Which CPU do you REALLY need...

6 posts in this topic

Stumbled upon a site that compares CPUs for you - Intel v Intel, Intel v AMD, i5 v i7, etc... Its a pretty cool site and hopefully this will help you pick your next processor.

cpuboss.com.png

• Like 1

Well, Think about it like this....

Q. How many cores dos OS X need?

A 1. If it needs 2 cores and 2 threads then a Intel Core 2 Duo with the highest CPU speed.

A 2. If it takes 4 cores and 4 threads then Intel Core 2 Extreme again with high CPU speed.

A 3. Intel i7 takes 4 cores and 8 threads but dos OS X need that many cores and threads?

Also to mention what would you be doing on your Mac?

Facetime HD? Intel Core 2 Extreme

Photo editing? Intel Core 2 Duo

Video editing and Music editing? Intel i7

AMD's in my eyes isn't made for Macs

If you look only for a CPU model (frecv, cores and so on) you risk to make a disequilibrate computer, you need to coordonate a CPU with speed of RAM, speed of GPU and the spped of HDD to avoid bottlenecks.

So the CPU it self not say much about a computer and his capabilities.

If you look only for a CPU model (frecv, cores and so on) you risk to make a disequilibrate computer, you need to coordonate a CPU with speed of RAM, speed of GPU and the spped of HDD to avoid bottlenecks.

:) true

If you look only for a CPU model (frec, v, cores and so on) you risk to make a disequilibrate computer, you need to coordonate a CPU with speed of RAM, speed of GPU and the speed of HDD to avoid bottlenecks.

Agreed - By no means should this be the ONLY tool you use, these tools are here just to help you pick the CPU. Perhaps I'll start a thread that is more generic so people can post online resources for helping choose the best system components for their needs/budget.