OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Obviously it's not a Darwin extension, so how do you expect it to work?

Hi, thank you :) Could you clarify this statement a little bit? You seem well informed and I'm not really sure what this means and what action I should take. Not looking for a handout. I'm still learning and I'm willing to do the work but a finger in the right direction would help considerably.

Thank you :) That is actually the driver I am using and it works great for storage! Definitely recommended for anyone looking to use NVMe devices for storage. Unfortunately, haven't figured out a way to use it for booting yet (unless you use Clover of course which I'm trying to avoid).

Quick question concerning rendering in FCPX. Started editing 4k video (got an a6300) and noticing a lot more rendering and stuttering during playback. I have proxy selected as playback also. Can anyone recommend a video card for rendering in FCPX with this board at around the $200 mark?

Thank you!

Quick question concerning rendering in FCPX. Started editing 4k video (got an a6300) and noticing a lot more rendering and stuttering during playback. I have proxy selected as playback also. Can anyone recommend a video card for rendering in FCPX with this board at around the $200 mark?

Thank you!

I have the same happening with Davinci Resolve 12, I have a 960 4 gig graphics card and the Blamagic Design Thunderbolt version of the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor to monitor on an external monitor (Samsung flatscreen TV that works pretty ok). My guess is if FCXP works similar to Resolve that you both would need a good graphicscard and something like the BMD Intensity Pro 4K for the monitoring/play back. I have an Panasonic G7 that records in MP4 4k as I understand. Also when I edit 4K and even this MP4 standard I recently discovered my PSU get really hot. My timeline and project resolution are set to 1080P 25 so some kind of downscaling is done by the program that might make this happen too but I know to little about this to be really sure. I have it like this since I do not have any ways I can watch or even playback 4K.

I have the same happening with Davinci Resolve 12, I have a 960 4 gig graphics card and the Blamagic Design Thunderbolt version of the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor to monitor on an external monitor (Samsung flatscreen TV that works pretty ok). My guess is if FCXP works similar to Resolve that you both would need a good graphicscard and something like the BMD Intensity Pro 4K for the monitoring/play back. I have an Panasonic G7 that records in MP4 4k as I understand. Also when I edit 4K and even this MP4 standard I recently discovered my PSU get really hot. My timeline and project resolution are set to 1080P 25 so some kind of downscaling is done by the program that might make this happen too but I know to little about this to be really sure. I have it like this since I do not have any ways I can watch or even playback 4K.

So your getting stuttering on your GTX 960? Or is it more just a couple dropped frames? As soon as I have some color correction on this 4k footage, it really starts to chug. Im on the HD4000 integrated graphics btw..

It is both and kind of random but only on the video the sound seem to work ok which is kind of strange cause on a lesser computer bot would lag and act up. Since Resolve is a Blackmagic Design program (the free version is super good) it can see my thunderbolt Ultrastudio mini monitor card which I use to monitor the output on  flatscreen TV Like I said above here. But it is the same anyway even though the graphics card doing some of the computation. I am a little unclear how much it actually can kick in in the free version of Resolve 12 but I guess it helps out a little anyway. It shows up in the settings.

This is when I have done no more than Resolves atucolor on the clips and stuff like take down highlights and just a little adjustments to color boost and saturation no nodes nothing just the very basics. I lower stuff like saturation and contrast on the cam before I shoot cause it seems to work best to bring that up in Resolve after when you edit than the other way around.

If I render it out and pull it back in in Resolve it plays back ok though. So with the HD4000 only if not FCPX is very friendly I think you are gonna be in trouble with doing edit and color work on 4k footage even Mp4.

I think the minimum the pros talk about is at one 980 and two if you can and on top of that a dedicated monitor card something like the Intensity Pro 4k Pcie card or something like it and of course a good 4k monitor that is calibrated to industry standards.

I am no expert just thinking out loud here so I can be wrong about all of this lol.

This cool mobo can do it if you give it a fair chance maybe not as a pro editing machine but to play with on a pretty high level even though it is a little old so I am glad I own two. With 1080P stuff even Raw files it works no problem at all.

My other Quo hack I use as a combined Web TV, Music recording, Live streaming machine. It recently started to warn with beeps sometimes though. I think the cpu temps getting high but I think it is the fan that needs to be clean or I am on an a too old Bios or something. I run a few pretty hungry programs I need when I broadcast and record music besides Logic and the camera switcher software so it is hard at work for sure and normally it can take it so it is a wonderful mobo for sure.

Im really thinking of getting the R9 280X because I use FCPX and the Radeon cards are optimized for the software. Anyone know of any issues with QUO motherboard and the R9 280X cards? Ive read in a couple forums that this card will work OOB with 10.8.3 and up. Has anyone had success with this card?

Hi, i tried to re-search in this topic but i can't find a clear answer: Can this motherboard perform wake on lan from power off state? If yes, what is the needed option to check in bios? right now i can only wol from standby. If i power off, the network card power off too and can't receive magic packets. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I inadvertently just updated the newest version of El Capitan OS X and now i can't boot up my Quo.  I think I have the latest 1699M BIOS.  Not sure what i should do.  Does anybody have any suggestions? 

Ok I added the motherboard and I'll put the rest of the build on my signature as soon as i can

I followed your instructions and the terminal showed me this. 

post-1645767-0-26683400-1463420931_thumb.jpg

But did not boot up successfully after I restarted.  

Should I re-install a fresh version of El Capitan? Would that get me back to where i was before the update? 

What version did you installed ? 10.11.4 or 10.11.5 (it was released earlier today) ?

Do you have a graphics cards, if so details ...?

You have a Defaults.plist file in EFI ?

Good news is that yo can boot in Recovery Mode so it ain't a hardware thing ..

Ok I added the motherboard and I'll put the rest of the build on my signature as soon as i can

Mmmm wait .. this forum is dedicated to this motherboard...tell me something I do not know

I did it late last night over here, I guess it happened when I updated from 10.11.4 to the new 10.11.5  

I downloaded a new version of El Capitan 10.11 and tried to boot that off of a thumb drive but got the same result.

heh that is a good point about the motherboard.  I know I have an Nvida GTX 680 Graphics card,  I can't access my mac right now to get a complete breakdown of the build.  

I'm sorry I am not the most advanced hackintosh person obviously.   How do I access a Defaults.plist?  do I boot of off the EFI?  

I did it late last night over here, I guess it happened when I updated from 10.11.4 to the new 10.11.5  

I downloaded a new version of El Capitan 10.11 and tried to boot that off of a thumb drive but got the same result.

heh that is a good point about the motherboard.  I know I have an Nvida GTX 680 Graphics card,  I can't access my mac right now to get a complete breakdown of the build.  

I'm sorry I am not the most advanced hackintosh person obviously.   How do I access a Defaults.plist?  do I boot of off the EFI?  

Here you go:

Thanks a lot.  Can you reassure me on how to use this?  Should I flash my BIOS with this file?  I know that process from before.  Or is this a different type of file?  

OK I flashed my Bios with that file.  I apologize for not providing enough information before.  I thought i had the most up to date BIOS files because i didn't see a new version on the website i went to.  Anyway thanks so much for your help James and Crusher.   It is now finishing the installation and I should be up in running to get my video project in on time!!