OS X compatible motherboard -> QUO

meklort
4,397 posts in this topic

Hello, been reading up on as many posts as I can an I'm about to finalize my parts order to build my system...been sitting on my QUO mobo for a year now. Quick question, what's the consensus for a solid graphics card to work with this board? I mainly work in Premiere and After Effects. Looking for something that will give me the most trouble-free install. I've only built one other hackintosh. Looking to install El Capitain. I'm currently looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC.

Thanks.

Most trouble free would be GTX 780 ..no drivers needed (they are provided  in OS X)

GTX 970 will work nicely with Nvidia web drivers.. a little more trouble as install and software updates are a bit more tricky to perform 

some AMD cards might work as good or better but I have no experience with them

• Like 1

Hi @all

Finally resolved my problem by taking out video card, resetting values in Bios and rebooting to OS X. Closing system after, reinstalling video card and all is OK. Resumed installation of Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop and after some concerns, finally succeeded. For the moment all seems to be OK. Hope it will stay like that. Next step would be to upgrade to El Capitan but I am a little bit nervous about making other changes,  Any suggestions or advice on this next move ?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I currently have a hackintosh system running on Mavericks 10.9.2 with an i7-4770K, 32 GB RAM and GeForce 570 HD 1GB. I need to upgrade OS X to run DaVinci Resolve 12. I was thinking of finally building out my QUO board system that I've been sitting on for over a year. Is there any combo of new parts I can get for this QUO system that would be remarkably faster than installing El Capitain on my current system and just updating the video card to something like a GTX 780?

Thanks. 

Building a new system using your QUO board wil not get it any faster because the Z77 architecture died 2 years ago. Intel moved to another socket which means you cannot get a better CPU than the one you already have. If you are currently running with a hard drive migrating to a SSD will probably yield a good result on perceived performance.

Reasons to build your QUO (by cannibalizing current Hackintosh) : Thunderbolt and/or FireWire expansion.. if you need/have a use for it. if not , then it is a matter if you want to do it or not but it will not be any faster than what you already have.

Now I have seen that some people use 1 card for display and 1 (or more) card for compute operations. I do not know enough about the internals of the board BIOS/Ozmosis to tell you if such an option is possible ...

@THeKiNG --> Can you shed some light for our friend benefit ?

• Like 1

@THeKiNG --> Can you shed some light for our friend benefit ?

The diff b/w 7/8 Series are bare minimal, that is why I don't bother to upgrade my stuff until at least 2 generation pass, so on CPU he will see zero performance increase/decrease.

For DaVinci Resolve 12 what it will count is the GPU.

AOS board will bring thunderbolt(it can be used for external GPU's) and only 2 X16 PCIe ports that will work @ x8 is 2 GPU cards installed.

If he want to make a DaVinci "monster" he needs to look on dual xeon setups for more pcie lanes/ports...

• Like 3

Hello,

I currently have a hackintosh system running on Mavericks 10.9.2 with an i7-4770K, 32 GB RAM and GeForce 570 HD 1GB. I need to upgrade OS X to run DaVinci Resolve 12. I was thinking of finally building out my QUO board system that I've been sitting on for over a year. Is there any combo of new parts I can get for this QUO system that would be remarkably faster than installing El Capitain on my current system and just updating the video card to something like a GTX 780?

Thanks. 

The Quo motherboard will work just fine for Davinci 12 ( and earlier) . I am running Yosemite 10.10.5 with it + Davinci Resolve 12 and both the Blackmagic Design Thunderbolt Ultrastudio mini monitor and recorder works. There seems to be a problem with using both at the same time like for recording and monitoring simultaniously though (at least with my system) which their Pcie card Intenstity Pro can do just fine but thats a "combined" unit not two separate. The Intensity Pro works too.

I do not use two graphicscard only a GTX 960 4 gig card and monitor the video via the Ultrastudio Mini Monitor on a 37 inch Samsung flatscreen tv.

I do not think you will get a faster system than your current though only the two thunderbolt ports. SSD drives would speed things up though and I read some people use a raid set up for their video drives.

That is default behaviour for the board/CPU combo as it was designed.

To enable Ivy Bridge Power Management you need to put in custom SSDT.

Lucky you, I already did it....just need find a way to send to you...

PM valid email address

They are not Apple kext and OZ only needs vanilla install so they were installed by some tool ..i suspect M___Beast

Could you make this custom SSDT available for all through the Quo wiki?

How much of a performance difference does this account for?

thanks!

For those of you who have upgraded from Yosemite to El Capitan on your Quo:

Worth the upgrade?

I suppose I could do that.

All it does is set the appropriate flag for OS X to enable Ivy Bridge Power managment (load X86PlaftormPlugin.kext at startup).

In itself it does not bring any performance enhancement but it does bring more energy efficiency ( for example my i5-3570K will idle at 12x instead of 16 x) and more speedsteps are being used by OS X. It does not define new speedsteps.

Upgrade to El Capitan : It did not hurt me but at the same TIME I cannot say there are any compelling use cases for me to do so.

If your signature is up to date, I suggest you first disable TRIM enabler, upgrade to 10.10.5 (you can now enable TRIM without TRIM Enabler by typing "sudo trimforce enable" in Terminal), Upgrade QUO Bios to latest version and then you can proceed to upgrade to El Capitan

I suppose I could do that.

All it does is set the appropriate flag for OS X to enable Ivy Bridge Power managment (load X86PlaftormPlugin.kext at startup).

In itself it does not bring any performance enhancement but it does bring more energy efficiency ( for example my i5-3570K will idle at 12x instead of 16 x) and more speedsteps are being used by OS X. It does not define new speedsteps.

I also would be grateful if you could make it available.

Here it is : SSDT for Ivy Bridge CPU

Inside the zip file, you will find the .aml file that you have to put in /EFi/Oz/Acpi/Load and the .dsl file which is the source code, if you want to look at what I did just open the .dsl file with a text editor and do a find 'Patch'

This is for QUO Board only with Ivy Bridge CPU.. installing it on anything else is a dumb move.

Again he only thing this patch does is to enable OS X to recognize that 'Hey, there is a Ivy Bridge CPU in there so I will load my Ivy Bridge power management routines',  after that it is up to OS X to manage the CPU.

It does not overrride any BIOS value or define new speedsteps not already provided in BIOS (was told it was up to 4.2GHz),

I currently run with stock values, now that all my mecanical hd have been moved to a NAS and that my system is stable maybe it is time for me to experiment with Overclocking. Since the latest BIOS is basen on F2N I guess the offset method should be available.

Ain't that beautiful.. Overclocked to 4.1GHz

so awesome, my system is water cooled and should hit 4.2ghz easily, but i have never been able to get the OC to work in OS X. can you explain your settings? (BIOS, anything else besides SSDT)

Thanks!

g\

so awesome, my system is water cooled and should hit 4.2ghz easily, but i have never been able to get the OC to work in OS X. can you explain your settings? (BIOS, anything else besides SSDT)

Thanks!

g\

Latest BIOS (H2O.XMAS)

Frequency Settings -> Advanced CPU Core Features

Turbo Mode unchanged from default value (Auto)

Turbo Ratio (1-Core Active) = 41

Turbo Ratio (2-Core Active) = 41

Turbo Ratio (3-Core Active) = 40

Turbo Ratio (4-Core Active) = 39

Haven't changed any voltage values either.

I am using a SysDef iMac13,2 since it was the closest thing back when i built it and it has a Ivy Bridge CPU.. have no idea if OS X uses the SysDef in that regard.

Haven't tried to undervolt it yet ...

For some reason I'm not getting X86PlatformPlugin kext loaded and don't see any ACPI Table in ioreg. I have CPU set to 4.0GHz and turbo mode disabled in the BIOS.

Check firmware log (bdmesg) to see if Ozmosis is seeing the SSDT (make sure you put the .aml file in /Efi/Oz/Acpi/Load and not the .dsl file )

Why did you disabled Turbo Mode ?

Well, the good news is I found out why it wasn't finding the SSDT. It obviously sees my backup disk as the first disk and was looking in the EFI partition there. The bad news is when I put the SSDT on that drive as well and rebooted, I got a system with a fixed clock speed of 800MHz! bdmesg confirmed it had replaced the default ssdts with the new one.

So you leave the basic CPU clock speed  multiplier at 34 for 3.4GHz?

Exactly

The bad news is when I put the SSDT on that drive as well and rebooted, I got a system with a fixed clock speed of 800MHz! bdmesg confirmed it had replaced the default ssdts with the new one.

First re-enable Turbo mode.

You could try to clear NVRAM to make sure there are no left-overs ...

Out of curiosity what SysDef are you using ?

I had already turned turbo mode back on. I had a small script that set the NVRAM variables for my setup (13,1), so before I reset the NVRAM I created a Defaults.plist and put it in EFI/Oz, rebooted and checked that it had been picked up and all the variables set correctly. I then rebooted and did a Command+Option+P+R.

2 hours later I had a working system again, after reinstalling the BIOS and loads of other stuff, as after the reset the BIOS didn't recognise any HDs and would only offer the shell or the DVD drive as boot options. Plugging in a backup disk got an HD in the boot list and I was then able to reconnect the primary HD, reboot and set it as the boot disk.

Anyway, once back up with the BIOS set up with defaults and just the turbo values upped to 42,42,41,40, I tried the ssdt again. Same problem as before - I end up with an 800MHz system.

I'll create a 13,2 sysdef and see if that makes any difference.

Try this :

Leave the SSDT in place

Go to BIOS, Load optimized defaults (F7 if i remember correctly), Save & Exit

Are you still stuck at 800Mhz ? try to put some load on the processor (run Prime 95) and see if the multiplier changes under load

Thanks for all the help. Loading optimised defaults pointed to the turbo speeds or vt, as they are the only things I change and I somehow convinced myself it was vt and not the turbo speeds (I tried 42,42,41,40)

It looks as though the upper limit for my CPU is 4.0GHz without tweaking the core voltage. I expect the locking down to 800MHz is built in somewhere if the BIOS finds the clockspeed too high for the power available. It now idles at 1.2GHz instead of 1.6 and runs up to 4.0 on single core. I might play with voltages later, but I've spent enough time on it for a while.

Thanks again for the ssdt and assistance.

Again he only thing this patch does is to enable OS X to recognize that 'Hey, there is a Ivy Bridge CPU in there so I will load my Ivy Bridge power management routines',  after that it is up to OS X to manage the CPU.

It does not overrride any BIOS value or define new speedsteps not already provided in BIOS (was told it was up to 4.2GHz),

I currently run with stock values, now that all my mecanical hd have been moved to a NAS and that my system is stable maybe it is time for me to experiment with Overclocking. Since the latest BIOS is basen on F2N I guess the offset method should be available.

So max overclock for El Capitan is only 4.2Ghz? Im having same issue (SSDT) but i'm dual booting mavericks and El Capitan. Mavericks reads 4.6Ghz but El Capitan reads 4.2Ghz. I've tried disabling speedstep, turbo mode, remodified the SSDT with my own custom one, nothing seems to work.