OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Well I can say that it works perfectly and have said pretty much so previously over on kickstarter.  There are several over there who are using the custom BIOS and nobody has complained about it to my knowledge.  It's pretty freakin' sweet.  This board, once flashed to the custom BIOS that is not shipped or provided by Quo, is totally ready to go.  Pop in your installation media and OS X doesn't give you any problems.  The only thing not working at that point is audio.  Install the motherboard's legacy audio kexts with a couple terminal commands, reboot.  All is working beautifully.  I've done a couple reinstalls and it was just as easy every time.

can u upload a picture of ozmosis gui and all settings that u have in ozmosis.

Thx.

I haven't seen the actual boot loader or any GUI.  It goes straight to white Apple boot screen, unless you hit one of the keys for BIOS or boot devices.  I'm sure there is probably a keystroke to stop the default boot  but I do not know it.  I will be happy to give any suggestions a try though

I haven't seen the actual boot loader or any GUI.  It goes straight to white Apple boot screen, unless you hit one of the keys for BIOS or boot devices.  I'm sure there is probably a keystroke to stop the default boot  but I do not know it.  I will be happy to give any suggestions a try though

Delete, or any of the F-keys?  Is there a manual or PDF that might explain boot options or configuration?

Oh, so I guess you are just talking about the BIOS in general, not a separated boot loader interface.  I'll have to look at it again, as I know there were some options in regards to boot up.  I just don't remember specifically what they were.

Oh, so I guess you are just talking about the BIOS in general, not a separated boot loader interface.  I'll have to look at it again, as I know there were some options in regards to boot up.  I just don't remember specifically what they were.

home key its for enter ozmosis gui.

Plz make some screenstots.

The link is up now.  Over the last week since I have had my board, the OZ link has been up and down numerous times.  

I tried the Home button when booting.  It did not seem to do anything but slow down my boot time.

The link is up now.  Over the last week since I have had my board, the OZ link has been up and down numerous times.  

I tried the Home button when booting.  It did not seem to do anything but slow down my boot time.

it says like this

INSTRUCTIONS

OZ Boot Manager GUI

Tap HOME key
Use mouse to select OS to boot into. You may also use F12 to access BIOS Boot Manager and select your favorite OS. Simply tap F12 on boot up. 
Verbose: When in Boot Selection Alt + V (fixing bug please just tap V once) and then make your choice. 

Considering you can boot up with nothing but FakeSMC and a bootloader already on pretty much all Gigabyte 7x series boards, what is the big deal here?  The ethernet not requiring one kext?

Thats pretty much every board if you know what you are doing. There is nothing special at all with GB boards. Just cool aid that you have been drinking to much of from another site. 

• Like 1

Yeah but the actual link takes you here:

https://mrq7bqbfgwmjzd5m.tor2web.org/Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.739M.zip

Which seems to be rev 739M.

And that is the version that flashes, H3A.739. Anyone who has followed the link and downloaded the modified bios has seen the comments below and it's part of understanding the next step. I left my 650Ti card in at first and it complicated the flashing process for me, once I removed the card and used the HD4000 graphics built into the CPU things went great. At some point I'm going to want to tackle using an external video card again but for the time being its good and 100% functioning.  

I used a flash drive with ML 10.8.3 and once it was done it rebooted and I was good except for on board audio, there are a couple of fixes for that out out there including in this thread. 

Welcome to The HermitCrab Labs

We like to present you our first Ozmosis (OZ) release!

BIOS

Z77MXQUOAOS.H3A.723M.zip

ZIP:

MD5: 42920fd6bb7f4b9fef07cf4020b2faea

SHA-1: 98f7333ba639754e498ae19cdd523eec948c37cd

BIOS:

MD5: 0075a1008cef8f2dbac913a27ebdc061

SHA-1: c81c777ac121e4061f1b8322a0106a04d7589ad2

Click on the link above, download OZ and unzip to any Fat32 USB flash drive.

Restart with USB flash drive and tap 'End' Key on reboot.

Flash new BIOS

After system verifies flashing, computer will reboot twice.

Enjoy.

INSTRUCTIONS

OZ Boot Manager GUI

Tap HOME key

Use mouse to select OS to boot into. You may also use F12 to access BIOS Boot Manager and select your favorite OS. Simply tap F12 on boot up.

Verbose: When in Boot Selection Alt + V (fixing bug please just tap V once) and then make your choice.

Install from DVD

Insert 10.6.3 DVD

Restart Computer

Tap F12

Select Mac OSX Install DVD

Graphics Cards

Install your compatible [OS specific] GFX

After flashing Init Display and Integrated Graphics will be set to AUTO To use Graphics Card set Init Display : IGPU, Integrated Graphics : Enabled

Restart Computer

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I wanted to report that I finally got to building my box, flashing the ProjectQ motherboard and installing 10.8.4 today. Sweet! Installs from normal retail USB installer without issue. Everything worked except Audio. Installed ALC892 from Toleda to get that working.

Then I got greedy and decided to boot a drive from a MBP.  Everything fired right up! Amazing! I had to install FakeSMC & Plugins to get temp sensors working in iStat Menus and install audio drivers.  Is there a better way to get temp sensors and audio working?

The only issue I can detect is that my CPU multiplier is fixed at the maximum.  My Chameleon system will scale down to 1.6GHz to 3.2GHz to save power. Any idea how to get power management working on the ProjectQ?

Thanks!

Install from DVD

Insert 10.6.3 DVD

I am sorry but 10.6.3 is not supporting SandyBridge or later while you tell about Z77 motherboard?

Is this guide proved? 

• Like 4

I am sorry but 10.6.3 is not supporting SandyBridge or later while you tell about Z77 motherboard?

Is this guide proved?

I can confirm this works. This board with the H3A bios can boot directly to an unmodified 10.6.3 retail install DVD. Install went fine, even software update to 10.6.8. I am going to try some PPC apps....

Hi Guys,

I wanted to report that I finally got to building my box, flashing the ProjectQ motherboard and installing 10.8.4 today. Sweet! Installs from normal retail USB installer without issue. Everything worked except Audio. Installed ALC892 from Toleda to get that working.

Then I got greedy and decided to boot a drive from a MBP.  Everything fired right up! Amazing! I had to install FakeSMC & Plugins to get temp sensors working in iStat Menus and install audio drivers.  Is there a better way to get temp sensors and audio working?

The only issue I can detect is that my CPU multiplier is fixed at the maximum.  My Chameleon system will scale down to 1.6GHz to 3.2GHz to save power. Any idea how to get power management working on the ProjectQ?

Thanks!

I am also wondering about what the best way for hardware monitoring is on this board.  I guess there is nothing that will work correctly without installing additional kexts?

And it's like I said earlier, as you found out by now, and thus whatever the other guy said... it can be done. You should now be able to boot from your HFS partitions ;)

And wrong again. Just by adding hfsplus.efi you still can't use boot.efi to boot up OS X. That requires some more work. For a start you need at least add support for fat efi files, then write the fsb into the device tree and fix the aptio memory map {censored}. Also a custom smbios is required. Otherwise boot.efi won't even start the kernel. ;)

• Like 3

And wrong again. Just by adding hfsplus.efi you still can't use boot.efi to boot up OS X. That requires some more work. For a start you need at least add support for fat efi files, then write the fsb into the device tree and fix the aptio memory map {censored}. Also a custom smbios is required. Otherwise boot.efi won't even start the kernel. ;)

u didnt understand why in first place i put hfsplus in bios.

It wass becouse of Clover and clover can use this driver from bios and then its no need to have this in drivers64uefi folder.

u didnt understand why in first place i put hfsplus in bios.

It wass becouse of Clover and clover can use this driver from bios and then its no need to have this in drivers64uefi folder.

Trust me I do understand you. But I was referring to that other guy.

yoyostring,

You did nothing but flash the board and boot from the 10.6.3 retail disk?

No previous installations on the drive that may have had an effect on your results?

That is correct. There is no /boot on the drive. I used the BOOT override section in the BIOS configuration (DEL) to select my boot drive. F12 doesn't work for me like the web page mentions (Pressing F12 results in no boot for me, doesn't even display the boot drive selection just shows black on the monitor.)

PPC apps work on 10.6.8 with this Board and the H3A BIOS.

Unfortunately the screen res defaults to 1024x768 instead of my monitor's native 1920x1200. This BIOS also does this for Windows and ML until the login screen appears. I am using a GTX660TI and I didn't change any BIOS settings from default. If I find a good deal on a single slot graphics card that works with 10.6 and 10.8 I might try that.