OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

I removed the GFX card, re-flashed the firmware with H2O.167X-MASS, rebuilt the USB installer. Without the -v in the boot args, the display just sits at the Apple logo, otherwise I get a black screen with -v. Still no success booting the installer for El Capitan 10.11.5 on OZ.

Anything that I am missing, before going with a different bootloader? I can send darwindumper dumps if that helps.

I removed the GFX card, re-flashed the firmware with H2O.167X-MASS, rebuilt the USB installer. Without the -v in the boot args, the display just sits at the Apple logo, otherwise I get a black screen with -v. Still no success booting the installer for El Capitan 10.11.5 on OZ.

Anything that I am missing, before going with a different bootloader? I can send darwindumper dumps if that helps.

Use this method to make the installer, is for Yosemite but works with El Capitan too.

How to make a bootable OS X 10.10 Yosemite install drive

Use Disk Utility

You’ll find Disk Utility, a handy app that ships with OS X, in /Applications/Utilities. Here are the steps for using it to create your installer drive. The procedure is a bit more involved with Yosemite than it was for Mavericks (which was itself a bit more involved than under Mountain Lion and Lion).

1. Once you’ve downloaded Yosemite, find the installer on your Mac. It’s called Install OS X Yosemite.app and it should have been downloaded to your main Applications folder (/Applications).
  2. Right-click (or Control+click) the installer, and choose Show Package Contents from the resulting contextual menu.
  3. In the folder that appears, open Contents, then open Shared Support; you’ll see a disk image file called InstallESD.dmg.
  4. Double-click InstallESD.dmg in the Finder to mount its volume. That volume will appear in the Finder as OS X Install ESD; open it to view its contents.
  5. Several of the files you’ll need to work with are hidden in the Finder, and you need to make them visible. Open the Terminal app (in /Application/Utilities), then type (or copy and paste) the following command, and then press Return:defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 && killall Finder

(This tells the Finder to show hidden files—we’ll re-hide such files later.)

6. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities) and then drag BaseSystem.dmg (in the OS X Install ESD volume) into Disk Utility’s left-hand sidebar.
  7. Select BaseSystem.dmg in Disk Utility’s sidebar, and then click the Restore button in the main part of the window.
  8. Drag the BaseSystem.dmg icon into the Source field on the right (if it isn’t already there).
  9. Connect to your Mac the properly formatted hard drive or flash drive you want to use for your bootable Yosemite installer.
  10. In Disk Utility, find this destination drive in the left sidebar. You may see a couple partitions under the drive: one named EFI and another with the name you see for the drive in the Finder. Drag the latter—the one with the drive name—into the Destination field on the right. (If the destination drive has additional partitions, just drag the partition you want to use as your bootable installer volume.)
  11. Warning: This step will erase the destination drive or partition, so make sure that it doesn’t contain any valuable data. Click Restore, and then click Erase in the dialog box that appears; if prompted, enter an admin-level username and password.
  12. Wait for the restore procedure to finish, which should take just a few minutes.
  13. Open the destination drive—the one you’re using for your bootable installer drive, which has been renamed OS X Base System. Inside that drive, open the System folder, and then open the Installation folder. You’ll see an alias called Packages. Delete that alias.
  14. Open the mounted OS X Install ESD volume, and you’ll see a folder called Packages. Drag that folder into the Installation folder on your destination drive. (You're replacing the deleted Packages alias with this Packages folder.) The folder is about 4.6GB in size, so the copy will take a bit of time, especially if you’re copying to a slow thumb drive.
  15. Also in the mounted OS X Install ESD volume, you’ll find files named BaseSystem.chunklist and BaseSystem.dmg. Copy these files to the root (top) level of your install drive (OS X Base System, not into the System or Installation folder).
  16. Eject the OS X Install ESD volume.
  17. You’ll likely want to re-hide invisible files in the Finder. Open the Terminal app, type (or copy and paste) the following command, and then press Return:defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 0 && killall Finder

You now have a bootable Yosemite install drive. If you like, you can rename the drive from OS X Base System to something more descriptive, such as Yosemite Installer.

• Like 1

I finally got it booting into EL Capitan; loaded optimized defaults in Bios; disabled my internal drives; cleared NVRAM; setvar on the SIP; then booted from a USB SSD with El Capitan installed from my iMac.

Now I am back to work on getting EL Capitan installed on my internal drive

That is good news, you already have Ozmosis albeit it is a pretty old version.

It should be straightforward..

Use DiskUtility to mount the EFI partition, in Finder look into that partition and see if you have a QUO folder, if so look to see if you have any file at the root level of the QUO folder (it is probbly empty but wanna make sure) then unmount the EFI partition ( it is important to unmount it before Logout/Shutdown)

If empty the next step would be to flash with the current BIOS and reboot in to OS X 10.8.5 (you want to make sure you have a working setup before upgrading to El Cap)

Hey, sorry it has been a while, but I have not been working at the office with the QUO, but now I am back.

So I added the debug menu to Disk Utility and I see 3 partitions on my startup disk:

disk0s1  - which I can't seem to get to mount

Macintosh HD

Recovery HD

I don't see an EFI partition.

Hey, sorry it has been a while, but I have not been working at the office with the QUO, but now I am back.

So I added the debug menu to Disk Utility and I see 3 partitions on my startup disk:

disk0s1  - which I can't seem to get to mount

Macintosh HD

Recovery HD

I don't see an EFI partition.

This is weird because from what you had already provided (diskutil list output) disk0s1 is the EFI partition.

In terminal do this

diskutil verifyDisk disk0
diskutil verifyVolume disk0s1

provide output

This is weird because from what you had already provided (diskutil list output) disk0s1 is the EFI partition.

In terminal do this

diskutil verifyDisk disk0
diskutil verifyVolume disk0s1

provide output

OK, output is as follows, looks like the second command did not work.

unknown485d6076dd40:~ edit2$ diskutil verifyDisk disk0

Started partition map verification on disk0

Checking prerequisites

Checking the partition list

Checking for an EFI system partition

Checking the EFI system partition's size

Checking the EFI system partition's file system

Checking all HFS data partition loader spaces

Checking Core Storage Physical Volume partitions

The partition map appears to be OK

Finished partition map verification on disk0

unknown485d6076dd40:~ edit2$ diskutil verifyVolume disk0s1

Error starting file system verification for disk0s1: Unrecognized file system (-69846)

diskutil list

again ..

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1

2:                  Apple_HFS 3and2 Mac hd            239.2 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk1s1

2:                  Apple_HFS Data                    2.0 TB     disk1s2

/dev/disk2

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk2

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk2s1

2:                 Apple_RAID                         3.0 TB     disk2s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk2s3

/dev/disk3

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk3

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk3s1

2:                 Apple_RAID                         3.0 TB     disk3s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk3s3

/dev/disk4

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *3.0 TB     disk4

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk4s1

2:                 Apple_RAID                         3.0 TB     disk4s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk4s3

/dev/disk5

0:                  Apple_HFS Internal Raid          *9.0 TB     disk5

/dev/disk6

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *9.0 TB     disk6

1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk6s1

2:                  Apple_HFS G-RAID-EDIT2-RAID5      9.0 TB     disk6s2

/dev/disk7

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 GB     disk7

1:                  Apple_HFS Portable Firefox JLW    1.0 GB     disk7s1

Just to be sure that it is not 10.8.5 that cannot inspect a ms-dos type partition (which I doubt but) ...

diskutil verifyVolume disk1s1

if this works then there is something wrong with your EFI partiton content on disk0s1...

Just to be sure that it is not 10.8.5 that cannot inspect a ms-dos type partition (which I doubt but) ...

diskutil verifyVolume disk1s1

if this works then there is something wrong with your EFI partiton content on disk0s1...

Error starting file system verification for disk1s1: Unrecognized file system (-69846)

Thanks for the user manual.  What I'm most interest in is the actual motherboard manual showing all of the layout of the board.  If anyone could help me, sure would appreciate.

The layout is on page 3, with internal connectors starting page 13. This is the only manual there is.

Yesterday I just purchased a system with this motherboard.  El Capitan is running with only one major problem.  I can't get sound out.  In system preferences/sound, the output is pointing to AppleTV.  Any suggestions.  Second issue.  The system came with a terrible case.  Does anyone have a printout of the pins for the case to motherboard or  better yet, If anyone has a copy of the manual, I sure would appreciate.   I searched for it and I can't locate it.  Thanks in Advance.

Just purchased one too :D

its on the way  (overseas)

How do you installed "El capitan"?

just Updated your Bios and try install os x booting from usb installer?

Thanks, and Excuse my english

Use original ROM with MacPro3,1 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285920-new-os-x-compatible-motherboard-quo/?p=2238486 or use Defaults.plist.

I attached ROM with iMac13,2.

Hi, I will really appreciate your advise.

I just purchased a Z77MX-QUO-AOS motherboard (its on the way)

the seller told me to flash the lastest custom bios for it (H2N.OZ1669M) in order to install "El Capitan" in a blank hhd  (from usb installer he is sending too.)

I know Hackintosh machines usually require a lot of thinkering and i have no problem with that. Google is our friend :D

I have some doubts... :(

1) is Z77MXQUOAOS.H2O.167X-MASS.zip the lastest bios? (i cant find it here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Z77MX-QUO-AOS)

2) a clean "El capitan" installation is really a: flash bios and then run installer? o_o

With iMac 13,2 i lost two internal USB ports, with MacPro 5,1 I lost also two internal ports and with MacPro 6,1 I lost the three internal ports....the only one who keep the three internal ports working is the Mac mini Server (Late 2012).

Maybe, mac mini6,2 is just the most appropriate to that board. 

You should note that elviejo is on macosSierra beta (previously/dual-boot on El Cap 10.11.6 beta) may be a sign of things to come .. but beta software is still beta software and things might change before release.

I am running 10.11.5 with SysDef of iMac13,2 and everything is working as expected.

You should note that elviejo is on macosSierra beta (previously/dual-boot on El Cap 10.11.6 beta) may be a sign of things to come .. but beta software is still beta software and things might change before release.

I am running 10.11.5 with SysDef of iMac13,2 and everything is working as expected.

I'm still dual booting El Capitan 10.11.6 and macOSSierra beta, well triple booting because I also have Windows 10...I don't know what's different between our systems, but, with iMac 13,2 I lost one of my internal USB ports on EL Capitan and macOSSierra, with Mac Mini Server (Late 2012) all the ports work including the bluetooth and wifi (Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WLAN+Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless card)

Hello There.

I can't find the XML profiles on the memory tab

I'm missing something?

I need to activate the XML profile in order to use the four memory slots on my QUO board

Thank you all!

IMG_5661.JPG

I am only using F-USB3 (Apple Braodcom BCM94360CD in PCI-Express Adapter+BT) as internal port so it is possible that ports from F-USB1 and F_USB2 are not working for me but I would not notice it.

Still i have been researching the issue and I think I know what is happening and yes it relates to the SysDef

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/?p=2147152

Would you be able to get a IOREG, i would be curious to compare it to the one i would get with my SysDef of iMac 13,2

Hello There.

I can't find the XML profiles on the memory tab

I'm missing something?

I need to activate the XML profile in order to use the four memory slots on my QUO board

Thank you all!

XMP...your memory sticks has to support it for it to show