Clover and I won't die if I don't run High Sierra today.

Success .. Clean Install High Sierra Oz only on external SSD (no APFS conversion) with iMac 13,2 and Nvidia Web Drivers.

More testing needed like testing an upgrade from 10.12.6

• Like 1

No no no, you don't create EFI the folder structure, the firmware will create the EFI folder structure. If it does not create it then it is not plugged in the right place. Once it is created , place Defaults.pist into /EFI/Oz boot and clear nvram. If you still get the no-no sign then your Defaults.plist is incorrect and the installer still think you have a MacPro3,1 and will refuse to install

It actually did create the folder layout in the EFI when I was getting the prohibitory sign.   I only created the EFI/Oz ahead of time because I erased the drive and started over.  So I will remove everything from EFI and place the drive in Port 0 mine is white not red for SATA3, then once I connect the drive and try to boot from it, it creates the file structure at that point or only after I manually reset the NVRAM as stated a few posts up?  The Defaults.plist is from a few posts back for iMac13,2 I will look inside of the plist again to make sure.   SO I am assuming the same goes with the Flash Drive installer, just place it into the USB try to boot from it and the file structure will be created on the USB EFI partition?

If all still fails I have to blame the rom and will find a different copy or if you can post a known 100% working copy, I will re-flash it and start the process all over again.  If the Defaults.plist does have verbose by default then for sure its not reading it because its not verbose boot.   I will also boot to shell and look over the bdmesg log to see exactly why these drives are not booting.  At least the USB flash drive should boot and its not?

The EFI partition the USB Installer does not matter because Oz does not look for Defaults.plist in the boot drive but the drive that is 'closest to BIOS'. You reset nvram because Oz will not overwrite a variable that is already defined.

This works for Sierra (adjust if you don't have a GTX card)

Thanks giving that one a try. I grabbed three Defaults.plist from Tosk post page 151 I believe he had 3 of them one for MacMini6,1 iMac13,2 and 14,2 I assumed they would work but maybe I need to grab one of yours known to work.

Edited:

Finally able to boot so must have been the Defaults.plist I grabbed from Tosk post. So now the only issue remains is Waiting for Dsmos to arrive. I am assuming FakeSMC is not loading because eventually I get to the desktop after several minutes but to a grey/white screen with the Apple beach ball. I never see Dsmos has arrived during boot nor do I see FakeSMC loading at the beginning of boot. I have already disabled SIP with the csrutil disable.

I have the EVGA GT 740 graphics card so I left the setting in defaults.plist for disable inject nvdia as yes. Even tried setting this to no and getting beachball on white screen so looks like FakeSMC must not be loading.

Thanks giving that one a try. I grabbed three Defaults.plist from Tosk post page 151 I believe he had 3 of them one for MacMini6,1 iMac13,2 and 14,2 I assumed they would work but maybe I need to grab one of yours known to work.

Edited:

Finally able to boot so must have been the Defaults.plist I grabbed from Tosk post. So now the only issue remains is Waiting for Dsmos to arrive. I am assuming FakeSMC is not loading because eventually I get to the desktop after several minutes but to a grey/white screen with the Apple beach ball. I never see Dsmos has arrived during boot nor do I see FakeSMC loading at the beginning of boot. I have already disabled SIP with the csrutil disable.

I have the EVGA GT 740 graphics card so I left the setting in defaults.plist for disable inject nvdia as yes. Even tried setting this to no and getting beachball on white screen so looks like FakeSMC must not be loading.

If you get to the desktop then DSMOS has arrived.

Every time you modify defaults.plist you must clear nvram for changes to take effect

• Like 1

If you get to the desktop then DSMOS has arrived.

Every time you modify defaults.plist you must clear nvram for changes to take effect

Not the Desktop just before you would get to the Desktop. I have a White/Grey background with the Apple Beach ball spinning. Doesn't that mean FakeSMC has not loaded? I need to export the bdmesg will that have a log of all the kexts being loaded from Ozmosis? When I run it from the shell I don't see all the text that had passed by from the top.

Edited:

Can you please look over my Defaults.plist something just does not look correct. I copied your code a few posts back but when I paste them into the PlistEditorPro I see "Date" under root not sure what the heck that is there for? Also should I choose YES for "DisableNvidiaInjection" My Graphics card is a EVGA GT740 and this is suppose to be supported without injection. I do not use Web Drivers so can I remove nvda_drv=1 or will it be ignored? Should I remove "DisableNvidiaInjection" altogether? I read several posts back you had said to remove it for that person's situation.

I have the same issue with the integrated graphics card it gets stuck at sound assertion then eventually goes into a grey/white screen with beach ball. Is something wrong with that defaults.plist.

This is crazy never struggled this much in any of my pcs with Clover.

Thanks!

Edited again sorry:

Ok Infinally got to Desktop I re-flashed the firmware using the one you posted. Something was wrong with the one that attached a couple posts up. Can you still have a look at my Defaults.plist. Not sure if Date should be there for one and check if csr setting is correct.

Thanks!

Defaults.plist.zip

Your SystemSerial and Base board serials do not match ...

Also make sure you took the stuff from the link I had provided you and nothing else.

Try this 

Weird I got those values generated from Clover Configurator.  Not sure why they mismatched?   When I open this file in PlistEditorPro it has this Date field above is that correct?  SO Base Board Serial is not the Board Serial Number and if not then Clover does not generate that one.

post-135888-0-19102600-1507297190_thumb.png

post-135888-0-75005300-1507297747_thumb.png

Yes the Date field is correct

Remember to clear nvram after updating Defaults.plist

Everything working great now thanks!

So what do you think about the USB Power Property Injection for Sierra and later Rehabman's thread, is this something that the developers may be looking at in the newer releases of Ozmosis?

How can I export the DSDT and SSDT's like we can in Clover and export the bdmesg from the EFI shell?  Is there any way of temporarily running a boot command like nv_disable=1 or is the only way would be to write to nvram from the EFI shell?

Thanks Again!

Everything working great now thanks!

How can I export the DSDT and SSDT's like we can in Clover and export the bdmesg from the EFI shell?  Is there any way of temporarily running a boot command like nv_disable=1 or is the only way would be to write to nvram from the EFI shell?

Thanks Again!

ACPI Loader mode in Defaults.plist .. look at wiki you can have Ozmosis dump the SSDT and DSDT

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The Power Properties in the BIOS are correct.

• Like 1

ACPI Loader mode in Defaults.plist .. look at wiki you can have Ozmosis dump the SSDT and DSDT

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

The Power Properties in the BIOS are correct.

Thats what I would think to but closer examination in the ioreg, power properties not there.  I created an SSDT per instructions and placed that in ACPI/Load and now all those messages about USB during verbose boot are gone and the Ioreg now shows AppleBusPowerControllerUSB as it should like in real macs.

Below is the code I added to SSDT since Device EC was not in Ioreg nor is it in the DSDT from a MacIASL extract, could not get DSDT/SSDT dumps to work as per Wiki add these two lines of code in Defaults.plist.

Not getting ACPI dumps with this code below.

<key>AcpiLoaderMode</key>
<integer>0x45</integer>

Code added to a SSDT then placed in /EFI/Oz/Acpi/Load

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "EC", 0x00000000)
{
    Device (_SB.EC)
    {
        Name (_HID, "EC000000")  // _HID: Hardware ID
    }
}

All of this can be found if you google:

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra (and later)

Below is a screenshot of what should be in the Ioreg for Sierra and greater.

post-135888-0-33588200-1507421807_thumb.png