OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Thanks!

I am running into an issue now. After booting to the USB installer for Sierra, it goes into verbose mode. From there it goes to a grey screen and just gives me the beachball.

I have tried two different USB flash drives, in two separate ports.

The bios version I am using is H20.167x-MASS, but I also tried the imac13,2 version made by Tosk. I get the same issue with both.

Am I doing something wrong? I have verified that the Defaults.plist file is in the EFI/OZ folder

Im pretty sure your going to want to use H20.167x-MASS Bios instead of the other made by Tosk. I think you might have a conflict when using that defaults.plist and using Tosk's bios which 13,2 is imbedded into. I could be wrong, but id stick with H20.167x-MASS. As to your issue with USB installer, I would try again and let it run with the beachball for 20-30 min then come back and see if your in the installer. Ive noticed sometimes that it takes a while for the usb installer to fully initialize at times. If your still having issues, Id try to make an usb installer with this utility and see if that fixes your issue https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/. This is the same app I used to get into the USB installer

Thanks!

I am running into an issue now. After booting to the USB installer for Sierra, it goes into verbose mode. From there it goes to a grey screen and just gives me the beachball.

I have tried two different USB flash drives, in two separate ports.

The bios version I am using is H20.167x-MASS, but I also tried the imac13,2 version made by Tosk. I get the same issue with both.

Am I doing something wrong? I have verified that the Defaults.plist file is in the EFI/OZ folder

You say you're booting to the USB drive, but where is the EFI partition?  If it is on your SSD, how is it being read?

BTW, I've described my tale of woe above.  I can get mine to boot to the USB, and I got past the grey screen that you were seeing.  To get past that, you have to make sure the SIP is disabled.  However, I can't get past the following message in the console:  error: busy timeout[0], (240s) kexts wait(0): 'AppleACPICPU'.  If someone can figure that one out, I'd appreciate it.  Something with the BIOS maybe, any thoughts?

Scott ... make sure the second line of your Defaults.plist reads (because the first time I posted it it got modified by the boards) :

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

you also have to clear NVRAM after placing the Defaults.plist in /EFI/Oz of the EFI partition. Ozmosis will not replace any value that is already defined (they can be defined by the built-in Defaults.plist imbedded in the BIOS). Also i want to be sure about one thing ..do you get the grey screen using the installer or after installation on first boot ?

Toastie ... have you tried to boot in single-user mode  (not safe mode) ... you have to hold 's' until you get a shell prompt

and from there .. the symptoms you are describing seem to indicate that FakeSMC is not loaded.

csrutil disable
sudo shutdown -r NOW

This will disable SIP for sure

Scott ... make sure the second line of your Defaults.plist reads (because the first time I posted it it got modified by the boards) :

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

you also have to clear NVRAM after placing the Defaults.plist in /EFI/Oz of the EFI partition. Ozmosis will not replace any value that is already defined (they can be defined by the built-in Defaults.plist imbedded in the BIOS). Also i want to be sure about one thing ..do you get the grey screen using the installer or after installation on first boot ?

Toastie ... have you tried to boot in single-user mode  (not safe mode) ... you have to hold 's' until you get a shell prompt

and from there .. the symptoms you are describing seem to indicate that FakeSMC is not loaded.

csrutil disable
sudo shutdown -r NOW

I don't think SIP is the issue, but I think you are right about FakeSMC.  I thought it was part of Ozmosis?  Unless it is somehow disabled.  I'm not sure how to check, or force it on.  

You would get that if you were using the non-Sierra patched XMAS BIOS image...

In any case, SIP will prevent loading any non-signed kernel extensions so you have to tell SIP to not bother about kext ( thus disable). The other alternative is to install FakeSMC into /Library/Extensions yourself (but SIP must still be told to not bother)

IronMan! 

That Defaults.plist worked out AMAZING! You are incredible my friend. Very smooth upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra. Send me your PayPal address, your next couple of beers are on me.

Your gratitude will be enough and I did not have to wait for payment transfer to get to those beers :)

• Like 1

You would get that if you were using the non-Sierra patched XMAS BIOS image...

In any case, SIP will prevent loading any non-signed kernel extensions so you have to tell SIP to not bother about kext ( thus disable). The other alternative is to install FakeSMC into /Library/Extensions yourself (but SIP must still be told to not bother)

Your gratitude will be enough and I did not have to wait for payment transfer to get to those beers :)

Hahahah. Ok well the offer still stands if you would like to send over your paypal address in a PM. Thanks again, upgraded to 10.12.3 without any issues also.

csrutil disable
sudo shutdown -r NOW

Holding 'S' and restart did nothing.  I could boot to recovery and ran the above commands, but that didn't seem to help.  Got the same messages, and after that I've been looking at the grey screen with beachball for about 40 minutes now.  I just don't get what's going on here.  If I'm running 10.11, I must have SIP disabled, right?

Holding 'S' and restart did nothing.  I could boot to recovery and ran the above commands, but that didn't seem to help.  Got the same messages, and after that I've been looking at the grey screen with beachball for about 40 minutes now.  I just don't get what's going on here.  If I'm running 10.11, I must have SIP disabled, right?

Getting the correct timing to enter Single-User Mode  is not easy but if you issued csrutil disable from Recovery HD then it will disable SIP for sure.

If it runs El Capitan it can run Sierra..

Let's take this from the top...

Please confirm that your signature reflects your current configuration completely and accurately.

How many monitors ? Describe how they are connected

In /EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist present ? (if so post its content)

In /EFI/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/ anything there ?

Anything in /Library/Extensions ?

Please post /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Holding 'S' and restart did nothing. I could boot to recovery and ran the above commands, but that didn't seem to help. Got the same messages, and after that I've been looking at the grey screen with beachball for about 40 minutes now. I just don't get what's going on here. If I'm running 10.11, I must have SIP disabled, right?

I'm not the expert here, but did you just hold S or Command+S? According to the Ozmosis read me it should be the latter. I've found it easier to do if I hit f12 at boot to bring up the boot list and then hold command+s (or command+v for verbose boot) immediately after you hit enter on your selection.

I have verified that the second line is correct. I have cleared NVRAM.

I get the grey screen when using the installer, it does not make it to the installer but instead beachballs.

I have verified that the second line is correct. I have cleared NVRAM.

I get the grey screen when using the installer, it does not make it to the installer but instead beachballs.

I am pretty sure it is related to the GTX 660 and/or because you have 3 monitors ...

OK let's see if you can get the Installer to kick in ...

on the USB installer in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

replace

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

by

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v nv_disable=1</string>

And reboot into the Installer

I am pretty sure it is related to the GTX 660 and/or because you have 3 monitors ...

on the USB installer in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

replace

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
by
<key>Kernel Flags</key>

Don't discount things you'd never think would affect it either. I remember when I was having issues booting with my GTX 690 after my sierra install and it turned out to be my WD thunderbolt time machine drive. Unplugged it and it booted no problem. But that 660 might be it too. Removing it and booting with one monitor off the iGPU might get you into the installer. Another of my problems was that I was somehow unknowingly using an internal test build of Oz, but that's probably not it.

replace

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>

by

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

I now only get a black screen.

Previously I could see it going into verbose mode and then it gave me a grey screen. Now it is just a black screen.

Ok try something different

In Defaults.plist remove

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>
<true/>
Reset NVRAM and reboot.

Try it with and without the kernel flags in com.apple.Boot.plist

With the kernel flag is goes into verbose mode and then restarts a few seconds later.

Without the kernel flag it gets me to the grey screen and then beachballs.

Edited by scottroadjack

Getting the correct timing to enter Single-User Mode  is not easy but if you issued csrutil disable from Recovery HD then it will disable SIP for sure.

If it runs El Capitan it can run Sierra..

Let's take this from the top...

Please confirm that your signature reflects your current configuration completely and accurately.

How many monitors ? Describe how they are connected

In /EFI/Oz/Defaults.plist present ? (if so post its content)

In /EFI/Oz/Darwin/Extensions/Common/ anything there ?

Anything in /Library/Extensions ?

Please post /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Booted to single user mode, when I ran csrutil disable, it said it could only run from Recovery mode.  Booted to recovery mode, ran it and rebooted.

To answer your questions, this is what I have for my working El Capitan install:

1.  Updated to reflect that I updated to the BIOS posted by elviejo in post 3143.

2.  Single monitor now, connected to the mini HDMI port on the 650Ti video card

3.  Defaults.plist:  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Version</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>Date</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>Defaults:4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>

<dict>

<key>platform-uuid</key>

<string>FD8E6591-067A-44CE-8ABF-94DE806EBE81</string>

<key>BiosVersion</key>

<string>IM131.88Z.010A.B05.1210121459</string>

<key>BiosDate</key>

<string>10/12/2012</string>

<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>

<string>iMac-Aluminum</string>

<key>ProductId</key>

<string>Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4</string>

<key>Manufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>ProductFamily</key>

<string>iMac</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>iMac13,2</string>

<key>SystemSerial</key>

<string>SERIAL</string>

<key>BaseBoardSerial</key>

<string>SERIALABCD</string>

<key>FirmwareVendor</key>

<string>Apple</string>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82</key>

<dict>

<key>boot-args</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>csr-active-config</key>

<integer>103</integer>

</dict>

<key>Defaults:1F8E0C02-58A9-4E34-AE22-2B63745FA101</key>

<dict>

<key>AndroidDiskOptionTemplate</key>

<string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid androidboot.hardware=android_x86 ro SRC=$path</string>

<key>AndroidDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>BootEntryTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinCoreStorageTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label</string>

<key>DarwinRecoveryDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label ($platform.$major.$minor)</string>

<key>LinuxDiskOptionTemplate</key>

<string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid ro</string>

<key>LinuxDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label $build</string>

<key>LinuxRescueDiskTemplate</key>

<string>$label Rescue</string>

<key>LinuxRescueOptionTemplate</key>

<string>initrd=$initfs root=UUID=$uuid ro</string>

<key>DisableNvidiaInjection</key>

<true/>

<key>DisableVoodooHda</key>

<false/>

</dict>

</dict></plist>

4.  Empty

5.  Attached screenshot

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

post-285489-0-77054000-1485486524_thumb.png

I just updated from El Capitan to Sierra.  Once I found the Sierra Patched XMAS Bios and sorted out a little monitor issue, it appears to be running fine.  I just wanted to say thank you to all you people brilliant people i will likely never meet who provide this resource and continuing to update and patch the Bios and help trouble shoot.  After several updates I have now gotten to the point where I can update and trouble shoot it myself without posting panicked messages on this forum.  I really appreciate what you all do it's been of tremendous value to me.  I got in a little over my head when i bought this machine (not being a programmer and only having a video editors understanding of computers) but my quo has been running for almost 4 years now and I've learned a lot thanks to you.  

• Like 2

Hi!

I have been running my quo board for a long time now and wanted to upgrade to sierra.

1. I flashed the new bios (modified x-mass from elviejo), left my working defaults.plist (the one that IronManJFF posted) and SSDT in the EFI.

2. Four finger nvram reset.

3. I started the upgrade from the sierra upgrade app in /Applications.

4. Now it is stuck at the apple boot screen with a beach ball.

This is the last output before the apple screen with a loader and a beach ball: http://imgur.com/CL7zUxg

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've tried to boot to the recovery partition but it suddenly reboot in the boot process.

Hi!

I have been running my quo board for a long time now and wanted to upgrade to sierra.

1. I flashed the new bios (modified x-mass from elviejo), left my working defaults.plist (the one that IronManJFF posted) and SSDT in the EFI.

2. Four finger nvram reset.

3. I started the upgrade from the sierra upgrade app in /Applications.

4. Now it is stuck at the apple boot screen with a beach ball.

This is the last output before the apple screen with a loader and a beach ball: http://imgur.com/CL7zUxg

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've tried to boot to the recovery partition but it suddenly reboot in the boot process.

I see you're getting the exact same message about AppleACPICPU that I get.  In some ways that is comforting, as I hadn't heard anyone else reporting it.  I'm not using any SSDT, and I'm trying to run the install from a USB installer, not the downloaded one.  I am able to boot to recovery however.  It is thought that FakeSMC is not getting loaded, which would happen if SIP is not disabled, but in my case, it is.  I can see in the installer console before it scrolls off that it is trying to load FakeSMC, and fails.

If you come across a solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

• Like 1

I see you're getting the exact same message about AppleACPICPU that I get.  In some ways that is comforting, as I hadn't heard anyone else reporting it.  I'm not using any SSDT, and I'm trying to run the install from a USB installer, not the downloaded one.  I am able to boot to recovery however.  It is thought that FakeSMC is not getting loaded, which would happen if SIP is not disabled, but in my case, it is.  I can see in the installer console before it scrolls off that it is trying to load FakeSMC, and fails.

If you come across a solution, I'd be happy to hear it.

{censored}. Thanks for answering, I hoped it would be an easy fix. I guess I will try to reflash, go over some basic stuff etc but I have no idea how to fix this at it's core :(

Edit: I flashed Tosk's bios and managed to get it to boot to recovery disk and my 10.10 disk. But I still have the same problem with the 10.12. Same thing when trying to boot to the 10.12 installer.

I could not use Diskmaker X - it never shows up as a bootable drive, which is basically why I took the upgrade path. But "Install Disk Creator" boots to the AppleACPICPU error.

I checked SIP and made sure it was off, sure was. I've also tried different default.plist's, put fakesmc.kext in my 10.12 library and removed my BT + GTX960 - no go.

I'm pretty much done. Can't find more things to try. :(

Can someone confirm that the 167X-MASS in the wiki is the Sierra patched BIOS?

MD5 differs from my other 167X-MASS sierra fixed BIOS that I downloaded from elviejo's post. Either I had a corrupted download/USB or I mixed it up with the old vanilla version (I can't see how, but It's possible).

This one works perfectly, thank you IronMan!